HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the Coyotes looking for?

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 12:44 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
What are the Coyotes looking for?

Prospect wise, what are the Coyotes looking for?

Old
02-04-2004, 07:41 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Prospect wise, what are the Coyotes looking for?

I would say defense is our weakest area; mainly because most of our better young defensemen are already on the big team. Beyond Spiller we seem to have a bunch of 5th, 6th guys with one potential wildcard in Knyazev who may yet turn into a top 3 guy (although the early reviews have not been promising).

Our depth in goal is extremely good. Our forward depth is ok. GIven the struggles of Koreis, McLeod, and Kolanos this year we might be looking to bolster our future up front (preference for a top 6 type guy though as we have plenty of big 3rd/4th line guys).

We could use an enforcer.

Old
02-04-2004, 08:09 AM
ducky

A natural goal scorer. IMO we just dont have enough talent.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Yotes03

De-fense! De-fense!

More specifically, someone who can start a breakout with a pass that's not behind or in the forwards skates and someone who can cover the front of the net consistently...if that's not too much to ask.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Gwyddbwyll

In a nutshell.. Mike Green

Although I think they will look for a goalscorer with top six potential now that Taffe and Sjostrom are graduates and then address defense in the second round.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:05 PM
PhoPhan

I personally think defense is less of a need in the future than is forward.

Look, we have Vaananen, Mara, Tanabe and Ference all ready full-time NHLers, as well as guys like Spiller, Knyazev, Callahan and Jones.

At forward, aside from Taffe and Sjostrom, there aren't really too many locks. There are hit-or-miss guys like Podlesak, McLeod, Eager, Koreis, Redenbach, etc. but no one really stands out. Our biggest need is a top tier scorer.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:15 PM
ParisSaintGermain

I agree with Yotes03 that we ideally need a future franchise defenseman. Our defensive prospects haven't really shown enough to imagine them as future first liners. But right now our D is extremely young and we need to help it straight away by getting an experienced solid stay at home first liner (option that never comes cheap so that will not happen).
Offensively, I would be happy if we could a prospect, a center probably, with great passing habilities, great vision. Someone with flair some capable to create space for the others.
I wouldn't be against a flashy player as well to help fill up Glendale Arena on a regular basis. :p

Old
02-04-2004, 02:31 PM
PhoPhan

PSG, I agree completely and disagree even more with your last post. The defenseman thing, I honestly think that with all the guys we have, one of them will emerge as a #1 eventually. What I do agree with is flash. When I said we needed a great offensive player, I meant not that we need another Shane Doan. He is a great player, probably our best this year, but we need a flashy guy. Even if the skill isn't all there, we need someone who will puts ***** in the seats, and then keep those ***** right on the edge of the seats.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:58 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
PSG, I agree completely and disagree even more with your last post. The defenseman thing, I honestly think that with all the guys we have, one of them will emerge as a #1 eventually. What I do agree with is flash. When I said we needed a great offensive player, I meant not that we need another Shane Doan. He is a great player, probably our best this year, but we need a flashy guy. Even if the skill isn't all there, we need someone who will puts ***** in the seats, and then keep those ***** right on the edge of the seats.
Thanks for your honest opinion. It looks like the top 6 projected picks of the forthcoming draft are all quite special for various reasons and I can't help myself thinking that we should maybe try to make a big effort in this year draft to move up and get one of those prospects.

Old
02-04-2004, 03:36 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
Thanks for your honest opinion. It looks like the top 6 projected picks of the forthcoming draft are all quite special for various reasons and I can't help myself thinking that we should maybe try to make a big effort in this year draft to move up and get one of those prospects.
I tend to agree that this team needs one of Ovechkin, Olesz, Wolski, Malkin or Tukonen. However, if the Coyotes need to give up too much to get a high pick like that, I say hold onto the assets until the next draft. That will be a much deeper one. If the assets really pile up, make a move for Crosby. How about Taffe, our 2004 first, our 2005 first, a random 2nd, a random prospect, and someone like Hrdina.

Old
02-04-2004, 03:51 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I tend to agree that this team needs one of Ovechkin, Olesz, Wolski, Malkin or Tukonen. However, if the Coyotes need to give up too much to get a high pick like that, I say hold onto the assets until the next draft. That will be a much deeper one. If the assets really pile up, make a move for Crosby. How about Taffe, our 2004 first, our 2005 first, a random 2nd, a random prospect, and someone like Hrdina.
As everyone else, I dream to see Crosby playing for the Coyotes. But I really don't think that the team who will have the first pick next year will ever trade it. Whatever assets we could give.
Obviously maybe many things will change with the CBA. Everything looks fairly unpredictable right now.

Old
02-04-2004, 04:17 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
As everyone else, I dream to see Crosby playing for the Coyotes. But I really don't think that the team who will have the first pick next year will ever trade it. Whatever assets we could give.
Obviously maybe many things will change with the CBA. Everything looks fairly unpredictable right now.
Crosby will be great, but never say never. The Coyotes have an awful lot of tradeable assets, and will have even more by that time. Gretzky has also gone on record praising Crosby on numerous occasions, insofar as to say Sidney will be the one to break his own records.

Old
02-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I dont see it as a particularly deep 1st round.. its beginning to remind me an awful lot of 2002 when the top 4 were outstanding and the rest mediocre with one or two lucky exceptions. I'd rather be ready to move down to get extra picks or trade it away altogether to get another project like Tanabe was.

Old
02-05-2004, 04:26 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Righteo, just curious thanks!

Closed Thread