HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questioning Drury.

Old
03-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Procrastinator

vCash: 500
Questioning Drury.

for any of us who questioned the money, term, etc. drury showed why hes worth the bucks. hes just the money at the times when he deserves to get paid.

Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
for any of us who questioned the money, term, etc. drury showed why hes worth the bucks. hes just the money at the times when he deserves to get paid.
I dont buy that. i dont think youll ever convince me these guys are worth the money they are making. With that said, i am extremely happy they are on my team, and i LOVE the way both of them are playing in all 3 zones, particularly Drury who is a joy to watch in the defensive zone.

I just dont think you give elite superstar money to allstar players. you give elite superstar money to elite superstars.

anyways, like i said, youll never convince me these 2 contracts are good, but youll definitely get a nod of agreement that both of these players are welcome additions.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:53 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
I dont buy that. i dont think youll ever convince me these guys are worth the money they are making. With that said, i am extremely happy they are on my team, and i LOVE the way both of them are playing in all 3 zones, particularly Drury who is a joy to watch in the defensive zone.

I just dont think you give elite superstar money to allstar players. you give elite superstar money to elite superstars.

anyways, like i said, youll never convince me these 2 contracts are good, but youll definitely get a nod of agreement that both of these players are welcome additions.
For Gomez i can agree with you...

But Drury does so much, there is no one in the league like him. He is SO complete. I honestly think he is worth every single penny, and not just for reasons you see on paper.

Guys like Drury are so few and far between...I think you have to factor that in when you think about the money he is making - It shouldnt just all be about points.

h0ckeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Hes an interesting player when you consider the many things he brings. He wins faceoffs, he kills penalties he parks his ass in front of the net on the PP, he scores clutch goals. but in the end, he doesnt produce near enough points to warrant that kind of money, even with all the intangibles....and tangibles that he brings.

Old
03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Drury has really come on in the second half in terms of goal scoring. 12 goals in 51 games before the AllStar break and 11 goals in 22 games since. He needs to continue this throughout the next three weeks. It is the most important time of the year so far.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Hes an interesting player when you consider the many things he brings. He wins faceoffs, he kills penalties he parks his ass in front of the net on the PP, he scores clutch goals. but in the end, he doesnt produce near enough points to warrant that kind of money, even with all the intangibles....and tangibles that he brings.
So on our team now, for the money he makes - you think it would make more sense to have a more 1 dimensional point producer than someone like drury?

h0ckeyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
So on our team now, for the money he makes - you think it would make more sense to have a more 1 dimensional point producer than someone like drury?
nope. its what everyone always says to me. For some reason people cant seem to differentiate between the contract and the player.

If you asked me in the offseason who my #1 priority would be to get on this team. My answer would be Chris Drury. If you asked me who my #2 priority would be, I would say Gomez if we cant get Drury (i assumed Nylander would be back).

I like both of these players. Both are definitely huge improvements to this team. But both are grossly overpaid. Id give em each 5-5.5 max, and for 5 years each max.

Im not saying i dont want them on my team.

Im not saying i regret them being signed.

I am saying I hate the contracts they are signed to.

Another good example would be Johnny Damon when he signed with the Yanks. I love the player, I love what he does, and I absolutely wanted him signed when he was signed. But the contract (in this case years) was too long for my liking, and i ***** and moan about it all the time. Yes, I love that hes here, and yeah, I wouldnt trade him because hes so integral to this team. But that doesnt take away from the fact that his contract effing sucks.

Old
03-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Prospalous

But think what other teams could have been offering to nab him up too? Maybe that kind of contract is what it took.

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirardiMyBoy5 View Post
But think what other teams could have been offering to nab him up too? Maybe that kind of contract is what it took.
yep.

that doesnt mean i have to stop *****ing about it though does it?

Old
03-20-2008, 01:19 AM
eco's bones

Drury is having an excellent second half but the problem with giving him that kind of money is that when a really elite player is available the money to make a move most likely won't be available and/or we have situations like choosing being letting one of Avery or Roszival walk at the end of the season. As well as Drury has been playing--Avery has also been getting clutch goals and at the same time proving his worth in other areas. There's no doubt that he often ignites the team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Drury is having an excellent second half but the problem with giving him that kind of money is that when a really elite player is available the money to make a move most likely won't be available and/or we have situations like choosing being letting one of Avery or Roszival walk at the end of the season. As well as Drury has been playing--Avery has also been getting clutch goals and at the same time proving his worth in other areas. There's no doubt that he often ignites the team.

Yep, thats it in a nutshell. Love the player, but hes being paid as something he isnt. And that does hamper what you can and cant do in the future.

Oh well, thats why you have farm systems, to fill in the gaps with cheap, high quality players.

Old
03-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Sports Archaeologist

All IMO and speculation, but the Rangers probably wouldn't have been in the running for Dru and Gomex if they offered 5.5 mil max. The market dictated their contracts to a certain extent. I mean, 4 mil+ for Scott Hartnell? You wouldn't have gotten Dru at 5.5 with that kind of market.

Sports Archaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:41 AM
dank

i'm going to say this for the 1,000th time..

you can't really complain about the contracts because while they are not the best, you can't skimp by like $.5-1.0 and risk not getting the guys.. you give him a lower bid and you're LOST, no player nothing.. how is that contract looking?

$7.Xm sucks, but it's $7.Xm with Gomez/Drury.. better than offering $6m and not having either of them..

it blows my mind.. especially for a guy entering his prime for YEARS, and another in his prime who'll probably be our next captain.

would you rather have that cap space or the players?

come on, man up.. and open the eyes.. you're a smart poster/man..

Quote:
Another good example would be Johnny Damon when he signed with the Yanks. I love the player, I love what he does, and I absolutely wanted him signed when he was signed. But the contract (in this case years) was too long for my liking, and i ***** and moan about it all the time. Yes, I love that hes here, and yeah, I wouldnt trade him because hes so integral to this team. But that doesnt take away from the fact that his contract effing sucks.
look at that.. that's the most odd and inane thing to get upset about.. you wouldn't have a guy to love and NOT want to trade had the contract been different..

Last edited by dank: 03-20-2008 at 01:54 AM.
dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Levitate

I think you also have to keep in mind that $7 mill is no longer the price for an elite player. That's gone up to $8+

I still think he's overpaid, but 3 years from now, that might actually be about right. Hard to say with how salaries are changing year to year.

And the Rangers needed some good centers. They went after the ones that were available, and there's no guarantee that a superstar center is going to become available anytime soon.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
SPG

Quote:
nope. its what everyone always says to me. For some reason people cant seem to differentiate between the contract and the player.

If you asked me in the offseason who my #1 priority would be to get on this team. My answer would be Chris Drury. If you asked me who my #2 priority would be, I would say Gomez if we cant get Drury (i assumed Nylander would be back).

I like both of these players. Both are definitely huge improvements to this team. But both are grossly overpaid. Id give em each 5-5.5 max, and for 5 years each max.

Im not saying i dont want them on my team.

Im not saying i regret them being signed.

I am saying I hate the contracts they are signed to.

I'm not going to disagree that they make more money than they're worth as players, but if the highest you go is $5.5M/year last summer, they sign elsewhere. When players are on the open market, they are going to be overpaid. There's competition for their services. If we don't sign those two guys, we wouldn't be in playoff position right now, period. Revenue from playoff games alone make up for the extra couple mil per year that the team dished out for them. Sure, it's only the first season, but so far so good.

I know you're happy they signed, just don't like their contracts, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:14 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think you also have to keep in mind that $7 mill is no longer the price for an elite player. That's gone up to $8+

I still think he's overpaid, but 3 years from now, that might actually be about right. Hard to say with how salaries are changing year to year.

And the Rangers needed some good centers. They went after the ones that were available, and there's no guarantee that a superstar center is going to become available anytime soon.
Exactly. Excellent post. Elite players are making in the $8-10M/year range now - only a year after the Drury/Gomez signings. That will go up as (if) the cap continues to. 7 years is a long time, but by the time they're in the middle of the contracts, it's not even going to be close to where the top players in the league will be in terms of yearly salary (and it shouldnt be). It will be more toward the 5.5M/year (in comparison) that Inferno thinks their worth.

Old
03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
TheHotRock

i like the Drury contract. 4 more years after this one will hardly cripple us and maybe when it ends, he'll be willing to take a bit of a hometown discount to end his career here. He's also a great player to have, I love what he brings and I love our third line so much.

gomez contract isn't good, but it doesn't suck either....we just need to get him a winger, i could see him hitting 85 points 2-3 times before his deal ends......if we get him a linemate....shanny cant keep up

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
bumrusherer

IMO, if we are consistently challenging for a Cup and players like Drury/Gomez are important poarts to the team. For me that would mean that they are worth the money that they are earning.

So on this day, they are both well worth their price and long may it continue.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Scott Gomez will be the same age at the end of his contract that Michael Nylander was at the beginning of his 4 year contract with the Capitals.Some people here wanted to give whatever it took to keep Nylander from leaving.

Chris Drury will be the same age at the end of his contract that Michael Nylander was at the beginning of his 4 year contract with the Capitals.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:51 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Problem is the Rangers might not have gotten either of them if they had not overpaid.

You cant have it both ways IMO.

They are worth their contracts because their contracts are weighted by free agency and market value.

You cant a enjoy a lobster special at a restaurant during the offseason or high market price and then complain about the amount you paid for it.

If the Rangers wanted to settle for an ok center (after Nylander walked) instead, thats who wouldnt have scored a big goal late in the game last night.

Thats just the way i see it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
i disagree.....people want to pay avery over 3 million for his "intangibles"......and there is a huge difference between the two.....look at players like hartnell and briere and what they got......i understand that you think a player of his caliber shouldnt be paid that much but when the organization sucks at developing stars for soooo long and they are trying to turn it around they are forced to bring in players, an i am glad they picked the right couple because they bring so much more then just points, which is exactly what this team is all about

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:53 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Problem is the Rangers might not have gotten either of them if they had not overpaid.

You cant have it both ways IMO.

They are worth their contracts because their contracts are weighted by free agency and market price.

You cant a enjoy a lobster special at a restaurant during the offseason or high market price and then complain about the amount you paid for it.

If the Rangers wanted to settle for an ok center (after Nylander walked) instead, thats who wouldnt have scored a big goal late in the game last night.

Thats just the way i see it.

You cant say you love them but hate their contracts because they might not be on the team right now if not for those contracts.
+1

Pretty much what I was saying in my post earlier in this thread - to a T

Old
03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
NYRBlaznBure9

Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
People are complaining about Drury and Gomez's contracts, and next season won't flinch when it takes 7+ mill to resign Jagr- who may have comparable numbers to Chris and Scott without the great defense and play all around. I'm sorry, but that a bigger problem.

I'm fine with paying Drury and Gomez both to come to this team. After last season we had no number one center (didn't know Dubinsky would step up and play this well) and in signing both of them this team was put at a serious contender level. It added real good scoring, great defensive play, the ability to win a faceoff (which as far as I can remember we haven't had an excellent face-off guy in a while), YOUTH compared to the other option at center in Nylander, more speed, etc, etc, etc. If it comes down to it after this season- I would let Avery walk before Roszy cause he isn't worth 4+ mill, and choose to not pay Jagr before dealing Gomez or Drury.

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:31 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Avery is so worth 4Mill... Please...If he keeps doing what hes doing...Reward this guy for what he has done... I don't care what u pay him just pay him....

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Like who-Marian Hossa?

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote