HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What would it take for Ottawa to move up into the top 5 or 10 in the draft?

Old
03-21-2008, 11:59 AM
ARS

vCash: 500
I don't think Ottawa can move that far up. The best we could possibly hope for is moving up to the early 20's.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:21 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSens View Post
I don't think Ottawa can move that far up. The best we could possibly hope for is moving up to the early 20's.
Ottawa might be lower then 20 to begin with look at the standings.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
shibster

Not if they win the cup!

shibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:42 PM
rajuabju

For the Knigs pick, which would be #1 or #2 overall...

Kings 1st + Cammy for

Commodore (sign & trade, as I think he will be a UFA) + Volchenkov + Fisher

Yea, thats a high price. But thats what I think it would take to potentially get Stamkos or Doughty.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:45 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post

Kings 1st + Cammy for

Yea, thats a high price. But thats what I think it would take to potentially get Stamkos or Doughty.
I would probably do it. Even though I think Meszaros has more trade value then Volchenkov but if thats what the kings wanted im a sens fan I dont hesitate to make that trade.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:55 PM
ARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Ottawa might be lower then 20 to begin with look at the standings.
Well, I mean if they have a pick higher than 25

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:10 PM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post

Kings 1st + Cammy for

So we end up with 2nd line centres (one who will probably take a year to develop), for 2 of our top 3 fan favorites (one being our 2nd best d-man and one being one of Murray's favorite players and one of two guys on our team that gives 100% every single game)

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
So we end up with 2nd line centres (one who will probably take a year to develop), for 2 of our top 3 fan favorites (one being our 2nd best d-man and one being one of Murray's favorite players and one of two guys on our team that gives 100% every single game)
Cammalleri is not a center.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:56 PM
mlugia
That other guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoradamwest View Post
[/B]

No he won't.

(your debating skills are so overwhelming, I just had to try out some of your methods.)

and ok then.
So you are proposing to trade a better player + a 1st rounder for a pick that will result in a worse player?

What am I missing here?

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 02:14 PM
rajuabju

Quote:
I didnt say it was a good deal for Ottawa. I just said that if they wanted the KINGS pick (#1 or #2 overall), it would be very costly. If they just wanted a top 10 pick, they could probably throw in their 1st, a 2nd and a mid-level prospect and more or less get there.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 02:31 PM
NYR Viper

the one thing i want to do.....is if the sens want to rebuild their system, would they be willing to trade their first for multiple prospects who may turn out to be lower tier players in the nhl and some picks.........
it would lead to the fastest way to rebuild their system and give them young players to have on their bottom two lines
they have the high-end talent in spezza, heatley, fischer, vermette, volchenkov, phillips......so would they trade for the ability to have cheap players on their bottom lines, and rebuild their system at the same time

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 03:47 PM
errey21

Honest question from a BlueJackets fan.......what am I missing about Vermette???

I think we have the 7/8 pick right now, it'll be top ten no problem. If Colorado makes the playoffs, we have their first as well.

If your us, why not swap our 1st round pick for Vermette and Ottawa's 1st round pick?

We need two top six centers. If we can get one in Free Agency or trade to play with Nash and Modin, then we do this and get Vermette to play with Zherdev and Chimera or a young guy that steps up next year.

If we need to start winning oh say two years ago, why not trade for a young 20 goal/20 assist guy as your second line center for a pick even in a deep draft?

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
VanW27

If you want a top 10 pick i would think there are three teams who would be quite willing to trade their's. Chicago, CBJ and Phoenix, all three have been at the bottom of the league for years and have alot of good young players and prospects, all three look to be on their way to being playoff teams and IMO would rather have a young player who could help them take that next step next year over a pick that is likely at least a couple years away.

Vermette and Meszaros to me would be valuable commodities to those 3 teams, and unless they are in love with a potential pick they would be willing to swap picks if it meant adding one of those two.

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 05:07 PM
The Fuhr*

I'd move Fisher and our first round pick for a top five pick at the draft.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 06:12 PM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I'd move Fisher and our first round pick for a top five pick at the draft.
of course you would.
i wouldn't. the '09 crop is better, if we are moving fisher, i hope its next year.

Old
03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
thecupismine

Ottawa is not in the right position to get a top 10 pick. It's sad really considering that they're hosting the draft, but if I'm a team that is in the bottom ten, I'm in all likelihood looking for cheap, young talent. Ottawa may be willing to trade their young RFA's but they won't be cheap to sign. If you're a team that isn't looking to contend for the cup and is wanting to build with their youth, trading a top 10 pick for 3 million plus players isn't on the top of your list.

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Asquaredx2

Honestly, if we're going to be dealing guys like Vermette or Meszaros I'd much rather try to package them for a top-notch goalie prospect a la Corey Schneider. Perhaps something centred around Meszaros and a pick to LA, Cammalleri and Vermette to Vancouver and Schneider and Krajicek to Ottawa?

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Cherith Cutestory

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupismine View Post
Ottawa is not in the right position to get a top 10 pick. It's sad really considering that they're hosting the draft, but if I'm a team that is in the bottom ten, I'm in all likelihood looking for cheap, young talent. Ottawa may be willing to trade their young RFA's but they won't be cheap to sign. If you're a team that isn't looking to contend for the cup and is wanting to build with their youth, trading a top 10 pick for 3 million plus players isn't on the top of your list.
Agreed. Why would any team wanna take on RFA's and not know what kind of contracts they're going to get. A team that is in a position to be drafting 1-5 is likely to want to use that pick for their future, and looking at this years draft and how deep it is it would be smart for any of those teams to keep their picks and not trade it for a couple of RFA's who might not come cheap

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
of course you would.
i wouldn't. the '09 crop is better, if we are moving fisher, i hope its next year.

It doesn't matter if he would or not. None of the top five teams are giving up their pick for Fisher - not this year and not next year. Fisher is a fine two-way player who can get you 45 - 50 points a year. But, if you are nonplayoff team in the top five, you're looking to draft a franchise player that you can build around. Obviously, that doesn't always work out, but nonplayoff teams will hold onto that opportunity 99 times out of 100.

Does Chicago give up Toews for Fisher and a later pick? Does St. Louis give up Erik Johnson for Fisher and a later pick? For that matter, does PHX give up Mueller or the Isles give up Okposo? Nope.

You guys are underestimating the value of high picks in a strong draft.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 03-21-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
That part's really funny.

I've seen him play. He turns the puck over a lot and avoids contact. I'd never trade a top 8 pick for him...even with Ottawa's first coming back with him. Especially if I my draft pick has a shot at Doughty.

If a team is looking for an immediate impact...yeah they'd probably rather have Meszaros than a top 8 draft pick. But you probably won't find too many people that are worried about how long it takes a prospect to develop.
Hilarious @ what you quoted

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
It doesn't matter if he would or not. None of the top five teams are giving up their pick for Fisher - not this year and not next year. Fisher is a fine two-way player who can get you 45 - 50 points a year. But, if you are nonplayoff team in the top five, you're looking to draft a franchise player that you can build around. Obviously, that doesn't always work out, but nonplayoff teams will hold onto that opportunity 99 times out of 100.

Does Chicago give up Toews for Fisher and a later pick? Does St. Louis give up Erik Johnson for Fisher and a later pick? For that matter, does PHX give up Mueller or the Isles give up Okposo? Nope.

I agree that Fisher is far from enough to entice teams away from franchise players. My point was that if a team feels there are no longer any franchise players available, it may look towards moving down if it means a good, young, fairly cheap player coming back. Meszaros and Vermette, unlike Fisher, both have a lot of room for growth. Maybe this draft won't have all the stars align so that a deal takes place but certainly the value is there at least for a trade late in the top 10. If Ottawa's scouting system feels strongly about a prospect that other teams disregard... Didn't san Jose move into the top ten in 2007 and 2005 after a series of trades?
Columbus was already mentionned, Florida is another team looking to make the playoffs in the very near future that could appreciate a player like Meszaros or even Vermette.

For top 3 picks, there's nothing Ottawa would be willing to offer that would surpass what others teams would likely offer.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 11:03 AM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post

oh i agree. i don't want to trade fisher. i was just saying that if we were to make a move (and its slim because we won't trade spezza/heatley/alfie), i'd rather do it next year. im not saying he'd get us a top 8 pick

Old
03-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Redden Punches Faces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
Honestly, if we're going to be dealing guys like Vermette or Meszaros I'd much rather try to package them for a top-notch goalie prospect a la Corey Schneider. Perhaps something centred around Meszaros and a pick to LA, Cammalleri and Vermette to Vancouver and Schneider and Krajicek to Ottawa?
Meszaros and Vermette for Cory ****ing Schneider and Krajicek? A pair of bloated, flaky balls to that.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 04:15 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
Recently, Bryan Murray has said that one of his main goals is to replenish the prospect pool in Ottawa as he doesn't really like what he sees.

So... with the draft being in Ottawa, there's a good chance he might want to move up into the top 10 or 5 to get some excitement building and get an elite prospect into the system.

Let's say you're Tampa, St. Louis, LA, Atlanta, NYI or Chicago. What does it take for you to move your (likely) top 5 pick or (almost certainly) top 10 pick?

Obviously Ottawa's own #1 would be in play, but guys like Antoine Vermette or Andrej Meszaros might also be moved.

Put Wade Redden in net.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Dionysus

I think the most likely scenario is Vermette + Ottawa's first for Columbus's first.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote