HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do You guys hate Sather as a GM??

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Why do You guys hate Sather as a GM??

Ya He's terrible as coach but, when he came he was told to build winner and he has loaded team with all star players, and didn't giveup much to acquire those players, from any GM's perspective he's done great job as GM, he hasn't traded any top prospect from the team yet, so how could fans say he hasn't done much, Drafting is not something GM does, its Scouts job to find an gem, Ya I understand all the hate and everything but he's done everything to make this team winner, and if they can't manage to put it togather its not his problem, but then again he has to give coaching duty to more worthy person then himself, Sather has been fortunate enough to get involved in more then one deals, where it was in his favour, and didn't giveup much, just ask Quinn, he was furious last year when Rngers acquired Kovalev from Pittsuberg.

Old
02-03-2004, 11:13 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Ya He's terrible as coach but, when he came he was told to build winner and he has loaded team with all star players, and didn't giveup much to acquire those players, from any GM's perspective he's done great job as GM, he hasn't traded any top prospect from the team yet, so how could fans say he hasn't done much, Drafting is not something GM does, its Scouts job to find an gem, Ya I understand all the hate and everything but he's done everything to make this team winner, and if they can't manage to put it togather its not his problem, but then again he has to give coaching duty to more worthy person then himself, Sather has been fortunate enough to get involved in more then one deals, where it was in his favour, and didn't giveup much, just ask Quinn, he was furious last year when Rngers acquired Kovalev from Pittsuberg.
He assembled a team that is not only very difficult to coach and underachieving but also built for the wronge era. He's refused to hire proven, big time head coaches because his ego is in the way. He REFUSES to use youth no matter what. The farm although improved is still ****ty, that I don't blame him completely for but it was after all him who insisted on trading a fourth for Boris Mironov and another pick for a few games of Josh Green. The few impact prospects we have are rotting. He's put us in salary cap hell, with no flexability at all.

Bottom line, as a GM he has 4 losing, non playoff years.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Burberry Manning

Quote:
He assembles a team who is fatally flawed. A team is built from the net out, and Sather has taken the opposite approach. And where are all of these all-stars that you speak of? As I see it, only Mark Messier is an all-star. The rest of these guys WERE all-stars but are passed their prime. Plus he HAS traded some top prospects. Guys like Novak, Brendl, Kloucek, and our 1st rounder that was traded all has extremely high value for us at the time. And all they wound up getting us was a year of Pavel Bure, an inconsistent goaltender (who cant gain confidence from management), and 2.5 years of Eric Lindros' shell. Add into effect that we also lost Hlavac, Johnson, and Murray, all who had decent value as well. Then we also have the "Poti/York" disaster. Hey, that Radek Dvorak kid is playing pretty well now also. So basically Glen built us a team that is financially tied up come CBA time, is dreadfully old, but will please those nostalgic fans who remember when the guys on our team WERE good.

Old
02-04-2004, 05:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Let me count the ways

Here is a man who was given carte blanche to be successful. From the very start his vision was short-sighted. Instead of re-signing Schneider, a player who wanted to stay in NY, and has played at an All-Star level, he signed a noted dog of a player in Malakhov. After supposedly preaching accountability, he let Theo Fleury run roughshod over this team. His coaching hirings have been a disaster, especially last summer when, in his brilliance, he declines to hire both Hitchcock and Burns and brings in Trottier instead. He decides to trade for Lindros to build around, and then spends most of last year and this year under-playing him and, from time to time, make him the team fall guy. In the process he pins his hopes on a fragile player that everyone in the league knows is one hit from retirement, and loses three trading chips when the likes of Weight and Peca were available. He continues to sign the likes of Ciger, Karpa and other such crap, thereby obstructing the path of the youth in the organization. He has no clue how to put together a team in reagrds to chemsitry. He continues to attempt an '80's style of hockey when the rest of the hockey world is in the new millenium. And, the sheer hypocrisy of his approach to acquiring every player with a price tag, as opposed to how the they might fit into the team is galling. especially when this the same man who declared that anyone could build a winner in NY with the amount of money available. And, there is so much more that I'm forgetting....

Old
02-04-2004, 06:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Here is a man who was given carte blanche to be successful. From the very start his vision was short-sighted. Instead of re-signing Schneider, a player who wanted to stay in NY, and has played at an All-Star level, he signed a noted dog of a player in Malakhov. After supposedly preaching accountability, he let Theo Fleury run roughshod over this team. His coaching hirings have been a disaster, especially last summer when, in his brilliance, he declines to hire both Hitchcock and Burns and brings in Trottier instead. He decides to trade for Lindros to build around, and then spends most of last year and this year under-playing him and, from time to time, make him the team fall guy. In the process he pins his hopes on a fragile player that everyone in the league knows is one hit from retirement, and loses three trading chips when the likes of Weight and Peca were available. He continues to sign the likes of Ciger, Karpa and other such crap, thereby obstructing the path of the youth in the organization. He has no clue how to put together a team in reagrds to chemsitry. He continues to attempt an '80's style of hockey when the rest of the hockey world is in the new millenium. And, the sheer hypocrisy of his approach to acquiring every player with a price tag, as opposed to how the they might fit into the team is galling. especially when this the same man who declared that anyone could build a winner in NY with the amount of money available. And, there is so much more that I'm forgetting....
Michael Peca and Doug Weight have not exactly set the league on fire since they were moved.Both players have been available at various points during the past three seasons.Zdeno Ciger was here for what?20 games?

Old
02-04-2004, 06:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

hindsight is 20/20.Everyone is an expert after the fact.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:42 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Michael Peca and Doug Weight have not exactly set the league on fire since they were moved.Both players have been available at various points during the past three seasons.Zdeno Ciger was here for what?20 games?

Both players have found a way to get their respective teams into the playoffs. Both players were not and have been the medical risk that Lindros was and remains.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

What a copout!

Quote:

Sather had everything in his favor coming in here. He had Smith's last three years as a built in excuse to tear everything down. He had the opportunity to completely rebuild the organization and set it up for the next ten years. Instead, he couldn't find a proper head coach, especially at a time when two quality head coaches hit the market. And, don't give me hindsight is 20/20. Ranger fans were pleading for either Hitchcock or Burns to be given a shot. Instead, he hires Trottier, a newcomer, to handle a team that cried out for a heavy hand. He has wasted whatever trading chips he had on players that simply don't fit together. I was not against trading York, Malhotra, Hlavac, Dvorak or Brendl. But, for what was acquired, the pieces have never fit. Sather has made this franchise a joke, and the league considers him a relic of an era long passed. Yeah, that's 20/20 hindsight. Give me a break!

Old
02-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Laches

Quote:
---Ah, the standard response thrown out by Sather apologists when presented with a laundry list of his objectively idiotic moves. Unfortunately, it has no validity, as the moves Sather made were strongly criticized by most of the people here, going back even to the old rivals board AT THE TIME THEY WERE MADE.

The Malakhov/Schneider fiasco, the Lindros deal, and the Poti deal in particular got pretty thoroughly trashed in the days leading up to and immediately following their completion. Hindsight? Hardly. This is foresight at work here, not hindsight, and it didn't take a whole lot of it to see that the team Sather constructed was not going to be a winner in the NHL in this millenium.

Old
02-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Laches

Quote:
Michael Peca and Doug Weight have not exactly set the league on fire since they were moved.
---I'd say they've ignited a lot more than anybody Sather has brought in.

Old
02-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Laches

Quote:
from any GM's perspective he's done great job as GM
---Under his reign, the Rangers have continued to carry the league's highest payroll and are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the seventh consecutive season (fourth under Sather). Under what definition of "great job" does this fall?

Old
02-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Larry Melnyk

Oh god, another one of these bait posts???

Let's see, all these stars and NO TEAM? Almost all players on the downswing of their career or injury riddled before they came here? A total inability to bring in team needed components instead of NAMES that aren't worth crapola? A refusal to rebuild the farm system in lieu of his High Risk/No reward moves which have left the Rangers in, at the least, the bottom quarter of all farm systems? And all this was done, for what, the possibility of the 8th PO spot which at no time in all of Sather's years here has it ever looked like a possibility..

Old
02-04-2004, 08:00 AM
xevious

Many reasons to hate Sather:
-Treating a class act like John MacLean with no respect, saying his "giddy up doesn't giddy up anymore."
-Threatening to "retire" fan favorite and '94 hero Adam Graves (even though it may have been time for Gravy to go).
-Signing longtime rivals Lindros (yeah, great move), Kasparitus (kasparminus for his first year), Holik (inconsistent), Trottier for coach? Of the Rangers? Are you kidding?
-Threatening to bench/send to the minors underperforming millionaires and not following through.
-Running 18 yr. old Dan Blackburn into the ground.

Yeah he has made some shrewd deals but those have been obvious salary dumps. NY is a results based town, I don't care if the payroll is $25 million or $90 mil, I just want the team to win. And Sather ain't getting results with all the resources in the world. He's a fraud. I want my team back. Nobody in NY cares either, not the press and the fans are next to tune this team out.

Old
02-04-2004, 08:07 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I must reiterate the biggest reason...

of why I hate Sather - he has completely turned this team into the laughingstock of the NHL. He has spent ridiculous gobs of money with no other goal than to hust get this team in the POs. Unlike Smith, who at least showed that he cared about both the organization and its fans, Sather exhibits complete disdain for the fans. He is nothing more than an arrogant bumble-F!!!

Old
02-04-2004, 08:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Simply put: regardless of personnel and the farm system, this team is no closer to making the playoffs then they were when Sather took over.

This is now his team (in everyway possible - his players, his draft picks, hell he's coaching the damn team). The team lacks a personality, work ethic, and heart. He has not addressed the teams issues on defense. He has attempted to rebuild a mid 80s Oiler team with All-Stars (or should I say former All-Stars) at every position but without an cohesion. He is stuck playing a brand of hockey that is long since ended and he has refused to change with the times. Add in the fact that he refuses to hire a proven coach for the simple reason that his ego will not allow him to.

02-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
of why I hate Sather - he has completely turned this team into the laughingstock of the NHL. He has spent ridiculous gobs of money with no other goal than to hust get this team in the POs. Unlike Smith, who at least showed that he cared about both the organization and its fans, Sather exhibits complete disdain for the fans. He is nothing more than an arrogant bumble-F!!!
Jas-- Man, you know I'm with you..But, as you point to in the second half of your post, you know what might even be worse then becoming the laughingstock of the nHL? It's becoming a laughingstock or, worse, an afterthought to many of the team's own fans...Search the web, talk to friends, it's all the same, peolple who were hard core fans just don't seem to care as much anymore about the Rangers and if they do, many have turned bitter, pissed off and incredulous to what Sather has turned the TEAM (and I use that term loosely) into...Bottom line, this team and organization has been FUBARed by Sather, to the point where it's own fan base can't and doesn't want to recognize it.....

Old
02-04-2004, 08:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Simply put: regardless of personnel and the farm system, this team is no closer to making the playoffs then they were when Sather took over.

Speaking of farm system, another reason to hate sather is for not taking a chance on Ryan Hollweg cause of concussions. Well he took a chance on Lindros, why not do the same on a younger player, oh sorry to get everyone even more mad, Hollweg was named WHL player of the week. Ryan Hollweg WHL player of the week Oh and former preseason Rangers tryout Chris St. Jacques was the runner up. SATHER DROP DEAD.

Old
02-04-2004, 08:52 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

As you so eloquently posted yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Jas-- Man, you know I'm with you..But, as you point to in the second half of your post, you know what might even be worse then becoming the laughingstock of the nHL? It's becoming a laughingstock or, worse, an afterthought to many of the team's own fans...Search the web, talk to friends, it's all the same, peolple who were hard core fans just don't seem to care as much anymore about the Rangers and if they do, many have turned bitter, pissed off and incredulous to what Sather has turned the TEAM (and I use that term loosely) into...Bottom line, this team and organization has been FUBARed by Sather, to the point where it's own fan base can't and doesn't want to recognize it.....

I was actually disturbed by the win over the Canucks on Monday. You were right about a growing momentum for the disposal of Sather. It would be so typical of this team to screw that up, too. I actually welcome Sather's continued ineptitude, simply because, at some point, even a clueless jackass like Dolan has to see what's in front of him, right?! For all of Smith's faults, at least you sensed some love for the organization and its fans. Sather cares nothing about that. He is clouded by his own arrogance and the rotted stench of a man not only living in his past glory, but ignoring how much damage he is doing to that past. Writers like Brophy, Mackenzie, Kelley and Morganti are killing the guy for being a relic. His own players have taken to not only calling him out, but even practising while he goes on obliviously. Jeez, we thought Muckler was the life-sized replica of Mr. Magoo. Sather is the spitting image of that myopic cartoon character. And, Little Jimmy contiues to shine his shoes for him. WHAT A JOKE!!!

Old
02-04-2004, 03:32 PM
oldtimer

See Mike Brophy's article in this week's Hockey News. That will answer your questions.

Closed Thread