HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Types of blades

Old
03-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Phoenix

vCash: 500
Types of blades

Does anyone have any links or have any info/tips about the benefits/cons about the types of blades out there? Eg. round toes vs square toes, length, deep curves vs slight, face angles.

Am getting a new stick soon Was looking at a more open angle to help with higher shots.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Happy Fan
one big happy family

want a super riser, go for the Lidstrom, want something half of that, go for the Lindros. if you want an ice gripper, try a Modano.

Depends on what brand you're looking for?

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
K-PAX*

I use a Forsberg because it's great for dishes and backhands. If you want a crazy shot try picking up a pro who has a crazy shot's blade. Like a Gaborik or something. I had a Lidstrom for 1/2 a season once and I missed the net high almost every shot. They all had some pop though.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
I use a Thornton

Square Toe allows me to grab the puck from along the boards easier, and makes face offs a little more advantageous for me.

Curve allows easy puck lift on saucer passes

Long lie is just something I've always needed and enjoyed

Get it.

Karl with a C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 05:54 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
It's all personal preference...if you can shoot, then any blade will allow you to do whatever. Just use what works best for you....I mean I've seen noobs with a Drury or Lidstrom wedge and still can't life the puck off the ice. But the lie is the most important, find a good lie and go from there when you experiment, cause if your blade isn't touching the ice, the curve won't matter much.

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 03:41 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
I use a Thornton

Square Toe allows me to grab the puck from along the boards easier, and makes face offs a little more advantageous for me.

Curve allows easy puck lift on saucer passes

Long lie is just something I've always needed and enjoyed

Get it.
*** is a long lie? There are high lies and low lies.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 10:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Epuck used to have a blade tool that told you the pros and cons of every kind of blade. Unfortunately since hockeygiant bought them, they stripped the site down to nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The lie of a stick refers to the angle between the shaft and the blade. A lie value of 5 corresponds to a 135 angle, and each additional lie value corresponds to a 2 smaller angle.[1] With the bottom of the blade flat on the ice, a higher lie value causes the shaft to stand up straighter. Typical values range from 5 to 7; most sticks now are near 5.5. Goalie sticks typically have a lie between 11 and 15.[2]

Players usually seek a lie that will put the blade flat on the ice while they are in their typical skating stance. Hall of Fame center Wayne Gretzky, for example, used a stick with a low lie to correspond with his deep skating crouch and shorter height, whereas Hall of Fame defenceman Rod Langway used a stick with a very high lie number as he was very tall and tended to skate in a very upright position.
Quote:
The curve refers to the basic amount the blade curves from toe to heel, as well as the part of the blade where that curve is located. A "toe curve" means that the curve is concentrated near the toe of the blade, and it is usually preferred by forwards, who seek better puckhandling and more accurate wrist shots. A "heel curve" is generally better for slap shots, and is thus used more by defencemen.

Face angle is the angle between the ice surface and the front surface of the blade (this characteristic is comparable to the difference between the different irons in golf). A more "open" blade means that the face of the blade is turned up more sharply, and thus will cause a higher trajectory than a "closed" face angle.

The toe shape refers to the basic shape of the end of the blade, and it is typically either round or square. Square toes make it easier to pull a puck off the boards or to do "toe fakes" (stickhandling moves using the toe of the blade), whereas round toes make it easier to "flip" the puck, and also offer slight advantages in basic puckhandling.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Phoenix

ooh that is fantastic, thank you!

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
*** is a long lie? There are high lies and low lies.
Low lie brother, no need to swear.

Karl with a C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 02:34 PM
deanosaur

lidstrom, sakic, draper ive got great accuracy with
drury, messier, forsberg i cant shoot with
its really personal preference.
if you like the big banana curves then get it
if you like the straight blades like smyth then get it haha

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:40 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Thanks PruBlue25, that helps a lot, I now know what I need to look for. Here's a question though, what do you do when you need a more obscure blade type? When I started playing Ice Hockey back in the Fall I had a hard time finding the proper curve. I tried a Coffey stick with a heel curve, but that really through off my stickhandling. I tried a Sakic stick, both cut to the 'proper' below the chin height and the original size which I prefer, it's more or less what I want but the lie was wrong. Took me a while to realize it but when I extend my reach the toe comes off the ice, which was causing me to misshandle the puck, fan shots, miss passes, etc. Could be because my arms are an inch longer than whats usual for my height. Then I pulled my old beat up floor hockey stick out of the closet, a wood Koho Torpedo with a Jagr blade, and it was perfect.

Except of course Koho was bought out (by Rbk?) and I'm having a hell of a time finding another Jagr stick. My old one is still holding up but it won't be much longer. So how do I get myself a new stick if up to this point I wouldn't know if I liked the stick until I was actually using it on the ice?

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote