HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Why do most people love/hate Detroit?

Old
03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Boom Roasted

vCash: 500
Why do people hate the Red Wings? Pure Jealousy

Lets count the reasons we hate them:

1. They draft better than everyone else despite having the lowest picks
2. They have the longest playoff streak in pro sports
3. Howe, Lindsay, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Kelly, Delvecchio, etc. 10 Stanley Cups
4. They have an owner who wants to win and will spend to do it
5. They have 2 of the top 5 forwards in the league. They have one of the top 5 d-men and top 5 goalies all time.
6. They have the best coach in history, best current GM, best scouting director, and the best future GM. All on the same management team.
7. Free agents want to go there because of the organization and the suburbs.
8. "Hockeytown". Its a brilliant marketing ploy. Get over it.
9. They find scrubs like Dan Cleary and turn them into stars.

Most important:
10. They have owned this division for the last 15 years and will own it for the next 15 years.

That should cover it. I love how fans whine about how they're the "Yankees" of hockey. Study their drafts and trades and give credit where its due. The Wings are easily the best run organization in hockey.

Boom Roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
Why do people hate the Red Wings? Pure Jealousy

Lets count the reasons we hate them:

1. They draft better than everyone else despite having the lowest picks
2. They have the longest playoff streak in pro sports
3. Howe, Lindsay, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Kelly, Delvecchio, etc
4. They have an owner who wants to win and will spend to do it
5. They have 2 of the top 5 forwards in the league. They have one of the top 5 d-men and top 5 goalies all time.
6. They have the best coach in history, best current GM, best scouting director, and the best future GM. All on the same management team.
7. Free agents want to go there because of the organization and the suburbs.
8. "Hockeytown". Its a brilliant marketing ploy. Get over it.
9. They find scrubs like Dan Cleary and turn them into stars.

Most important:
10. They have owned this division for the last 15 years and will own it for the next 15 years.

That should cover it. I love how fans whine about how they're the "Yankees" of hockey. Study their drafts and trades and give credit where its due. The Wings are easily the best run organization in hockey.

I still hate the Red Wings and always will.... Wait, I sort of enjoyed watching them in the 70's...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:48 PM
CBJwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Most of Detroit needs hit up with the bulldoze icon from Sim City.
The Detroit scenarios in Sim City have always been a rehashing of the crime-ridden hellhole that you have to clean up.

Sadly, I always fail that scenario.

CBJwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:49 PM
JACKETS! on the PP

I will give credit where credit is due and unfortunately I have to tip my cap to them...

That's exactly what drives me crazy. My comparison to the Yankees wasn't because they spend exorbitant amounts of money but because they're always a player... they're always a competitor in the league - even despite the "salary cap era". That (hated) team always finds a way to win and it pisses me off!

Wasn't Zetterberg drafted in the 7th round?!? I mean you talk about a good draft M.O. and a general ability to find a "gem"... That's what this team does time and time again. They develop in-house and find talent despite having late picks and it pisses me off!

As you can tell, with detroit, I'm rather pissed off with a short fuse.

JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:53 PM
cbjfan4life

actually a team with less than 10 cups has no business being referred to as the "yankees" of hockey.....and a team with the audacity calling itself "hockeytown" maybe could work their way into selling out a few games or playoff games!

Last edited by cbjfan4life: 03-19-2008 at 11:07 PM.
cbjfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 10:56 PM
JACKETS! on the PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfan4life View Post
a team with the audacity of being called "hockeytown" maybe could work their way into selling out a few games or playoff games!
HAHAH...... nice. That's true. They don't sell out like they used to. I know that's partly due to the michigan economy but I was surprised that even at 9 pm EDT tonight that the joe appeared mostly empty. Especially in the lower portions around the glass.

JACKETS! on the PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfan4life View Post
actually a team with less than 10 cups has no business being referred to as the "yankees" of hockey.....and a team with the audacity calling itself "hockeytown" maybe could work their way into selling out a few games or playoff games!
Pretty sure Detroit has 10 cups.

22 Detroit Red Wings 1926 10 12 .455 1934, 1936, 1937, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2002

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:19 PM
VooX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETS! on the PP View Post
I will give credit where credit is due and unfortunately I have to tip my cap to them...

That's exactly what drives me crazy. My comparison to the Yankees wasn't because they spend exorbitant amounts of money but because they're always a player... they're always a competitor in the league - even despite the "salary cap era". That (hated) team always finds a way to win and it pisses me off!

Wasn't Zetterberg drafted in the 7th round?!? I mean you talk about a good draft M.O. and a general ability to find a "gem"... That's what this team does time and time again. They develop in-house and find talent despite having late picks and it pisses me off!

As you can tell, with detroit, I'm rather pissed off with a short fuse.
Excellent post.

I have to hand it to Ohio, you really deserve an NHL team. I am happy to see franchises go to cities like yours in an expansion instead of places like Nashville where ice only exists in drinks. (No disrespect to Pred fans)

In October, I honestly thought you would have a great season this year with some great young talent. You have not made it easy this year for my team. Columbus and Chicago have both matched up very well with us, making us play every minute or pay.

Our management kept true to our owner's philopsophies. Illitch demands everyone does everything possible to WIN. A promise was made to fans when he first bought the team to develop talent internally and keep their draft picks.

In the age of salary cap, we are bound to struggle eventually. It is how we respond that will determine how great our legacy will be. CBJ is young and hungry and I expect next game and next year to be as challenging as ever. Sorry about the playoffs, also being a Leafs fan I hate not making the post season.

Good luck in the draft, we certainly need our scouts to be sharp as your picks will be a lot better than ours. Next year is wide open in the Central, I still think you and Chicago will be our toughest challenge.

Last edited by VooX: 03-19-2008 at 11:29 PM.
VooX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Pretty sure Detroit has 10 cups.

22 Detroit Red Wings 1926 10 12 .455 1934, 1936, 1937, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2002
66-95 Where were the the cups during those 29 years. They are on the backend of a 13 year run. It won't last much longer.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
66-95 Where were the the cups during those 29 years. They are on the backend of a 13 year run. It won't last much longer.....
In a salary cap era, it's harder to keep it going. Every year it's someone new. I would be very surprised to see them make the finals this year.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Detroit fans like the smell of their own farts. Another reason to hate them.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Do they still come in droves to Nationwide?

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I don't know. What young goalies do they have in their system? Defense is also an area of concern given the age of Lidstrom, and of course Chelios is drawing social security next year right?

I would not be suprised to see Detroit back at the top of the standings in the West next season. The culture and the system makes good players great, as long as they have some young goaltending and a scoring defensemen somwhere in the queue.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:40 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I don't know. What young goalies do they have in their system? Defense is also an area of concern given the age of Lidstrom, and of course Chelios is drawing social security next year right?

I would not be suprised to see Detroit back at the top of the standings in the West next season. The culture and the system makes good players great, as long as they have some young goaltending and a scoring defensemen somwhere in the queue.
I get your sarcasm, but dont hold your breath waiting for the Wings to suck, Ohio fans.

You'll pass out long before Datsyuk's current contract even expires. Nevermind Zetterberg's inevitable deal.

Young goalies? Try Howard, Liv and Larsson.
Young dmen? Quincey, Meech, Ericsson, Kindl and Kronwall (<- hes kinda good)
Young forwards? Kopecky, Filpula, Abdelkader, Emmerton, Smith (not including the current roster of young-ish players like Franzen, Datsyuk and Zetterberg).

All in all, I understand why peeps from Ohio would hate Detroit/Michigan. It has always been a geographical rivalry. I posted in another CBJ thread about the BJs future and what next year could possibly bring.

Nothing more I want than CBJ to be successful, even if you wish death upon the Wings with every breath.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 10:09 AM
cbjfan4life

the only team that has any business being called the "yankees of hockey" at least from a success standpoint is the Habs. a total of 10 cup wins for that team, (det) (source http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/t...ons.php?tid=34 )
what happened between 1955 and 1995??? I imagine most of the "wangs" fans who come out to boast at the nat don't know that or were unaware of the deadthings! FYI to whoever said it must be osu fans who are redwing fans, has their head up their rear! a true osu fan will hate anything from michigan....even teams from a sport they couldn't care less about!

cbjfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 10:11 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Yankees..... Blue Jackets.... I see a common thread

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 10:30 AM
evengodlovesthecbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooX View Post
Excellent post.

I have to hand it to Ohio, you really deserve an NHL team. I am happy to see franchises go to cities like yours in an expansion instead of places like Nashville where ice only exists in drinks. (No disrespect to Pred fans)

In October, I honestly thought you would have a great season this year with some great young talent. You have not made it easy this year for my team. Columbus and Chicago have both matched up very well with us, making us play every minute or pay.

Our management kept true to our owner's philopsophies. Illitch demands everyone does everything possible to WIN. A promise was made to fans when he first bought the team to develop talent internally and keep their draft picks.

In the age of salary cap, we are bound to struggle eventually. It is how we respond that will determine how great our legacy will be. CBJ is young and hungry and I expect next game and next year to be as challenging as ever. Sorry about the playoffs, also being a Leafs fan I hate not making the post season.

Good luck in the draft, we certainly need our scouts to be sharp as your picks will be a lot better than ours. Next year is wide open in the Central, I still think you and Chicago will be our toughest challenge.
I don't "hate" Detroit but I also do not love them.
One thing I can say is that they are a classy organization. Would anyone of those players ever did what the Calgary player did on Tuesday at the Nat? Probably not. This poster is a good example of class.

That being said, nothing ticks me off more than being at the Nat and hearing as many Wings fans as CBJ fans. So, as I respect them I cannot root for them.

evengodlovesthecbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by evengodlovesthecbj View Post
I don't "hate" Detroit but I also do not love them.
One thing I can say is that they are a classy organization. Would anyone of those players ever did what the Calgary player did on Tuesday at the Nat? Probably not. This poster is a good example of class.

That being said, nothing ticks me off more than being at the Nat and hearing as many Wings fans as CBJ fans. So, as I respect them I cannot root for them.
Well their organization is run well, but they are every bit as capable of dirty play on the ice. Maltby is no saint. Chelios could right a book on spearing, cross checking, etc. Its all part of the game. Hockey is a funny game like that. You've got these superstars(Pronger) that won't think twice about using their skate to hurt an opponent. I don't think the majority of the U.S. sports fan audience knows what to think about the violence in hockey. Its not overt, in your face such as hitting in football, which occurs on every down, multiple times, but when hockey gets rough, it surpasses the violence level you see in other major team sports.

Old
03-20-2008, 10:43 AM
saipa

I have two reasons;

1. Red Wings used to be filled with Russians.
2. Red Wings is filled with Swedes.

Finland vs Russia.
Finland vs Sweden.

Do I need to say more ?

saipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Pucknacious

All Finns and Swedes secretly yearn to be Norwegian.

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by saipa View Post
I have two reasons;

1. Red Wings used to be filled with Russians.
2. Red Wings is filled with Swedes.

Finland vs Russia.
Finland vs Sweden.

Do I need to say more ?

Are you a Dallas fan?

Do you understand Esa Tikanen when he speaks?

Old
03-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Imjustabill

Of the few Red Wings fans I know, they tend to be frontrunning bandwagon sports fans. One I know in particular obnoxiously roots for these teams:

Red Wings
Yankees
Cowboys (used to be the 49ers, but they suck now)
Lakers (edit - he's more of a Kobe fan than anything else)

This guy knows that I'm a hockey fan and will occasionally ask me questions about players on the Wings - hell, I know more about his team than he does. Going into the playoffs last year, he still thought Shanahan was on the team. What a dufus.

Last edited by Imjustabill: 03-20-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 11:12 AM
saipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Are you a Dallas fan?

Do you understand Esa Tikanen when he speaks?

I do like Dallas more than Detroit.

Yes, if he speaks Finnish.

saipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 11:39 AM
cadencecollision

i tend to root for the underdog, so detroit hasnt fit that mold in my lifetime. they've always been too good. i can appreciate the individual players(Yzerman is one of my faves), and the Red Wing/Avalanche series' in the 90's were some great games to watch(oddly enough, i also hate colorado), but i always resented the fact that back in the nhl on fox days we were usually stuck watching a red wings game.

my greatest hockey moment is when Jamie Baker put one in for San Jose(the first team i chose to root for when i got into hockey) when they upset the Red Wings in the first round of the playoffs. The Red Wings just make a good EVIL EMPIRE, like Dolph Lundgren(sp?) in Rocky IV.

cadencecollision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
That was one of the greatest upsets in hockey history.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote