HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much trouble are we in?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2008, 08:46 PM
  #101
CrazyCanucks
Registered User
 
CrazyCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: India
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Personal Seat License
What is that?

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
  #102
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
What's a PSL?
Extra money required just to have the option to buy season tickets. Originally targeted to help pay for the Arena. In the end, a ripoff....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:54 PM
  #103
CrazyCanucks
Registered User
 
CrazyCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: India
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Extra money required just to have the option to buy season tickets. Originally targeted to help pay for the Arena. In the end, a ripoff....

Wow, how much more???? How many people have this PSL, or is for every season ticket?

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
  #104
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
What's a PSL?
You essentially have to purchase the rights to the seat to buy season tickets. Its only a 1 time fee, but if you dont renew, you would have to buy another personal seat license to get season tickets again.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
  #105
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,117
vCash: 500
My psl's were $1000 each for an upper bowl, $30 seat. I have 2 seats

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:34 PM
  #106
CrazyCanucks
Registered User
 
CrazyCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: India
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
My psl's were $1000 each for an upper bowl, $30 seat. I have 2 seats

:a mazed:

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:11 PM
  #107
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
Last I checked you could get PSL's for $100 bucks now a days. The initial rush, during the first couple seasons was crazy, but alot of folks are unloading their PSL's now. My brother basically gave his pair away, and a coworker sold his pair for $250.

With a PSL, you have to buy a season ticket every year. Don't buy one year, and you lose the seat license.

Personally, I like buying tickets from other PSL holders. Helps them justify the cost of their season tickets, and you can usually get face value price. I pay $65 a ticket for excellent lower bowl seats from the same PSL holder every time I go to a game. He's happy, I'm happy, and I'm sure guys like me allow him to justify buying 41 games a season. I could probably try scalpers and save some jack, but PSL holders are the bread and butter behind the franchise. Support them, and you support the team.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:12 PM
  #108
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Wow, how much more???? How many people have this PSL, or is for every season ticket?
It cost me $5,000 (2 PSL's) to have the right to pay $6000 for two seats in year one (lower bowl). The PSL cost was a one time fee to have the right to buy my seats for as many seasons as I want. Basically, an up front ripoff that we were told was needed to pay for the Arena.

But in fairness, not something new to pro sport in the United States.

Many of us did this because we were so dead set on getting an NHL team in Columbus-knowing this may give a hint as to why some are so upset after seven years being pissed away.


Last edited by Robert: 03-18-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:17 PM
  #109
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
It cost me $5,000 (2 PSL's) to have the right to pay $6000 for two seats in year one (lower bowl). The PSL cost was a one time fee to have the right to buy my seats for as many seasons as I want. Basically, an up front ripoff that we were told was needed to pay for the Arena.

But in fairness, not something new to pro sport in the United States.
Its hefty premium to pay, but it really is reason hockey got off the ground in Columbus. The perks are nice too, but its a hefty premium thats for sure.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:30 PM
  #110
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Its hefty premium to pay, but it really is reason hockey got off the ground in Columbus. The perks are nice too, but its a hefty premium thats for sure.
Big bucks for sure, but I wanted the NHL in my current town, as many others. In the end we know what we did and we did it willingly. But trust me, not one of us thought it would take 8 seasons to make the playoffs. Had I known that I would have moved to another city, it would have been cheaper...

But in the end we did a good thing for Columbus and NHL hockey in the USA, I'm ok with it....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:08 PM
  #111
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Big bucks for sure, but I wanted the NHL in my current town, as many others. In the end we know what we did and we did it willingly. But trust me, not one of us thought it would take 8 seasons to make the playoffs. Had I known that I would have moved to another city, it would have been cheaper...

But in the end we did a good thing for Columbus and NHL hockey in the USA, I'm ok with it....
I'd do it again.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 12:36 AM
  #112
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
:a mazed:
Don't look so amazed Crazy... From what I can tell ticket prices to Canuck games are 20-25% higher than here in Cbus. They get you one way or another.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 01:16 AM
  #113
CrazyCanucks
Registered User
 
CrazyCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: India
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Don't look so amazed Crazy... From what I can tell ticket prices to Canuck games are 20-25% higher than here in Cbus. They get you one way or another.

I am amazed because I have never heard of that before. I am surprised the Nucks haven't thought about it before

Ticket prices to Nuck games are priced that high because there is a 3000 person wait list for season tix, all teh games have been sold out for 200+ games, and people are willing to spend the money to watch teh games. There is a shortage of tickets, and the owners know that people will pay, so that drives up the prices to tickets from scalpers and brokers as well

My tickets cost me $90/pair/game upper bowl and I can sell them for at least $150 for a lesser oppenet, and over $200/game for a premium game. Those prices I know I will not lose money on my tickets.

I even sold my Pitts tickets for 500/pair, going rate for that game to see Sid the Kid.

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:00 AM
  #114
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
Here is PSL pricing:
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app?...re_seat_season

Here's an explanation of the benefits:
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app?...e_STH_Benefits

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
  #115
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 500
One thing that the Jackets do for PSL holders that really makes my wife a lot happier about having them is they give us an early heads-up on all the events coming to the Nat. We can then get primo tickets for an event before they go on sale to the general public.

That is a nice little bonus.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
  #116
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
My tickets cost me $90/pair/game upper bowl and I can sell them for at least $150 for a lesser oppenet, and over $200/game for a premium game. Those prices I know I will not lose money on my tickets.

I even sold my Pitts tickets for 500/pair, going rate for that game to see Sid the Kid.
I've heard that is why we sell out every Detroit game. With tix starting at $80 upper bowl for the Joe, it is cheaper to drive to Columbus, and spend the same jack for tix 10 rows off the ice. Is this the case? And are these the prices we have to look forward to?

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:55 AM
  #117
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
One thing that the Jackets do for PSL holders that really makes my wife a lot happier about having them is they give us an early heads-up on all the events coming to the Nat. We can then get primo tickets for an event before they go on sale to the general public.

That is a nice little bonus.
Police tickets? I was curious if you guys got early dibs on those.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
  #118
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post

Ticket prices to Nuck games are priced that high because there is a 3000 person wait list for season tix, all teh games have been sold out for 200+ games, and people are willing to spend the money to watch teh games. There is a shortage of tickets, and the owners know that people will pay, so that drives up the prices to tickets from scalpers and brokers as well

My tickets cost me $90/pair/game upper bowl and I can sell them for at least $150 for a lesser oppenet, and over $200/game for a premium game. Those prices I know I will not lose money on my tickets.

I even sold my Pitts tickets for 500/pair, going rate for that game to see Sid the Kid.
Thats what OSU football is like in Columbus. When I was a student, I paid for half a quarter's tuition selling my Michigan/OSU ticket.

The Blue Jackets will never be the prime attraction in town..probably similar to the Blackhawks and Bruins, but those markets are HUGE.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 01:17 PM
  #119
CBJFan in Cincy
Registered User
 
CBJFan in Cincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Police tickets? I was curious if you guys got early dibs on those.
Yes, we did.

CBJFan in Cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 06:30 PM
  #120
FlaggerX
Registered User
 
FlaggerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
I understand the PSLs were needed to fund the arena. All well and good. And I also realize getting rid of them would seem like an inslult to the people who bought them. However, that raises the price of season tickets in a really big way. Right now i think it constitutes a real barrier to season ticket purchases. It makes that first year really, really expensive. And so I think it inevitable that season ticket purchases will decline.

Until we're playing for the Cup that is.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 08:43 PM
  #121
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Now thats funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
You evidently did - the shot was by Ron Lewis.


In blowing someone ****, please get your facts straight

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:31 PM
  #122
trickbabe
Registered User
 
trickbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Marysville, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
One thing that the Jackets do for PSL holders that really makes my wife a lot happier about having them is they give us an early heads-up on all the events coming to the Nat. We can then get primo tickets for an event before they go on sale to the general public.

That is a nice little bonus.
That's why we went ahead and renewed the PSLs for next season. We scored some sweet Genesis and Police/Elvis Costello tickets thanks to our PSLs. Between shows like that and getting NCAA tickets when Nationwide is a 1st/2nd round site it's worth it. At least for another year.

trickbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
  #123
Pucknacious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ... settle your hash
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Interesting piece from Arace in today's local rag.

I never really got the feeling that the franchise might be in trouble. Like everyone else, I was painfully aware that they were in the process of pissing away a once-strong fan base. But I never thought there was a chance of the team moving.

That was before the steep decline in attendance this season, though. As bad as they played last season (and the season before, and the season before, and the ...), they still averaged 16K. Crowds at the end of the season had tailed off to around 14-15K.

But when they opened up this season without an opening-night sellout, and dropped to 12K after that, ...

The franchise has ran up losses over each of the last four seasons? How long will that last, especially if Mr. McConnell is no longer the majority owner?

I've been a season-ticket holder since the second season. I missed more games last season than I had missed in the previous six, combined. You get to a point where you're jaded about the whole thing. You're grateful to have an NHL team in town, but making that trip downtown just for the same 'ol same 'ol gets old.

And I've missed quite a few this season, especially as these guys often showed all the urgency of a can of creamed corn during their first playoff race.

I'm finally admitted to myself that the only reason I've renewed the last two seasons was because I knew that if I didn't, I'd never get a PSL again. How many of those 4-5 thousand PSL holders they've managed to piss away the past three seasons will never come back?

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
  #124
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Its hefty premium to pay, but it really is reason hockey got off the ground in Columbus. The perks are nice too, but its a hefty premium thats for sure.
I have them, other than Hitch's town meetings and the occasional PSL holder's practice, what perqs?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 11:44 PM
  #125
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
Look at it this way on PSLs. After the 2:1 defeat of the arena sales tax proposal, it took a ton of private money to not only build an arena, but the entire surrounding area as well. I have no problem with that being recouped....especially when you consider the sales tax now is a full 1% higher than it was then, or exactly 1/2% higher than it would have been with the arena tax.

It could be a lot worse. Look at how many owners have a new arena/stadium built with public money, then they collect millions from PSL sales even when they didn't lay down a single dollar of their own to begin with.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.