HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Why do most people love/hate Detroit?

Old
03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
a truckload of CBJ fans trashing their Columbus sweaters for Detroit 4 times a year wanting Detroit to win.
This is the most depressing... I was a big Wings fans and Pens fan before Columbus got a team, but as soon as the jackets came around, it wasn't even a question, The 2nd home game against the wings, I was there with a CBJ jersey on, cheering our boys on.

I don't know how you can root for both teams....I still like the Pens, but I also like Buffalo...

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 03-19-2008 at 04:16 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
I was there last spring when a fan threw an octopus on the ice. I keep hoping they just get old and fade away but that hasn't happenned yet.
Ugh, I remember that, I kept thinking to myself, "Somebody has to do something about that" heads needed to roll.

Old
03-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
This is the most depressing... I was a big Wings fans and Pens fan before Columbus got a team, but as soon as the jackets came around, it wasn't even a question, The 2nd home game against the wings, I was there with a CBJ jersey on, cheering our boys on.

I don't know how you can root for both teams....I still like the Pens, but I also like Buffalo...
As time goes on the local fans who grew up following Detroit prior to the Jackets will be less and less. I've never seen any proof or stats on their numbers but in talking to Wing fans at the games over the past seven seasons I would say at least 1/3 are from Columbus. But that's just a guess.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:26 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'll bet most of those types are the 30-50 year old guys who've followed the wings for years, and their kids are growing up as Jackets fans....

If you've been to a wings game in the Nat vs. Year 1...its gotten a lot better, it was probably 60-40 wings fans when I went to that 2nd home game in the Nat

Old
03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
errey21

I got nothing against Detroit

I got nothing against the Red Wings (except Maltby).

I got nothing against the fans the few times Ive been to Joe Louis Arena.

Its the Red Wings fans that attend our games that make me want them to lose in the first round of the playoffs every year just so they can experience pain. They are just idoits with their comments. Anything you say eventually turns into "how many cups have you won?". I guess as the years go on that statement becomes funnier and a semi-intelligent debating point, but these idiots were throwing that back at me in our first year

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
puckgoalnet

I grew up north of Detroit (by about 2.5hrs), so I was a Wings fan back when they sucked! Growing up we always said that Detroit really wasn't in Michigan ... it was in Ohio. So, even people from Michigan don't like Detroit (or most "downstaters").

Obviously, I became a CBJ fan the day we got our team.

Anyway, I think the big points have been made: (a) spend a lot of money; (b) obnoxious ROAD fans; (3) they've been winning for sooo long.

And yes, Detroit does suck. It's really sad, because it used to be a beautiful, vibrant city ... but that was like up until the mid-60's. Once the riots happened in the 60's everyone moved out of downtown and it became the wasteland that it is now ... then when the auto industry started going downhill it pretty much wrecked any real hope for a comeback.

One last thing that makes me feel old, but I remember Stevie Y making an appearance/talking to teams at the state hockey playoffs my senior year. Makes me feel old because he was a rookie!!!!

puckgoalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
zackisonfire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckgoalnet View Post
I grew up north of Detroit (by about 2.5hrs), so I was a Wings fan back when they sucked! Growing up we always said that Detroit really wasn't in Michigan ... it was in Ohio. So, even people from Michigan don't like Detroit (or most "downstaters").

Obviously, I became a CBJ fan the day we got our team.

Anyway, I think the big points have been made: (a) spend a lot of money; (b) obnoxious ROAD fans; (3) they've been winning for sooo long.

And yes, Detroit does suck. It's really sad, because it used to be a beautiful, vibrant city ... but that was like up until the mid-60's. Once the riots happened in the 60's everyone moved out of downtown and it became the wasteland that it is now ... then when the auto industry started going downhill it pretty much wrecked any real hope for a comeback.

One last thing that makes me feel old, but I remember Stevie Y making an appearance/talking to teams at the state hockey playoffs my senior year. Makes me feel old because he was a rookie!!!!
Unfortunately, you all hate me by default because I'm a wings fan, but this a pretty cool video of what Detroit looked like before the riots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxrhiraoUg

zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:57 PM
DougKnowsBest

get back to your side of toledo

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatstick View Post
Unfortunately, you all hate me by default because I'm a wings fan, but this a pretty cool video of what Detroit looked like before the riots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxrhiraoUg
Beat I have found from My own personal view that the fans on are not really jerks .. So far you seem cool I am sure your not hated by all

Old
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
zackisonfire*

And heres a video showing why its the 2nd worst place in America.

zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:26 PM
213 Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
I got nothing against Detroit

I got nothing against the Red Wings (except Maltby).

I got nothing against the fans the few times Ive been to Joe Louis Arena.

Its the Red Wings fans that attend our games that make me want them to lose in the first round of the playoffs every year just so they can experience pain. They are just idoits with their comments. Anything you say eventually turns into "how many cups have you won?". I guess as the years go on that statement becomes funnier and a semi-intelligent debating point, but these idiots were throwing that back at me in our first year
This is the one that does it for me. For me and most other transplants (I've lived here for a decade), the Ohio - Michigan story wears thin after a while. I don't consider this a rivalry on the ice. I think the actual, natural on-ice rivalries for the CBJ are Nashville, Chicago, and Calgary.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

My dad grew up on Monica Ave in Dutroit. My grandparents -like a lot of people after the riot, had to get out of town. Some of those neighborhoods have seen a renaissance of sorts.

The sad part is that for all its former industrial-wealth, the city fathers let the old neighborhoods ROT for decades. To say it was partially motivated by racism would be an understatement. I could shoot some video of Cbus neighborhoods too.

We hate Deetroit because they are the enemy. If it were Beverly Hills, we'd be making fun of Rodeo drive.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:32 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I get sick of seeing the same teams win all the time. I hate the Patriots for the same reason. They are too good.

I got sick of the whining and moaning during every whistle of every game, see: Shanny, Hull, Yzerman, Chelios, etc. They have at least 6 captains on the team it seems.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I get sick of seeing the same teams win all the time. I hate the Patriots for the same reason. They are too good.

I got sick of the whining and moaning during every whistle of every game, see: Shanny, Hull, Yzerman, Chelios, etc. They have at least 6 captains on the team it seems.
If Hull is captain material, I'm the queen of sheba....

Old
03-19-2008, 05:48 PM
cincyfan

thanks for the schooling about the wings!

i think the comparison to the dallas cowboys and how the wing fans are in the nat
said it all. ive been to detroit twice and it really is a zoo! kind of says something when
people try to burn the place down on halloween.
hopefully the jackets show some hate tonight!!!!!!

cincyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Most of Detroit needs hit up with the bulldoze icon from Sim City.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
why do i breath air?

is a bull frogs arse hole water tight?

depends on what your definition of is is.

just check this out

http://www.seedetroit.com/

let me put it to you this way, whats not to hate about detroit?
Wow, I didn't think it looked THAT good.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post

Old
03-19-2008, 06:51 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I don't like the Wings because of the fans that come to Nationwide. The Wings fans I know that are in Detroit (or elsewhere) are fine. Do they send the dregs to c-bus?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:06 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I don't like the Wings because of the fans that come to Nationwide. The Wings fans I know that are in Detroit (or elsewhere) are fine. Do they send the dregs to c-bus?
no, I think most buckeye football fans are redwing fans.....

Old
03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
How about the fact that everytime I have to watch a game at Detroit there are tons of jackasses standing up in front of the camera because the TV cameras are so low to the ice. It wasn't cute the first 10,000 times, please stop.

Joe Louis Arena is garbage dump.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:25 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
How about the fact that everytime I have to watch a game at Detroit there are tons of jackasses standing up in front of the camera because the TV cameras are so low to the ice. It wasn't cute the first 10,000 times, please stop.

Joe Louis Arena is garbage dump.
yea i was just comment on that

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
cbjfan4life

i think i reconized some of those areas from four brothers

cbjfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
One of the only 14 billion computer games I've played, Detroit does need that icon. But in all honesty every city has it's blighted areas. Detroit has some significant issues with the declining auto industry.

When I want to visit a central divison rival I go to Chicago-what a town-I love that place.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dancin' Beaver View Post
The reason for my pure and undying hatred for the Detroit Red Wings is simple. Seven seasons of watching them slaughter my beloved Blue Jackets like they don't even belong in the same league. Seven seasons of frustration akin to that of a kid with a cruel older brother that likes to make him look stupid in front of his friends. Seven years of watching "NHL Greatness" paraded in front of me like someone eating roast chicken in front of a starving man. Seven years of futile hopes that this would be the year that the Blue Jackets would be the team to knock the Red Wings out of the play-offs in the first round. Simple really.
AMEN! I started my hatred for the winged-wheel when I was originally a Philly fan and they swept the Flyers in the 97 cup finals.

Another factor was growing up in Cincinnati... detroit was the "local" team so it was always televised on Fox or whatever lame station was televising the games and it pissed me off.

Another factor was the whole notion of "hockeytown"... I understand their great tradition and history but it was a boastful slap in the face... I mean just a few hours down the road us Ohioans lace up our skates the same way, strap on our gear the same way and play the same GLORIOUS game (albeit on a youth, high school, college or minor league team) the same way.

Finally, during the recent era with the CBJ, it's like we are the eternal doormat of the Central and ridiculed pledge-brothers of the red wings - that in the words of the late/great Rodney Dangerfield - "get no respect" (deservedly so, I understand...). Nevertheless it pisses me off. I was born and raised a Buckeye fan but it's not even the Ohio/michigan thing - it's the "Evil Empire" thing. They're the Yankees, the Lakers and the Patriots wrapped up in one giant ball of big-market I-told-you-so stuff that makes me loathe them to the Nth degree.

I'll admit there is some underlying jealous (I wish Ohio could be a "hockey state", I wish the CBJ could hoist a single division, conference or Stanley Cup banner, etc.). As it stands I'm an underdog-kind-of-guy (except with Ohio State) and subsequently wish death upon certain existing monarchies.

I will say this - I love watching detroit (as of lately) lose in the playoffs... early or late... it doesn't matter... it's all good. I love when they get fed the proverbial ***** burger during the Stanley Cup Playoffs!

Last edited by JACKETS! on the PP: 03-19-2008 at 10:12 PM.
JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote