HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Falcons to Hold Major Press Conference on Thursday

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2004, 06:44 PM
  #26
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor
 
scoob4093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield Ma.
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
Where you thinking the same last year when the Falcons made the playoffs?
The Falcons finished 10th in a 14 team conf. last season a number of games below .500. They did not make the playoffs on merit. They won a best of 3 qualifying series to make the playoffs where they won one game. The team has not won a playoff series since the spring of 1997 and has been above the .500 mark for about 10 days total since 1999. Small wonder why Landon terminated the relationship. The fans in Salt Lake City may have no idea what they have in store for them next season.

scoob4093 is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 06:45 PM
  #27
Waldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
The positive aspect is that we won't have to listen to scoob whining about everything. He can ***** and complain to the new sponsors.

Waldo is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 06:47 PM
  #28
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor
 
scoob4093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield Ma.
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
You are the only one who refuses to believe it is not solely the Coyotes' fault.
Please elaborate as to where the primary blame should lie for the last 5 seasons. Coaching, has been veterans, prospects in over their head, bad luck ?

scoob4093 is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 07:14 PM
  #29
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
Please elaborate as to where the primary blame should lie for the last 5 seasons. Coaching, has been veterans, prospects in over their head, bad luck ?
I'm not saying the Coyotes have no share in the problem, I'm saying it's not solely their fault. Remember, until last year, Tampa shared the team. Also, the Falcons have made some questionable signings.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 07:15 PM
  #30
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
Small wonder why Landon terminated the relationship.
I think it's safe to say it was a mutual decision.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 08:17 PM
  #31
Bezina57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Thanks Stevex, but you sound like we will be leaving the Coyotes board since the affiliation is gone... Its a fun board and there are players in the Coyotes organization I will continue to follow so I will still be around

Bezina57 is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 08:19 PM
  #32
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor
 
scoob4093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield Ma.
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I think it's safe to say it was a mutual decision.
Agreed. Geographically speaking it isn't a good match although the Kings and Manchester seem to have made it work; they've never had a sub .500 season. Differing philosophies as to prospect development yield differing results I guess.

scoob4093 is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 08:20 PM
  #33
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
Agreed. Geographically speaking it isn't a good match although the Kings and Manchester seem to have made it work; they've never had a sub .500 season. Differing philosophies as to prospect development yield differing results I guess.
And you continue to dodge my question, not long after accusing others of question dodging.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 08:24 PM
  #34
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor
 
scoob4093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield Ma.
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
And you continue to dodge my question, not long after accusing others of question dodging.
Seems to me you're the one doing the dodging. I was the one accused of being too negative yet when I asked anyone to post anything positive done by Phoenix toward the Falcons commencing with the 1999 season it has been met with no response.

scoob4093 is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 08:37 PM
  #35
ParisSaintGermain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,396
vCash: 500
Well it is the classic thing between Nhl and Ahl when it doesn't work out: The AHL owners/fans don't give a flying monkey about seeing prospects develop but want to win the Calder Cup and for the NHL owners/fans: whatever Calder cup, the thing that matters is the prospects to get ready for the NHL.
Between the Falcons and the Coyotes it didn't work out, so let's draw a line and hope for better for both sides in the future.

ParisSaintGermain is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 08:45 PM
  #36
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
Seems to me you're the one doing the dodging. I was the one accused of being too negative yet when I asked anyone to post anything positive done by Phoenix toward the Falcons commencing with the 1999 season it has been met with no response.
The Coyotes pay the Falcons to take their players, and the Coyotes pay most of the contracts. They also provide them with players.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 08:50 PM
  #37
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor
 
scoob4093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield Ma.
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
The Coyotes pay the Falcons to take their players, and the Coyotes pay most of the contracts. They also provide them with players.
You are misinformed sir. The Falcons pay the affiliation fee usually between 800,000 and 1,000,000 not the other way around . Please reference the Landon thread in support.

scoob4093 is offline  
Old
02-04-2004, 10:22 PM
  #38
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
Seems to me you're the one doing the dodging. I was the one accused of being too negative yet when I asked anyone to post anything positive done by Phoenix toward the Falcons commencing with the 1999 season it has been met with no response.
not that I want to interrupt but prior to 2000 our prospect cupboard was bare. we had nothing. First round picks Scott Kelman, Kiril Safronov, Patrick Desrochers, Dan Focht, etc. were for lack of a better term busts. That is Phoenix's fault. That is what happens when you don't invest in your scouting staff because your franchise is going bankrupt.

Phoenix tried to stem the tide for Springfield by bringing in the top prospects of Tampa. That didn't pan out because there isn't enough ice time for the prospects and the abundance of prospects didn't leave enough room for the veterans required for AHL success. Yes, they tried to sign some stop gap measures after the removal of Tampa but it is hard to totally revamp a farm team and receive instant chemistry and results. The Ferraro brothers, Banham - who played well last year, etc. didn't work out. Again, hindsight is 20/20.

Since Gretzky and the addition of Dave Draper things have improved. We have drafted players who look capable of being legitimate assets. We've had some struggles obviously as the development of guys like McLeod would attest. However, hindsight is 20/20. Everyone thought we had a player in McLeod. We spent a lot of money to acquire him. He may still be a player because it is becoming more and more apparent that coaching is a problem. Is coaching the fault of the parent organization? Definately. The worst thing is that most of the players that Draper and co. have drafted are just about to start making the jump to the pro ranks. Both the quality and quantity of these prospects will improve our farm system in time. However, time is the one asset Phoenix does not have.

Bottom line is I agree with you Scoob. Phoenix operated Springfield too cheaply and the steps they've taken to right past wrongs have not been enough. They made the situation worse with a poor decision for coach. Again, all of this is hindsight. It's too bad it didn't work out but that is life. Things will improve for Phoenix's farm team in short-order. It is too bad that it will be in another city. Good luck with your new affiliate.

hbk is online now  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:10 AM
  #39
Mark O
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
The Falcons finished 10th in a 14 team conf. last season a number of games below .500. They did not make the playoffs on merit. They won a best of 3 qualifying series to make the playoffs where they won one game. The team has not won a playoff series since the spring of 1997 and has been above the .500 mark for about 10 days total since 1999. Small wonder why Landon terminated the relationship. The fans in Salt Lake City may have no idea what they have in store for them next season.
Last season the team never quit, making a run at the end of the season to make the playoffs. They then went into a building they had not won in all season long and won two straight. Next was the eventual Conference finalist Hamilton, whom they played pretty evenly after the first game, eventually losing the series, but not without a fight to the end. It has been all different this year. These guys are just going through the motions. If it weren't for the goaltenders practically standing on their heads night in and night out, this team would be blown out almost every game.

Mark O is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 12:23 AM
  #40
Mark O
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Looks like the news is already out.

Just wanted to add my thanks to the Springfielders who have posted here - Doug, Bezina57, IceLady, RFS and Mark O and wish you all the best with Tampa.
To Stevex and friends,

I echo Doug's sentiments. As a hockey fan, I wish your team well. I can also tell you that there are those who follow the players here quite closely and will continue to do so. Best of luck and keep in touch!

Mark O is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 09:33 AM
  #41
eye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the 49th para
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Phoenix tried to stem the tide for Springfield by bringing in the top prospects of Tampa. That didn't pan out because there isn't enough ice time for the prospects and the abundance of prospects didn't leave enough room for the veterans required for AHL success. Yes, they tried to sign some stop gap measures after the removal of Tampa but it is hard to totally revamp a farm team and receive instant chemistry and results. The Ferraro brothers, Banham - who played well last year, etc. didn't work out. Again, hindsight is 20/20.

Since Gretzky and the addition of Dave Draper things have improved. We have drafted players who look capable of being legitimate assets. We've had some struggles obviously as the development of guys like McLeod would attest. However, hindsight is 20/20. Everyone thought we had a player in McLeod. We spent a lot of money to acquire him. He may still be a player because it is becoming more and more apparent that coaching is a problem. Is coaching the fault of the parent organization? Definately. The worst thing is that most of the players that Draper and co. have drafted are just about to start making the jump to the pro ranks. Both the quality and quantity of these prospects will improve our farm system in time. However, time is the one asset Phoenix does not have.

hbk, I agree with a lot of what you say and always have but check my archives and you can exclude me from "everyone" when it comes to predicting big things for McLeod. I was one who felt it was money being spent to satisfy the fans and a poor attempt to compensate for not having a 1st pick. I questioned his quickness, feel for the game and his skating. I said the same about Knyazev and so far I have been proven correct. I will take it one step further. Now that I see more Junior and College games with my spare time I have my doubts that Eager or Korius will become NHL'rs. I do think that Redenbach like I said last summer when stevex was doing the top20 prospects deserves to be at the top of the list.

eye is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 03:49 PM
  #42
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
hbk, I agree with a lot of what you say and always have but check my archives and you can exclude me from "everyone" when it comes to predicting big things for McLeod. I was one who felt it was money being spent to satisfy the fans and a poor attempt to compensate for not having a 1st pick. I questioned his quickness, feel for the game and his skating. I said the same about Knyazev and so far I have been proven correct. I will take it one step further. Now that I see more Junior and College games with my spare time I have my doubts that Eager or Korius will become NHL'rs. I do think that Redenbach like I said last summer when stevex was doing the top20 prospects deserves to be at the top of the list.
Have you seen Redenbach some more this year then? It would be nice to have a report on him. I hope his goalscoring will translate.. it isnt that high.

About McLeod, I think hbk is referring to the scouting network and hockeysfuture in general... not literally claiming every single soul has gone out and made a prediction that he would be the next big thing in hockey. I used the advanced search tool to check your archives (and those of eyeinthesky) concerning McLeod and it seems that actually most of them were questioning management for not playing him more in preseason - there was nothing to be found about McLeod's quickness, feel for the game or skating? There was also nothing specifically about Knyazev save a preseason game report from a scouting buddy of yours and the gist was he didnt notice Knyazev.

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 05:37 PM
  #43
eye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the 49th para
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Have you seen Redenbach some more this year then? It would be nice to have a report on him. I hope his goalscoring will translate.. it isnt that high.

About McLeod, I think hbk is referring to the scouting network and hockeysfuture in general... not literally claiming every single soul has gone out and made a prediction that he would be the next big thing in hockey. I used the advanced search tool to check your archives (and those of eyeinthesky) concerning McLeod and it seems that actually most of them were questioning management for not playing him more in preseason - there was nothing to be found about McLeod's quickness, feel for the game or skating? There was also nothing specifically about Knyazev save a preseason game report from a scouting buddy of yours and the gist was he didnt notice Knyazev.
fair enough explanation on behalf of hbk stevex but my comments about McLeod and Knyazev were well documented on many occasions during the months of June and July. I didn't check to see if the archives go back that far but I'm sure CT could confirm this as it was mostly he that I was debating with. I know hbk was high on Knyazev as well and several Falcons fans have given their opinions so I need not say more on this topic.

eye is offline  
Old
02-05-2004, 09:54 PM
  #44
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
fair enough explanation on behalf of hbk stevex but my comments about McLeod and Knyazev were well documented on many occasions during the months of June and July. I didn't check to see if the archives go back that far but I'm sure CT could confirm this as it was mostly he that I was debating with. I know hbk was high on Knyazev as well and several Falcons fans have given their opinions so I need not say more on this topic.

i was definately head cheerleader on the Knyazev bandwagon. I'm still absolutely thrilled with the deal for us though given how much Tanabe has added to our offense.

back to Knyazev though. Hey, the draft reviews were very positive and I honestly beleived that Carolina had mishandled him. I think we've also mishandled him though but our expectations and enthusiasm should be curbed. He's only 20 though and I'm not about to write him off totally yet.

hbk is online now  
Old
02-06-2004, 03:02 AM
  #45
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
fair enough explanation on behalf of hbk stevex but my comments about McLeod and Knyazev were well documented on many occasions during the months of June and July. I didn't check to see if the archives go back that far but I'm sure CT could confirm this as it was mostly he that I was debating with. I know hbk was high on Knyazev as well and several Falcons fans have given their opinions so I need not say more on this topic.
Yes I was surprised not to see any specific comments as I do remember you being one of the more critical posters. There is a distinct difference however between making 'predictions of big things' and being high on someone. As you said, teams dont trade 1st rounders unless they're unhappy with their progress. Yet at the same time Knyazev was clearly one of the best defensemen of his age group so it would be foolish to give up so quickly.

How about a report on Redenbach? Its rare for you to like a prospect so Im intrigued.

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 04:14 AM
  #46
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
Seems to me you're the one doing the dodging. I was the one accused of being too negative yet when I asked anyone to post anything positive done by Phoenix toward the Falcons commencing with the 1999 season it has been met with no response.
Personally I think that's because everyone realises there's none so blind as those that shall not see. Many times I have pointed out to you unbiased assessments of the prospects and of the Springfield roster and every single time you have ignored it. Yet we're "dodging" you? I call hypocrisy.

I could name the impressive signing (at AHL level) of the Ferraro twins. Dont tell me this wasnt a positive move. This was mostly likely funded by exposing Todd Simpson in the waiver draft and losing him for nothing.

But you'll probably ignore that too. That is why I stopped responding to you. That and the continual child-like "making up facts" about the Coyotes fanbase. If you like, continue to think I am "dodging" you, but the real reason is because I have realised you have no interest in discussing anything that contradicts you. You have some ugly bitterness towards the organization and seem to have no ability to distinguish between attacking the management and anybody remotely connected to Phoenix, fans or otherwise.

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 08:33 AM
  #47
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor
 
scoob4093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield Ma.
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Personally I think that's because everyone realises there's none so blind as those that shall not see. Many times I have pointed out to you unbiased assessments of the prospects and of the Springfield roster and every single time you have ignored it. Yet we're "dodging" you? I call hypocrisy.

I could name the impressive signing (at AHL level) of the Ferraro twins. Dont tell me this wasnt a positive move. This was mostly likely funded by exposing Todd Simpson in the waiver draft and losing him for nothing.

But you'll probably ignore that too. That is why I stopped responding to you. That and the continual child-like "making up facts" about the Coyotes fanbase. If you like, continue to think I am "dodging" you, but the real reason is because I have realised you have no interest in discussing anything that contradicts you. You have some ugly bitterness towards the organization and seem to have no ability to distinguish between attacking the management and anybody remotely connected to Phoenix, fans or otherwise.

To set the record straight a chunk of the Ferraro's salary is being paid by the Falcons. This was disclosed at a season ticket holder function where Landon told the group Phoenix was not going to sign them as they were going with Philly to play for the Phantoms. Landon at that point went to his partners and they agreed to fork up a considerable sum to get the twins. In hindsight it hasn't worked out.

Regarding Simpson this seemed to be a pure cost cutting move to allow Spiller to take his spot. From what I read on another board there is a lengthy thread about him being "slow and overmatched" at the NHL level. Not sure about that but I think that most who post here would say he should be skating in the AHL

I have also noticed that Taffe and Sjostrom's ice time has dwindled to next to nothing. Whether they both belong in the NHL at this time or developing more fully in the A is an interesting question that I am sure would have a split of opinion on wouldn't you say ?

Just my opinion but I think that the main reason our owner terminated the affiliation agreement, with the Yotes concurrence, was his realization, based upon precedent, was that the better prospects Phoenix had would not be allowed to develop fully at the AHL level but due to financial and other considerations would be called up and "fed to the wolves" if you will, at the NHL level and the Falcons would always be left with the more marginal prospects for the majority of their schedule. If you look at the results of the last 5 seasons would you agree or disagree ?

I sincerely hope things turn out better for the Grizzlies than they turned out here. If the relaionship had continued here Landon would have lost a significant chunk of his season ticket base as a result of the poor play of the team 5 years and running. A fresh start was needed and is now a reality. We'll see how it turns out both here and in Salt Lake.


Last edited by scoob4093: 02-06-2004 at 08:46 AM.
scoob4093 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:08 AM
  #48
eye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the 49th para
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Yes I was surprised not to see any specific comments as I do remember you being one of the more critical posters. There is a distinct difference however between making 'predictions of big things' and being high on someone. As you said, teams dont trade 1st rounders unless they're unhappy with their progress. Yet at the same time Knyazev was clearly one of the best defensemen of his age group so it would be foolish to give up so quickly.

How about a report on Redenbach? Its rare for you to like a prospect so Im intrigued.
If you checked my archives you can confirm that I had him at the top of my list last summer. I saw him last year and was impressed by his vision, skill level, skating and the fact he had some mass behind his slighly height challenged frame. I've seen him a couple of times this year, once live and once on tv. He reminds me a little of a poor mans Joe Sakic. Likes to share the puck, has a good shot and gets it away quickly when needed. Definately makes you notice him when he is on the ice and for the first time in a long time I think the Yotes drafted a potential 1st line impact type player. It will take another 3-5 years but I like what I see of him. He did score 3 or 4 pts. when I saw him play against Saskatoon so he left a favourable impression with me.

eye is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 09:32 PM
  #49
ParisSaintGermain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,396
vCash: 500
It looks like the Falcons players had a point to prove tonight: a solid performance, and a win 4-0 against the Monarchs.
Pelletier get the SO, 31 saves. Kolanos got two assists and Chris Ferraro three points.

ParisSaintGermain is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.