HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Noob help please...just starting to play RH

Old
03-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

vCash: 500
Noob help please...just starting to play RH

Alright, so im 20 and just starting to play roller hockey, i had played ice hockey up until i was 12 or so but the travel was too much for my family. I have been wearing my dad's old bauer h3's which are heavy as hell, using his old sherwood gloves, and an easton synergy POS stick...

I'm 5'7 160 lbs and will probably play only recreational in a league perhaps so lets not get out of control on prices here. I live within 20 mins of hockey giant so i will probably be going there to get most of my gear.

I guess i need skate suggestions, stick suggestions (what is all this flex stuff ?), and i think i can figure out the gloves on my own. Also, im going to have to get pads eventually but playing at the local rink i don't need them yet, ut ill still take suggestions.

THANKS, i know its long and i appreciate it.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:59 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Go to a shop and try it all out! Best way to do it.

Stick flex is how much you can bend the stick when you shoot...it depends on the manufacturer how it's numbered or listed. Best way to figure out a stick is to find a decent shaft and some wood blades so that way you can experiment with curves or if you find a curve you can swap a shaft for something more flexy or stiff. A general guideline to use when getting that first shaft or stick, take your weight and divide it by half. So you would be looking at like a 80 flex or so, and it might be called whip flex if TPS, and as I was saying, it'll differ. A little flexier stick wouldn't hurt if it's roller too since the puck or ball is slightly lighter. So that's why going to a shop would help too.

And don't worry about weight or flashy gear as long as you got something to use or play in. I mean if you notice at drop-in hockey, at least for ice, old timers with their like first generation CCM Tacks are out there owning everyone else!

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

ok thanks, i don't really know how much to trust the help at hockeygiant, as at least he guy i talked too didn't seem very knowledgeable, but then again i am no either. I was thinking bout buying 2 or 3 wood sticks with differnt shafts, but is there a difference in every wood sticks shaft flex?

Old
03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
ok thanks, i don't really know how much to trust the help at hockeygiant, as at least he guy i talked too didn't seem very knowledgeable, but then again i am no either. I was thinking bout buying 2 or 3 wood sticks with differnt shafts, but is there a difference in every wood sticks shaft flex?
I think the best thing to do is try stuff out if you can. If you're just shooting around with buddies, ask if you can borrow one of their sticks and see if you like it or not.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 10:00 PM
sc37

Quote:
Yeah it's hard to really do anything on the phone, etc. I've tried HockeyGiant service before and all they kept telling me was the stuff that is labeled on the pads. They kept saying that 13" gloves would work for people 4'8" to 5'4". I'm 6' and the gloves fit me perfectly...I did buy them at my LHS to be sure

Buying wood sticks wouldn't hurt either, but if you're playing roller, they might wear down a bit quick if you don't get the ABS ones. And there is a difference in the flex in wood ones too even...just ask someone or read the shaft itself. Usually it's listed there.

Old
03-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Yeah it's hard to really do anything on the phone, etc. I've tried HockeyGiant service before and all they kept telling me was the stuff that is labeled on the pads. They kept saying that 13" gloves would work for people 4'8" to 5'4". I'm 6' and the gloves fit me perfectly...I did buy them at my LHS to be sure

Buying wood sticks wouldn't hurt either, but if you're playing roller, they might wear down a bit quick if you don't get the ABS ones. And there is a difference in the flex in wood ones too even...just ask someone or read the shaft itself. Usually it's listed there.
ya i figured it would be listed, but just by browsing online i don't see any sort of labels.

Old
03-18-2008, 12:20 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Indoor or Outdoor, that information is vital to giving information about wheels and sticks.

I guess I should say Asphalt or tile/wood. I've seen outdoor tile rinks.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:46 AM
sc37

Quote:
ya i figured it would be listed, but just by browsing online i don't see any sort of labels.
Yeah it depends...sometimes it's just labeled senior or intermeditate. But look here: http://www.icewarehouse.com/Sticks.html They got a few numbers listed instead of just sr or int.

Old
03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Indoor or Outdoor, that information is vital to giving information about wheels and sticks.

I guess I should say Asphalt or tile/wood. I've seen outdoor tile rinks.
ya, its indoor and outdoor depending on where i play obviouslly cuz the league is indoor but recreationally its outdoor. But the surface is tile i think, its definitely not wood and not asphalt...

Old
03-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
ya, its indoor and outdoor depending on where i play obviouslly cuz the league is indoor but recreationally its outdoor. But the surface is tile i think, its definitely not wood and not asphalt...
Really the best thing for you to do is go to different stores (if possible) and try things out. Talk to your friends too, see what sticks/skates they like and dont like, but ultimatly in the end its up to you.

Old
03-19-2008, 02:38 AM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Well if you're never going to be playing on Asphalt (or another abrasive surface) spend some money on a 1 piece composite stick. This stick is not wooden and does not have a separate blade. For your height and weight I'd suggesting staying at 87 Flex and going no higher. Don't worry, most sticks you find will be around 87. Don't forget that you can cut the stick down. Some like it shorter or longer but without skates on the stick should come up to about your nose.

Skates, I wouldn't worry about how heavy those skates are, you're talking a difference of ounces, what is more important is the wheels. Specifically the durometer or the hardness of the wheel. The hardness of roller hockey wheels are on a scale from

73 A (Very soft) - 95 A (Very hard)

If you have too soft a wheel on an asphalt rink, or in the street it will wear the wheel down remarkably fast. This wearing action will actually slow you down. However on the other hand if you're on a smooth indoor or outdoor surface and you have too hard of a wheel you will not get any grip, and you will actually slide (It's happened to me, horrible)

Gloves, you're going to have to try them on. You should have a little room in the tips of your fingers, but not too much. You also should be able to easily fling them off, but should stay on if you lower your arms. This will ensure that the palm of the glove is not too tight or loose.

Also more about flex. I always thought flex was a misnomer. To a new player it would seem as if the higher the flex number the more flexible it was. That is wrong however as a flex of 67 will bend like rubber and a flex of over 100 will not bend (Unless you are very strong) Think of the number as Stiffness, and 87 as a medium.

Pads...well whatever you think you'll need. Really depends if it is puck or ball. You're going to need shin/knee pads, and elbow pads are essential as well. Hip girdles, chest pads, and shoulder pads are up to you. Cup is as well, I hate wearing them...but alo hate getting hit.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
sc37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Well if you're never going to be playing on Asphalt (or another abrasive surface) spend some money on a 1 piece composite stick. This stick is not wooden and does not have a separate blade. For your height and weight I'd suggesting staying at 87 Flex and going no higher. Don't worry, most sticks you find will be around 87. Don't forget that you can cut the stick down. Some like it shorter or longer but without skates on the stick should come up to about your nose.
I wouldn't recommend it as there isn't much difference between the two especially if they are tapered shaft and blades...one piece sticks are just fused tapered shafts and blades. Plus not worth the hassle if you are still trying to find the right combo of flex and curve.

But do remember like the poster said...if the stick is going to be cut down, you might want to find a whippier stick just so you can get the flex you want after cutting it. Usually it's about 4 flex per inch you slice off.

Old
03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

ok cool, thanks for all of your guys' help. i appreciate it!

Old
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

sorry one more question, if i buy a composite shaft and some blades, where would i go to have those blades changed? Would my local rink do it or should i go back to hockeygiant(odds are ill be buying from there)? Do they charge much?

Old
03-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
sorry one more question, if i buy a composite shaft and some blades, where would i go to have those blades changed? Would my local rink do it or should i go back to hockeygiant(odds are ill be buying from there)? Do they charge much?
if you have the blades all you really need is a heat gun, most places i know wont charge for that

Old
03-19-2008, 11:36 PM
sc37

You can do it with a hairdryer....just takes a longggg time. I personally use my stovetop and heat everything over the elements. Just don't do it if you use gas burners, or if you do you better hold it wayyyy above the flame or you'll toast it.

Old
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
You can do it with a hairdryer....just takes a longggg time. I personally use my stovetop and heat everything over the elements. Just don't do it if you use gas burners, or if you do you better hold it wayyyy above the flame or you'll toast it.
I use a gas burner to change my blades, and I've never had a problem. I'm not recommending it if you have access to something else, but I don't.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote