HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slap shot and Wrist Shot

Old
03-16-2008, 09:05 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Slap shot and Wrist Shot

I know these questions have been posted many many many times before but I need to work on both these shots desperately. I see my friends who have played hockey their entire lives doing slapshots that get a ft of the ground and go close to 40 or 50 mph. Now its not that fast compared to what guys shoot in the NHL but I need to learn this stuff and quick considering I am playing in my first roller hockey league this spring. How do you go about getting a fast wrister and slap shot and placement too. What is the correct way to achieve these shots.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Leo W

Just watch some NHL games a pick up on what the slap shot and wrist shot experts do. Go watch Chara fire a couple in a Bruins game. Then change the channel and watch Kovalchuk wrist a few. Then go out in your driveway and shoot.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:10 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I cant just watch. There has to be some technique and I dont pick that up from watching. I pick it up from people telling me how its done and then going to do it and trying it out.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:21 PM
deanosaur

shoot slap shots for an hour, tweaking minor things to your technique.
shoot wrist shots for an hour and do the same.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 09:22 PM
K-PAX*

You really just need someone out on the ice or roller surface or whatever who can drill it show you.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Nosebleed Section

Yeah its really a hard thing to explain because its different for everyone. Just shoot lots you'll get it and your teammates cna give you more specific pointers from there.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Heat McManus

I would focus more on wrist and SNAP shots as opposed to slap shots. Slap shots look great, but you don't use them nearly as much in a game. While you still should work on them, using them in a game can be rough if you don't have a ton of time to unleash it. A badly timed slap shot is just asking for a poke check and an 2-on-1 going the other way.

this thread could help.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=489032

there was a long thread on slap shots, but for some reason it got deleted.

with any shot, the most important thing is getting your weight into it. Your weight should shift from your back leg to your forward leg. (If you're shotting righty, from your right leg to your left). This gets your body into it and your not just flipping the puck with your arms.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I would focus more on wrist and SNAP shots as opposed to slap shots. Slap shots look great, but you don't use them nearly as much in a game.
It drives me batty when I'm going out on the ice to coach a practice, and the kids are warming up and shooting around, and they're all just standing there pounding slap shots at the net. I mean, sure, it's fun, but come on, work on something that will actually really help you.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTavares09 View Post
I know these questions have been posted many many many times before but I need to work on both these shots desperately. I see my friends who have played hockey their entire lives doing slapshots that get a ft of the ground and go close to 40 or 50 mph. Now its not that fast compared to what guys shoot in the NHL but I need to learn this stuff and quick considering I am playing in my first roller hockey league this spring. How do you go about getting a fast wrister and slap shot and placement too. What is the correct way to achieve these shots.
Don't waste time learning how to do a wrist shot.

Go to your local ice rink/dek and ask a good player to show you how to take a snap shot.

Almost every pro uses a snap shot over the wrist shot because it is harder and you can get it off alot faster and from bad angles...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Don't waste time learning how to do a wrist shot.

Go to your local ice rink/dek and ask a good player to show you how to take a snap shot.

Almost every pro uses a snap shot over the wrist shot because it is harder and you can get it off alot faster and from bad angles...
...and harder for the goalie to read.

Having said that, it is still a meat and potatoes shot for shooting and passing and is generally the most accurate.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:23 PM
buckyhockey8

a solid wrist shot has several things to take into consideration.

The Sweep
the wrist snap at the release
the follow through
and proper weight transfer

To start an appropriate wrist shot you should have your weight on your back leg. The stick behind you with your bottom arm fully extended puck toward the toe to lift or in the center for a low shot. sweep the puck toward your target like a pass. At the point of release push down hard and snap your wrists in a quick hard motion toward your target. At this point you should have moved your body's weight from your back leg to your front. Follow through with your stick blade so as to point your stick at your target.

buckyhockey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Try this site:

http://www.hockeyshot.com/

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:47 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Unless you play D, you probably won't be using your slapshot all that much. Snapshot is the most important shot in hockey, work on that as much as you can. I always love getting off a quick snapshot when the goalie isn't ready and by the time he reacts it's past them. Lots of rec goalies are waiting for your windup (well, not windup, but bringing the puck back to set it up) for the wrist shot, so if you can learn how to get off a quick snapshot almost in stride with stickhandling, then you're ahead of the game.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyhockey8 View Post
a solid wrist shot has several things to take into consideration.

The Sweep
the wrist snap at the release
the follow through
and proper weight transfer
This is exactly why you don't want to waste time with a wrist shot... the wind up takes too long and it not only takes too long to get off - the goalie has time to get set before you release it.

I use my snap shot for shoting, passing, clearing the zone - etc... the only time I use a wrist shot is if I'm in tight and have to lift the puck up over the goalie.. other than that it is a useless shot in competitive hockey.

Watch Joe Sakic or Crosby... they both have a great snapshot and release it without breaking their stride.

If you learn how to use it properly it will improve your game 100% - I promise.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 03-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old
03-18-2008, 10:56 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
If you want to keep the slapper low point your blade on the follow through at a lower point. It may not make sense right now but practice taking slappers while keeping an eye out on your follow through.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
With both of them, it's constant repetition and small tweaking of your technique that is going to help you the most. Practice a quick release on your wrist shots, as it is lethal. With slap shots, just keep practicing until you feel you have the basis down, and then tweak your technique a bit from there to improve your shot. The main things with a slap shot are weight transfer, using your entire body, not just your arms, and a good follow through.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:06 PM
buckyhockey8

Quote:
This is exactly why you don't want to waste time with a wrist shot... the wind up takes too long and it not only takes too long to get off - the goalie has time to get set before you release it.

I use my snap shot for shoting, passing, clearing the zone - etc... the only time I use a wrist shot is if I'm in tight and have to lift the puck up over the goalie.. other than that it is a useless shot in competitive hockey.

Watch Joe Sakic or Crosby... they both have a great snapshot and release it without breaking their stride.

If you learn how to use it properly it will improve your game 100% - I promise.
A good wrist shot is a fluid motion and doesn't take that much time.
Assuming you are carrying the puck. When you approach the shooting area carry the puck in a cocked position ready to shoot or pass. It takes limits the option to deke, but the goalie has to stay honest and doesn't get the chance to anticipate the shot.

buckyhockey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Gino 14

Go out and shoot, and shoot, and shoot. The only way you'll learn to shoot any of those shots is by doing it, over and over. You can listen to all the advice, watch all the videos, but you still have to learn it for yourself.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Grave77digger

The quickfix is CHANGE YOUR BLADE PATTERN! Find yourself a Very Open Heel curve. A Drury, Lidstrom, or Perry, plus many more are what you need. Sakic is a good open blade also

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyhockey8 View Post
A good wrist shot is a fluid motion and doesn't take that much time.
Assuming you are carrying the puck. When you approach the shooting area carry the puck in a cocked position ready to shoot or pass. It takes limits the option to deke, but the goalie has to stay honest and doesn't get the chance to anticipate the shot.
You don't always have time to keep it cocked like that... I know what you are trying to say... but there is no reason to use a wrist shot if you know how to use the snap shot properly.

That extra second a wrist shot takes over a snap shot can be the difference between scoring and hitting the goalie.

I don't think I've ever seen Crosby or Sakic take a wrist shot... it is a waste of time in my opinion.

The only thing a wrist shot has over a snap shot is accuracy - but once a snap shot is perfected it can be deadly accurate.

Old
03-19-2008, 03:46 AM
lotus

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen Crosby or Sakic take a wrist shot... it is a waste of time in my opinion.

The only thing a wrist shot has over a snap shot is accuracy - but once a snap shot is perfected it can be deadly accurate.
agreed.

I only use a wristshot on a few occasions, pretty much just when I am not close enough for my snapshot. I can't hit crap with my snapper from too far out, and you don't always have the time and space for a slapshot.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:34 AM
SSM12

I score alot more with my wrist shot then I do my snap shot, but im really accurate with my wrist shot. Snapshot accuracy for me is ok, but not as good as my wristshot, I also can release it in stride so it helps. Thats not to downplay a good snapshot. Snapshots are quicker to get off and can catch a goalie not set, though a good wristshot can as well. Most guys use snapshots alot more though, id say practice both. Slapshots take a little more time to develop I think. Just go to open shoots and shoot as many pucks as you can. rotate maybe. 20 wrist 20 snap 10 slap. Also, once you get a feel for it, start skating and releasing them, alot harder and emulates game situations more.

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
RLD12

I have a pretty solid slap shot on asphalt and dek so ill try and help..
The important thing is Technique before Strength, I've seen guys 70 pounds lighter than me have a better slap shot. The key is to first get positioning on the ball, remember your the sides of your feet should be parallel to where your shooting, also your knees should be bent then you should wind back to where the stick is at the same height and level as your shoulders then make sure your arm are straight when following through and the biggest part of all is ROTATING YOUR HIPS INTO THE SHOT, and to remember to follow through with your arms straight and try to also follow the stick through to where your blade is at the height and position you want the ball to go, HOPE THIS HELPS!!

RLD12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:19 PM
santiclaws

Technique is everything. Get a video camera and tape yourself shooting. Look at the tape of pro players and try to get your weight transfer to look the same. Monkey see, monkey do.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:12 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
My technique for shooting wrist shots changed in 2001 when I watched alot of Naslund. That sweeping technique works great if you use a long stick. Now I try to pattern my shot after Kovalchuk.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote