HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Prucha...

Old
03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Rags225

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoA View Post
I don't see a reason in trading him. We'll need him for next season for sure if players like Straka & Shanny leave/retire.. And plus, come playoff time, we really don't need a prescense like Orr on the ice for the simple fact that there's a lack of fights in postseason hockey. Place Prucha on that 4th line, and think of Sjostrom, Betts, Prucha. Two really physical players in Betts/Sjostrom and a fast player like Prucha might contribute some more goals from the 4th line.
need him for What? To turn over the puck. To be flattened every play. To not create any offense on his own. Plain and simple I think we would be lucky to get a 4th rounder for him. he had one great year, one good year, and will probably not be heard from ever again. He overachieved his first two seasons, and was a beneficiary of a red hot Jagr. I like him and all but I'm just trying to be realistic. He is an overpaid utility player who doesn't have any true role and wouldn't be surprised if he was out of the NHL completely w/in the next 3 yrs. He just isn't that good.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Paulie Walnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
I think, for the playoffs at least, Prucha should be put with Sjostrom and Betts. I like Orr, but in the playoffs a fourth line scoring threat is a good thing to have. Sjostrom is producing now, I think with Prucha they will both produce more.

Of course if the need arises by all means put Orr back in.
In last nights game, Orr caused a turnover with a big hit that led to Sjostrom getting his game winner. No Way that woulda happened with Prucha on that line. Sorry, but adding Prucha to the 4th line makes it very soft...and that is not what you want from a 4th line, especially in the playoffs. The fouth line has to be hard nosed checkers, and play a defensive role rather than an offensive one. Orr will stay on the 4th line, right thru the playoffs.

Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
In last nights game, Orr caused a turnover with a big hit that led to Sjostrom getting his game winner. No Way that woulda happened with Prucha on that line. Sorry, but adding Prucha to the 4th line makes it very soft...and that is not what you want from a 4th line, especially in the playoffs. The fouth line has to be hard nosed checkers, and play a defensive role rather than an offensive one. Orr will stay on the 4th line, right thru the playoffs.
I concur. Prucha doesn't add anything for this team. Actually inserting him and taking out somebody else would make this team worse. People really need to stop w/ the love affair.

Old
03-19-2008, 09:47 AM
HAPPY HOUR

What fool of a GM would give up a second rounder for a player who has had a continous regression in scoring over his 3 year career?

Some of you guys may want to dump Petrs' woes solely on the coach, but I'm sure most if not all GMs will see Pruchas for what he is...... A sniper who hasn't sniped in over 70 games going back to last season.

I'm sure some of you guys remember his disappearing act in last years playoffs....right??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 09:47 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He can replace any of those guys in so much he has a jersey and a pair of skates. But to think he's going replace them in production is an awfully ambitious thought.

Look at Prucha for what he is not what he was or what we might hope he might be.
If he put some size onto his frame he could probably replace Straka. Jagr & Shanahan... not a chance.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
If he put some size onto his frame he could probably replace Straka. Jagr & Shanahan... not a chance.
I'm not sure he can. Straka is 35. He's had some injury issues this season. And he's still on pace for about 40 points. I would be very surprised if Prucha sniffs 40 points again.

03-19-2008, 10:22 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not sure he can. Straka is 35. He's had some injury issues this season. And he's still on pace for about 40 points. I would be very surprised if Prucha sniffs 40 points again.
It all depends. Don't forget how offensively challenged the team was from September until February. So you could give him a little bit of a break there, but it still isn't an excuse for the numbers that he put up. If he got 25 points in 56 games I would have been much more happy than the 17 he got.

However, I think his biggest weakness at this point is his size. So I would hope that if he put some size on he could be a better player or at the very worst someone who plays how Sjostrom is right now.

I would say to give him another chance and if he 1) Doesn't bulk up in the summer 2) Doesn't look good come camp/preseason trade him away

Old
03-19-2008, 10:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It all depends. Don't forget how offensively challenged the team was from September until February. So you could give him a little bit of a break there, but it still isn't an excuse for the numbers that he put up. If he got 25 points in 56 games I would have been much more happy than the 17 he got.

However, I think his biggest weakness at this point is his size. So I would hope that if he put some size on he could be a better player or at the very worst someone who plays how Sjostrom is right now.

I would say to give him another chance and if he 1) Doesn't bulk up in the summer 2) Doesn't look good come camp/preseason trade him away
He biggest problem is there are players in the organization catching up to him. He's already been passed by Dawes and Callahan. Now guys like Moore, Korpikoski, Byers, Bourret, Anisimov and possibly Jessiman and Dupont are almost ready to make the step to the next level. And there are guys on that list who might be better suited to play on the third or fourth line than Prucha is. And I don't see anyway Prucha takes a spot as one of the top four wingers.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Fletch

Prucha needs a change of scenery...

he shouldn't be playing under Renney. Renney's showed no confidence in him since day 1, even when he was playing well and others were not. I'm not blaming Prucha's downfall on Renney (Prucha was decent on the other end of the ice and at one time was one of the team's biggest pluses - not bad for a third liner playing limited minutes), but the mix of Renney and Prucha obviously do not mix. I'm sure there's a team on which Prucha would fit well and do well, and that's what I hope gets done.

On another note - it's not fair to compare Straka with Prucha. Straka's played in 1030 minutes this season compared to Prucha's 667 - including almost 80 more minutes on the PP. Prucha has four less PP minutes while being on the first unit for about 10 games this season and on the second, at the time seldom-used, unit for the rest of his minutes. Straka's, for me, has been a huge disappointment this season, partially a result of injuries, but also he had trouble getting it going on the top line this season. I'd love to see him back, but at the same time, the Rangers are getting more points out of Avery than him now and he's really now a third liner and I'd hope this team could find a third liner for less than $3MM+.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoA View Post
Place Prucha on that 4th line, and think of Sjostrom, Betts, Prucha. Two really physical players in Betts/Sjostrom and a fast player like Prucha might contribute some more goals from the 4th line.

I already said that in a thread weeks ago - good to see I'm not the only one thinking along those lines.

pardon the pun lol

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
That line would be fast, but not physical enough. You need both wingers to be able to forecheck hard like Orr and Sjostrom did last night.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Fletch

As a fourth line...

that's interesting, but I dunno. Reality is that Renney wouldn't sit Orr over Prucha, so it should start and end there. And thinking it through, that's not a bad decision. Putting Prucha in over Orr in the playoffs may not be a bad decision either, although Prucha and Betts have shown zero chemistry in the 30 or so games in which they've played together over the last three seasons (I think they have combined for zero goals). So I'm not sure why that would change unless Prucha would have chemistry with Sjostrom. But if the fourth line is going to get 5 minutes of ice time in the playoffs - there's less of a chance for goals from the fourth line and Orr likely would be more effective.

Old
03-19-2008, 10:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that's interesting, but I dunno. Reality is that Renney wouldn't sit Orr over Prucha, so it should start and end there. And thinking it through, that's not a bad decision. Putting Prucha in over Orr in the playoffs may not be a bad decision either, although Prucha and Betts have shown zero chemistry in the 30 or so games in which they've played together over the last three seasons (I think they have combined for zero goals). So I'm not sure why that would change unless Prucha would have chemistry with Sjostrom. But if the fourth line is going to get 5 minutes of ice time in the playoffs - there's less of a chance for goals from the fourth line and Orr likely would be more effective.
A forecheck needs to have a physical element to it Fletch. Something to at least give the opposing defensemen something to think about. I don't think Petr Prucha does that. Orr or Hollweg do.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Fletch

I don't totally disagree, but...

I do kind of...

Not sure I can explain with a fried brain, but will try...

On the forecheck you try to create turnovers which would create chances. Betts' line does that pretty well by being physical and making defensemen think, but the end result is not goals. The end result isn't something bad which is a team that doesn't have a sustained attack against the Rangers. If Betts and Sjostrom worked hard down low on the forecheck, being physical and all, the thinking would be that an offensive-oriented player would be able to realize the fruits of those labors by actually converting those chances on more occasions than the current group does. We can debate if Prucha can do that, but that's the thinking. Further, the forecheck can be effective with one member not being physical if that member is smart - getting to the boards to stop clearing attempts and clogging up the middle for errant passes. Having one guy high who is kind of quick and can read the play isn't bad either.

I wanted to clear the concept without going into Prucha's abilities on the forecheck.

Old
03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Unless something changes dramatically, he's done in New York. He can't crack this lineup. I expect the lineup next year will be as good or better. If Straka, Shanahan and Jagr all retired (not happening) then Cherapanov, other (bigger) prospects and some free agents will fill their spots and Sjostrom will be getting a larger role. I hope the Rangers can get good value for Prucha -- he needs a different team.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Unless something changes dramatically, he's done in New York. He can't crack this lineup. I expect the lineup next year will be as good or better. If Straka, Shanahan and Jagr all retired (not happening) then Cherapanov, other (bigger) prospects and some free agents will fill their spots and Sjostrom will be getting a larger role. I hope the Rangers can get good value for Prucha -- he needs a different team.
thats the thing....people want to keep him around for next year but there will be younger players who can do what he does and more....plus sjostrom shoul dmove up on the lines.....he has played 4th line all year and has more points than prucha

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 02:42 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
thats the thing....people want to keep him around for next year but there will be younger players who can do what he does and more....plus sjostrom shoul dmove up on the lines.....he has played 4th line all year and has more points than prucha
Sjostrom was averaging 13:33 per game of ice time in Phoenix and had 19 points in 51 games (691.05 minutes).

Prucha averaged 11:54 in 56 games (666.4 minutes) with 17 points.

I'd say they are fairly even in that respect.

Old
03-19-2008, 02:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Sjostrom was averaging 13:33 per game of ice time in Phoenix and had 19 points in 51 games (691.05 minutes).

ice time does not = quality minutes.....sjostrom killed penalties....he played on the 4th line a lot whereas prucha did not.....i would rather have the more complete player

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Rags225

Quote:

Prucha has played w/ much better players than Sjostrom. That makes a huge difference.

Old
03-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Fletch

Singn'...

as a follow-up to my early post, as I re-read the post I think it came across as a lesson moreso than an opinion on why you don't always need three phsyical guys on a forecheck. Just wanted to clarify that...

Old
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

Phoenix is a classic top 6 forward type of team. Sjostrom had an opportunity to play on the top two lines there but he didn't score consistently. He does kill penalties, play better defense than Prucha and he is about twice as big. He seems to fit perfectly on this team that distributes the forwards ice time more evenly and could easily project as a top 9forward. His versatility and talent is helping keep Prucha (and Hollweg) out of the lineup. I felt all along that the trade was Montoya for Sjostrom and Hossa for LeNeveu. So far, so good.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote