HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

How much trouble are we in?

Old
03-16-2008, 02:23 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Seriously? OSU basketball? People pay attention to OSU basketball once every 10-15 years when they are half-way decent. Can't wait to see them miss the tourney this year so that their inevitable fall to irrelevance proceeds as scheduled.
Every 10 to 15 years? You must have missed the memo that they've made the tournament the past 3 years, and will do so again this year. They usually lead the Big Ten in attendance every year, as well.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 02:35 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Every 10 to 15 years? You must have missed the memo that they've made the tournament the past 3 years, and will do so again this year. They usually lead the Big Ten in attendance every year, as well.
You apparently missed the pre-Matta years when no one cared. And doing well in basketball in the post-Bob Knight Big Ten is pretty much like being the world's tallest midget.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 02:37 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
You apparently missed the pre-Matta years when no one cared. And doing well in basketball in the post-Bob Knight Big Ten is pretty much like being the world's tallest midget.
Ah, a Bob Knight apologist - I can't go any further here.

(BTW, the O'Brien years were like the current CBJ - why support the team when they clearly aren't interested in winning?)

Old
03-16-2008, 02:50 PM
CBJSlash

I am not concerned about the team moving. I am concerned about losing fans. I do feel that when we do turn around... fans will come back.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Ah, a Bob Knight apologist - I can't go any further here.

(BTW, the O'Brien years were like the current CBJ - why support the team when they clearly aren't interested in winning?)
I'm not an apologist at all. But tell me how the Big Ten is relevant in college basketball since his departure? He left in 2000--the same year Michigan State won the championship, which is the last time the Big Ten won.

As for O'Brien, I seem to recall he was the first OSU coach to take them to the tourney 4 straight years. And he took the team to the Final Four. So, how exactly was he not interested in winning?

Once Matta, ever the opportunist, decides to leave OSU for greener pastures, basketball will return to being an afterthought in Columbus.

On topic, the Jackets should worry about their own problems and not Ohio State.

Old
03-16-2008, 03:47 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
I'm not an apologist at all. But tell me how the Big Ten is relevant in college basketball since his departure? He left in 2000--the same year Michigan State won the championship, which is the last time the Big Ten won.

As for O'Brien, I seem to recall he was the first OSU coach to take them to the tourney 4 straight years. And he took the team to the Final Four. So, how exactly was he not interested in winning?

Once Matta, ever the opportunist, decides to leave OSU for greener pastures, basketball will return to being an afterthought in Columbus.

On topic, the Jackets should worry about their own problems and not Ohio State.
What are you talking about? Matta has twice had the chance to coach at Indiana and turned them down twice. He will be at OSU for quite some time.

O'Brien refused to recruit "one and done" type of players - and of course, couldn't recruit much of anyone without breaking NCAA rules. His Final Four trip was borne out of dumb luck and a favorable draw. If OSU was interested in going around 17-14 every year, and .500 in the conference, O'Brien was their guy. I can tell you this - under no circumstances would Oden, Conley, or Cook have played at OSU if O'Brien was the coach.

I don't follow on your Knight-speak. Bob Knight was the reason Michigan State won the championship in 2000? And for that matter, Bob Knight is the reason no Big Ten team has won a championship since? Suuuuure.

He sure did a lot for the relevance of Texas Tech and the Big 12 in general in his time there, that's for sure.

Old
03-16-2008, 03:54 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
What are you talking about? Matta has twice had the chance to coach at Indiana and turned them down twice. He will be at OSU for quite some time.
Seriously, IU is a lateral move at this point. Matta skipped out of Xavier shortly after talking about how he was going to be there forever--and ain't it funny to see Xavier doing better than Matta's crew. Don't think the Buckeyes will be treated any differently.

The Big Ten and OSU basketball aren't even on the sports radar nationally.

Old
03-16-2008, 04:02 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
Seriously, IU is a lateral move at this point. Matta skipped out of Xavier shortly after talking about how he was going to be there forever--and ain't it funny to see Xavier doing better than Matta's crew. Don't think the Buckeyes will be treated any differently.

Did you miss OSU beating Xavier last year? Did you miss OSU in the championship
game last year? Did you miss OSU having top 5 recruiting classes for 3 years in a row? How is Xavier doing better than OSU?

Matta is going NOWHERE. He's signed for like the next 10 years at around $2.5 million a season. There is nowhere else for him to go.

You are jumping around from Bob Knight to Matta to Xavier to national-radar sports, to attendance - I've tried to follow you here , but I'M DONE.

Old
03-16-2008, 04:23 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Everyone I know is tired of losing period.

Almost every single fan that I know that may have cut back on games attended or cut out going to games altogether has made the comment I will be back when they win.

I know plenty of folks that have season tickets to OSU Football, Basketball, CBJ, Bengals/Reds or Indians/Browns.. they cut back on each pro team when the team is losing consistently.

Win. Win. Win. Win on the ice and the whole city wins!

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:11 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Did you miss OSU beating Xavier last year? Did you miss OSU in the championship
game last year? Did you miss OSU having top 5 recruiting classes for 3 years in a row? How is Xavier doing better than OSU?

Who's in the tournament--OSU or Xavier? Last year was last year. This year OSU's back to being the third best team in the state. Irrelevant.

Again, my point from the beginning--the Jackets shouldn't concern themselves with college sports. They're the only big-time pro team in town. OSU football will always be what it is. And OSU basketball will always benefit every few years from bandwagon fans. The only thing the Jackets need to concern themselves to fill seats at Nationwide is winning.

Old
03-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Prophecy

Suffice it to say....Howson made a horrible tactical error in not making the signings needed to get this team over the top this year. Say what you will, this franchise is in a free fall and it's not a lock that Howson can pull off what he needs to in order to get the team over the top next year either. A little bad luck is all he needs and this franchise could face some extremely important business decisions going forward.

All the homers that support anything that happens with the franchise actually hurt us IMO. Unless the front office sees that there will be consequences, they will keep fielding the same crap we've seen for the last seven years. A revolt needs to happen (which it now is) and now the franchise needs to get lucky to put a team together that has talent, chemistry and the ability to execute. No more "hard to play against", or "we've got great young talent coming up" or "be patient" anymore.

Now is the time to win. And if they can't do it....yeah, I see them eventually moving. Of course, I've been seeing this threat for the last 3 years. It's sad....

Last edited by Prophecy: 03-16-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Prophecy

Quote:

I must say, I've always respected and enjoyed your posts, but this one is a bit off. Was the big Ten weak this year? Sure. But some of this other stuff you're saying is a ill informed and has a West Coast bias in it...

Oh, and what does it have to do with the topic again?

Old
03-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ John View Post
Suffice it to say....Howson made a horrible tactical error in not making the signings needed to get this team over the top this year.
Haha yeah right.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Prophecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Haha yeah right.
Oh, you mean we ARE going to the playoffs?

Old
03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2150
More talent+more wins= more fans

This year this team has been short on talent. GMSH has gone on record that he wanted a year to assess the situation and lay a good foundation. That has happened, now it is full speed ahead. I have every confidence that the management team will go out and get more talent. The wins will follow, as will the fans. Currently we stand with more points than in previous years. We will set a team record in number of points this year, a great way to build for next year.

I am optimistic about this team and its future, on the ice and staying in the city of Columbus.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Prophecy

There isn't a hockey guy on the planet that didn't know we needed a top line center. Last season was simply another year of sucking the last possible nickle out of several weary season ticket holders who, like me, have now revolted until an actual bona fide, proven team hits the ice.

I don't know how many thousands of dollars my brother and I have spent on this team, but we've had it. I will still read the articles and hope for better things to come, but I'm not optimistic when I look at the 1-5 year view. It doesn't look good for this team. Too many mistakes have been made and it has one of two choices:

1. Spend unwisely to field a team next year and begin to bring parts of the fan base back.
2. Spend wisely and risk franchise Armaghedon.

Part of the excess cash we had should have been spent last year....not this.

Old
03-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I think at this point this is a non-issue. The fans supported the hell out of this franchise for 6 years, and even though we are doing better, a lot of fans had had enough after last year.

There are many teams (Florida, Atlanta, Nashville, even New Jersey) that have a history of poor attendance whether they are winning or not, yet they still have their franchises. And, the Jackets actually drew pretty damn good crowds last Friday and Sunday, despite all the snow.

Sell-out tonight (helped by a couple thousand Wings fans) doesn't hurt either.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Prophecy

Less fans = less money = less signings = less wins = less fans = less money = less signings = ....you get the point.

Old
03-16-2008, 08:19 PM
GoodVybes

Quote:
Less fans = less money = less signings = less wins = less fans = less money = less signings = ....you get the point.
Hey, don't let the door hit ya.
This team is about to post its best record ever. It is March and playoff talk was semi-realistic until this past week. In fact, the team is not mathematically eliminated yet.

But, here we are. Some people just aren't happy. So go.

OR - If you really are a PSL holder and pissed, call or see your sales rep. I spent 15 minutes bending the ear of one of the staff before a recent game. Got the card of one of the higher ups in the org for my trouble. Tell them how pissed you are about the ticket package and playoff ticket screw up. Remember, that the heads of off-ice and on-ice operations are new, give them feedback. Give Howson a chance to actually do something. Look at who he signed and who he let go. (If you think Foote was worth it for his leadership, look at the core that is emerging now)

GoodVybes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Macster

Quote:
Oh, you mean we ARE going to the playoffs?
Come on man. This wasn't supposed to be a playoff year. Everybody who really follows the team knows that this is a transition year between the MacLean era and the Howson era.

Howson isn't going to jump right into his new position and start overhauling the roster. He needed to take this season to evaluate which players on the team represent the core, and to find out the areas which need long term improvement.

Like I said before, I almost wish the team didn't win as often as it did this year, it teased some fans into thinking we were for real this year.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:28 PM
cincyfan

if any of you really think that the owners of this team are wholly driven by money,
youve got to be kidding. if they were totally about the money, then why in the hell did
they decide to come to columbus? really now!. there must be at least 47 other towns
in america and canada that would be more profitable than columbus. they will not lose money here. some of you people are pathetic!
you should be skipping gaily at the thought that you have an nhl team. short memories i suppose. ill still support the team long after the crybabies are gone

cincyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 08:30 PM
cincyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVybes View Post
Hey, don't let the door hit ya.
This team is about to post its best record ever. It is March and playoff talk was semi-realistic until this past week. In fact, the team is not mathematically eliminated yet.

But, here we are. Some people just aren't happy. So go.
haha my sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!

cincyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Nordique

I don't think it would be profitable for current ownership to move the team. Attendance per victory over the last 3 seasons has got to be better than league average. Fans are waivering, but attendance is still decent. Lets see what attendance does when we have a playoff season. If it doesn't rise when this team becomes a top 8 team, then we're in trouble(ala Nashville). Until then, why would McConnel think that moving a losing team to another city would magically make the team more profitable?

Lastly, the McConnels are tied to this city. So it would take alot for them to move the team, as in, severing their financial ties to Columbus and thats not happening. Not when they name Hospital wings after your family.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Nordique

Quote:
There isn't a hockey guy on the planet that didn't know we needed a top line center. Last season was simply another year of sucking the last possible nickle out of several weary season ticket holders who, like me, have now revolted until an actual bona fide, proven team hits the ice.

I don't know how many thousands of dollars my brother and I have spent on this team, but we've had it. I will still read the articles and hope for better things to come, but I'm not optimistic when I look at the 1-5 year view. It doesn't look good for this team. Too many mistakes have been made and it has one of two choices:

1. Spend unwisely to field a team next year and begin to bring parts of the fan base back.
2. Spend wisely and risk franchise Armaghedon.

Part of the excess cash we had should have been spent last year....not this.
There are a number of season ticket holders that won't stick around without a playoff team(most have gone by now), what percentage of the total base that is, we be sure. I think there are enough die hard hockey fans in Columbus, that want to see hockey live 40 nights a year regardless of the playoffs, to keep this thing profitable.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Like I said before, I almost wish the team didn't win as often as it did this year, it teased some fans into thinking we were for real this year.

Yeah I'll admit, the team was hard to follow this year... Most games I didn't care if they won or lost, because there was advantages to both. (I expected to be "For sure" out of it by the trade deadline as usual, and GMSH would have done MORE selling, but hey...)

I always got excited after wins, and it's great to see the progress, I just want a time machine, and for next season to start already

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote