HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not sure why everyone is so excited about getting the 6th seed

Old
03-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Janssen25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I want Montreal, Jersey or Pittsburgh. Either of those 3 I think we can easily beat.
Flat out crazy talk. Not saying they couldn't pull out a series victory but to claim they would beat any of the above easily is flat out ridiculous.

Janssen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:40 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
New Jersey is the MAIN team we HAVE to avoid in the playoffs. I'd rather play the Sens from the beginning of the season than the Devils now. Not only did they get it together, but Brodeur is one of the all time greats come playoff time, it will NOT be an easy task.
Montreal, although I'd like to avoid them, might sit well with the team. We had their number this season, but it's hard to tell if that translates into P/O wins. Pitt's fire power, especially of late, is something we need to avoid with the play of our defense and Henrik just now coming back to his old self.
Senators, Bruins, Caps, Carolina, Sabres are all teams I'd like to see 1st round, but in the position we're in only Car and Wash are realistic possibilities.
Relax man, the Devils have won only one playoff series against us in their whole history.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I said the same thing in the PHI thread about them in the playoffs... when determining who you'd prefer to face, focus that energy on who's between the pipes...

I'd rather face Price, then Fleury/Conks, then Ward, then Marty, in that order.

Funny, I'd go almost the complete opposite after the Marty part who I agree is the best of those 4 choices but someone we could beat as we've done in the playoffs obviously before. I'd rather face in this order:

Ward who has been wildly inconsistant this season. Yeah he's on an uptick right now but if I'm a Cane fan, I'd be worried come playoff time despite his Cup win a few years ago. It just hasn't been his year.

The Fleury/Conkin duo would be next as believe it or not, I'd be more worried bout Conkin who has been insane this year compared to Fleury who though he's been hurt and has been playing well lately, he seemingly chokes alot. Conklin seems to have the hockey gods on his side this year as he's turned around his career...he'd be a dangerous goalie to deal with compared to MAF.

And finally, not sure any of us really want anything to do with Price/Halak if we don't have to. Price in particuarly has been outstanding this year especially since Huet was dealt at the deadline. This isn't a Kari Lehtonen situation here with a shoddy defensive corps. Canadians play solid D and Price is really special. Also keep in mind, something about Montreal rookie goalies come playoff time that don't give me the warm and fuzzies..ie PRoy,KDryden..heck even Steve Penny stole a few playoff series back in the day. So no way would I put Price at the bottom of the list here..he's not your normal everyday rookie as he seems alot older than his 20 years would indicate.....just sayin!

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janssen25 View Post
Flat out crazy talk. Not saying they couldn't pull out a series victory but to claim they would beat any of the above easily is flat out ridiculous.

Totally agree...that aburd Rangers would ever have an easy series. Once in a blue moon it happens but not often to the Rangers as we seemingly have to fight tooth and nail for everything we get. I know the Atlanta series last year for a PO series was seemingly a cakewalk but other than that series, I don't recall any playoff series our boys have been in my lifetime ever being that easy which for NHL standards was on the easy side as Atlanta looked stage struck from the onset.

Check that...I do recall one....the Isle series back in the Cup year...didn't we sweep them? I recall that one being suprisingly easy. But you get the point...99% of the time the Rangers make the playoffs whoever it is we face, are on their A games. Not saying we can't beat anyone even if they are on their A games but it certainly would never be easy!

Old
03-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Relax man, the Devils have won only one playoff series against us in their whole history.
Because clearly, 1994 and 1997 have far more relevance than 2006.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The Fleury/Conkin duo would be next as believe it or not, I'd be more worried bout Conkin who has been insane this year compared to Fleury who though he's been hurt and has been playing well lately, he seemingly chokes alot. Conklin seems to have the hockey gods on his side this year as he's turned around his career...he'd be a dangerous goalie to deal with compared to MAF.
I was just browsing your board and found this kind of ridiculous. Clearly you haven't seen MAF since coming back and Conklin in his past several game. I'm much more comfortable with MAF in between the pipes as a Pens fan. He has been great since coming back from the injury going 5-1 with something like a .95 sv%. Conklin has come back down to earth and has looked pretty shaky in some of his games later. People need to remind themselves that Conklin is a journeyman and backup. I'm glad he was hot when he was surely, but he certainly isn't the goalie MAF is or can be once he matures a little bit more.

I def wouldn't want to face CAR right now, but maybe in a couple weeks they'll cool off. I don't think Price will hold up very well for MON personally, but who knows. The Sens are just collapsing before everyones eyes. The two teams I wouldn't want to see in the first round is you guys and NJ simple b/c for your goalie. But overall I think the Pens could cut through the East....

Best of luck to you guys tonight and in the playoffs

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
I was just browsing your board and found this kind of ridiculous. Clearly you haven't seen MAF since coming back and Conklin in his past several game. I'm much more comfortable with MAF in between the pipes as a Pens fan. He has been great since coming back from the injury going 5-1 with something like a .95 sv%. Conklin has come back down to earth and has looked pretty shaky in some of his games later. People need to remind themselves that Conklin is a journeyman and backup. I'm glad he was hot when he was surely, but he certainly isn't the goalie MAF is or can be once he matures a little bit more.

I def wouldn't want to face CAR right now, but maybe in a couple weeks they'll cool off. I don't think Price will hold up very well for MON personally, but who knows. The Sens are just collapsing before everyones eyes. The two teams I wouldn't want to see in the first round is you guys and NJ simple b/c for your goalie. But overall I think the Pens could cut through the East....

Best of luck to you guys tonight and in the playoffs
To be honest only game I saw MAF play via the satellite was the Florida game when he got pulled and Conklin came in for the rescue. He didn't look all too good there and so that is what I was basing my comments on as well as my having seen him peform earlier this year and last season. You will note that I acknowledged that MAF has been playing better but invariably he has choked for you guys in the past. Heck, I've read such on your Pens board about it.

Conklin, sure he's come down to earth a bit past week or so but how possibly could he have remained on that insane level he was on...eh? I mean we were talking about PRoy,BParent,Cujo back in the day territory. It was only a week or so ago the dude made 50 saves vs Isles in a ridiculously sick performance. Conklin has lived a charmed life this season and goalies like that are scary to face come playoff time. So though you may personally want MAF to start for your reasons, I'd also rather face MAF come playoff time if our teams ended up meeting, as well for other reasons as well....so we are on the same page afterall so I really don't see why my comments were so ridiculous.......

Old
03-19-2008, 09:43 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
To be honest only game I saw MAF play via the satellite was the Florida game when he got pulled and Conklin came in for the rescue. He didn't look all too good there and so that is what I was basing my comments on as well as my having seen him peform earlier this year and last season. You will note that I acknowledged that MAF has been playing better but invariably he has choked for you guys in the past. Heck, I've read such on your Pens board about it.

Conklin, sure he's come down to earth a bit past week or so but how possibly could he have remained on that insane level he was on...eh? I mean we were talking about PRoy,BParent,Cujo back in the day territory. It was only a week or so ago the dude made 50 saves vs Isles in a ridiculously sick performance. Conklin has lived a charmed life this season and goalies like that are scary to face come playoff time. So though you may personally want MAF to start for your reasons, I'd also rather face MAF come playoff time if our teams ended up meeting, as well for other reasons as well....so we are on the same page afterall so I really don't see why my comments were so ridiculous.......
Haha, like I said I'm taking Fleury... Well played last night and good luck in the playoffs.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
None of the three have any relevance at all. Different teams, different years. The only thing that they give is bragging rights to the fans.

The Rangers & Devils would be a good match up. The Rangers aren't in a death plunge this year like they were two years ago, so I think it would be much different this time around.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I fail to see the relevance of 2006.

03-19-2008, 11:51 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Funny, I'd go almost the complete opposite after the Marty part who I agree is the best of those 4 choices but someone we could beat as we've done in the playoffs obviously before. I'd rather face in this order:

Ward who has been wildly inconsistant this season. Yeah he's on an uptick right now but if I'm a Cane fan, I'd be worried come playoff time despite his Cup win a few years ago. It just hasn't been his year.

And finally, not sure any of us really want anything to do with Price/Halak if we don't have to. Price in particuarly has been outstanding this year especially since Huet was dealt at the deadline. This isn't a Kari Lehtonen situation here with a shoddy defensive corps. Canadians play solid D and Price is really special. Also keep in mind, something about Montreal rookie goalies come playoff time that don't give me the warm and fuzzies..ie PRoy,KDryden..heck even Steve Penny stole a few playoff series back in the day. So no way would I put Price at the bottom of the list here..he's not your normal everyday rookie as he seems alot older than his 20 years would indicate.....just sayin!
I think Ward had a bit of a sluggish start to the season, but he really has his "**** together"lately, so to speak. He gets a lot of the criticism in CAR, but truthfully, they're just not a good defensive team - he does his part.

Fleury/Conklin... it is what it is. You need to pick one and ride him, and then you need to hope that you picked the right one. Same with MTL. And while Price has looked really impressive for the most part, the playoffs are a different animal - an animal that Cam Ward has handled with marveling composure already.

As far as team by team matchups, I think you'd match up best against the Penguins, but that's just me. Goalie matchups and team matchups are different animals.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:01 AM
bit82

Send a message via AIM to bit82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
We've rolled over Jersey all year. I am not scared of that team. At all.

Pittsburgh just got the worst playoff performer in the league (Hossa). Again -- not too scared of them. Especially with their goalie situation. It's a real laugher.
How does Crosby, Malkin, and Hossa not scare you?? I'm a pretty fair and realistic Pens fan, but to say that the Pens goalie situation is a laugher makes me think you haven't watched either Fluery or Conklin play this season. Conklin has been stellar and Fleury is playing well since he's came back. This goalie controversy is a good thing for the Pens, not a bad thing. Is it possible that the Pens could fold and Hossa could bust again...sure. I just don't know how the Pens offense and PP do not scare you.

bit82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bit82 View Post
How does Crosby, Malkin, and Hossa not scare you?? I'm a pretty fair and realistic Pens fan, but to say that the Pens goalie situation is a laugher makes me think you haven't watched either Fluery or Conklin play this season. Conklin has been stellar and Fleury is playing well since he's came back. This goalie controversy is a good thing for the Pens, not a bad thing. Is it possible that the Pens could fold and Hossa could bust again...sure. I just don't know how the Pens offense and PP do not scare you.
I think he's basing his opinion on the regular season and doesn't expect the Penguins to turn it up a notch in the playoffs. I may be wrong, it's just what I read from his post.

I think after the collapse in Montreal, Carolina's showing they can beat the Rangers with speed, and past experience with the Devils, he'd just rather face the Penguins.

I really don't think there are any horrid teams out there at the top of the East, everyone can come out a winner. I doubt Carolina fold in 4 like Atlanta did, they have a rather good chance of winning.

What I want is for Lundqvist to be in form, if that happens, I don't worry as much regardless of the opponent.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 01:52 PM
ThisYearsModel

Does not matter who we play, it only matters that we are in the playoffs. The Rangers CAN beat any of the eastern teams, if they are playing well and Henrik is on his game.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote