HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much trouble are we in?

Old
03-18-2008, 08:46 PM
CrazyCanucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Personal Seat License
What is that?

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
What's a PSL?
Extra money required just to have the option to buy season tickets. Originally targeted to help pay for the Arena. In the end, a ripoff....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:54 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Extra money required just to have the option to buy season tickets. Originally targeted to help pay for the Arena. In the end, a ripoff....

Wow, how much more???? How many people have this PSL, or is for every season ticket?

Old
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
What's a PSL?
You essentially have to purchase the rights to the seat to buy season tickets. Its only a 1 time fee, but if you dont renew, you would have to buy another personal seat license to get season tickets again.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
BluejacketNut

My psl's were $1000 each for an upper bowl, $30 seat. I have 2 seats

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:34 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
My psl's were $1000 each for an upper bowl, $30 seat. I have 2 seats

:a mazed:

Old
03-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Last I checked you could get PSL's for $100 bucks now a days. The initial rush, during the first couple seasons was crazy, but alot of folks are unloading their PSL's now. My brother basically gave his pair away, and a coworker sold his pair for $250.

With a PSL, you have to buy a season ticket every year. Don't buy one year, and you lose the seat license.

Personally, I like buying tickets from other PSL holders. Helps them justify the cost of their season tickets, and you can usually get face value price. I pay $65 a ticket for excellent lower bowl seats from the same PSL holder every time I go to a game. He's happy, I'm happy, and I'm sure guys like me allow him to justify buying 41 games a season. I could probably try scalpers and save some jack, but PSL holders are the bread and butter behind the franchise. Support them, and you support the team.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Wow, how much more???? How many people have this PSL, or is for every season ticket?
It cost me $5,000 (2 PSL's) to have the right to pay $6000 for two seats in year one (lower bowl). The PSL cost was a one time fee to have the right to buy my seats for as many seasons as I want. Basically, an up front ripoff that we were told was needed to pay for the Arena.

But in fairness, not something new to pro sport in the United States.

Many of us did this because we were so dead set on getting an NHL team in Columbus-knowing this may give a hint as to why some are so upset after seven years being pissed away.

Last edited by Robert: 03-18-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old
03-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
It cost me $5,000 (2 PSL's) to have the right to pay $6000 for two seats in year one (lower bowl). The PSL cost was a one time fee to have the right to buy my seats for as many seasons as I want. Basically, an up front ripoff that we were told was needed to pay for the Arena.

But in fairness, not something new to pro sport in the United States.
Its hefty premium to pay, but it really is reason hockey got off the ground in Columbus. The perks are nice too, but its a hefty premium thats for sure.

Old
03-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Its hefty premium to pay, but it really is reason hockey got off the ground in Columbus. The perks are nice too, but its a hefty premium thats for sure.
Big bucks for sure, but I wanted the NHL in my current town, as many others. In the end we know what we did and we did it willingly. But trust me, not one of us thought it would take 8 seasons to make the playoffs. Had I known that I would have moved to another city, it would have been cheaper...

But in the end we did a good thing for Columbus and NHL hockey in the USA, I'm ok with it....

Old
03-18-2008, 11:08 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Big bucks for sure, but I wanted the NHL in my current town, as many others. In the end we know what we did and we did it willingly. But trust me, not one of us thought it would take 8 seasons to make the playoffs. Had I known that I would have moved to another city, it would have been cheaper...

But in the end we did a good thing for Columbus and NHL hockey in the USA, I'm ok with it....
I'd do it again.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 12:36 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
:a mazed:
Don't look so amazed Crazy... From what I can tell ticket prices to Canuck games are 20-25% higher than here in Cbus. They get you one way or another.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 01:16 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Don't look so amazed Crazy... From what I can tell ticket prices to Canuck games are 20-25% higher than here in Cbus. They get you one way or another.

I am amazed because I have never heard of that before. I am surprised the Nucks haven't thought about it before

Ticket prices to Nuck games are priced that high because there is a 3000 person wait list for season tix, all teh games have been sold out for 200+ games, and people are willing to spend the money to watch teh games. There is a shortage of tickets, and the owners know that people will pay, so that drives up the prices to tickets from scalpers and brokers as well

My tickets cost me $90/pair/game upper bowl and I can sell them for at least $150 for a lesser oppenet, and over $200/game for a premium game. Those prices I know I will not lose money on my tickets.

I even sold my Pitts tickets for 500/pair, going rate for that game to see Sid the Kid.

Old
03-19-2008, 06:00 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Here is PSL pricing:
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app?...re_seat_season

Here's an explanation of the benefits:
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app?...e_STH_Benefits

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

One thing that the Jackets do for PSL holders that really makes my wife a lot happier about having them is they give us an early heads-up on all the events coming to the Nat. We can then get primo tickets for an event before they go on sale to the general public.

That is a nice little bonus.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
My tickets cost me $90/pair/game upper bowl and I can sell them for at least $150 for a lesser oppenet, and over $200/game for a premium game. Those prices I know I will not lose money on my tickets.

I even sold my Pitts tickets for 500/pair, going rate for that game to see Sid the Kid.
I've heard that is why we sell out every Detroit game. With tix starting at $80 upper bowl for the Joe, it is cheaper to drive to Columbus, and spend the same jack for tix 10 rows off the ice. Is this the case? And are these the prices we have to look forward to?

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
One thing that the Jackets do for PSL holders that really makes my wife a lot happier about having them is they give us an early heads-up on all the events coming to the Nat. We can then get primo tickets for an event before they go on sale to the general public.

Police tickets? I was curious if you guys got early dibs on those.

Old
03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

Ticket prices to Nuck games are priced that high because there is a 3000 person wait list for season tix, all teh games have been sold out for 200+ games, and people are willing to spend the money to watch teh games. There is a shortage of tickets, and the owners know that people will pay, so that drives up the prices to tickets from scalpers and brokers as well

Thats what OSU football is like in Columbus. When I was a student, I paid for half a quarter's tuition selling my Michigan/OSU ticket.

The Blue Jackets will never be the prime attraction in town..probably similar to the Blackhawks and Bruins, but those markets are HUGE.

Old
03-19-2008, 01:17 PM
CBJFan in Cincy

Quote:
Police tickets? I was curious if you guys got early dibs on those.
Yes, we did.

CBJFan in Cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 06:30 PM
FlaggerX

I understand the PSLs were needed to fund the arena. All well and good. And I also realize getting rid of them would seem like an inslult to the people who bought them. However, that raises the price of season tickets in a really big way. Right now i think it constitutes a real barrier to season ticket purchases. It makes that first year really, really expensive. And so I think it inevitable that season ticket purchases will decline.

Until we're playing for the Cup that is.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 08:43 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Now thats funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
You evidently did - the shot was by Ron Lewis.

In blowing someone ****, please get your facts straight

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:31 PM
trickbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post

That's why we went ahead and renewed the PSLs for next season. We scored some sweet Genesis and Police/Elvis Costello tickets thanks to our PSLs. Between shows like that and getting NCAA tickets when Nationwide is a 1st/2nd round site it's worth it. At least for another year.

trickbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Pucknacious

Interesting piece from Arace in today's local rag.

I never really got the feeling that the franchise might be in trouble. Like everyone else, I was painfully aware that they were in the process of pissing away a once-strong fan base. But I never thought there was a chance of the team moving.

That was before the steep decline in attendance this season, though. As bad as they played last season (and the season before, and the season before, and the ...), they still averaged 16K. Crowds at the end of the season had tailed off to around 14-15K.

But when they opened up this season without an opening-night sellout, and dropped to 12K after that, ...

The franchise has ran up losses over each of the last four seasons? How long will that last, especially if Mr. McConnell is no longer the majority owner?

I've been a season-ticket holder since the second season. I missed more games last season than I had missed in the previous six, combined. You get to a point where you're jaded about the whole thing. You're grateful to have an NHL team in town, but making that trip downtown just for the same 'ol same 'ol gets old.

And I've missed quite a few this season, especially as these guys often showed all the urgency of a can of creamed corn during their first playoff race.

I'm finally admitted to myself that the only reason I've renewed the last two seasons was because I knew that if I didn't, I'd never get a PSL again. How many of those 4-5 thousand PSL holders they've managed to piss away the past three seasons will never come back?

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
I have them, other than Hitch's town meetings and the occasional PSL holder's practice, what perqs?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Palinka

Look at it this way on PSLs. After the 2:1 defeat of the arena sales tax proposal, it took a ton of private money to not only build an arena, but the entire surrounding area as well. I have no problem with that being recouped....especially when you consider the sales tax now is a full 1% higher than it was then, or exactly 1/2% higher than it would have been with the arena tax.

It could be a lot worse. Look at how many owners have a new arena/stadium built with public money, then they collect millions from PSL sales even when they didn't lay down a single dollar of their own to begin with.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote