HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LeNeveu & Montoya

Old
03-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
LeNeveu & Montoya

Since the trade:

LeNeveu:
2-2, .958SV% 1.01GAA 1SO
Before the trade:
9-7-3 .911SV% 2.66 GAA 1SO

Montoya:
2-1 .943SV% 1.63 GAA 0 SO
Before the trade:
16-8-3 .908 SV% 2.54 GAA 0SO

looks like a trade that is working out for both teams. Both players seem to be back on track.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Chimp

Giv'em one and a half season and we'll see what happens. Temporary boosts for players after trades or injuries are quite common I think.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Nich

yeah, but i def want to see the rangers re-sign lenny and winkii. let holt walk

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 08:53 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

the fact remains both these guys have EXCELLENT goaltenders in front of them.

If Al was the piece that got Hossa for Sjo done its all good

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 11:53 AM
dank

3-4 games? come on..

i hope both do well

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2008, 12:02 PM
gravytrain6t

Bad Pick according to the "Experts."

I remember watching this draft. I forgot who exactly was covering it though. But they had nothing but negative things to say about this Rangers pick. Claiming that Michigan was such a good hockey team defensively and offensively that Montoya did not have to do very much. The last I heard Wilkiman from Finland was their number one goal tender and now it's Holt?? Sometimes I wish I could watch some of those Wolf Pack games like I do the Rangers just so I can really see who's doing what in the games besides just looking at the stats on a web site.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Edge

Overall, Montoya went where he was going to go in that draft. If it wasn't us, it was going to be Florida.

Not obviously it didn't work out the way the Rangers or any of us wanted, but I'm pretty okay with them rolling the dice on Montoya at that time and in that context.

We didn't know what Lundqvist really was at that point, Blackburn was pretty much done and the goaltending situation really didn't seem as closed door as it does now.

Personally, I still think Montoya could be a good NHL goalie. I don't see the same thing in LeNeveu regardless of their numbers. I'm not even sure if this team has LeNeveu in their system next season, let alone whether he turns into anything for them.

Montoya didn't light the world on fire in the AHL, but he wasn't a gapping wound in the net either. Reality is that if we didn't have Lundqvist, Montoya probably would've played in a few NHL games by now.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Choice

I wanted Olesz in that draft, and I don't think he'd be a huge help to the Rangers right now.

Not mad at the pick at all.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
I wanted Olesz in that draft, and I don't think he'd be a huge help to the Rangers right now.

Not mad at the pick at all.
Olesz still is exactly what he was in the '04 draft, a very fascinating mystery.

You look at his talent and he has games where he looks like he could be a star. Then you have other games and he looks like he is going to be a very nice third line player. Whenever I watch him, I always notice him on the ice. But then you look at the stats, throughout most of his career, and they don't seem to ever really equal the sum of his talent.

He's a legit NHL player. The question is whether he can become a star or stays as a very good third line player.

Personally, Olesz was my pick for the Rangers in that draft.

Old
03-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Choice

Yeah I wanted Olesz because I thought he had the chance to be an heavy offensive producer, and I was pretty dissapointed with the Montoya pick because I didn't think the Rangers needed a goalie at all.

But if we had Olesz, who is currently a good third liner, as you said, he would just be another one of those types of guys who we have already. Hossa/Sjostrom, Callahan, etc.

So even though Montoya has still not even cracked the NHL, I'm more happy/understanding of that pick today than I was on the day of that draft.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Edge

Personally, I would have loved to see a kid like Olesz on a line with a player like Jagr.

Something tells me they would've clicked.

Old
03-16-2008, 06:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
yeah, but i def want to see the rangers re-sign lenny and winkii. let holt walk
Can we please not refer to Wiikman as Winky?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:55 PM
In The Flesh

wheres Monty playing? whos PHO ahl team?

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 06:59 PM
caldercup0

Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
wheres Monty playing? whos PHO ahl team?
San Antonio Rampage

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 06:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

These two players are nothing more than AHL goalies/NHL #2's.

Montoya isn't seeing the light of day with Bryzgalov in Phoenix.Even if Phoenix tries to build up Montoya to trade him by having him play behind Bryzgalov,what is he worth in the open market?Playing 15 games is going to increase his value that much?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 07:34 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Montoya isn't seeing the light of day with Bryzgalov in Phoenix.Even if Phoenix tries to build up Montoya to trade him by having him play behind Bryzgalov,what is he worth in the open market?Playing 15 games is going to increase his value that much?
I guess it could build his value from a 5th round pick to a 4th rounder. Goalies just do not fetch anything anymore in trades. I'm not lecturing you... I'm just contributing.

Way it looks now is certain guys are untradable (under 99% of the circumstances) like Lundqvist, Price, Luongo now, Kipper, Brodeur, etc. Those guys could fetch a huge bounty but their teams wouldn't make the trade without another goalie from that level coming back. After this tier you have goalies returning 2nd, 3rd round picks at best. After this tier, look at the montoya trade, you are now a throw in.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Outside of Bryzgalof, they have nothing in the system outside of a good young Swedish goalie in Joel Gistedt, and Josh Tordjman who has played about 40 games for San Antonio. Montoya will mostly be battling these two for #2 in the organization, and should come up to the NHL and play approximately 20-25 games next year. Whether that will be enough to lift his NHL stock, I don't know, but it's a better route for him than what he was facing here in NY.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 04:28 PM
OldBlueSeats

I wanted Lauri Tukonen

OldBlueSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
Outside of Bryzgalof, they have nothing in the system outside of a good young Swedish goalie in Joel Gistedt, and Josh Tordjman who has played about 40 games for San Antonio. Montoya will mostly be battling these two for #2 in the organization, and should come up to the NHL and play approximately 20-25 games next year. Whether that will be enough to lift his NHL stock, I don't know, but it's a better route for him than what he was facing here in NY.
Outside of Bryzgalov?Who do the Rangers have outside of Lundqvist?You make it seem like Bryzgalov is a slouch.Phoenix also has Mikael Tellqvist signed for next season at $800,000 and Montoya isn't better than Tellqvist.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote