HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Michalek is awesome

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2010, 08:32 AM
CitizenCoyote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Well this is a random thread to dig up.

Kings fan here... curious about Michalek's status. Is he thought to be staying with the team no matter what? Or did I miss where he signed an extension?

I think he is awesome too. What kind of raise are you guys expecting him to get?
I don't think he's signed an extension and will be a UFA. I hope we can get a home team discount for him, but I'm guessing he'll be in the 3.25 to 3.5 million range. He's not a particularly well-kept secret anymore.

Old
01-26-2010, 10:40 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I'm guessing $3.5m to $4.25m depending on the length of contract.

Old
01-26-2010, 02:53 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Holy necro thread batman.

But a good one, Michalek is in fact awesome. Actually we should just have a 'Michalek is awesome' post stickied at the top of the board, with no replies in it and locked.

Old
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Thanks for the replies.

So you guys think there is a chance he could be leaving via FA?

That would suck for you guys... but if it were to happen... man would he look good back there with Johnson or Greene.

Every time we play eachother, Michalek stands out more than any other player, besides Boedker and Bryz.

Is Michalek getting his PP time or still being used just to shutdown?

Old
01-26-2010, 03:44 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Thanks for the replies.

So you guys think there is a chance he could be leaving via FA?

That would suck for you guys... but if it were to happen... man would he look good back there with Johnson or Greene.

Every time we play eachother, Michalek stands out more than any other player, besides Boedker and Bryz.

Is Michalek getting his PP time or still being used just to shutdown?
Last two years the Yotes had a clear shutdown line, not so much this season. Michalek plays with Jovo a lot. On occasion he gets out on the PP when there isn't a forward with Jovo, but not a lot.

Old
01-26-2010, 04:30 PM
CitizenCoyote

I think Michalek gives Jovo the freedom to do what he does. It's a good pairing. The team has a substantial investment in Jovo (I think around $7 million) next year, and it would be nice to keep the pairing together. If the market gets crazy for Michalek in free agency, I'm not sure who would take his spot next year.

One of the real downsides to being one of the teams competing for the top 8 at this point in the year is that if we come close but don't make it, we miss a lot of opportunities. First, of course, is the draft. But second -- think about what Michalek would fetch at the trade deadline? I'm guessing someone would be willing to give up a lot, even for a rental. Not that I'd like to see it happen unless I knew there was a good chance he'd come back next year as a FA, but just another reminder how disappointing it will be if this team is on the outside looking in at the end of the year.

Old
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Lorenzo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesVisitor View Post
I think Michalek gives Jovo the freedom to do what he does. It's a good pairing. The team has a substantial investment in Jovo (I think around $7 million) next year, and it would be nice to keep the pairing together. If the market gets crazy for Michalek in free agency, I'm not sure who would take his spot next year.

One of the real downsides to being one of the teams competing for the top 8 at this point in the year is that if we come close but don't make it, we miss a lot of opportunities. First, of course, is the draft. But second -- think about what Michalek would fetch at the trade deadline? I'm guessing someone would be willing to give up a lot, even for a rental. Not that I'd like to see it happen unless I knew there was a good chance he'd come back next year as a FA, but just another reminder how disappointing it will be if this team is on the outside looking in at the end of the year.
Why would the Coyotes trade their best defenceman?

Old
01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1000 View Post
Because he's a UFA, and they can sign him next year for the same money whether or not they trade him. (Except that they then would give another team the chance to negotiate with him during the last 8-10 weeks of the season.)

I'm saying if the Coyotes were out of the playoff hunt, he we be exactly the kind of player that you trade and get a ton of value for as a rental. But they aren't. My point is that if they don't make the playoffs, it will be a bummer that they could have been sellers and gotten a lot of future value.

My main point is how tough it is to be a team in 5-11th place in the West. You compete to the end to get to the playoffs, and 3 teams won't make it. All they will have done is worsen their draft position and lose the chance to get solid prospects or draft picks at the trade cutoff by giving away the UFAs that won't do them any good anyway. The way the NHL is currently constructed, it's very destructive to be the team that is always on the bubble but doesn't make it to the playoffs. It's hard to get better.

Old
01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Lorenzo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesVisitor View Post
Because he's a UFA, and they can sign him next year for the same money whether or not they trade him. (Except that they then would give another team the chance to negotiate with him during the last 8-10 weeks of the season.)

I'm saying if the Coyotes were out of the playoff hunt, he we be exactly the kind of player that you trade and get a ton of value for as a rental. But they aren't. My point is that if they don't make the playoffs, it will be a bummer that they could have been sellers and gotten a lot of future value.

My main point is how tough it is to be a team in 5-11th place in the West. You compete to the end to get to the playoffs, and 3 teams won't make it. All they will have done is worsen their draft position and lose the chance to get solid prospects or draft picks at the trade cutoff by giving away the UFAs that won't do them any good anyway. The way the NHL is currently constructed, it's very destructive to be the team that is always on the bubble but doesn't make it to the playoffs. It's hard to get better.
There are some players you just don't trade. Sign him and keep him happy. End of story!

Old
01-26-2010, 10:19 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Actually we should just have a 'Michalek is awesome' post stickied at the top of the board, with no replies in it and locked.
This.

Old
01-27-2010, 11:53 AM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
There are some players you just don't trade. Sign him and keep him happy. End of story!
I think that boat has sailed. They had abundant chance to extend him and didn't, likely mostly because of the off-season uncertainty. He's going to become a UFA. This will likely be the most significant contract of his professional life. This is his "set my family up for life" contract, and he will have suitors.

If we were out of the playoff hunt, those are the kind of players you trade for a high return if you can get it. That's how a bad team gets better in a cost-controlled way. If they really want to stay with you, you can sign them in the off season, which is what the Coyotes need to do anyway.

I would probably put him at or near the top of my list of untradable players too. And the reality is that we're not likely to be sellers at the trade cut off, so it's a nonissue. But that's not the point I was making.

Old
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Stump

Quote:
I don't know, why would Atlanta trade Kovalchuk?

Same answer: you trade them if you are about to lose them to free agency.

No one here wants to see Z gone, but if he makes it clear he's walking away on July 1, or his demands are unreasonable, you have to have to consider trading him for something of value.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
I don't know, why would Atlanta trade Kovalchuk?

Same answer: you trade them if you are about to lose them to free agency.

No one here wants to see Z gone, but if he makes it clear he's walking away on July 1, or his demands are unreasonable, you have to have to consider trading him for something of value.
Indeed and Morris and JayBo are great examples. The question though is do you make such a trade at the deadline or around the start of free agency?
Part of that decision depends if the team is in the playoff hunt or not.

At least that's how I interpret this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Indeed and Morris and JayBo are great examples. The question though is do you make such a trade at the deadline or around the start of free agency?
Part of that decision depends if the team is in the playoff hunt or not.

At least that's how I interpret this.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think if you are in the hunt, you can't trade him at the deadline, unless part of the return is a top pairing defenceman who can replace those minutes.

Old
01-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
Z has been quick to say he wants to stay, he's said it multiple times. GMDM has mentioned him specifically as a player they need money from the NHL to sign early.

Out of all the players, Z is the guy they'll probably do the most to keep. He signed hella cheap just to get the deal done last time... that won't happen again but I don't see him being any kind of hold out guy either. I think they pay him and no low balling or tactics to penny pinch.

Hopefully Milan won't b whispering anything in his ears about joining him in OTT!

Just my personal opinion... no inside scoop on this one.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:02 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4dfence View Post
Z has been quick to say he wants to stay, he's said it multiple times. GMDM has mentioned him specifically as a player they need money from the NHL to sign early.
The talk is just what happens with any pending UFA. No news means people will make it up.

I tend to agree with you; Michalek will be resigned. It's tough for the media and fans, at least in the short term, when teams keep things behind closed doors. I do believe that it ultimately favors both sides because public negotiations tend to get contentious and often to not end well.

I also tend to think it is a positive sign for both the players and management when not just the policy but reality are that things are kept under wraps. I think it shows a mutual trust and respect. Mutual trust and respect does not mean a player won't end up traded or UFA, but it suggests that both sides trust the other is negotiating in good faith and they don't expect public leverage will impact things positively.

Old
01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
PPD7952

Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
I was personally in a meeting where GMDM said that his two priorities for signings before the end of the season were "Z" and Lombardi. And that both have expressed that they want to stay, and want to be here, and that he felt, even given the off season issues and money, that he would get deals done with both. Neither are going anywhere. They fit too good here.

Old
01-28-2010, 09:19 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD7952 View Post
I was personally in a meeting where GMDM said that his two priorities for signings before the end of the season were "Z" and Lombardi. And that both have expressed that they want to stay, and want to be here, and that he felt, even given the off season issues and money, that he would get deals done with both. Neither are going anywhere. They fit too good here.
Unfortunately his hands are tied until we have an ownership group in place. IceEdge had said their self-imposed salary cap would go up, but that they won't exactly be flirting with the league maximum, either.

Quote:
While the Coyotes have the lowest payroll in the NHL, LeBlanc promised the team will have more money to work with moving forward. Just how much is unclear (payroll won't be increasing by $20 million), but it will grow in the millions of dollars, LeBlanc said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4850212

Closed Thread