HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Potter

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Potter
Trade Leetch

Rob Blake fetched Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, and Aulin
Ray Bourqe got Rolston, Pahlson, and a pick

Brian Leetch is right up there with those guys as far as impact for a cup run goes. Put him with Barnaby or Simon plus a 3rd and he'll fetch us a 1st rounder, top notch prospect, and a good young player (d or foward, doesn't matter) on the rise. We can always resign him, but this is a trade we have to make for the better of the franchise.

Realistically for this team to have any kind of chance to win the stanely cup in the next 10 years we have to rebuild. There is no way around it. A top notch prospect and another 1st rounder will definetly make that process much easier. Plus, imagine getting a guy like a young Rolston or Deadmarsh or Aaron Miller back.

I got two Ranger jersies, York on my home, Leetch on the away. He is by far the most brilliant defenseman that has ever played on this team. But WE MUST FORGET THE 94' GENERATION!!! We had to do it with Graves and Richter. Hopefully this summer we can do it with Mess. I feel using Leetch in a trade to better the team is not a sign of disrespect. He's got a couple years in him, I wouldn't be against bringing him back. But if we can get anything for him, and given the state of the NHL's defenseman we should get alot, then I say WE DO IT.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Just an observation:

You build a persuasive case for NYR to entertain offers for Leetch.

That said, and regardless of whether or not he would ever be moved, there are degrees of "rebuilding." When a team disappoints fans, as NYR has done for some time, the immediate reaction is to tear the entire thing down, clear everybody out over age 25. Maybe, it's appropriate here. But I'd be cautious. For even young, rebuilding teams need some veteran stability.

To be sure, NYR certainly can use a strong injection of youth into its NHL lineup and that may be a pipedream with Sather/dolan at the helm.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:57 PM
NoHeart

Let say I play devils advocate and i agree with you That we should trade Leetch. the bigger problem is who is doing the trading. Look at Slats track record We have the same odds that sather gets fired as we have that he will get good young talent back. His track record is horrible...look what he got from smith for messier.... DeBebrusk ( i believe ) Mallete, Rice and Nicholls ( if i remember correctly) and he didnt do much better in the draft .... Th e message might be a good one but the messanger sucks !!!!

Old
02-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Fletch

He also turned...

Tikkanen into Weight and Mactavish into Marchant. There's no absolute here. As I stated once before, even if the team goes into full-blown rebuilding mode there is no guarantee that the kids that build this team don't suck. As we've stated, the system's flawed a bit (Farm system that is) and very little will be gotten for the vets.

Old
02-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Hankenstein

Trade Leetch!?!? What are you thinking?!?!? Since we won agaisnt Vancouver last night we are in a playoff race! Don't you see, we need to ship out someone young and promising like Lundmark or Tyutin for that missing verteran presence this team so sorely needs.

Old
02-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Potter

Even if we wanted to, we couldn't gut this team of everybody under 25. We will still have Holik, Kasper, de Vries, Jagr, and Dunham. Trade Poti for anything and hold on to Simon, Barnaby, maybe Nedved, Dlac, Lundmark, Moore, Ortmeyer, Bouchard (give him consistant ice time and he plays great), Murray, and whoever Leetch brings us. Bring in one more solid FA blue liner (Zhitnik, McGillis, Boughner, Klemm) and maybe a solid 3rd/2nd line center (Nikolishin or Sillinger or even Ricci comes to mind) then lets get some young blood out there. Lets see what Heerema, Lampman, Baranka, Jonasen, Juris Stals, Guenin, Aufiero can do!!! Hell, give Wiseman some minutes, what about Nigel Dawes? I think in just a few years you can rebuild this team. If we can get two 1st round picks this year, just imagine what kind of player we can get if we are smart. By the time Holik, Jagr, Kasper, and Dunham are gone we should have the ship headed in the right direction. ALTHOUGH FIRST AND FOREMOST WE NEED A GOOD COACH AND GM!!!!

By trading Leetch we aren't gutting this team of vetern leadership. We are just using one of the few valuable assets we have (thats being wasted on this team) and using it to help our TEAM. I love Leetch and I won't be mad if he stays, actually I would love it. But I feel trading him is the best thing to do.

Now who do you think we trade Leetch too if it happens? Ottawa? Toronto? Vancouver? Dallas? St. Louis?

Old
02-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quick clarification Potter. Wasn't ripping your idea, nor suggesting that you want to blow up the entire roster.

As for who would want Leetch: giving that the contract obligation only runs through next season, I imagine there would be some solid interest. He has looked a half-step behind at times since his return, but he would look good on any contender's backline, e.g., Leafs, Lightning, Bruins, Blues.

(Using the term "contender" liberally here.)

Old
02-04-2004, 09:47 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
Even if we wanted to, we couldn't gut this team of everybody under 25. We will still have Holik, Kasper, de Vries, Jagr, and Dunham. Trade Poti for anything and hold on to Simon, Barnaby, maybe Nedved, Dlac, Lundmark, Moore, Ortmeyer, Bouchard (give him consistant ice time and he plays great), Murray, and whoever Leetch brings us. Bring in one more solid FA blue liner (Zhitnik, McGillis, Boughner, Klemm) and maybe a solid 3rd/2nd line center (Nikolishin or Sillinger or even Ricci comes to mind) then lets get some young blood out there. Lets see what Heerema, Lampman, Baranka, Jonasen, Juris Stals, Guenin, Aufiero can do!!! Hell, give Wiseman some minutes, what about Nigel Dawes? I think in just a few years you can rebuild this team. If we can get two 1st round picks this year, just imagine what kind of player we can get if we are smart. By the time Holik, Jagr, Kasper, and Dunham are gone we should have the ship headed in the right direction. ALTHOUGH FIRST AND FOREMOST WE NEED A GOOD COACH AND GM!!!!

By trading Leetch we aren't gutting this team of vetern leadership. We are just using one of the few valuable assets we have (thats being wasted on this team) and using it to help our TEAM. I love Leetch and I won't be mad if he stays, actually I would love it. But I feel trading him is the best thing to do.

Now who do you think we trade Leetch too if it happens? Ottawa? Toronto? Vancouver? Dallas? St. Louis?
I like your analysis for the most part but I would include Nedved among those who we should try and move.

As far as Leetch is concerned, I would trade him for the best deal available. The Rangers have no size anywhere in the organization. Tampa Bay is loaded with size.
Good trading partners? Plus TB is a good, young, up and coming team with a shot at going places in the playoffs. Not a bad place for Brian to wind up.

Old
02-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I believe leetch should at least have the option. if he says no, the case is dropped. if he is interested, it's the best thing for him at this point.

on a team that had a clue, he could have won another norris or two.

Old
02-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I believe leetch should at least have the option. if he says no, the case is dropped. if he is interested, it's the best thing for him at this point.

ohhh edge i totally agree with you on that one, no doubt would he have another couple of norris's if he played on another team

Old
02-04-2004, 12:23 PM
kazo

Quote:

It would be hard to believe that Leetch would pass up a chance to play on a winning team for what might be his last time.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Esp when one considers that his health is catching up to him now.

I can't believe he is gonna be 36 already. Heck i cant believe Amonte is 33 and even Kovalev is gonna be 31.

Old
02-04-2004, 03:52 PM
moosemessier

totally trade him now. i cannot believe he is still here.

Quote:
Esp when one considers that his health is catching up to him now.

I can't believe he is gonna be 36 already. Heck i cant believe Amonte is 33 and even Kovalev is gonna be 31.

Closed Thread