HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Workout Suggestions

Old
03-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Fan of The Game

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Workout Suggestions

Hey,

I am an 18yr old, almost six foot and 155 pounds, I am wanting to get an exercise program going for me that is basically designed to do two things, improve my general health and build muscle, but also to become very well conditioned to hockey. I have a full gym at my disposal but would have no idea on how to get setup and since I live in Florida, I doubt anyone knows what hockey training would be. So if anyone could give me a few pointers, websites, or something like that it would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 03:59 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
Hey,

I am an 18yr old, almost six foot and 155 pounds, I am wanting to get an exercise program going for me that is basically designed to do two things, improve my general health and build muscle, but also to become very well conditioned to hockey. I have a full gym at my disposal but would have no idea on how to get setup and since I live in Florida, I doubt anyone knows what hockey training would be. So if anyone could give me a few pointers, websites, or something like that it would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Google searches will come up with some good stuff for you.

But if you want good cardio training for hockey do HIIT. It works best with sprints but a stationary bike also works great. And it should take less than 10 minutes to accomplish.

You want strength? Hit the weights. High weight, low reps.
And consume lots of protein. You're pretty thin for your height so I'd suggest going 2:1 in protein to weight ratio.
So if you're 155 lbs then I'd try to consume 225 grams of protein.

www.abcbodybuilding is a great site to go to for weight training.

But if you're just starting out there's nothing better to gain strength than flat bench barbell bench presses, squats and bicep curls.
And don't forget dead lifts. That will work everything.

Honestly, if you haven't been working out now, doing any kind of weight training (with proper form) you'll see a significant change in your strength and growth.

My work outs are very simple. I hit it hard, don't waste time and make sure my form is perfect every rep. Don't get caught up in the ego aspect. Who cares if you curl 80lbs 10 times if your form is horrible. You're muscles won't grow nearly as fast and you might pull a muscle that's compensating for the bad form.

Good luck!

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Adam91

For the lower body a heavy diet of squats with high weight and low reps would be a start

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:02 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Hey,

Paul
www.bodybuilding.com

http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...5985695&sr=8-1

Only 3 links you'll ever need.

If anyone says P90x, ill shoot you.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:31 PM
nni

look up ripptoe.

http://************************/showthread.php?t=712752

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
I'm interested in that ast-ss site. But I'm still a bit skeptical. I'm a dinosaur in that I have my set beliefs in how many sets I should be doing.

Old
03-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Grabo59

You may find this one interesting. It's Chris Chelios's conditioning routine.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...917/index.html

Grabo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Heat McManus

Focus on your core muscles. I once saw a Navy SEAL workout that was pretty kickass for it.

Peter Twist's book "Total Conditioning for Ice Hockey" is the most comprehensive guide I've found so far. It would work even better if I followed it better hehe. Twist was/is? the strength and conditioning coach for the Vancouver Canucks.

It's available on Amazon and at most Barnes and Noble or Borders. Trevor Linden is on the old cover, Kovalchuck on the new one.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Clyde82

Ok first you're gonna need to eat right in order to see good results. So start drinking lots of water, eat baked or grilled chicken breasts, brown rice, and some greens. Your going to want to start eating at least 6 meals a day to maximize your caloric intake in order to gain weight.

Now as far as working out it appears that you wanna bulk up so like every one else said more weight less reps.
Work your legs twice a week 2 days in between.
stretch before and after every workout this will help build muscle as well.
Drink a protein shake with in 30 minutes of working out

Legs
leg press or squats - 1 set of 10 reps for warmup and then 4 sets of 4-6 reps w/ 1 minute of rest in between sets
leg curls - 1 set of 10 reps for warmup and then 4 sets of 4-6 reps in between reps
Leg extensions - 1x10 4x4-6
calf raises - 2x15 2x10 30 seconds rest increase weight for each set
hockey lunges - 3x10
I usually do abs on leg days aswell but I won't include it

Chest/ Biceps

Bench press 1x10 4x4
incline press 1x10 4x6
decline 3x8
dumbbell bench 3x8
Straight bar bicep curls 1x10 4x5
EZ bar bicep curls 4x8
dumbbell curls 1x12 1x10 1x8 2x6

Back/ triceps
Bent over barbell row 1x10 4x6
Iso Lateral Plate Rows 1x10 4x6
cable rows 4x6
lat pull downs 1x10 4x6
Close grip bench 1x10 4x6
Skull crushers 4x6
triceps cable rope pulldowns 5x5

Shoulder
Military press 1x10 3x8
side raises 3x8
front raises 3x8
shrugs 3x10

If you have any question feel free to ask

Clyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Ludicrous Speed

just out of pure curiosity, what's the difference between more weight and fewer reps and less weight and more reps?

Proportionally they seem to be the same

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Clyde82

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
just out of pure curiosity, what's the difference between more weight and fewer reps and less weight and more reps?

Proportionally they seem to be the same
more weight/ less reps will build more muscle
less weight/ more reps will tone muscle but you won't gain weight or bulk up

Clyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Ludicrous Speed

what's the best way put pack on muscle mass in about 3-4 months? I'm thinking like 15-20 lbs.

Old
03-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
what's the best way put pack on muscle mass in about 3-4 months? I'm thinking like 15-20 lbs.
If it is "new muscle" (you've never been that big before) 15-20 pounds of muscle is both unlikely and probably not a good idea in that time frame.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 02:10 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde82 View Post
Ok first you're gonna need to eat right in order to see good results. So start drinking lots of water, eat baked or grilled chicken breasts, brown rice, and some greens. Your going to want to start eating at least 6 meals a day to maximize your caloric intake in order to gain weight.

Now as far as working out it appears that you wanna bulk up so like every one else said more weight less reps.
Work your legs twice a week 2 days in between.
I'm not trying to insult anyone but that is the worst advice anyone could give.
You build muscle when you're NOT working out. The rest period is the most crucial when developing strength and size. If you're working out the same body part too frequently, the muscle never gets a chance to repair and grow. It'll stunt your muscles development. Trust me, I know.
The ideal wait period is 5 to 7 days.
I used to work out a body part more than once a week and while I did make gains at first, eventually, it hurt far more than it helped. When I started only working out one muscle group per week, my gains (both strength and size) went through the roof.
Rest, rest, rest, is key! Even how much you rest between sets. 2-3 minutes is usually the norm.

Quote:
more weight/ less reps will build more muscle
less weight/ more reps will tone muscle but you won't gain weight or bulk up
This is also another terrible myth based on speculation, not facts.
There is a lot of information out there that proves, scientifically, that this is false.
If you want to be ripped and toned, then change your diet. Your level of definition is based on your body fat %. Want to 'rip-up'? Start eating better.
Want to build bigger muscles and more strength? Do heavy weight with lower reps (between 4-6 reps). And do it with perfect form, 100% intensity, and with plenty of rests between sets and workouts.
There is no benefit to doing more reps and lower weights. That is, unless you want smaller muscles. But doing more reps with less weights will not help you become more defined whatsoever.

Last edited by AngryBoss: 03-25-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old
03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I know this is a dumb question, but what what do you mean by tone? I hear that word but don't really know what they mean.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
bodybuilding.com is probably the single worse contribution to this thread.

What you want is power training. Builds everything you need.

i would highly recommend you check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Po.../dp/1594865841

Bodybuilding is only useful if you want to "look good" but dont care about being in shape to do anything but lifting weights. So it's useless in your case.

You'll thank me later.

if i was you though, i would make my own research as i find that there's a lot of advice in this thread that does not apply at what you are seeking.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
I know this is a dumb question, but what what do you mean by tone? I hear that word but don't really know what they mean.
"Tone" means how defined you are. As in, how much muscular definition you can see on someone's body.

Bruce Lee was extremely 'toned', while Russel Crowe is not.

Old
03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
This is entirely possible but requires very hard work.

First, get your diet in order. Make sure you consume the proper amount of smart calories and protein.
Second, hit the weights. High weight, low reps.

I'm very old in regards to the body building world. Your best age to make big gains in both size and strength are between 18-25. After 25, it becomes a lot harder.
However, when I turned 31 I wanted to gain more weight. I started watching my diet. I made sure to consume protein at a 2:1 ratio (2 grams for every pound of body weight - 300 grams of protein to 200 lbs).
I then started hitting the weights in a very simplistic manor. No fancy isolation movements, just a large amount of raw weight using simplistic compound exercises - benchpress, barbell curls, squats, etc. I did all of this using high weights and low reps (nothing over 8 reps).
After doing this, I gained 10 lbs in 8 weeks and I was as ripped as I had ever been.
It's possible and safe if done properly.

Old
03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
This is entirely possible but requires very hard work.

First, get your diet in order. Make sure you consume the proper amount of smart calories and protein.
Second, hit the weights. High weight, low reps.

I'm very old in regards to the body building world. Your best age to make big gains in both size and strength are between 18-25. After 25, it becomes a lot harder.
However, when I turned 31 I wanted to gain more weight. I started watching my diet. I made sure to consume protein at a 2:1 ratio (2 grams for every pound of body weight - 300 grams of protein to 200 lbs).
I then started hitting the weights in a very simplistic manor. No fancy isolation movements, just a large amount of raw weight using simplistic compound exercises - benchpress, barbell curls, squats, etc. I did all of this using high weights and low reps (nothing over 8 reps).
After doing this, I gained 10 lbs in 8 weeks and I was as ripped as I had ever been.
It's possible and safe if done properly.
Thanks for the info. I'm 17 and I need to get my ass in shape for soccer next year. We're a nationally ranked school, at least we were last year, and I didnt make the team because of a severe concussion. It happened in May last year so I couldn't train for about 2 months and wasn't back to normal for another 3 months. I want to make sure I get a head start this year. I'm on spring break and I want to hit the gym as much as I can.

Old
03-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

so ill throw you fellas a curveball here....i wanna stay around the same weight but gain muscle. im i guess husky?big chest...but the muscle is gone from when i used to wrestle. im like 5'7 165 and am fine weighing that amount cuz i hated when i was 5'7 135...also how many days a week should i workout? my family already eats real healthy like chicken salad and vegetable for dinner s i consume around 1700 calories daily. sorry for hijacking the thread ps!

Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 06:22 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm 17 and I need to get my ass in shape for soccer next year. We're a nationally ranked school, at least we were last year, and I didnt make the team because of a severe concussion. It happened in May last year so I couldn't train for about 2 months and wasn't back to normal for another 3 months. I want to make sure I get a head start this year. I'm on spring break and I want to hit the gym as much as I can.
No problem. For soccer I imagine you'd want to retain a high level of anerobic endurance.
HIIT is perfect for this. Sprint for 200 meters, then walk for 200, then sprint 200, then walk, etc. That will help for soccer or hockey.
Not sure how much muscle you'd want to put on for a sport like soccer as it's not as necessary as a contact sport like football or hockey. But weight training is great for any sport no matter what level you perform it at. You'll have more energy, strength and endurance to fight through peaks and valleys and bounce back quicker from injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
so ill throw you fellas a curveball here....i wanna stay around the same weight but gain muscle. im i guess husky?big chest...but the muscle is gone from when i used to wrestle. im like 5'7 165 and am fine weighing that amount cuz i hated when i was 5'7 135...also how many days a week should i workout? my family already eats real healthy like chicken salad and vegetable for dinner s i consume around 1700 calories daily. sorry for hijacking the thread ps!
The best thing you can do is get your body fat % taken. I don't recommend getting it done with the calibrator (fat pincher) as they're not nearly as accurate as with some of the machines that measure it via water or electricity. Most gyms should have an accurate way of providing this for you.

Once you figure that out, you can determine how much body fat you can drop while adding muscle. If you haven't been working out and are 'husky' I'd bet that your body fat% is around 18-20% (that's not an insult. Most guys that don't weight train are probably walking around at 35% body fat. Even skinny guys. Manute Bol (former NBA player and Etheopian was ridiculously skinny but had 38% body fat).
Through proper dieting and weight training you could easily retain your 165 weight while adding lots of muscle and reducing your body fat%.
I knew a guy that used to box at 147lbs but looked like he weighed 165 because of all his muscle. But he had such a low body fat % that he was able to retain muscle and stay in the welterweight division.

Old
04-17-2008, 09:32 AM
AngryBoss

Not sure if anyone cares but I switched to a Max-OT workout about 4 weeks ago.
So far the gains have been incredible.

I've added 20 lbs to almost every muscle group - bench, curl, triceps extension, military press (actually gained 30 lbs here), etc.
And I've added about 30 lbs to my squat.

I was skeptical at first because I was doing over twice as many sets for some muscle groups as I'm doing now. Arms especially. I was doing 15 sets for Tri's and 12 sets for Bi's. Now I'm doing 5 and 5 with 3 sets for forearms.
In 4 weeks, I've gained a half inch to my arms. Not an easy task for someone who's naturally thin and is nearly 34 years old.

For those that need a change or are hitting plateaus I highly recommend this program. I will be using the MAX-OT principals in all my workouts now.

I might change up the rep scheme and rest time every now and then, just to shock the muscles. But for the most part I'm sticking to the 4-6 rep and 2-3 minute rest intervals while avoiding isolation movements like concentration curls, flys or leg extentions.

The only thing that sucks is that I don't have as much time to get cardio done within the week. But I've been doing it at home at night while incorporating some HITT on the stationary bike after a workout at the gym.

Last edited by AngryBoss: 04-17-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old
04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Kamus

If you want strength stay away from body building routines, most of them are terrible.
Your goal for working out is to develop strength, mass comes from your diet. You can get ridiculously strong with out putting on much weight. For example look at some of the lower weightclass olympic lifters, they lift twice their bodyweight over their heads.
You have to ask yourself what your goal is: to look strong, or to be strong. Than ask yourself what the goal of a bodybuilder is, and what the goal of a power lifter is.

There are many good strength/power lifting routines, but the 5x5 has worked for everyone that I know that has tried it. The link is for Bill Starr's variation, its all laid out for you so you can't mess it up, and its easy to follow. Give this routine two months and I guarantee that you won't be dissapointed.

http://www.eclipsegym.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote