HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Globe & Mail Article: the Keys Sucess

Old
03-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

vCash: 500
Globe & Mail Article: the Keys Sucess

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

1- Good Health
2- Kovalev rebirth
3- Powerplay
4- Hamrlik
5- Goaltending
6- Drafting successfully
7- Coaching.

That's a lot of keys to success. But the one thing that stood out to me is the articles mention of Mike Ryder's defensive play:

"Michael Ryder, a 30-goal scorer the last two seasons, was asked to improve his defensive game and has done that"

the evidence:
2007-08 -1
2006-07 -25

Since Ryder has been the subject of much scrutiny it's nice to see him get some cudos for his sound play since returning from his last trip to the press box.

way to go Mike Ryder, you just may be a better player now.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Analyzer

I must say, I hadn't realized his improvement defensively, so I owe, Ryder an apology. If he can hit 20 goals and play like that, sweet.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

one of the main reasons the Habs have a positive goal differential, and are a better team 5 on 5. I guess.

I know +/- is far from a perfect measure of defensive responsibility but the stat does give us some justification to say we're a better team. Koivu too, who may get more credit for his improvement, improved slightly less -6 in 07/08 from -21 06/07.

Both these guys produce less and have drawn the wrath of a lot of angry fans, but there's an argument to be made that they're actually playing better.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 10:35 AM
GNick42

Having the best defensemen is my #1 thing for winning. The Habs of the late '70s had the big three...little wonder they were considered the greatest team ever. Anaheim had Pronger and Neids last year, Jersey always had a good team with Stevens, Neidmayer, etc....

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Russeltown

-1 and 20 goals Ryder > -25 and 30 goals Ryder.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
^^ You think Ryder is going to score 20 goals?? He has just barely half that with only a few games left. I don't see him scoring 7 in the last 8 games

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Lone Rogue

Good article by the Globe.

It honestly shocks me how healthy we've stayed.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:33 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
^^ You think Ryder is going to score 20 goals?? He has just barely half that with only a few games left. I don't see him scoring 7 in the last 8 games
I'm expecting a hat trick on the last day of the season. Only difference is that this time it will be combined with a Price shutout.

MJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I'm expecting a hat trick on the last day of the season. Only difference is that this time it will be combined with a Price shutout.
And we can laugh the night away.. Oh how sweet it shall be.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 12:52 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Thats a great analysis.

Lets look at those point by point:

1- Good Health

*knock on wood*

We've been blessed with this so far. The minor injuries that we have seen thus far have been nicely complimented by our depth.

2- Kovalev rebirth

Bar none, our MVP. His point production has not only been over the top, but his leadership has been stellar. Evidence: when that tard the other night shot the puck into our empty net. Who steps up: Kovalev. As well, listen to him in interviews: TEAM TEAM TEAM.This man has realised that he is part of this team, this culture and this movement. Kovalev has finally realised what it means and what it takes to wear the bleu, blanc et rouge. Hats off to him!

3- Powerplay

Our one trick poney is now a multifront blitz. Our player's skill has really been the catalyst here. We can pass the puck till your head spins or lauch a shot past everyone.

4- Hamrlik

Few thought he was this good. So smart, so smoothe. He seems to relax everyone on the ice. Our D no longer plays on pins and needles.

5- Goaltending

Althought not the stellar, it has been solid when called upon. So much young talent in between the pipes must make us the envy of the league in that department. And the scary part: they can only get better.

6- Drafting successfully

One word: Timmins :bows:

7- Coaching.

And finally Carbo's team of coaches has overcome their first year butterflies and seems to be gone and they have taken this group of young men and made them a team.

Old
03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Ryder has been awesome since January, in my opinion. Yes, he's had mental laspes.. but he's been an encouraging player.. and you know at any time he could get hot and change a game with 2 or 3 goals.

He'd likely be a 30-goal scorer this year as well (at least 25) if so many didn't pass him on the depth chart.

Ryder scored 17 goals in the PP last year compared to 1 this season. So PP time is definitely a factor in less goal-scoring.

Also, the fact that he was scratched for 10 games is another contributing factor.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote