HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

According to Steve Simmons : Sundin nixed deal to Habs

Old
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
baston

vCash: 500
According to Steve Simmons : Sundin nixed deal to Habs

Links :

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...f-5018326.html
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/248085.html

Quote:
Mats Sundin, a Montreal Canadiens player?

Had Bob Gainey and Cliff Fletcher had their way at the trade deadline, Sundin would now, healthy or not, be a member of Les Glorieux.

The deal was in Sundin's hands: All he had to do was give his blessing to be dealt, which he did not.

The agreed-to trade would have sent speedy winger Christopher Higgins to the Leafs, along with Montreal's first-, second- and third-round draft picks going to Toronto in exchange for the captain.

baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
HABkings

yesterdays news

HABkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Scuba-Steve

vCash: 50
God i would have cried!

Higgins + 1st + 2nd + 3rd for a rental?It's somewhat hard to believe though.I mean,if Gainey wasn't ready to pull the trigger for Hossa,i seriously doubt he was for Sundin...

Scuba-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Just like the BS Bernier for Avery deal, this is false.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Ike Thermite

Yeah, I find it difficult to believe Fletcher would even bother taking a deal involving a division rival (especially the Habs or Senators) to Mats. If you don't know he's going to turn that down, your head is so far up your ass it's a miracle you're still breathing.

Plus it's Steve Simmons, so that's another reason to call ********.

Ike Thermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 04:25 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
Just like the BS Bernier for Avery deal, this is false.
...and yet reported by multiple sources, one of which not a 'Leafs' reporter ...though he named Higgins, a prospect, a 1st and another pick...

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig4 View Post
Yeah, I find it difficult to believe Fletcher would even bother taking a deal involving a division rival (especially the Habs or Senators) to Mats. If you don't know he's going to turn that down, your head is so far up your ass it's a miracle you're still breathing.

Plus it's Steve Simmons, so that's another reason to call ********.
you find it difficult to believe from fletcher's perspective???

lol

gainey would never do this

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
...and yet reported by multiple sources, one of which not a 'Leafs' reporter ...though he named Higgins, a prospect, a 1st and another pick...
oh yeah who's these multiple sources you speak of? fact is this originated with the unreliable simmons. gainey would never ever have done this. he wouldn't deal higgins for hossa and he wasn't going to do it for a guy 8 years older who would've resigned with the leafs + 3 high picks in a deep draft? when was the last time gainey dealt a high pick???

2004 for kovalev. this trade is nonsense. go to the habs board, it's been beaten to death

Old
03-17-2008, 05:56 PM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
oh yeah who's these multiple sources you speak of? fact is this originated with the unreliable simmons. gainey would never ever have done this. he wouldn't deal higgins for hossa and he wasn't going to do it for a guy 8 years older who would've resigned with the leafs + 3 high picks in a deep draft? when was the last time gainey dealt a high pick???

2004 for kovalev. this trade is nonsense. go to the habs board, it's been beaten to death
Sorry buddy. What remains unknown to most Habs fans is that you actually have to GIVE to GET.

Sundin would have been the highest profile player available - giving up Higgins and some picks is not outside of the realm of possibility.

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 07:18 PM
The Thomas J.*

where is the Kitchen sink? this is BS

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 07:22 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
Sorry buddy. What remains unknown to most Habs fans is that you actually have to GIVE to GET.

Sundin would have been the highest profile player available - giving up Higgins and some picks is not outside of the realm of possibility.
you clearly don't know how gainey functions and outside of the famous iginla deal of like what? 15 years ago, gainey won't deal high picks or core players. as far the habs concerned the player they coveted the most was hossa. they were not going to give up higgins in the hossa deal - and i can assure you gainey was not going to give up their 24 year old assistant captain for 2 months of sundin. numerous sources including TO sources like stephen brunt - who were in montreal for 23's jersey retirement were reporting that 21 was NEVER on the table. so higgins is a non-starter - the fact that they would have also given up their top 3 picks, without already having a 5th rounder so essentially having like 1 or 2 picks in this draft and no higgins for 2 months is laughable. further the habs don't need another center - they wanted a winger (hossa) to play with koivu and higgins.

simmons pulled this deal out of his arse as a way of getting back at sundin - to scapegoat him, maybe pay him back for humiliating him for his dumb hip injury report last year.

Old
03-17-2008, 08:03 PM
AH

Simmons is doing MLSE's dirty work. This is the post-3rd-year-out-of-playoffs-and-no-relief-in-sight spin job that they are putting out. They need someone to blame for their mess and Mats is the target now.

This is no different than the rumours of Edler+Kesler+Bourdon+1st+2nd for Jokinen supposed request from Florida that eminated from Vancouver a couple of days after the trade deadline. Someone in the front office was trying to get rid of the backlash for Nonis being so inactive.

Spin meistering at its finest. See how the story from Simmons only broke AFTER Saturday's loss to Buffalo which pretty much finished any chance the Leafs had at making a late run.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Ike Thermite

Quote:
you find it difficult to believe from fletcher's perspective???

lol

gainey would never do this
I wasn't talking about it from a value perspective. Just that I doubt Fletcher would have ever approached Sundin with a deal that would send him to Montreal. Only an absolute fool would think he'd accept a deal there or Ottawa.

Ike Thermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Guillemin

Oh man, please not Steve Simmons.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2008, 09:37 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig4 View Post
I wasn't talking about it from a value perspective. Just that I doubt Fletcher would have ever approached Sundin with a deal that would send him to Montreal. Only an absolute fool would think he'd accept a deal there or Ottawa.
i agree

Old
03-18-2008, 09:43 AM
KT7

Quote:
you clearly don't know how gainey functions and outside of the famous iginla deal of like what? 15 years ago, gainey won't deal high picks or core players. as far the habs concerned the player they coveted the most was hossa. they were not going to give up higgins in the hossa deal - and i can assure you gainey was not going to give up their 24 year old assistant captain for 2 months of sundin. numerous sources including TO sources like stephen brunt - who were in montreal for 23's jersey retirement were reporting that 21 was NEVER on the table. so higgins is a non-starter - the fact that they would have also given up their top 3 picks, without already having a 5th rounder so essentially having like 1 or 2 picks in this draft and no higgins for 2 months is laughable. further the habs don't need another center - they wanted a winger (hossa) to play with koivu and higgins.

simmons pulled this deal out of his arse as a way of getting back at sundin - to scapegoat him, maybe pay him back for humiliating him for his dumb hip injury report last year.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on the Gainey trade-approach front - I'm just saying, if Sundin was in fact on the table for the Canadiens, the value isn't really that far off.

You bring up Hossa as a scoring winger who wouldn't be gone after July 1st, but how do you know that? He was a UFA just like Sundin.

As for the media revenge comment, I suppose - but that's between Sundin and Simmons.

The fact remains - If Montreal is in fact in the hunt (I believe they're as close as anyone else in the East) then Sundin>Higgins + Picks at least in the short-term, and that point is really not debatable.

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

How brutal would that have been if this deal got done and Sundin had taken the Habs to the Finals. Yikes.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzed1 View Post
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on the Gainey trade-approach front - I'm just saying, if Sundin was in fact on the table for the Canadiens, the value isn't really that far off.

You bring up Hossa as a scoring winger who wouldn't be gone after July 1st, but how do you know that? He was a UFA just like Sundin.

As for the media revenge comment, I suppose - but that's between Sundin and Simmons.

The fact remains - If Montreal is in fact in the hunt (I believe they're as close as anyone else in the East) then Sundin>Higgins + Picks at least in the short-term, and that point is really not debatable.
The issue is not just value. There are probably better odds that a guy like Hossa would sign in Montreal than a guy like Sundin. Sundin would be strictly a rental, whereas IMO there would be a much better chance for Hossa signing longterm in Montreal if things went well. If Gainey wasn't willing to include Higgins in a deal for Hossa, who he at least a chance to re-sign, I doubt he would include Higgins in a deal for a player who was clearly just going to be a rental for this season. I have serious doubts that Gainey ever included Higgins in a proposal for Sundin. Gainey was probably willing to mortgage the future to a certain extent, but he had his limits.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 10:22 AM
lyrrad

"According to Steve Simmons..."

aaaaaaaaaand now I stop reading on...

lyrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Nolanitis

Boy, when it comes to the Leafs the media makes up insane rumors. I am an Isles fan, and I bet Gainey would not trade Higgins for Sundin straight up, unless Sundin agreed to an extension (I am not sure he would then still). Now the Habs are offering a rising star that is still controlled by the CBA plus 3 picks. Funny stuff.

Then there is Garrioch's report that the Flyers were trading Caarter and their #1 for Kaberle.

If only these 2 guys would have agreed to waive their NTC's, the Leafs would have been Cup contenders next year! Funny stuff coming from the hockey heartland

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Another near-deal heard on the FAN 590 not long after the deadline was the Sharks dangling Bernier for Kubina.

Not sure how much truth there was to it, or whether the Sharks were going after a signed player first before turning their attention to Campbell. Either way, Kubina's one of the Muskoka Five, and refused to leave.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Simmons is doing MLSE's dirty work. This is the post-3rd-year-out-of-playoffs-and-no-relief-in-sight spin job that they are putting out. They need someone to blame for their mess and Mats is the target now.
Hit the nail on the head.

I absolutely hate how MLSE is turning a lot of Leaf Nation fans into scorning their top paid players for the teatms failures intead of who it should be scorned upon: management. Just listen to John Ferguson Jr. stumble on TSN when they asked if he could have made this deal and that deal. He couldn't without permission. Everything had to be approved.

So now you have Mats Sundin, a guy with the heart of a Champion, refusing to do anything other than win, and after years of management being unable to give him the right team to win with (The guy hasn't had a serious winger since Mogilny) they now expect him to bail them out from harvesting their future for failed en devours (Nolan, Leetch, Raycroft, Perreault, Francis, etc.). You also have Tucker, Kubina and McCabe, one who shouldn't have been signed in the first place (Kubina) when the team needed another forward. Tucker and McCabe, on the other hand, loved Toronto and wanted to stay in Toronto, but still wanted as much money as possible, and the Leafs gave it to them! Instead of trying to hit the market down the road, they keep these guys to please the fans and MLSE and suddenly find themselves stuck!

Long story short, MLSE continues to fail the Leafs fanbase and will find any and every scapegoat possible to hide their shame. I would feel sorry for the Leafs and their continued streak of abysmal management if it wasn't for the fact I'm a Habs fan and I find it entertaining.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post

This is no different than the rumours of Edler+Kesler+Bourdon+1st+2nd for Jokinen supposed request from Florida that eminated from Vancouver a couple of days after the trade deadline. Someone in the front office was trying to get rid of the backlash for Nonis being so inactive.

Spin meistering at its finest. See how the story from Simmons only broke AFTER Saturday's loss to Buffalo which pretty much finished any chance the Leafs had at making a late run.
You wear a colander on your head and hang iron hangers from the ceiling to block off the government signals as well?

Simmons is a idiot, but with that being said your reading too much into it.....

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Dark Knight
#PlayoffPush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Another near-deal heard on the FAN 590 not long after the deadline was the Sharks dangling Bernier for Kubina.

Not sure how much truth there was to it, or whether the Sharks were going after a signed player first before turning their attention to Campbell. Either way, Kubina's one of the Muskoka Five, and refused to leave.
Cant blame him much. Afterall he does have contractual rights. Makes it even now that he's been the Leafs best player last 14 games or so.

I honestly believe he's very underappreciated. Both, by Leafs fans and around the league. He's been the best defenseman on the Leafs this season.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 540
Looks like Steve Simmons wanted to draw attention to himself.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote