HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus might be interested in Gomez

Old
03-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Given the development of Dubinsky into a solid #2 center, I wouldn't mind moving either Drury or Gomez, but not just to free up space. We should move him if we can get some good return for him.

If it's cap space only, we can lose plenty of players like Jagr, Shanny, Straka, Malik and Mara are all UFAs this year.

On the other hand, if we can get a first rounder and a decent third line center (Malhotra? Novotny?) for Gomez, I'd do it. We free up enough space for someone like Boyle or Campbell (or was he signed by SJ?), which we need more than so many centers, and we also get a first rounder towards our rebuilding project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...F.html?sid=101

I find this interesting because all of those players besides Gomez have full no trade clauses. Gomez's NTC only allows him to nix trades to 3 teams of his choosing. So if we fall short in the playoffs, it may be feasible to move Gomez in the summer and use that cap space to get that #1 dman we need, and maybe get a solid draft pick from CBJ as well..

Who knows, maybe this is the kind of trade Sather & Howson were discussing in December when all of those rumors were persisting.. Thoughts? I say with Dubinsky stepping up into the top 2 center roles, this may pretty likely.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 02:49 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Ok, how's this:

Slat is offered CBJ first round pick and another player, like a third liner or a prospect.

At the same time, he contacts Campbell who is willing to sign for $6.5M with the Rangers. Too much money if we have both Drury and Gomez. But if we move Gomez for Malhotra/Novotny and #1, we can sign Campbell.

At this point, I think Slats would have a real tough decision to make, but it would seem like a defenseman would be more valuable to the team considering how well Dubi is doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU GET RID OF GOMER????? it is not his fault everybody stinks, he is the best one out there i would rather have him than half of these players

Old
03-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Ok, how's this:

Slat is offered CBJ first round pick and another player, like a third liner or a prospect.

At the same time, he contacts Campbell who is willing to sign for $6.5M with the Rangers. Too much money if we have both Drury and Gomez. But if we move Gomez for Malhotra/Novotny and #1, we can sign Campbell.

At this point, I think Slats would have a real tough decision to make, but it would seem like a defenseman would be more valuable to the team considering how well Dubi is doing.
Finally someone sees it my way.

Just remember, Sather gave Drury the NMC, not Gomez.. that could be telling.

It comes down to where that 7 million dollars in cap space would be best spent. The entire hockey world was shocked when we signed BOTH Drury & Gomez, and honestly something still seems fishy there, like maybe Sather didn't expect them both to sign, but said "what the hell" and yea that's a pretty wreckless decision to make with such huge contracts, but the bottom line is one of them is movable and there would be interest, as well as handsome returns from teams like CBJ.

Especially if Anaheim wins another cup this year, it should be clear as day that our blueline needs improvement, and that high octane offenses aren't going to get it done in the playoffs anymore. (hello, Buffalo?)

Last edited by Carlos Ranger: 03-18-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:32 AM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
What?
Try to search for same trady proposals from the guy called JOrst or something like that, you will find interesting the fact that they all include rights to certain guy

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:20 AM
pld459666

I tend to think that this would never happen, but for the sake of ***** and giggles

Voracek, Brassard and the CBJ 1st in 08

for

Gomez

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:30 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Ok, how's this:

Not nearly enough for Gomez.

a third liner? Seriously?

Voracek would HAVE to be coming back with a 1st round pick. In fact I'd want both Voracek and Brassard and the 1st for Gomez. All three are absolute unknowns where as you know you are getting a 70+ point center.

Scotty Gomez has already proven he can play in NY, and if not for Jagr's absolute **** season I'm sure Gomez would have better numbers than he has right now.

Really undervaluing Gomez I see.

And really over valuing Campbell as well

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rob View Post
Based on that Sather didn't sign a contract extension offered to him earlier this season. Or is that false?
That report came from Globe and Mail which the Rangers denied.

Sather doesn't need a contract with Dolan.The Garden doesn't disclose any contract terms regarding their execs.People don't know how much money Isiah Thomas is making per year.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 03-18-2008 at 06:15 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 06:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers are giving Campbell $6.5 million per?Says who?

Old
03-18-2008, 06:12 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

That's because Drury was going to LA unless he was given the NMC.Notice how Drury's contract is two seasons shorter and about $250,000 less per season than the Gomez contract.In return for the NMC,Drury took less money and less years.Dean Lombardi keeps talking about $7.3 million for Drury when discussing players which got away and Drury wanted to play closer to home.

Old
03-18-2008, 09:24 AM
McDonagh27

Some of you are just plain wrong in thinking that we would be better off trading Gomez for some spare parts. First of all, Drury is NOT a #1 center, and by saying Dubinsky would be the new #2 well we all know that would leave him as just that. This team would be WEAKER if we lost Gomez and added Campbell/Malhotra. Unless you can bring a bonafide #1 Center in here on the cheap.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Turambar

True #1 centers aren't easy to come by, I suggest we hold onto ours.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
How exactly did this thread go from "Columbus will look and see if Gomez is available" to "Lets trade Gomez for cap space"?

03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
LamoTheKid

This is pretty funny. I mean, sure, they're interested, who wouldn't be.

but regardless of us needing to fix the defense, trading gomez is not the answer. Also, we're probably gaining as lot of cap space next year with a few big contracts coming off the books.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Finally someone sees it my way.

It comes down to where that 7 million dollars in cap space would be best spent. The entire hockey world was shocked when we signed BOTH Drury & Gomez, and honestly something still seems fishy there, like maybe Sather didn't expect them both to sign, but said "what the hell" and yea that's a pretty wreckless decision to make with such huge contracts, but the bottom line is one of them is movable and there would be interest, as well as handsome returns from teams like CBJ.

Especially if Anaheim wins another cup this year, it should be clear as day that our blueline needs improvement, and that high octane offenses aren't going to get it done in the playoffs anymore. (hello, Buffalo?)
look, you realize that trading gomez would make other FA's run away from NY, gomez signs a 7 year deal....performs very well and then gets traded after the first year.....why would another "star" come to play in NY knowing the organization would trade them after 1 year

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
look, you realize that trading gomez would make other FA's run away from NY, gomez signs a 7 year deal....performs very well and then gets traded after the first year.....why would another "star" come to play in NY knowing the organization would trade them after 1 year
There have been worse betrayals.. Marian Hossa in Ottawa? negotiated a new deal when the gm ALREADY had the Heatley trade in the works! Has this cursed the Sens from getting good players? No.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
There have been worse betrayals.. Marian Hossa in Ottawa? negotiated a new deal when the gm ALREADY had the Heatley trade in the works! Has this cursed the Sens from getting good players? No.
what free agents have they signed?.......

all i know is i wouldnt go to a place like that.....would you?

Old
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
mrmet9235

i know the rangers are looking to dump salary but they will not trade gomez. they signed him with the intent of building their team around him in the future...jagr is almost done and gomez will be our forward in the future. If one of the two gets traded i can see drury but even that is a stretch. I really dont want the rangers to jump on dubinsky...he has definitly impressed me so far this season but i want to see if he can play this way for multiple seasons and not be a flop much similar to prucha was. Also, despite his stats Jagr really does complement Dubinsky, so id like to see brandon play without jagr and put up similar numbers.

mrmet9235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:28 PM
nrf83

Quote:

That was part of deal; Ottawa could not agree on contract with Hossa, so Atlanta negotiated deal, Ottawa signed Hossa to Atlanta's contract and than traded Hossa for Heatly.
BTW we can not hope to replace Gomez' speed through traps and other ill mannered defense's. He breaks the trap and gains zone with ease. We need speed on wings to play w/Scott

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Chimp

Relax guys. It says "interested". Heck, we're probably interested in Ovechkin, but that doesn't mean we have a snowball's chance in hell getting him.

As far as Rangers sending Gomez to Columbus... they have nothing we want that they would be willing to part with, it's that simple. If anyone's going, it's Drury. He pays off less of his $7 million than Gomez does.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 04:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Relax guys. It says "interested". Heck, we're probably interested in Ovechkin, but that doesn't mean we have a snowball's chance in hell getting him.

As far as Rangers sending Gomez to Columbus... they have nothing we want that they would be willing to part with, it's that simple. If anyone's going, it's Drury. He pays off less of his $7 million than Gomez does.
neither will be, nor should be moved....it is their first year in NY people!! you are crazy if you think sather will trade ther two players he wanted to build the team around after the elders leave(jagr, shanny, straka)......they are the future.....end of discussion

Old
03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The CBJ pick will be in the top 10. We should pull out a good player if our staff is as improved as some of you argued to me.

Maybe #1, #2 and a third liner. I doubt they would give up a #1 and two top prospects for Gomez at his current salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not nearly enough for Gomez.

a third liner? Seriously?

Voracek would HAVE to be coming back with a 1st round pick. In fact I'd want both Voracek and Brassard and the 1st for Gomez. All three are absolute unknowns where as you know you are getting a 70+ point center.

Scotty Gomez has already proven he can play in NY, and if not for Jagr's absolute **** season I'm sure Gomez would have better numbers than he has right now.

Really undervaluing Gomez I see.

And really over valuing Campbell as well

Old
03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Gomez is staying...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
gravytrain6t

Got it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
That was part of deal; Ottawa could not agree on contract with Hossa, so Atlanta negotiated deal, Ottawa signed Hossa to Atlanta's contract and than traded Hossa for Heatly.
BTW we can not hope to replace Gomez' speed through traps and other ill mannered defense's. He breaks the trap and gains zone with ease. We need speed on wings to play w/Scott
We've got that in Sjostrom and Prucha or Dawes. If we some how found a third line center, Dubinsky would even play great with Gomez.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
or maybe jagr got most of his points because of gomez
tomato...tomatoe my man. i see it the other way, gomez was getting points every night religously playing with jagr.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 04:50 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
tomato...tomatoe my man. i see it the other way, gomez was getting points every night religously playing with jagr.
as long as both contribute and the rangers win everyone's happy

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote