HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

ATL/PIT Proposal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2004, 05:38 PM
  #1
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
ATL/PIT Proposal

Atlanta needs Tarnstrom to help our struggling PP. Is it possible to acquire him without giving up draft picks. I was thinking about a two for one deal.

To PIT: Yannick Tremblay, Ivan Majesky
To ATL: Dick Tarnstrom

Chris Tamer and possibly even Tomas Kloucek are also available if interested.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 05:40 PM
  #2
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I think ya could probably get him for a 4th-5th round pick and a 4th liner/low-leve prospect

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 05:42 PM
  #3
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I think ya could probably get him for a 4th-5th round pick and a 4th liner/low-leve prospect
I disagree.

Jacob is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 05:45 PM
  #4
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I think ya could probably get him for a 4th-5th round pick and a 4th liner/low-leve prospect
You'd be way off.

The Penguins got a 4th rounder at the deadline last year for the worst damn player in the league, I think Tarnstrom could garner a little more than that.

The market for an offensive defenseman, PP QB, and solid in his own end defenseman...who is 28 years old is pretty damn high.

I'm not saying it'll take anything major, but the return would be nice.

Personally I don't know enough about the players to comment on the deal.

Tamer was already a Penguin, I doubt there's any interest in getting him back here.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 05:45 PM
  #5
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
then what would it take, Pens are desperate to dump and Tarnstrom is next best, they traded Straka for practically nil.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 05:46 PM
  #6
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
then what would it take, Pens are desperate to dump and Tarnstrom is next best, they traded Straka for practically nil.
Nil?

Strbak has been solid for the Penguins and Anshakov is one of our best prospects.

The Penguins aren't "desperate" to trade a guy who makes 1.1 million. They're not trading just because players are good, they're trading for financial reasons. Straka makes what averages to 4.5 million/year...

There's no one single player on the Penguins that makes enough money to be worth trading him when you consider another player would have to take his roster spot...

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 05:49 PM
  #7
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Strbak, solid, I guess, and Anshakov is decent, but Straka is a bit better than Tarnstrom (more than a bit) when I think about it. I bet something like Aubin and a decent pick could get him.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 06:01 PM
  #8
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,416
vCash: 500
People, PLEASE stop these pathetic Dick Tarnstrom proposals. The Penguins are NOT going to trade him unless someone blows them away with an offer.

He is our best player and is probably THE BEST bargain in the NHL given what he makes ($1.1. million). Moreover, he still has another year on his contract at $1.5 million. That is nothing for a player of his calibre and the Pens, who already have the lowest payroll in the league can EASILY afford to pay Tarnstrom's salary. And at 27, he still has many good years left, not to mention that he will probably continue to improve given that this is only his 3rd NHL season.

So WHY would the Penguins trade their best player? Why would the team witht the worst defense core trade their best defenseman?

The Penguins, who will have a top 2 pick this year and 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, do not need anymore prospects; we need players that can help us now, and that is why we will not trade Tarnstrom.

jmelm is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 06:03 PM
  #9
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Strbak, solid, I guess, and Anshakov is decent, but Straka is a bit better than Tarnstrom (more than a bit) when I think about it. I bet something like Aubin and a decent pick could get him.
Anshakov is a top prospect. Did you notice his performance at the WJC's?

The only reason why Straka was difficult to trade is because he is going to make about $4.6 million next year, and if the Pens didn't eat some salary, they would have got very little in return.

Tarnstrom's contract is dirt cheap and he is still signed for another year, after which, with a new CBA, the Pens should have no problem resiging him.

jmelm is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 06:12 PM
  #10
craig1
Registered User
 
craig1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
then what would it take, Pens are desperate to dump and Tarnstrom is next best, they traded Straka for practically nil.
???????????????????????

Have you seen Anshakov play. I got to see a few games on tape from the WJC's. This guy is one of the Pens top prospects....Strbak has been solid if nothing else...

It will take a team overpaying for Tarnstrom to pry him away. He's cheap, and relatively young. Isn't that the type of player the Pens want? I am not saying he is untouchable, but a player making $1.1 million a dump? They'd have to pay a lesser talented player almost the same to replace him!

It isn't possible for the Pens payroll to get much lower. The only player they have who has a higher salary given NHL standards is Lemieux.


Last edited by craig1: 02-06-2004 at 06:15 PM.
craig1 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 06:41 PM
  #11
Steve Latin*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Thinbonesville
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I think ya could probably get him for a 4th-5th round pick and a 4th liner/low-leve prospect
I think you've started drinking a bit too early today.

S L

Steve Latin* is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 06:44 PM
  #12
Steve Latin*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Thinbonesville
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Atlanta needs Tarnstrom to help our struggling PP. Is it possible to acquire him without giving up draft picks. I was thinking about a two for one deal.

To PIT: Yannick Tremblay, Ivan Majesky
To ATL: Dick Tarnstrom

Chris Tamer and possibly even Tomas Kloucek are also available if interested.
Honestly, I think it would take Slater. Just because Tarnstrom may not be worth a lot around the league, doesn't mean he's not worth a lot to te Pens. He's one of their only good players. He's young. And he's afforable.

S L

Steve Latin* is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 06:53 PM
  #13
pittengineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
No way Tarnstrom goes for only a 4th round pick. Whoever loses out on the Gonchar sweepstakes(if traded at all) and needs an offensive d-man, Tarnstrom will be it. Cheap contract, not a rental, only 27, solid-but-not-great defensively, and great offensively. His contract is so good the pens dont even have to move the talented dman. That being said, Im all for trading him . But the deal has to make sense. I would love to see Slater in a pens uni and i would be willing to package a mid-to-late-pick/playoff veteran w/ tarnstrom to get the rights to Slater. I dont think, however, that ATL would give him up. Other than Coburn(would look good with Whitneyin the future) and Lehtonen(which we dont need), there prospect pool doesnt really interest me. And they would never give up the before mentioned prospects.

So either:

PENS: Slater
ATL: Tarnstrom and 6th

or

PENS: 2nd round pick
ATL: Tarnstrom

This being said, I dont forsee a trade with atlanta.

pittengineer is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 07:01 PM
  #14
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
Honestly, I think it would take Slater. Just because Tarnstrom may not be worth a lot around the league, doesn't mean he's not worth a lot to te Pens. He's one of their only good players. He's young. And he's afforable.

S L
i'll buy this statement. i don't think much of tarnstrom- he's ok- better-than-ok on the PP, but worse-than-ok in his own end. is a 28 year old too old for this rebuilding process? i mean, the pens will be good in what- 4 years or so? by then, tarnstrom would be on the downside of his career, so if they got a strong offer now, make the move. if not, they hang onto him. personally, i'd deal him at the deadline. they should be able to create some sort of bidding war.

by the way, milbury just junked this guy to the scrap heap...interesting right? this guy has pictures of wang doing something nasty

neelynugs is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 08:31 PM
  #15
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,787
vCash: 500
Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I do think if the Pens deal him they will get a nice return. He's really one of the very, very few bright spots to the season for the Pens. I don't think you can compare trading him to any of the other guys we've traded because his $1 million isn't going to hurt us.

Some mention has been of Straka being better, which, he is, but he wasn't helping the Pens at all. Straka if often injured lately, and when he was playing he wasn't doing much of anything to help the Pens.

Tarnstrom, on the other hand, has been a huge help. He's able to log a lot of minutes, play solid D, and create offensively. He missed a game about a week ago from the flu(if i remember correctly) and I also think that was one of the worst games we've played all season. We couldn't get anything going offensively, and I think a big part of that was not having Tarnstrom.

That being said, I go back to my original statement, we may end up trading him, but it will be for a nice return. IMO, it won't be a deal that has the league laughing like some of the others(although, I think the Straka deal was a good one).

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 09:06 PM
  #16
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Slater is untouchable at the moment. He's a former first round pick who currently enjoying a great season in college. The thrashers won't trade him before they can see what he can do at pro level. I still believe my orginal proposal of Tremblay and Tarnstrom is a fair deal for the pens. Both players would make and contribute to the pens D. Tremblay although not as good as Tarnstrom would take over his duties on the PP while Majesky (who was acquired last summer for a high 2nd round pick) is a solid defensive d-man that can log a lot of minutes. Both players are cheap too.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 10:28 PM
  #17
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Strbak, solid, I guess, and Anshakov is decent, but Straka is a bit better than Tarnstrom (more than a bit) when I think about it. I bet something like Aubin and a decent pick could get him.
And defensemen are in much higher demand than C/LWers who make 4.5 mill per year and are injured alot.

stardog is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 10:38 PM
  #18
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Slater is untouchable at the moment. He's a former first round pick who currently enjoying a great season in college. The thrashers won't trade him before they can see what he can do at pro level. I still believe my orginal proposal of Tremblay and Tarnstrom is a fair deal for the pens. Both players would make and contribute to the pens D. Tremblay although not as good as Tarnstrom would take over his duties on the PP while Majesky (who was acquired last summer for a high 2nd round pick) is a solid defensive d-man that can log a lot of minutes. Both players are cheap too.
While this does seem to be a fair trade, it helps Atlanta more than it helps Pittsburgh which is why I don't see Pittsburgh doing it as it doesn't upgrade the team. We already have a plethora of 5/6/7 defensemen and adding two more would do nothing for this team.
Tarnstrom and whomever Ivan and Tremblay replace helps the Pens more than these two would IMO.
Another thing to consider is that there is absolutely no need to trade Tarnstrom, so a team that wants him will have to give up more than usual, as the Pens wont make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

stardog is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 10:42 PM
  #19
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
While this does seem to be a fair trade, it helps Atlanta more than it helps Pittsburgh which is why I don't see Pittsburgh doing it as it doesn't upgrade the team. We already have a plethora of 5/6/7 defensemen and adding two more would do nothing for this team.
Tarnstrom and whomever Ivan and Tremblay replace helps the Pens more than these two would IMO.
Another thing to consider is that there is absolutely no need to trade Tarnstrom, so a team that wants him will have to give up more than usual, as the Pens wont make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
I agree here. Tarnstrom indeed will provide more than Majesky and Tremblay, IMO. Majesky is better defensively, but I think we definately need a guy like Tarnstrom for the offense. I don't think Tremblay could handle the load Tarnstrom does.

And if we do trade Tarnstrom because we want to get rid of his contract(which I highly, highly doubt), this deal doesn't help matters. Tremblay alone makes just about as much as Tarnstrom, doesn't he?

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:01 PM
  #20
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,787
vCash: 500
Tarnstrom probably won't be traded unless a good offer comes around. While he's not a good defensive player, he does log a ton of minutes and, as sad as it is, is the top defenseman on the team. And if you look at the numbers, they're bad, but given the circumstance, they'd be a lot worse if he was horrible defensively.

-25 and he plays 3 more minutes than anyone else.

He's cheap and the Penguins are in no rush to dump him off.

I don't really see many good circumstances for a trade here between these two teams.

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
02-06-2004, 11:15 PM
  #21
saba
Registered User
 
saba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to saba
Aww hell i do see a trade

How about Morozov and Drake B. for Kloucheck and Tommi Santala? Drake does everything T does just hi's and low's are greater plus adds some toughness. Morozov could be a jem but needs a change of scenery

saba is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:06 AM
  #22
craig1
Registered User
 
craig1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,207
vCash: 500
By that reasoning, why would the Pens do the deal? They are admittedly taking the bad end of the deal.

craig1 is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 12:50 AM
  #23
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
then what would it take, Pens are desperate to dump and Tarnstrom is next best, they traded Straka for practically nil.
If they were desparate to dump Tarnstrom, they probably wouldn't have signed him to the deal he's currently on only 5 months ago.
Quote:
but Straka is a bit better than Tarnstrom (more than a bit) when I think about it.
Not when you compare salary.
Quote:
Tremblay although not as good as Tarnstrom would take over his duties on the PP while Majesky (who was acquired last summer for a high 2nd round pick) is a solid defensive d-man that can log a lot of minutes. Both players are cheap too.
Not when you combine their salaries. Together, they make MORE than what Tarnstrom makes. So the question then is, if this isn't a salary dump, why are the Penguins making this trade? To help Atlanta's playoff chances?


Last edited by Jacob: 02-07-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Jacob is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 03:13 AM
  #24
AEKaki
Registered User
 
AEKaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Greektown, MONTREAL
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
then what would it take, Pens are desperate to dump and Tarnstrom is next best, they traded Straka for practically nil.
Mr. Anshakov led Ovechkin's team in scoring...
The Pens wanted to tank it, why would they keep Straka?
Tarnstrom is cheap and good.

AEKaki is offline  
Old
02-07-2004, 06:38 AM
  #25
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittengineer
No way Tarnstrom goes for only a 4th round pick. Whoever loses out on the Gonchar sweepstakes(if traded at all) and needs an offensive d-man, Tarnstrom will be it. Cheap contract, not a rental, only 27, solid-but-not-great defensively, and great offensively. His contract is so good the pens dont even have to move the talented dman. That being said, Im all for trading him . But the deal has to make sense. I would love to see Slater in a pens uni and i would be willing to package a mid-to-late-pick/playoff veteran w/ tarnstrom to get the rights to Slater. I dont think, however, that ATL would give him up. Other than Coburn(would look good with Whitneyin the future) and Lehtonen(which we dont need), there prospect pool doesnt really interest me. And they would never give up the before mentioned prospects.

So either:

PENS: Slater
ATL: Tarnstrom and 6th

or

PENS: 2nd round pick
ATL: Tarnstrom

This being said, I dont forsee a trade with atlanta.
I rather keep the pick and Slater.

Safir* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.