Interview with Oystrick posted

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
Interview with Oystrick posted

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6644

Talked to his coach as well. I have comments I will make on his play too, but I don't have time to do that right now. Hopefully I'll do that tonight or tomorrow.

Old
02-03-2004, 04:50 AM
Holly Gunning

Whew, busy day.

Comments. Three of us went to this game, and all three of us came away very bullish on him. This kid can play. Exactly how he turns out is a matter for discussion (and it was), but he's got enough skill and drive that he can find his way to the NHL eventually.

Strengths: Almost never beaten. Stands guys up, taking the puck from them. Hits people when given an opportunity. Good skater. I actually said "wow" to a move he made defending a rush. That's always a good sign. Can do everything, no visible flaws.

Weaknesses: Hmm. Well, I didn't see him take any slapshots from the point, I think he always wristed it in. If you fancy yourself any type of offensive defenseman, you need to at least have a slapshot in your arsenal. Maybe he does, but I don't recall seeing it. That's about all I can think of. He does everything well, so there's not a lot to say here. He's 5'11". He's not tall, but he's solid.

At one point in the game he reminded me of Garnet Exelby. I've thought about that comparison a lot now, and while not the best, it's a good tool to at least describe him. I will underline that I'm referring to X as he is this year under Hartley, the calmed down, more well-rounded X who instead of taking himself out of position to go for a hit is playing his position and actually jumping into the play some.

What Oystrick does like Exelby -- he plays a very aggressive defense in which he challenges guys very strongly one on one. This is not a containment, steer them into the corner approach at all. He hits well. He'll fight, though he can't in this league.

How he's not like X: he puts up better numbers, he's a better looking skater (though X gets where he needs to be, he just has bad form). Oystrick is probably a better passer, though I think X makes decent passes. Oystrick probably pinches a bit more and is more comfortable carrying the puck.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 02-03-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old
02-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Holly, do you think Oystrick is a good enough prospect at making Atlanta in the future because I always thought that he was a longshot? Has he impoved a lot since drafted/acquired?

Old
02-03-2004, 11:35 AM
dunwoody_joe

Thanks Holly.

From your mouth to God's ears! An X clone with more offense is just what the Thrashers need.

Tonight in fact!

Old
02-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Holly, do you think Oystrick is a good enough prospect at making Atlanta in the future because I always thought that he was a longshot? Has he impoved a lot since drafted/acquired?
Yes I think he can play in Atlanta down the road. Everyone beyond the first round is a longshot, but from what I can tell yes he's improved a lot. As you may have noticed, I'm usually pretty pessimistic about people, so it feels strange to be optimistic here.

dj, I tried to be clear that he isn't an X clone, but reminded me of him in certain aspects. Better to not expect that out of him and be pleasantly surprised if you get it.

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 02-03-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Closed Thread