HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Why do most people love/hate Detroit?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
  #26
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
a truckload of CBJ fans trashing their Columbus sweaters for Detroit 4 times a year wanting Detroit to win.
This is the most depressing... I was a big Wings fans and Pens fan before Columbus got a team, but as soon as the jackets came around, it wasn't even a question, The 2nd home game against the wings, I was there with a CBJ jersey on, cheering our boys on.

I don't know how you can root for both teams....I still like the Pens, but I also like Buffalo...


Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 03-19-2008 at 04:16 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
  #27
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
I was there last spring when a fan threw an octopus on the ice. I keep hoping they just get old and fade away but that hasn't happenned yet.
Ugh, I remember that, I kept thinking to myself, "Somebody has to do something about that" heads needed to roll.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
  #28
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
This is the most depressing... I was a big Wings fans and Pens fan before Columbus got a team, but as soon as the jackets came around, it wasn't even a question, The 2nd home game against the wings, I was there with a CBJ jersey on, cheering our boys on.

I don't know how you can root for both teams....I still like the Pens, but I also like Buffalo...
As time goes on the local fans who grew up following Detroit prior to the Jackets will be less and less. I've never seen any proof or stats on their numbers but in talking to Wing fans at the games over the past seven seasons I would say at least 1/3 are from Columbus. But that's just a guess.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:26 PM
  #29
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
I'll bet most of those types are the 30-50 year old guys who've followed the wings for years, and their kids are growing up as Jackets fans....

If you've been to a wings game in the Nat vs. Year 1...its gotten a lot better, it was probably 60-40 wings fans when I went to that 2nd home game in the Nat

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
  #30
errey21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
I got nothing against Detroit

I got nothing against the Red Wings (except Maltby).

I got nothing against the fans the few times Ive been to Joe Louis Arena.

Its the Red Wings fans that attend our games that make me want them to lose in the first round of the playoffs every year just so they can experience pain. They are just idoits with their comments. Anything you say eventually turns into "how many cups have you won?". I guess as the years go on that statement becomes funnier and a semi-intelligent debating point, but these idiots were throwing that back at me in our first year

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
  #31
puckgoalnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
I grew up north of Detroit (by about 2.5hrs), so I was a Wings fan back when they sucked! Growing up we always said that Detroit really wasn't in Michigan ... it was in Ohio. So, even people from Michigan don't like Detroit (or most "downstaters").

Obviously, I became a CBJ fan the day we got our team.

Anyway, I think the big points have been made: (a) spend a lot of money; (b) obnoxious ROAD fans; (3) they've been winning for sooo long.

And yes, Detroit does suck. It's really sad, because it used to be a beautiful, vibrant city ... but that was like up until the mid-60's. Once the riots happened in the 60's everyone moved out of downtown and it became the wasteland that it is now ... then when the auto industry started going downhill it pretty much wrecked any real hope for a comeback.

One last thing that makes me feel old, but I remember Stevie Y making an appearance/talking to teams at the state hockey playoffs my senior year. Makes me feel old because he was a rookie!!!!

puckgoalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
  #32
zackisonfire*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckgoalnet View Post
I grew up north of Detroit (by about 2.5hrs), so I was a Wings fan back when they sucked! Growing up we always said that Detroit really wasn't in Michigan ... it was in Ohio. So, even people from Michigan don't like Detroit (or most "downstaters").

Obviously, I became a CBJ fan the day we got our team.

Anyway, I think the big points have been made: (a) spend a lot of money; (b) obnoxious ROAD fans; (3) they've been winning for sooo long.

And yes, Detroit does suck. It's really sad, because it used to be a beautiful, vibrant city ... but that was like up until the mid-60's. Once the riots happened in the 60's everyone moved out of downtown and it became the wasteland that it is now ... then when the auto industry started going downhill it pretty much wrecked any real hope for a comeback.

One last thing that makes me feel old, but I remember Stevie Y making an appearance/talking to teams at the state hockey playoffs my senior year. Makes me feel old because he was a rookie!!!!
Unfortunately, you all hate me by default because I'm a wings fan, but this a pretty cool video of what Detroit looked like before the riots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxrhiraoUg

zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:57 PM
  #33
DougKnowsBest
Registered User
 
DougKnowsBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Newark, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500




get back to your side of toledo






DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
  #34
Mellington
Registered User
 
Mellington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Lost World
Country: United States
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatstick View Post
Unfortunately, you all hate me by default because I'm a wings fan, but this a pretty cool video of what Detroit looked like before the riots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxrhiraoUg
Beat I have found from My own personal view that the fans on are not really jerks .. So far you seem cool I am sure your not hated by all

__________________
LETS GO JACKETS !!!!
LETS GO STARS !!!
Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
  #35
zackisonfire*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,635
vCash: 500
And heres a video showing why its the 2nd worst place in America.


zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:26 PM
  #36
213 Sentinel
Registered User
 
213 Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
I got nothing against Detroit

I got nothing against the Red Wings (except Maltby).

I got nothing against the fans the few times Ive been to Joe Louis Arena.

Its the Red Wings fans that attend our games that make me want them to lose in the first round of the playoffs every year just so they can experience pain. They are just idoits with their comments. Anything you say eventually turns into "how many cups have you won?". I guess as the years go on that statement becomes funnier and a semi-intelligent debating point, but these idiots were throwing that back at me in our first year
This is the one that does it for me. For me and most other transplants (I've lived here for a decade), the Ohio - Michigan story wears thin after a while. I don't consider this a rivalry on the ice. I think the actual, natural on-ice rivalries for the CBJ are Nashville, Chicago, and Calgary.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
  #37
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
My dad grew up on Monica Ave in Dutroit. My grandparents -like a lot of people after the riot, had to get out of town. Some of those neighborhoods have seen a renaissance of sorts.

The sad part is that for all its former industrial-wealth, the city fathers let the old neighborhoods ROT for decades. To say it was partially motivated by racism would be an understatement. I could shoot some video of Cbus neighborhoods too.

We hate Deetroit because they are the enemy. If it were Beverly Hills, we'd be making fun of Rodeo drive.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:32 PM
  #38
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,659
vCash: 50
I get sick of seeing the same teams win all the time. I hate the Patriots for the same reason. They are too good.

I got sick of the whining and moaning during every whistle of every game, see: Shanny, Hull, Yzerman, Chelios, etc. They have at least 6 captains on the team it seems.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
  #39
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I get sick of seeing the same teams win all the time. I hate the Patriots for the same reason. They are too good.

I got sick of the whining and moaning during every whistle of every game, see: Shanny, Hull, Yzerman, Chelios, etc. They have at least 6 captains on the team it seems.
If Hull is captain material, I'm the queen of sheba....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:48 PM
  #40
cincyfan
Registered User
 
cincyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: guess
Country: United States
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
thanks for the schooling about the wings!

i think the comparison to the dallas cowboys and how the wing fans are in the nat
said it all. ive been to detroit twice and it really is a zoo! kind of says something when
people try to burn the place down on halloween.
hopefully the jackets show some hate tonight!!!!!!

cincyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
  #41
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Most of Detroit needs hit up with the bulldoze icon from Sim City.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
  #42
cydawg
#DefendNWA
 
cydawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gahanna, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
why do i breath air?


is a bull frogs arse hole water tight?

depends on what your definition of is is.


just check this out

http://www.seedetroit.com/


let me put it to you this way, whats not to hate about detroit?
Wow, I didn't think it looked THAT good.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
  #43
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Most of Detroit needs hit up with the bulldoze icon from Sim City.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:51 PM
  #44
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,401
vCash: 500
I don't like the Wings because of the fans that come to Nationwide. The Wings fans I know that are in Detroit (or elsewhere) are fine. Do they send the dregs to c-bus?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:06 PM
  #45
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I don't like the Wings because of the fans that come to Nationwide. The Wings fans I know that are in Detroit (or elsewhere) are fine. Do they send the dregs to c-bus?
no, I think most buckeye football fans are redwing fans.....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
  #46
dru
Jarmo Unchained
 
dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CBUS
Country: United States
Posts: 6,389
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dru
How about the fact that everytime I have to watch a game at Detroit there are tons of jackasses standing up in front of the camera because the TV cameras are so low to the ice. It wasn't cute the first 10,000 times, please stop.

Joe Louis Arena is garbage dump.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:25 PM
  #47
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa
 
kidAcbj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CBUS
Country: United States
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
How about the fact that everytime I have to watch a game at Detroit there are tons of jackasses standing up in front of the camera because the TV cameras are so low to the ice. It wasn't cute the first 10,000 times, please stop.

Joe Louis Arena is garbage dump.
yea i was just comment on that

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
  #48
cbjfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
i think i reconized some of those areas from four brothers

cbjfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:03 PM
  #49
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Most of Detroit needs hit up with the bulldoze icon from Sim City.
One of the only 14 billion computer games I've played, Detroit does need that icon. But in all honesty every city has it's blighted areas. Detroit has some significant issues with the declining auto industry.

When I want to visit a central divison rival I go to Chicago-what a town-I love that place.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
  #50
JACKETS! on the PP
 
JACKETS! on the PP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dancin' Beaver View Post
The reason for my pure and undying hatred for the Detroit Red Wings is simple. Seven seasons of watching them slaughter my beloved Blue Jackets like they don't even belong in the same league. Seven seasons of frustration akin to that of a kid with a cruel older brother that likes to make him look stupid in front of his friends. Seven years of watching "NHL Greatness" paraded in front of me like someone eating roast chicken in front of a starving man. Seven years of futile hopes that this would be the year that the Blue Jackets would be the team to knock the Red Wings out of the play-offs in the first round. Simple really.
AMEN! I started my hatred for the winged-wheel when I was originally a Philly fan and they swept the Flyers in the 97 cup finals.

Another factor was growing up in Cincinnati... detroit was the "local" team so it was always televised on Fox or whatever lame station was televising the games and it pissed me off.

Another factor was the whole notion of "hockeytown"... I understand their great tradition and history but it was a boastful slap in the face... I mean just a few hours down the road us Ohioans lace up our skates the same way, strap on our gear the same way and play the same GLORIOUS game (albeit on a youth, high school, college or minor league team) the same way.

Finally, during the recent era with the CBJ, it's like we are the eternal doormat of the Central and ridiculed pledge-brothers of the red wings - that in the words of the late/great Rodney Dangerfield - "get no respect" (deservedly so, I understand...). Nevertheless it pisses me off. I was born and raised a Buckeye fan but it's not even the Ohio/michigan thing - it's the "Evil Empire" thing. They're the Yankees, the Lakers and the Patriots wrapped up in one giant ball of big-market I-told-you-so stuff that makes me loathe them to the Nth degree.

I'll admit there is some underlying jealous (I wish Ohio could be a "hockey state", I wish the CBJ could hoist a single division, conference or Stanley Cup banner, etc.). As it stands I'm an underdog-kind-of-guy (except with Ohio State) and subsequently wish death upon certain existing monarchies.

I will say this - I love watching detroit (as of lately) lose in the playoffs... early or late... it doesn't matter... it's all good. I love when they get fed the proverbial ***** burger during the Stanley Cup Playoffs!


Last edited by JACKETS! on the PP: 03-19-2008 at 10:12 PM.
JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.