HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Recent Man Crush

Old
03-18-2008, 11:02 AM
FiveHole23

vCash: 500
My Recent Man Crush

Aaron f-ing Rome..

First 10 seconds.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Rome is getting a serious look, Pencil him in for the top eight next season definitely... It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up the in the top 5-6 either...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:31 PM
LaCosta Nostra

I think he's only had 1 bad game since he's been called up. I think it was the second game after being called up. Other than that, he's been really solid. Much more poised than I thought he would be. Kind of like the situation Methot found himself in last year when 'our previous captain who shall remain nameless' was hurt.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
1 game with the Ducks 7 with us. I've not really focused on him much but will start tonight. One trade analysis said he and Wilson were mainly brought in for the Crunch. With Footes departure it does seem like Hitch is taking a serious look at the guy. Not a bad idea actually.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
FiveHole23

I was at the game the other night when Piss town came to the Nat. He was hitting people(rarity on our team) and seemed really comfortable in his own end. I think he played like close to 20 minutes that game. Which seems like alot from a recent call up.

I guess I will put it like this, when I noticed him it was because he was good.

Old
03-18-2008, 01:23 PM
CapnCornelius

I like Rome. 'Course, he was a former Cincy Duck, so that helps. Check out the guys stats everywhere he's been. Solid at both ends of the ice. Not a goal-scorer, but he does contribute offensively. Brings a physical aspect to the game. Definitely worth a look to see if he can raise his game to the NHL level. If it works, he'd be a more well-rounded version of OKT...which could make OKT a tradeable asset in the off-season.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

He's physical, but what suprises me is how calm he has been with the puck. More to come I hope.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I like Rome. 'Course, he was a former Cincy Duck, so that helps. Check out the guys stats everywhere he's been. Solid at both ends of the ice. Not a goal-scorer, but he does contribute offensively. Brings a physical aspect to the game. Definitely worth a look to see if he can raise his game to the NHL level. If it works, he'd be a more well-rounded version of OKT...which could make OKT a tradeable asset in the off-season.
I don't understand everyone always wanting to trade OKT. I would love to see Rome and OKT as a pair, that would keep people's heads on a swival! I would rather have those 2 than Hainsey.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Monk

I'm not a big fan of OKT's play... I feel like he makes a lot of mistakes that he shouldn't, and that he's pretty weak on the puck...

Plus he's really expendable, IMO.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I'm not a big fan of OKT's play... I feel like he makes a lot of mistakes that he shouldn't, and that he's pretty weak on the puck...

Plus he's really expendable, IMO.
I like OKT for his physical play but agree with you. A "good" team wouldn't have him as a part of their defensive core. He is weak on the puck, makes a lot of mistakes and trips over the blue line from time to time.

Before Boll's emergence this year I valued OKT more because he was one of the (few) physical players on the team. Svitov was another guy that I did respect for his physical play in a similar manner but he was a much more skilled player than OKT.

JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETS! on the PP View Post
I like OKT for his physical play but agree with you. A "good" team wouldn't have him as a part of their defensive core. He is weak on the puck, makes a lot of mistakes and trips over the blue line from time to time.

Before Boll's emergence this year I valued OKT more because he was one of the (few) physical players on the team. Svitov was another guy that I did respect for his physical play in a similar manner but he was a much more skilled player than OKT.
if only we had Svitov back in America.

Old
03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
if only we had Svitov back in America.
I get excited just thinking about him suiting back up in a CBJ sweater. He would have been awesome against a team like Calgary.

Old
03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETS! on the PP View Post

Boll is great but you need more toughness than just one player. Especially when you make the playoffs, there is scrums after almost every play in the playoffs and you need tough defensemen to clear the front of the net. As the Red Wings can attest, you can get beat in the playoffs by gritier teams. OKT needs some polishing but it's only his second year, we've given Klesla 6 years to develop and he's still not up to par yet, though much better lately.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
Boll is great but you need more toughness than just one player. Especially when you make the playoffs, there is scrums after almost every play in the playoffs and you need tough defensemen to clear the front of the net. As the Red Wings can attest, you can get beat in the playoffs by gritier teams. OKT needs some polishing but it's only his second year, we've given Klesla 6 years to develop and he's still not up to par yet, though much better lately.
I guess I just feel like Rome is an improved version of OKT, and Methot probably will be very soon (If not already? opinions?) ... so yeah, i love his toothy grin, but i would trade him in a heartbeat for a top goal-scorer of any position

And when it comes to toughness, I think we're more than covered... looked like even zherdev was close to getting in a fight tonight

Old
03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I don't understand everyone always wanting to trade OKT. I would love to see Rome and OKT as a pair, that would keep people's heads on a swival! I would rather have those 2 than Hainsey.

In limited play OKT is a -3 and has managed to rack up 111 penalty minutes. Quite a few of those penalties at inopportune times. He's got a whopping 4 points.

He's a one-dimensional player at this point.

Hainsey has done a better job in the offensive zone and his own end.

Look at the TOI stats. If Hitch thought OKT was the better defenseman, do you think he'd be playing Hainsey so much?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 09:47 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Rome and Methot are as good as if not better than OKT is, IMO.

Old
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Pucknacious

Nice bit in the local rag this morning about Rome coming to Boll's aid after the cheap shot in the final minute, last night.

Yet another under-the-radar move from Howson that just keeps looking better.

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Monk

I was so happy to see Rome do that - literally brought a smile to my face

Old
03-19-2008, 11:18 AM
cincyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknacious View Post
Nice bit in the local rag this morning about Rome coming to Boll's aid after the cheap shot in the final minute, last night.

Yet another under-the-radar move from Howson that just keeps looking better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I was so happy to see Rome do that - literally brought a smile to my face
thats the kind of play we need!!

rome is definately making the best of his opportunity

cincyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Rome played a solid game last night, no mistakes that I could tell. Tonights game will be another good test for him. We gave up 3 goals vs Detroit Sunday and just hung on long enough to win. The defense must play it's best hockey of the season to win tonights game, Rome, along with the others will all be tested. If we give up 46 shots again I doubt we can win.

Old
03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Rome played a solid game last night, no mistakes that I could tell. Tonights game will be another good test for him. We gave up 3 goals vs Detroit Sunday and just hung on long enough to win. The defense must play it's best hockey of the season to win tonights game, Rome, along with the others will all be tested. If we give up 46 shots again I doubt we can win.
I was really hoping you would post today. You seem to know whats up in most of your post, glad to see you agree with me.

Old
03-19-2008, 04:37 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Rome is looking good folks.... Platt has played 5 games with Anaheim this season so far and has no points. We got a 2 young defenseman for him, and Rome looks to be a solid top six in the nhl....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:30 PM
213 Sentinel

I respect the Rome man-crush, but I'm secure in my monogamy with Jared Boll.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
I was really hoping you would post today. You seem to know whats up in most of your post, glad to see you agree with me.

The one nice thing about Rome is that number 44, can't miss the dude. He was solid again tonight. Lets keep an eye on him.

Old
03-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Rome is looking good folks.... Platt has played 5 games with Anaheim this season so far and has no points. We got a 2 young defenseman for him, and Rome looks to be a solid top six in the nhl....

To be fair, Platt has gotten 50 minutes TOTAL ICE TIME all season in Anaheim(no AHL time at all). They aren't using him. I feel bad for the guy, he loves to play the game and I bet the folks in Syracuse would like to have it right now. He's been tucked in the trunk like a spare tire in Anaheim.

That being said, Rome is doing a great job up here.