HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

New Open League

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2008, 03:20 AM
  #1
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
New Open League

There's been several new articles in SE lately that indicate that things are moving. More info now

http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?152360
http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?152262

Thoughts?

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 04:58 AM
  #2
Muscle Bob
Registered User
 
Muscle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
That's good for Russia As I see, very serious persons stay behind this, I think that hockey in Russia will jump into a higher level with this league.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 06:11 AM
  #3
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
I think the opposite, it's some sort of a scheme...I was pro in the beginning, but now, not so much

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 07:10 AM
  #4
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
I think the cap could be about 5 mil higher. The club's part in the revenues (25%) is too low as well.

What seems to be granted is that this will start in the format, when and how the "organizers" want it with FHR having no say and the clubs more or less automatically jumping over.

Ideally: 4 divisions with the 3 (Siberia+Urals,Volga,Center) naturally filled out by Russian teams + 1 Kazakh. The 4-th ideally shoud look something like: Ska+Severstal+Minsk+Riga+a Slovak team+a German team+Jokerit (ideally)

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
  #5
Pushkin*
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
This will never work. Especially with the new hockey Champions League. The CL is a far better idea and the Russian league within 5 years will have all the best european players playing in europe available(outside of nhl players) and many 2rd 3rd liners from nhl might come back to Russian league and play in Champions League.

Pushkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 11:27 PM
  #6
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I heard that some of the top czech teams might join. Also, I don;t follow them, but I know that Minsk and Riga are top teams in their respective countries, but can they really compete with the super powers of Russia - same for the German team.
Also, are there any details on this new junior league (ie. Age limit)?

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 03:31 AM
  #7
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I heard that some of the top czech teams might join.
Could you give a reference?

Quote:
Also, I don;t follow them, but I know that Minsk and Riga are top teams in their respective countries, but can they really compete with the super powers of Russia - same for the German team.
Well, if their budgets start from 10 mil, they can buy whoever they want. If simply all "Belorussians" from the RSL move to Minsk - that will be already a team to beat. Given money, they can buy Czechs and Slovaks in quantaties. The notion of "team building" is all but gone in the modern RSL (see Salavat). The important thing is interest and arenas, which are good in both cities.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 06:12 PM
  #8
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25
 
ViD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blue Jackets Area
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,294
vCash: 520
Any european team which desires to join has to have at least $10m of payroll. How many teams outside Russia can afford it? I am not sure if there any. The only way to get foreign teams is to give them "wild cards" just to increase the reputation of the league because if there would be only Russian teams, I dont think it would produce any big income.
But again, who wants to watch Belorussian and Kazakh teams except their fans? Austrian teams? The same. Swedes and Finns are doubtful. Germans are a good idea. They have nice and big arenas and I believe they are interested in joining this league. May be a team from Switzerland would be nice too.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
  #9
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
This would give much more credibility to this league

http://news.sport-express.ru/online/.../nl218239.html

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:49 PM
  #10
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Any european team which desires to join has to have at least $10m of payroll. How many teams outside Russia can afford it? I am not sure if there any. The only way to get foreign teams is to give them "wild cards" just to increase the reputation of the league because if there would be only Russian teams, I dont think it would produce any big income.
But again, who wants to watch Belorussian and Kazakh teams except their fans? Austrian teams? The same. Swedes and Finns are doubtful. Germans are a good idea. They have nice and big arenas and I believe they are interested in joining this league. May be a team from Switzerland would be nice too.
I think the idea is for the best teams from europe to join this league, and it might happen if a team from finland per say... is competetive in the league. It will generate interest in other finish clubs. If good clubs from other leagues see teams from their leagues being successfull, it will give incentive to join the league. I think if this is successfull, in the long term, it will become a euro all-star league with only the best teams from around europe. Imagine spengler cup brand hockey with about 20-30 teams.

I heard Pierre Mcguire (I know he's an idiot, i hate him too - however, when he says things they are usually factual) Parbudice and Sparta are two Czech teams that he mentioned were considering the league.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 06:59 PM
  #11
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
Time adfter time Larionov's interviews convince me that he has turned into an uptight arrogant ass****

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 07:43 PM
  #12
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Any european team which desires to join has to have at least $10m of payroll. How many teams outside Russia can afford it? I am not sure if there any.
Since there is no official numbers in the SEL I can't tell for sure, but Färjestad and Frölunda are the closest. One poster on this forum gave a number just over $10 million USD for Frölunda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
The only way to get foreign teams is to give them "wild cards" just to increase the reputation of the league because if there would be only Russian teams
I think the leagues reputation, especially in North America would rise if more then just Russian and eastern European teams were involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Swedes and Finns are doubtful. Germans are a good idea. They have nice and big arenas and I believe they are interested in joining this league. May be a team from Switzerland would be nice too.
I only speak for my self but I love the idea, and hope that it works since it's good for hockey.

KRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:39 AM
  #13
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,935
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
This will never work. Especially with the new hockey Champions League. The CL is a far better idea and the Russian league within 5 years will have all the best european players playing in europe available(outside of nhl players) and many 2rd 3rd liners from nhl might come back to Russian league and play in Champions League.
Unless living conditions and team management attitudes change, I don't see the best (as in not goood enough for NHL) Finns or Swedes playing in this league.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 05:37 PM
  #14
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Unless living conditions
Usually the players that arrive to the RSL are provided with the living conditions that are quite better than what they had in Sweden or Finland from what I understand.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:01 PM
  #15
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,935
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Usually the players that arrive to the RSL are provided with the living conditions that are quite better than what they had in Sweden or Finland from what I understand.
I meant outside of their homes, as in security wise. The Finns who've played or are playing there right now didn't dare to bring their families over.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:02 PM
  #16
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25
 
ViD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blue Jackets Area
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,294
vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Usually the players that arrive to the RSL are provided with the living conditions that are quite better than what they had in Sweden or Finland from what I understand.
Well, from what I read from NHL players who player in Russia during lockout, some said that they had nice conditions, some didnt. But the main concern was arenas. At that time, there were only 4-5 good arenas, right now almost every team in the RSL has a new arena with the capacity of 7-10k.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:19 PM
  #17
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Well, from what I read from NHL players who player in Russia during lockout, some said that they had nice conditions, some didnt. But the main concern was arenas. At that time, there were only 4-5 good arenas, right now almost every team in the RSL has a new arena with the capacity of 7-10k.
There were also complaints about shoddy hotels, I, though, think that now only Nizhnekamsk must be a place to avoid.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 05:42 AM
  #18
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,935
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Well, from what I read from NHL players who player in Russia during lockout, some said that they had nice conditions, some didnt. But the main concern was arenas. At that time, there were only 4-5 good arenas, right now almost every team in the RSL has a new arena with the capacity of 7-10k.
The biggest complaint, and this is from Dmitri Jushkevich, is the treatment of the players form team management. Direct quote (tranlated from Finnish) from a story on Finnish hockey mag Jääkiekkolehti:

"The game has changed tremendously. There's cheerleaders and fancy new arenas but the core issue from the players point of view remains. You're treated like dirt."

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:49 AM
  #19
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
The biggest complaint, and this is from Dmitri Jushkevich, is the treatment of the players form team management. Direct quote (tranlated from Finnish) from a story on Finnish hockey mag Jääkiekkolehti:

"The game has changed tremendously. There's cheerleaders and fancy new arenas but the core issue from the players point of view remains. You're treated like dirt."

I would be surprised if the new wave coaches do that. In fact there's a massive body of interviews about Bykov et al which say directly opposite. But I can easily see how Mikhailov and Co can do that. In his latest interview in Sport-Express Yushkevich says (without refernces to "dirt" though) that his biggest dissapointment in the RSL has been old school coaches "who has not learned anything new but forgot the old useful stuff" or something like that. I can't see Bykov, Khomutov, Yurzinov Jr, Nazarov do that, not to mention Smith, Vujtek, Rzhiga and Heikilla. And on the other hand Mikhailov, Mihalev, especially Vorobiev are known for that. But, common, there's a bunch of NHL coaches that treat theit players like "dirt". Statements like that by ex NHLers should be taken with a grain of salt, as, especially in the past, they tend to arrive expecting a primadona status, out of a sudden forgetting about all the rap they are given in the NHL.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 02:14 PM
  #20
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 43,935
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
I would be surprised if the new wave coaches do that. In fact there's a massive body of interviews about Bykov et al which say directly opposite. But I can easily see how Mikhailov and Co can do that. In his latest interview in Sport-Express Yushkevich says (without refernces to "dirt" though) that his biggest dissapointment in the RSL has been old school coaches "who has not learned anything new but forgot the old useful stuff" or something like that. I can't see Bykov, Khomutov, Yurzinov Jr, Nazarov do that, not to mention Smith, Vujtek, Rzhiga and Heikilla. And on the other hand Mikhailov, Mihalev, especially Vorobiev are known for that. But, common, there's a bunch of NHL coaches that treat theit players like "dirt". Statements like that by ex NHLers should be taken with a grain of salt, as, especially in the past, they tend to arrive expecting a primadona status, out of a sudden forgetting about all the rap they are given in the NHL.
I think Yushkevich was also referring to the fact that players can be fired practically on the spot for no apparent reason, ie. no job security. Also the Finnish players in the said article said tthe basa culture is still alive and well, meaning that before a game the players move into a complex and sleep in baracks. Correction, that was mentioned by Michael Garnett. He said that it was like living in a boarding school.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 06:47 PM
  #21
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I think Yushkevich was also referring to the fact that players can be fired practically on the spot for no apparent reason, ie. no job security.
This is mostly true. But most contracts are made so that the team pays some penalty to the player for doing this.

Quote:
Also the Finnish players in the said article said tthe basa culture is still alive and well, meaning that before a game the players move into a complex and sleep in baracks. Correction, that was mentioned by Michael Garnett. He said that it was like living in a boarding school.
It's alive, but not well. I think many if not most teams are not using this anymore.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 10:04 PM
  #22
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
Wow, there a whole bunch of new info in SE. The league seems to be a done deal.

A dumb copy of the NHL, the most stupid idea is draft, IMHO

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 11:06 PM
  #23
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25
 
ViD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blue Jackets Area
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,294
vCash: 520
NHL is the best hockey product ever and it is not DUMB to copy the best.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 12:34 AM
  #24
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
NHL is the best hockey product ever and it is not DUMB to copy the best.
As dumb as driving a Lamborghini on a Kolyma_Highway or growing tobacco in Podmoskovie.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
  #25
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 500
According to SE this creature will be called the Continental Hockey League: CHL Pretty lame IMHO

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.