HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Where do I start? (Power Skating) (Ann Arbor, Michigan)

Old
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Anonymous

vCash: 500
Where do I start? (Power Skating) (Ann Arbor, Michigan)

Hello fellows. I am 17 years old. I just got all the gear I need to play some ice hockey - it all feels good, fits great and what not. But I have a little problem...

Where do I start? I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I am looking specifically for lessons on power skating - I can get on ice and move around but not efficiently and I cannot skate backwards. Does anybody know where I can get lessons for my age? Most of the places I have seen are for younger people!

Please let me know if you have some suggestions!

Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:07 AM
It Kills Me

I'm pretty sure they'll let you join the kids power skating lessons. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Like when I went I was like 13 and the kids were like 8-10, but then again I knew the people who ran it.

Or public skate.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:41 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Lots of rinks have sticks & pucks sessions and may have someone you can ask to give you some lessons. Otherwise you can find a DVD such as
http://www.amazon.com/Robby-Glantzs-...5844088&sr=8-3

and then just practice what he tells you on your own.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Icer

A Laura Stamm Power Skating clinic is scheduled for August 18-21, 2008 at the Cube. Group B is for 11-Adult.

Laura Stamm Schedule

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Anonymous

Thank you everybody for your replies so far.

Icer: I must have passed up the ages on accident when I was looking through there before... have you ever participated in one of the clinics? The website says that some basic skills are needed ("The skills are roughly what you would get having played organized hockey for at least one year.") and of course I do not fit that. Any suggestions?

Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:52 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Thank you everybody for your replies so far.

Icer: I must have passed up the ages on accident when I was looking through there before... have you ever participated in one of the clinics? The website says that some basic skills are needed ("The skills are roughly what you would get having played organized hockey for at least one year.") and of course I do not fit that. Any suggestions?
I took this clinic a few ago (mid 30's at the time) with my daughter and it is excellent. If I were you, I'd check your local rinks for some learn to skate programs. Most have adult classes. That should give you enough of a foundation to sign up for the Laura Stamm program in August, just in time to put it to use for the fall session.

Robbie Glanz also has adult groups and is very similar to the Laura Stamm program. A guy on my team around the same age as me did it a couple years ago.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
I took this clinic a few ago (mid 30's at the time) with my daughter and it is excellent. If I were you, I'd check your local rinks for some learn to skate programs. Most have adult classes. That should give you enough of a foundation to sign up for the Laura Stamm program in August, just in time to put it to use for the fall session.

Robbie Glanz also has adult groups and is very similar to the Laura Stamm program. A guy on my team around the same age as me did it a couple years ago.
I'd second this advice. The learn-to-skate instructors will likely have an idea of what skills you'd be expected to have for various hockey programs at the rink, and when the learn-to-skate session is over they should be able to make recommendations about what you should do next.

Also, you're in an area that I'm pretty sure has several rinks- go to a couple of different ones and watch some open hockey/stick and puck sessions. I've found that every rink in my area is a little different- some allow pickup games, some don't; some attract a lot of people, others are almost empty; some are full of A/B level beer leaguers and others are primarily dads and their little guys (and girls). If you can find one that's fairly empty and/or has a lot of younger kids or beginners on it, that's probably your best bet. Just make sure that you're comfortable stopping and changing direction with some speed, since you'll need to be able to avoid other players.

Good luck! I started a couple years ago at 24, and it's the best thing I ever did.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Icer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I've seen a wide range of talent at these clinics, from beginners who can barely skate all the way to junior and high school players. If the clinics sound too intimidating check out Hockey North America. They've got a beginner hockey school for adults. HNA Detroit plays in Melvindale. I've seen other hockey schools for adults but they are far less organized. These guys will teach you how to play even if you've never skated before.

The way the program works is you attend several classes that teach you the basics. They cover things like skating, shooting, passing, hockey stops, and skating backwards. At the end of the classroom sessions your class plays a couple of games against teams from the beginner league. At the end of the program, your class forms a team, elects a captain, and joins the beginner league the following season.

It's expensive, but I've known a couple of guys who went through the program and thought it was great.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote