HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Ullstrom - Big Swedish forward

Old
03-19-2008, 08:46 AM
B Boarding

vCash: 500
David Ullstrom - Big Swedish forward

If there's one thing that Detroit might be in need of for the future, it's big scoring line forwards. Dick Axelsson will probably arrive in 2009 and I'm confident that be will be great. But here's another big Swedish forward to keep your eyes on - David Ullstrom of HV71. He mainly plays for the J20 team but will likely play for the SEL team next season. He has arguably been the best player in the whole J20 league this year.
Hakan Andersson has probably scouted this guy already and he's the best scout there is. I think that there is a possibility that he wants Detroit to take a chance on him in one of the middle rounds of the draft. He is a high risk high reward type of player.

David Ullstrom is born 1989 and was a 2007 eligible player that to my surprise didn't get picked. He's 6-4 and 198 lbs but those numbers might be old. He looks like being close to 210 lbs. He plays C but can also play winger without any problem. He's positives is his powerful skating stride, strong body and flashy technical skills. He can beat a defender in every possible way, even with just muscling through the defense. He also has a good shot. The downside of his play is that he sometimes try to do too much with the puck and can be a puck hog. He also needs to use his line mates better and work harder on his back checking. But that's things that can be taught. He's also is somewhat inconsistent.

I have been watching him live several times this year and I've been very impressed with his skill set. He kind of reminds me of a young Sundin, Jagr and Blues 1-year older prospect Patrik Berglund.

Here's a link with some stats:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=6913&lang=en

Let's hope Hakan picks him!

B Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Oh gee, thanks. Now the Canucks will swoop in and steal him from under Detroit's nose too.

Old
03-19-2008, 09:24 AM
B Boarding

Yes definitely. I'm the greatest scout ever, NOT Hakan...:-)

B Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Boarding View Post
Yes definitely. I'm the greatest scout ever, NOT Hakan...:-)

I was being serious. Alexander Edler was playing for a third tier team in Ostersund. Hakan got a whiff that he might be worth a look so he made the long and treacherous journey to Ostersund to see him. He liked what the saw, but then he said he got lazy and instead of just going out to see him a second time, he called the coach to make sure that Edler would be in action.

Well..... you think the coach got a bit excited knowing that one of the best scouts in the world, who also happens to work for one of the best franchises in the world, said he was coming to see a 3rd tier league guy? Next thing you know, the agent knows and the agent starts beating around to see if he could increase interest in his client-- since there was no guarantee the Wings indeed would draft him. Heaton (one of our posters) may have the link to the news article, but it details how hard the Canucks tried to move ahead of the Wings draft position to pick Edler. Which they accomplished by getting 2-3 spots ahead of the Wings (#90 or 91 if I recall the details).

Andersson knew what was up when they moved ahead on draft day and blamed himself for letting his interest become somewhat public. I won't laugh if Edler turns into something great, but for the moment I got a chuckle out of the fact that the mere hint of Andersson's interest was enough for the Canucks to realign the planets, so-to-speak. Thieves.

Old
03-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
i did not know that they were interested in Edler. Wow. Hakan is surely something else.

Btw, Detroit also was interested in LA pick and Russian Konstantin Pushkarev a few years ago at his draft and wasnt able to move down, and either LA heard about this and moved down quick to get him or they used their pick to snag him, i dont remember which.

Sad thing is hes struggled in two organizations now, but maybe he'll get a chance next year in Dallas or with his third organization. Anyway, Hakan is the man! How old is he BTW?

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I was being serious. Alexander Edler was playing for a third tier team in Ostersund. Hakan got a whiff that he might be worth a look so he made the long and treacherous journey to Ostersund to see him. He liked what the saw, but then he said he got lazy and instead of just going out to see him a second time, he called the coach to make sure that Edler would be in action.

Well..... you think the coach got a bit excited knowing that one of the best scouts in the world, who also happens to work for one of the best franchises in the world, said he was coming to see a 3rd tier league guy? Next thing you know, the agent knows and the agent starts beating around to see if he could increase interest in his client-- since there was no guarantee the Wings indeed would draft him. Heaton (one of our posters) may have the link to the news article, but it details how hard the Canucks tried to move ahead of the Wings draft position to pick Edler. Which they accomplished by getting 2-3 spots ahead of the Wings (#90 or 91 if I recall the details).

Andersson knew what was up when they moved ahead on draft day and blamed himself for letting his interest become somewhat public. I won't laugh if Edler turns into something great, but for the moment I got a chuckle out of the fact that the mere hint of Andersson's interest was enough for the Canucks to realign the planets, so-to-speak. Thieves.
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=264254

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Thanks, FF.

Old
03-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Boarding View Post
If there's one thing that Detroit might be in need of for the future, it's big scoring line forwards. Dick Axelsson will probably arrive in 2009 and I'm confident that be will be great. But here's another big Swedish forward to keep your eyes on - David Ullstrom of HV71. He mainly plays for the J20 team but will likely play for the SEL team next season. He has arguably been the best player in the whole J20 league this year.
Hakan Andersson has probably scouted this guy already and he's the best scout there is. I think that there is a possibility that he wants Detroit to take a chance on him in one of the middle rounds of the draft. He is a high risk high reward type of player.

David Ullstrom is born 1989 and was a 2007 eligible player that to my surprise didn't get picked. He's 6-4 and 198 lbs but those numbers might be old. He looks like being close to 210 lbs. He plays C but can also play winger without any problem. He's positives is his powerful skating stride, strong body and flashy technical skills. He can beat a defender in every possible way, even with just muscling through the defense. He also has a good shot. The downside of his play is that he sometimes try to do too much with the puck and can be a puck hog. He also needs to use his line mates better and work harder on his back checking. But that's things that can be taught. He's also is somewhat inconsistent.

I have been watching him live several times this year and I've been very impressed with his skill set. He kind of reminds me of a young Sundin, Jagr and Blues 1-year older prospect Patrik Berglund.

Here's a link with some stats:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player...r=6913&lang=en

Let's hope Hakan picks him!
Yeah, I wrote about him in 2008 draft thread already. Really intresting project.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Henkka

Sorry about raising this very old topic. But I was just searching info about Ullström and wanted to answer these questions about Håkan Andersson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Hakan is the man! How old is he BTW?
He is 47 years old. Same aged as Steve Yzerman.

I think we haven't seen the great European prospects flood ending yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A5...8ice_hockey%29

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote