HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Falcons to Hold Major Press Conference on Thursday

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Doug

vCash: 500
Falcons to Hold Major Press Conference on Thursday

FALCONS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE ON THURSDAY

February 03, 2004

Springfield, MA The Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League (AHL) will hold a press conference in the Mass Mutual Reception Gallery of the Basketball Hall of Fame for a major announcement this Thursday beginning at 1:00 p.m. Local media is strongly encouraged to attend. The event is also open to the general public.

"Proud Affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes"

Source: http://www.falconsahl.com/detpages/pressbox1734.shtml

I don't have any idea what this could be for. Hopefully the news is good.

Old
02-03-2004, 07:52 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
FALCONS TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE ON THURSDAY

February 03, 2004

Springfield, MA The Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League (AHL) will hold a press conference in the Mass Mutual Reception Gallery of the Basketball Hall of Fame for a major announcement this Thursday beginning at 1:00 p.m. Local media is strongly encouraged to attend. The event is also open to the general public.

"Proud Affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes"

Source: http://www.falconsahl.com/detpages/pressbox1734.shtml

I don't have any idea what this could be for. Hopefully the news is good.
Hey Doug, what would be a good news for you?

a- Marty is fired
b- End of the coyotes-falcons relationship
c- Marty is fired
d- The falcons have a playoff wild card
e- Marty is fired
f- Landon is out
g- Marty is fired
h- The locker rooms are going to be refurbished
i- eeeee.... you know what is mean.

Old
02-03-2004, 07:54 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain

a- Marty is fired
c- Marty is fired
e- Marty is fired
f- Landon is out
g- Marty is fired
could be a special appearance by Wayne Gretzky.

Old
02-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Doug

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's about an affiliation change. I can't see McSorley stepping down.

Old
02-03-2004, 08:00 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's about an affiliation change. I can't see McSorley stepping down.
If so, would you be happy to have Tampa back as your affiliatied team?

Old
02-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Bezina57

The big announcement is that there are seats still available for Friday and Saturdays games.... LOL

Old
02-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Doug

Quote:
If so, would you be happy to have Tampa back as your affiliatied team?
Yes and no. From my own personal point-of-view, I thought the majority of Tampa's players were terrible when they played in Springfield. And I still contend that it isn't Phoenix's fault that the veterans are severely underachieving in Springfield. But, most Springfield fans do not share my thoughts about the situation, and I fear that the much of ticket-buying public will stop supporting the Falcons if they continue to remain affiliated with Phoenix. Most fans here really don't like the Coyotes (to put it nicely), which is understandable considering the last five seasons. Attendance is down by A LOT this season in Springfield and Landon and Co. need to turn things around in a hurry. With that said, I think it may be time for the Falcons and Coyotes to go in separate directions.

Old
02-03-2004, 08:34 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
could be a special appearance by Wayne Gretzky.

Also thinking along those lines. Any affiliation change wouldn't be announced till after the season ends in April.

Old
02-03-2004, 08:56 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
Also thinking along those lines. Any affiliation change wouldn't be announced till after the season ends in April.
But in Springfield it looks like the season ends in february!

Old
02-03-2004, 08:58 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But in Springfield it looks like the season ends in february!
De Facto it ended last weekend.

Old
02-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Mark O

Quote:

a- Marty is fired
c- Marty is fired
e- Marty is fired
f- Landon is out
g- Marty is fired
Correct answers are: a, c,e,f,g,i. b may be addressed at the end of the season. h is in the works along with the renovation.

Old
02-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Quote:
I thought the majority of Tampa's players were terrible when they played in Springfield.
Maybe, but on a positive note, the Hershey Bears best players are that of the Lightning property (Willis, Keefe, Perrin, Trepanier).

The Lightning have some good up and coming talent in Eero Somervouri, Jean-Francois Soucy, and Ryan Craig. Not to mention the SEL's best goalie in Fredirk Norrena who would 100x better than god awful Konstantinov (who IMO should and will be let go after this season). Huge 6'5" goalie Brian Eklund of the ECHL has been facing 40+ shots and is ready to make the jump to the AHL. Gerard Dicaire is one of the better defensemen on the Utah Grizzlies, maybe veteran Sascha Goc will make a return to North America. With the addition of Darryl Sydor, veteran AHLer Darren Rumble could provide some stabilization on the blueline. See things are looking up......

So IF this announcement is in fact a switch of affiliations, I don't think it will be as bad the 2nd time around

Old
02-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Bezina57

Looks like the announcement is a change back to Tampa in affliation so everyone will be happy.. Those who want Marty out, well he will be out and those who want Phoenix out, they will be out.

Old
02-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Doug

The Springfield Repubican is reporting the the Falcons will introduce the Tampa Bay Lightning as their new primary affiliate for the next three seasons on Thursday.

Falcons to switch affiliates

Old
02-04-2004, 10:03 AM
RealFalconsSupporter

Marty being fired would be too good to be true. The vets simply won't listen to him as they are sick of his act.

I was of the understanding that the Coyotes and Springfield had a 3 year agreement with this being the first year so they would have to be in agreement to break the deal.

Our arena looks like it's been through a war. Ticket office is in a trailer, all seats are ripped and look 100 years old and the corridors are plain ugly. We don't have a score clock at center ice or have replays to see the one or two exciting plays that happen during a game this year. Bruce Landon is a good owner and a decent GM. Our arena will look like new in another year or two. A new affiliation works for me as the timing would be right for a fresh start with a new vision.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Looks like the news is already out.

Just wanted to add my thanks to the Springfielders who have posted here - Doug, Bezina57, IceLady, RFS and Mark O and wish you all the best with Tampa.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:07 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex

Just wanted to add my thanks to the Springfielders who have posted here - Doug, Bezina57, IceLady, RFS and Mark O and wish you all the best with Tampa.
Ditto on the gratitude. I wonder who the new affiliate for Phoenix will be? I hope and pray there won't be another joint-affiliation.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Seems like its going to be Utah Grizzlies. Dallas are leaving apparently.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:23 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:

Hey Stevex you forgot to mention Scoob in your thanks!

Old
02-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Dan

Quote:

Agreed, especially Doug. When he had his site, the game reviews were always good. If Utah has fans as open, honest, and civil as the names mentioned above, we'll be doing good. I hope Tampa is better for Springfield and I hope they don't trade for Patty!

Old
02-04-2004, 02:41 PM
ParisSaintGermain

At the end of the day, I think we need to question the timing of this announcement.
I mean, there are still two months of hockey to be played and even if The falcons are never going to make the playoffs, it just can't be good for the Coyotes prospects to be in this kind of environment. Which makes me think that the relationship between the Coyotes and The Falcons managemenents must have been badly deteriorated as such a move (press conference) will only be beneficiary to Springfield (the season tickets holders will feel that they have been heard by Landon)... Well I suppose It is fair enough for Springfield fans (They have been paying to watch awful hockey all year).

Last edited by ParisSaintGermain: 02-04-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old
02-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Doug

First, thanks to all the Phoenix fans. The last few years have not been great for either the Coyotes or Falcons. Hopefully, both franchises will find success as they go their separate years. Regardless of what anyone else says, I do believe that Phoenix wanted and tried to put a successful team in Springfield this season. The Ferraro twins have greatly underachieved, along with Banham and Shuchuk (whose signing to be a player I greatly question), and Helmer has missed over half of the season. With the exception of bringing in Shuchuk to play, NONE of this can be blamed on Phoenix. Players underachieve, injuries happen, and some teams just never seem to mesh. But I disagree with Springfield fans who point all the blame on Coyotes' management.

Second, the timing of all this is indeed very bizare. I have to wonder that if the Falcons were in a playoff position right now (or close to one), would this be announced now? Even if the affiliation switch had been discussed and agreed to by all of the parties, would they still choose to announce it during the first week of February?

I really wish I could be at the press conference tomorrow. If I had a car on campus, I would go. I have enough time between classes to make the one-hour drive up and down, attend the press conference, and still be back at school in time for my second class of the day. Someone on the AHL Boards claims they talked to a Falcons' staff worker this morning and heard that the Falcons may also be changing the team name back to the old Springfield Indians. I find that difficult to believe, but I also find the timing of announcing the new affiliation to be a bit strange as well, so I suppose anything is possible. Anyway, it should be interesting to hear what it said tomorrow.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:29 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
At the end of the day, I think we need to question the timing of this announcement.
I mean, there are still two months of hockey to be played and even if The falcons are never going to make the playoffs, it just can't be good for the Coyotes prospects to be in this kind of environment. Which makes me think that the relationship between the Coyotes and The Falcons managemenents must have been badly deteriorated as such a move (press conference) will only be beneficiary to Springfield (the season tickets holders will feel that they have been heard by Landon)... Well I suppose It is fair enough for Springfield fans (They have been paying to watch awful hockey all year).
The season ticket holders have been paying to watch awful hockey since the 99-2000 season. When it's that many years in a row it's quite obvious where the blame lies. The affiliation change was not made on this year's play alone. As previously stated Phoenix treats their prospects differenty than the vast majority of NHL clubs do as the won-loss record of the last 5 years here speaks for itself. Landon knows he can't do it with the E and U players sent here by Phoenix over the years so it was time for a change.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:33 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
The season ticket holders have been paying to watch awful hockey since the 99-2000 season. When it's that many years in a row it's quite obvious where the blame lies. The affiliation change was not made on this year's play alone. As previously stated Phoenix treats their prospects differenty than the vast majority of NHL clubs do as the won-loss record of the last 5 years here speaks for itself. Landon knows he can't do it with the E and U players sent here by Phoenix over the years so it was time for a change.
Where you thinking the same last year when the Falcons made the playoffs?

Old
02-04-2004, 06:40 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
You are the only one who refuses to believe it is not solely the Coyotes' fault.

Closed Thread