HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Gretzky vs. Jordan

Old
03-18-2008, 04:45 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

vCash: 500
Gretzky vs. Jordan

Its a hot debate i've been having with my friends and family

who do u think was more dominant at their sport?
Wayne Gretzky or Michael Jordan?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Gretz.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:14 PM
the_speedster

gretzky.... mike was the better marketed player. He is however the only player in any other sport that comes close to the great one's utter dominance

cue: gretzky haters just getting back from their jobs at the seven-eleven

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Dark Shadows

Gretzky

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
asdf

It's a toss up, but I give the nod to Jordan, barely.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 05:45 PM
sparr0w

Gretzky was by far the better player in their respective sports.

That said, within the framework of basketball and the fact that star players rarely if ever get off the court and that teams use maybe 8-10 players as opposed to 20 each game Jordan was able to dominate games more directly and thus bring the Bulls to greater team success than Wayne was.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:41 PM
John Flyers Fan

Gretzky was a better hockey player than Jordan was a basketball player.

A great basketball player will dominate more than a great hockey player.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
ushvinder

you can argue that prime for prime mario was better than wayne. Which basketball player was better than jordan? Wilt 'ballhog' chamberlain, i dont think so.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
John Flyers Fan

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
ushvinder

Another thing, gretzky had guys like messier and kurri. It was proven that without jordan, scottie pippen isnt much at all. Jordan's bulls were much weaker in depth than gretzky's oilers, yet they still won 6 championships.

Old
03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Big Phil

You got to give it to Gretzky. Did Jordan have a streak like '80-87? Only perhaps Babe Ruth dominated his sport like that. Jordan would be 3rd maybe but not ahead of Gretzky. He was dominant but he didnt win 8 straight MVPs either. Jordan did however prove that he was the reason that the Bulls won. Look at his abscence from 93-94. He leaves after winning three in a row, and comes back to win another three. Now that's dominance but he wasnt head and shoulders to the exten that Gretzky was

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Big Phil

You got to give it to Gretzky. Did Jordan have a streak like '80-87? Only perhaps Babe Ruth dominated his sport like that. Jordan would be 3rd maybe but not ahead of Gretzky. He was dominant but he didnt win 8 straight MVPs either. Jordan did however prove that he was the reason that the Bulls won. Look at his abscence from 93-94. He leaves after winning three in a row, and comes back to win another three. Now that's dominance but he wasnt head and shoulders to the extent that Gretzky was

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:25 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
Another thing, gretzky had guys like messier and kurri. It was proven that without jordan, scottie pippen isnt much at all. Jordan's bulls were much weaker in depth than gretzky's oilers, yet they still won 6 championships.
Pippen... one of the best defensive players in his Prime.. Rodman.. one of the best if not the best rebounder in his prime... it's not like the bulls were a weak team. Kerr... and another guy.. I forget his name... Bulls had an awesome starting lineup.

backs4mvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Killer Sharkz

It will be hard to find that dominated a sport the way Gretz did. Many of his records beat the second place guy by a ton, and for the most case it is not that way with Jordan. (Of course Jordan had a couple of encores and if he would have stayed in the league for those years, than most of his records would probably look like Gretzs'. But that is his own fault.) I think the closest player to Gretz in terms of dominating the entire sport is Babe Ruth who was hitting more home runs than many teams, when homers were not hit at a pace anywhere near what they are today. Or even in the past few years Barry Bonds was just dominating the sport of baseball. Jordan was clutch and I don't know if I would want anyone else in any sport on my team when it comes to the final game. He would always find a way to win the big games. So when it comes to the final game in a finals, or series, super bowl or whatever I would want Jordan. But for a season, or to build a team around I would take Gretz.

Killer Sharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:29 PM
ushvinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You got to give it to Gretzky. Did Jordan have a streak like '80-87? Only perhaps Babe Ruth dominated his sport like that. Jordan would be 3rd maybe but not ahead of Gretzky. He was dominant but he didnt win 8 straight MVPs either. Jordan did however prove that he was the reason that the Bulls won. Look at his abscence from 93-94. He leaves after winning three in a row, and comes back to win another three. Now that's dominance but he wasnt head and shoulders to the extent that Gretzky was
well personally i feel that malone and barkely were given mvp awards because they just didnt want to give it to jordan every year.

Old
03-18-2008, 08:55 PM
88Bottles

Basketball is a much easier sport to dominate as a team and as an individual.

The sport isn't nearly as physical as hockey therefore Jordan had lots more room and time to do whatever he wanted to with the basketball.

And everyone knows that it's a hell of a lot easier to shoot a basketball through a net than it is to score a tiny puck past a goaltender and into a net.

The demands of a hockey player are far greater than a basketball player, therefore Gretzky's achievements should be looked at on a higher level than Michael Jordan's....and that's why I can safely say that both guys dominated, but because of the grind of playing hockey for 20 years, Gretzky wasn't able to dominate for as long as Michael Jordan....but then again, Gretzky didn't take time off to go play baseball or retire 3 times to rest his body.

88Bottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 08:56 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

This to me sums it up perfectly.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:06 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
you can argue that prime for prime mario was better than wayne. Which basketball player was better than jordan? Wilt 'ballhog' chamberlain, i dont think so.
whaa? okay rookies should not be allowed into serious gretz debates anymore!

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Bottles View Post
The demands of a hockey player are far greater than a basketball player, therefore Gretzky's achievements should be looked at on a higher level than Michael Jordan's.
What does that have to do with anything? Jordan chose basketball as his sport and was incredibly dominant at it. The fact that it isn't as physically demanding as hockey doesn't make it any easier to dominate your peers.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
whaa? okay rookies should not be allowed into serious gretz debates anymore!
Many arguments can be made about whether Mario at his peak was better than Wayne. Mario was already best in the world at 23 when Wayne was 27, still in his physical prime. Of course there's a score of arguments for Wayne being better as well, but if you can't recognize that both sides have valid points then perhaps you're the one who shouldn't be "allowed into serious debates."

Oh and cute 7/11 joke. I'm sure a lot of people also appreciated your "there are only 3 Nordiques fans" post in the other topic as well.

My 2 cents.

Masao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:33 PM
88Bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Jordan chose basketball as his sport and was incredibly dominant at it. The fact that it isn't as physically demanding as hockey doesn't make it any easier to dominate your peers.
Yes it is! You think that being President of the United States is just as easy as being the President of Malta?

Of course they chose their sports, but certain sports have higher levels of difficulty, for example, I think it is much harder to dominate baseball as a hitter or pitcher than any other sport.

Oh, and Magic Johnson was better in his prime than Michael Jordan.

Old
03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Wooty

Basketball is very demanding on your body and most players are playing in constant pain.

The greatest clutch player in the NBA was Kareem. He could catch his pass, hit is shot or hit is free throws.

Gretzky is better then MJ but I am not a big MJ fan. I think he played in a dead period. I too am a Magic/Larry guy.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
88Bottles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
Basketball is very demanding on your body and most players are playing in constant pain.

The greatest clutch player in the NBA was Kareem. He could catch his pass, hit is shot or hit is free throws.

Gretzky is better then MJ but I am not a big MJ fan. I think he played in a dead period. I too am a Magic/Larry guy.
I agree, it is very demanding, all sports are, but I was merely stating my opinion that hockey takes much more of a toll on one's body than basketball. The NBA playoffs are nowhere near the physical calibre as NHL playoffs and with all those timeouts and player subsitutions during one game, basketball players have a lot more time to rest.

Old
03-18-2008, 10:06 PM
ushvinder

Basketball is alot harder to get into, if youre not 6'4, your chances of making it are slim to none.

Old
03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
88Bottles

Quote:
Basketball is alot harder to get into, if youre not 6'4, your chances of making it are slim to none.
It's also pretty easy to get into if you're that tall, especially easy if you are over 7 feet! lol