HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smolinski deserves some respect

Old
03-20-2008, 06:29 AM
BJCOLLINS

vCash: 500
Hey Habfanvic....great avatar.

I really, really wanted Smoke to work out with us........but after 57 games played I can't say it was a good move to bring him aboard. I'm still holding out hope that he can turn it around in the PO's. But honestly,except for a couple of games, he's been a bust this year much like Breeze-by. Smoke will have a hard time finding a job in the bigs next year if he doesn't step it in the show.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I am not going to flame.

But to say he has been good is a joke.

Just look at last game his turnover on the 5 on 3 cost the team a goal.

I can recount countless other times as well. But you have a right to your opinion.
You can't be serious. I don't know what you guys expect on a 5-3. Yes, he didn't clear the zone, but god damn, it was a 5-3. Maybe if someone didn't take two stupid penalties they wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:31 AM
Evil Ted

I said it last season and I will say it again regardless of Bonks production in Nashville he was one of our most consistant players last season he was even playing a checking line position on a team full of players in the red, and won faceoffs and almost scored 15.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:40 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post
Anybody else miss Mike Johnson despite his not so physical play?
I miss Bonk and Johnson. If we had've kept them and they performed the same way they did, we would actually have a shutdown line and be dangerous. As it is, we have no shutdown line and that hurts us every night.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:44 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Smokes is as usefull as **** on a bull

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Beakermania*

I'll say this.... at least he has a good faceoff percentage, cause without that, well he'd be completely useless.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I'll say this.... at least he has a good faceoff percentage, cause without that, well he'd be completely useless.
agreed.
Perrault is more usefull then just faceoffs...
he isnt as bad of a liabillity as Smolinski

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness1980 View Post
agreed.
Perrault is more usefull then just faceoffs...
he isnt as bad of a liabillity as Smolinski
I don't know about that..... As bad as Smolinski has been, Perreault was/is worse defensively. He was such a liability he was not used for defensive zone faceoffs despite that high percentage, cause when he lost one it was a 5 on 4 for the other team.

Perreault is also not the offensive player he once was. He's lost a step and wasn't quick to begin with.

Both players are on the steep decline.... and if your suggesting that Perreault would be a good fit on the habs, I completely disagree, so far as to say that Smoke at this point is a better fit.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 07:01 AM
TheOldSage

My only good thing about Smoke is that Every times he scores we light up a splif, but it dont happen very often.

TheOldSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 07:27 AM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post
Anybody else miss Mike Johnson despite his not so physical play?
yes.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yeah, his -26 looks AWESOME.
He hasn't been good this year on Nashville but he was great last year for us. He was excellent on faceoffs, great on the PK and did a good job playing against other teams top lines. Please don't try and tell me you'd rather have Smolinski than Bonk.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Deserves some respect? As a human being? Absolutely. As a hockey player.....you've got to be joking....

I hated Bonk but now seeing Smolinski play make me miss him....I rather have neither but if I had to choose....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's only .7% better than Lapierre. Smoke is as useless as they get. I'd rather have Chipchura on the ice winning 0% of faceoffs than Smoke out there winning 100%.
+1

He's not bad, but Lapierre and Chipchura are simply better.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Doctor House

He just doesn't fit into the Habs system.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He hasn't been great.

But his game has picked up of late and he hasn't been that bad.

And he's been ****ing ace at face-offs for the bast month or so.. especially in the defensive zone.

Yeah, his -26 looks AWESOME.
Are you kidding me?! your both a Brisebois AND Smolinksi fan!

Wow, you keep talking about respect for the old farts on our team and i'l keep talking about the youth movement who is one of the main reasons why we're getting better and better. Smolinski over Lappierre and Chipchura is a joke, almost as bad as saying that Latendresse sucked (op), there's 2 reasons why Slowinski still on the team
1.His contract
2.Gainey's ego

Please Bob, this summer sign stars or nothing at all, wwe don't need that kind of trash on our bottom lines, we have enough kids with bigger potentials

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Please Bob, this summer sign stars or nothing at all, wwe don't need that kind of trash on our bottom lines, we have enough kids with bigger potentials
We would've have needed a guy like Ian Laperrière in our lineup. You can get some 3rd and 4th liners.....just the good ones would be appreciated though....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:41 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
You can't be serious. I don't know what you guys expect on a 5-3. Yes, he didn't clear the zone, but god damn, it was a 5-3. Maybe if someone didn't take two stupid penalties they wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.
You cannot be serious.
On a 5 on 3 you fire the puck up the boards or over the defenders head, you do not slide a lazy pass through the slot right to the point then lackadaisically skate back into position.
He is supposed to be a solid defensive vet, yet he does not know who to eat the puck or clear the zone on the PK.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:45 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I still remember that we started our good ways this year when him and Brisebois were injured and not playing (right after the Christmas break) and I can't wait for Carbo to realize it and bench both of them.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:46 AM
anarmandaleb

Not as a player, you don't mean, surely?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:14 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I don't usually say anything negative against any player on our Roster, but I have a hard time thinking of anything good to say about Smoke, except he'd be real good in a commercial for the "Hair Club" for men. Hopefully he trys to fulfill this dream real soon.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Are you kidding me?! your both a Brisebois AND Smolinksi fan!

Wow, you keep talking about respect for the old farts on our team and i'l keep talking about the youth movement who is one of the main reasons why we're getting better and better. Smolinski over Lappierre and Chipchura is a joke, almost as bad as saying that Latendresse sucked (op), there's 2 reasons why Slowinski still on the team
1.His contract
2.Gainey's ego

That is just a stupid, stupid comment.

No player is on this team because of the GM's ego.

Smolinski has been game in and game out, probably the worst forward on the team, but keeping him around in no way is hurting the team. Chipchura needs to work on his game, which is happen in Hamilton and Lapierre need to sit every now and then, if for no other reasons that young pests can sometimes lose there edge playing every game (he will be fired up, the next game he plays).

If Carbo and Gainey felt that in someway Smoke was a negative influence on the team he would be in Hamilton or in the Sergei Samsonov special press box.

03-20-2008, 09:19 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I think Smolinski is going to get serious Hall of Fame consideration when he retires.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Perhaps people see him as taking up ice time from the likes of Lapierre or Latendresse..tough, they suck.
Both of those players have played better hockey all year than Smolinski. Every year the fans pick a whipping boy. Now that Ryder has scored a few, Smoke is it. And really.... he is the worst player on the team right now. It's a shame they didn't just run with Grabovski all year.

That said, playoff performance can make up for anything and everything, so the best I can say is, let's see if the guy can earn his cheque in the The Dance, before piling on even more. If there were a guy on the team who could be counted on to win faceoffs in our zone, I don't think we'd see Smolinski dressed too often. But - score 1 goal in the PO, win a game in OT or something, and it'll be all good in my books.

There's a reason he hasn't stuck on any one team for quite a while.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Quiet Robert

I tried to defend him early in the year and really wanted it to work out, but I have to admit when I'm wrong, and Smoke has just been bad for most of the year.

He chips in offensively once in a while, never takes bad penalties and his faceoff percentage has been great in the past few weeks, but other than that he's not contributing much. He is our worst PKer, and isn't overly impressive defensively.

I think he's "mislabeled" though. People wanted him to be a no.3 shut-down center, which is something he's never been. I agree with those who say he looks "carefree" or "soft" along the boards. He just doesn't have the intensity you need out of your bottom 6 players, and his lack of footspeed has really made his offensive game ineffective.

Finally, on the positive side, and something I've been repeating ad nauseum: it's a 1 year deal. He's a band-aid. My rationalization is that Gainey wanted a guy willing to take a year deal as a stopgap until Chipchura was ready for full-time hockey. I'm sure in Gainey's mind Chipchura is a sure-fire no.3 center for the next 10+ years, but he wanted to make sure he a proven NHLer for this year. Next year, Chip is in and all is well in Habland. So for all those who wanted Bonk or Bélanger, I think Gainey may have talked to then about 1 year deals and when they (presumably) wanted longer deals, he looked elsewhere. You have to look longterm in today's NHL, and this short term pain will lead to long term gain!

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Puckhead58*

Smokes has been terrible all year long. Yes, he is winning faceoffs lately, but so was Lapierre and Laps actually skates hard, hits and is a complete pest to the other teams. I don't understand why we would be playing Smokes over guys like Lapierre and Chipchura. I think we should call Chips back up for the playoffs and get rid of some guys like Smokes, Dandy and Breezer.
Someone mentioned that we wont see much more of Smokes with Begin back, well Begin will be hurt in his first game back and will miss the rest of the year. Begin is another guy that is wasting space on our roster. He is hurt all the time. I like him and he adds a lot to the 4th line when he plays, but he never plays because he is always hurt.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote