HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here comes Picard

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2008, 08:32 AM
  #76
cbjpointman
It begins here
 
cbjpointman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Picard is liability in almost every facet of his game...he looks so overmatched out there.

Don't agree with this. The kid has 5 mins TOI this YEAR at the NHL level. Last night his line w/ MacKenzie & Lindstrom played with energy & intensity. They carried the play at least 3 or 4 shifts. They got a nice cheer from the crowd after one shift, because they were the only line that didn't suck consistently.

Besides Nash being a beast, this was the only bright spot last night. I just don't think you can claim him a liability after only one look this year.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 09:11 AM
  #77
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjpointman View Post
Don't agree with this. The kid has 5 mins TOI this YEAR at the NHL level. Last night his line w/ MacKenzie & Lindstrom played with energy & intensity. They carried the play at least 3 or 4 shifts. They got a nice cheer from the crowd after one shift, because they were the only line that didn't suck consistently.
That's what I EXPECT from kids from Syracuse trying to make a name for themselves, but it takes more than energy to make it in "the show." Hence the five minutes of ice time.

I agree that the CBJ owes it to themselves to give Picard a longer look before deciding on his RFA status.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 10:11 PM
  #78
Mogilny89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Picard is liability in almost every facet of his game...he looks so overmatched out there. Brule and him both, they are just look like fish out of water in the NHL...

This is the last rodeo for Picard guys, he'll get a few games to show Howson and Hitch something, then its back to Syracuse for the playoffs in the AHL then who knows what the future holds after this seaon for Picard and the Bluejackets. My guess, he won't see him in a Bluejackets uni ever again after this season. They might give Brule another season to see if he can finally come around, but Picard's upside is virtually gone, he's setlled into what he will be if he ever makes it to the NHL fulltime, and this team has more talented guys that do the same thing ahead of him.
I think you're totally off-base. First of all, take a look back at some of your NHL drafts. The 1st rounders are, generally speaking, full-time NHLers, save for your total bust here or there. But most NHL teams have, what, 10-14 1st rounders on their team...obviously not all playing on the 1st line. For example, Manny Malhotra - 7th overall. Now 2nd in NHL face-off percentage, and a 3rd/4th line center of value on any NHL team.

If you're saying Picard is not going to be an 35-40 goal scorer, fine, I'd agree. But to assume his NHL career is over before it starts is simply unfair. He's 22 years old and just coming back from tearing both ligaments in his knee...and he still got the call-up. So maybe he's not your 1st line winger, but I think if you ask any NHL scout they'd tell you Alex Picard will be an effective NHL player in due time.

And he by no means looked out of place vs. Detroit. He threw a couple major body checks and was full of energy and speed. I really think it's premature to say Picard is a bust. Think big picture, when this team is made up of 3+ lines of draft picks. You're going to need someone to fill these spots, and hopefully, they are all former 1st rounders - thats the creme of the crop! 1st rounders dont mean NHL star, 1st rounders are will-be NHLers. Picard is a will-be NHLer...we just don't know when he will be. NOW?? Good work Alex, f the nay-sayers.

Mogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 01:44 AM
  #79
Wisnutsen21
Registered User
 
Wisnutsen21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus
Country: Canada
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
i like picard but his existance is pointless with the emergance of jared boll

Wisnutsen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 01:54 AM
  #80
KiwiFlamesFan
Registered User
 
KiwiFlamesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
He wears 21 in Syracuse, so I will guess 21.
Thanks

KiwiFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 06:34 AM
  #81
Macster
Registered User
 
Macster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny89 View Post
I think you're totally off-base. First of all, take a look back at some of your NHL drafts. The 1st rounders are, generally speaking, full-time NHLers, save for your total bust here or there. But most NHL teams have, what, 10-14 1st rounders on their team...obviously not all playing on the 1st line. For example, Manny Malhotra - 7th overall. Now 2nd in NHL face-off percentage, and a 3rd/4th line center of value on any NHL team.

If you're saying Picard is not going to be an 35-40 goal scorer, fine, I'd agree. But to assume his NHL career is over before it starts is simply unfair. He's 22 years old and just coming back from tearing both ligaments in his knee...and he still got the call-up. So maybe he's not your 1st line winger, but I think if you ask any NHL scout they'd tell you Alex Picard will be an effective NHL player in due time.

And he by no means looked out of place vs. Detroit. He threw a couple major body checks and was full of energy and speed. I really think it's premature to say Picard is a bust. Think big picture, when this team is made up of 3+ lines of draft picks. You're going to need someone to fill these spots, and hopefully, they are all former 1st rounders - thats the creme of the crop! 1st rounders dont mean NHL star, 1st rounders are will-be NHLers. Picard is a will-be NHLer...we just don't know when he will be. NOW?? Good work Alex, f the nay-sayers.
Great post.

You and I are completely in agreement here.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 07:25 AM
  #82
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny89 View Post
I think you're totally off-base. First of all, take a look back at some of your NHL drafts. The 1st rounders are, generally speaking, full-time NHLers, save for your total bust here or there. But most NHL teams have, what, 10-14 1st rounders on their team...obviously not all playing on the 1st line. For example, Manny Malhotra - 7th overall. Now 2nd in NHL face-off percentage, and a 3rd/4th line center of value on any NHL team.

If you're saying Picard is not going to be an 35-40 goal scorer, fine, I'd agree. But to assume his NHL career is over before it starts is simply unfair. He's 22 years old and just coming back from tearing both ligaments in his knee...and he still got the call-up. So maybe he's not your 1st line winger, but I think if you ask any NHL scout they'd tell you Alex Picard will be an effective NHL player in due time.

And he by no means looked out of place vs. Detroit. He threw a couple major body checks and was full of energy and speed. I really think it's premature to say Picard is a bust. Think big picture, when this team is made up of 3+ lines of draft picks. You're going to need someone to fill these spots, and hopefully, they are all former 1st rounders - thats the creme of the crop! 1st rounders dont mean NHL star, 1st rounders are will-be NHLers. Picard is a will-be NHLer...we just don't know when he will be. NOW?? Good work Alex, f the nay-sayers.
Comin' straight from the underground.
(for you N.W.A. fans)

Well said, M89 - give Pic a chance.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:08 AM
  #83
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOtollefsen View Post
i like picard but his existance is pointless with the emergance of jared boll
I don't agree with that.
IF Picard plays up to his potential and past numbers...he's a bigger scoring threat and playmaker than Boll. And scoring is what we need.

I'd like to see both Brassard and Picard have another year in the AHL.
Hitch agrees, as he said recently, we need to let our AHL players play in the AHL.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
  #84
jore
Registered User
 
jore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
A year ago, we had this former first round pick that fans wanted to get rid of. He was a sure bust, most of the members wanted to trade him for any willing team, for a bucket of pucks or any other offer.

Today the kid is second best scorer in the team. He's 2nd on time on ice for forwards in the club. After a summer with Hitchcock, the young man is having by far the best season of his career.

Now we have this former first round pick, taken a year later than the other guy. Fans want to get rid of him claiming he has no future in NHL, no trade value etc. How about we give him a summer with Hitch, and see how good he is a year from now?

We're thin on talent but have plenty of pucks.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 06:31 PM
  #85
cbjpointman
It begins here
 
cbjpointman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny89 View Post
I think you're totally off-base. First of all, take a look back at some of your NHL drafts. The 1st rounders are, generally speaking, full-time NHLers, save for your total bust here or there. But most NHL teams have, what, 10-14 1st rounders on their team...obviously not all playing on the 1st line. For example, Manny Malhotra - 7th overall. Now 2nd in NHL face-off percentage, and a 3rd/4th line center of value on any NHL team.

If you're saying Picard is not going to be an 35-40 goal scorer, fine, I'd agree. But to assume his NHL career is over before it starts is simply unfair. He's 22 years old and just coming back from tearing both ligaments in his knee...and he still got the call-up. So maybe he's not your 1st line winger, but I think if you ask any NHL scout they'd tell you Alex Picard will be an effective NHL player in due time.

And he by no means looked out of place vs. Detroit. He threw a couple major body checks and was full of energy and speed. I really think it's premature to say Picard is a bust. Think big picture, when this team is made up of 3+ lines of draft picks. You're going to need someone to fill these spots, and hopefully, they are all former 1st rounders - thats the creme of the crop! 1st rounders dont mean NHL star, 1st rounders are will-be NHLers. Picard is a will-be NHLer...we just don't know when he will be. NOW?? Good work Alex, f the nay-sayers.
Spot on Mogilny. Let the young man play & develop into an NHL player. Where he lands is up to him.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
  #86
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Picard is just a victim of the unrealistic expectations players like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Staal, etc. ect. have set in the eyes of fans.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 07:58 PM
  #87
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny89 View Post
The 1st rounders are, generally speaking, full-time NHLers, save for your total bust here or there. But most NHL teams have, what, 10-14 1st rounders on their team...

If you're saying Picard is not going to be an 35-40 goal scorer, fine, I'd agree. But to assume his NHL career is over before it starts is simply unfair. He's 22 years old and just coming back from tearing both ligaments in his knee...and he still got the call-up.

Picard is a will-be NHLer...we just don't know when he will be. NOW?? Good work Alex, f the nay-sayers.
The first rounders are full time NHLers? The only difference is the first round is the ONLY round people associate with Draft Busts, everything there after is considered a "crapshoot" or if the player exceeds expectations, they are called "steals" By that means, there are plenty of first round busts.

I'm not saying Picard should have been or I assumed he'd be a 35-40 goal scorer... But this is a guy that put up the most goals in his draft year, yes more than Ovechkin, Malkin... I'd say if even a quarter of that transferred over to the NHL, I'd be fine with it. Picard scored somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 goals is his draft year....

Picard is injury prone, if that has significantly derailed his development, or slowed it down fine, but he's shown nothing of any value to this team in the future now with Players like Boll and Sestito and Pineault on the horizon. He got the callup pretty much for injury reasons to Boll and Fritsche, they didn't call him up as a replacement for a healthy player who hasn't been getting it done.

This is a link to the 04 first round....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html

I counted about 16 guys that haven't established themselves as NHLers yet.... 6 in the top twelve., Including Picard. I can still remember stilling and watching thr 04 draft and when the jackets traded down, I though, ok what's Doug up to? When Picard's name got called, The first thing I said was "Why?"....


Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 03-24-2008 at 08:22 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:44 PM
  #88
Mogilny89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I counted about 16 guys that haven't established themselves as NHLers yet.... 6 in the top twelve., Including Picard. I can still remember stilling and watching thr 04 draft and when the jackets traded down, I though, ok what's Doug up to? When Picard's name got called, The first thing I said was "Why?"....
Fair enough, trading down was probably not the best move on our former GM's part. However, if you're counting 16 guys who haven't established themselves, then one of two things is true: either it was just a weak draft year, or, more likely, it's probably WAY too early to be having this conversation about a 22 year old.

I see your point about the drafting, no one would argue that the Jackets were stellar in this department in their first 4 years. But no point in crying over it - we still have a great prospect on our hands, who should crack the NHL line-up full time in the next 2 years.

Sidebar- Watching the game tonight, I really enjoyed seeing the young guys play. I mean, at this point in the season we all know it's an audition, but even still, I really thought they brought a lot of energy. I think we're very close to turning the corner with these prospects and it may be time to make some room for these guys. I say retool, and send Brule back down, bring the more seasoned AHLers in, like Lindstrom (love him), Picard, Rome, Methot, etc. Get the guys in here that have paid their dues and we may have more poise as a group, which is one thing I think these young players lack, especially when having not spent any significant time in Cuse.

Mogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:49 PM
  #89
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,034
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
The first rounders are full time NHLers? The only difference is the first round is the ONLY round people associate with Draft Busts, everything there after is considered a "crapshoot" or if the player exceeds expectations, they are called "steals" By that means, there are plenty of first round busts.

I'm not saying Picard should have been or I assumed he'd be a 35-40 goal scorer... But this is a guy that put up the most goals in his draft year, yes more than Ovechkin, Malkin... I'd say if even a quarter of that transferred over to the NHL, I'd be fine with it. Picard scored somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 goals is his draft year....

Picard is injury prone, if that has significantly derailed his development, or slowed it down fine, but he's shown nothing of any value to this team in the future now with Players like Boll and Sestito and Pineault on the horizon. He got the callup pretty much for injury reasons to Boll and Fritsche, they didn't call him up as a replacement for a healthy player who hasn't been getting it done.

This is a link to the 04 first round....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html

I counted about 16 guys that haven't established themselves as NHLers yet.... 6 in the top twelve., Including Picard. I can still remember stilling and watching thr 04 draft and when the jackets traded down, I though, ok what's Doug up to? When Picard's name got called, The first thing I said was "Why?"....
It'd be nice if we had Radulov right now and Nashville with Picard.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:04 AM
  #90
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
It'd be nice if we had Radulov right now and Nashville with Picard.
Fun fact: Zherdev and Radulov are great friends, too. That probably would've helped last year, eh?

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:06 AM
  #91
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,034
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
It would help immensely, I don't think he has a friend now without Svitov or Fedorov. It does make a difference having a friend on a team.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:19 AM
  #92
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
we should've just stayed where we were and picked.... Trading down and still getting a guy that can't cut it does nothing for us....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
  #93
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
It would help immensely, I don't think he has a friend now without Svitov or Fedorov. It does make a difference having a friend on a team.
Nah, he does. He and Fedorov weren't even great friends, really. Nik and Chimera are actually pretty good friends now.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
  #94
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,856
vCash: 500
Picard=3rd or 4th line grinder....dime a dozen.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
  #95
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
we should've just stayed where we were and picked.... Trading down and still getting a guy that can't cut it does nothing for us....
That Fedorov deal was pretty one sided. We could have traded for a pick at the very least. Feds has what, 6 points in 13 games for the caps? We had other offers, meh...

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 04:10 PM
  #96
X0ssbar
 
X0ssbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ...on a star!
Country: United States
Posts: 13,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
That Fedorov deal was pretty one sided. We could have traded for a pick at the very least. Feds has what, 6 points in 13 games for the caps? We had other offers, meh...
We essentially got a 2nd round pick for him. Most Washington fans don't even have this guy back in their lineup for next year.

The bottom line is that Feds just wasn't worth much. Its not like Howson said nah, keep your first round pick, we want this dude from Notre Dame. There is no doubt in my mind he took the best offer out there.

I thought he'd be worth more but was wrong. I know I haven't lost an ounce of sleep over the return we got for him and quite frankly I think the split was admirable and handled well by both parties. I wish him luck.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 04:17 PM
  #97
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
We essentially got a 2nd round pick for him. Most Washington fans don't even have this guy back in their lineup for next year.

The bottom line is that Feds just wasn't worth much. Its not like Howson said nah, keep your first round pick, we want this dude from Notre Dame. There is no doubt in my mind he took the best offer out there.

I thought he'd be worth more but was wrong. I know I haven't lost an ounce of sleep over the return we got for him and quite frankly I think the split was admirable and handled well by both parties. I wish him luck.
Well, don't get me wrong, we kind of needed to get Feds for something, but I think Howsen just traded for someone he intended on drafting over this past summer, I think he overlooked possible better deals. I know Detroit was interested, despite Babs not wanting him, but nothing was settled. That being said, I look at this trade deadline as being a bust all together really. Even as sellers, we didn't get much to be admired in return.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 04:30 PM
  #98
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
The Detroit papers said that Howson asked for a first from Holland and Ken didn't bite.

I blame everything on Bob Gainey, though. Had he not tried to sneak Bushman down to the AHL before the lockout he never would have been on waivers, never would have picked by Doug, never would have been dealt for Fedorov.


Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:49 PM
  #99
Muleskinner
Registered User
 
Muleskinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Marching to the sea
Country: United States
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Picard=3rd or 4th line grinder....dime a dozen.
Yah, and thats all he is being allowed to be right now. It could be that that is all he will ever be, but how can anyone tell with the ice time he is getting? He is getting played much like Shelley was. His line skates out and as soon as there is a stop in play he is back out again. I could see this in a way with Shelley because he could be a liability out there, but why even call Picard up if he isn't going to get the chance to show anything? Heck, if he is up let him play on a line that is getting some time so you can see what he has. It almost seems like they are casting him as a grinder before seeing if he might be more. Could he do any worse than Brule right now?

Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:07 PM
  #100
X-SHARKIE
Registered User
 
X-SHARKIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Janesville Wisconsin
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
I was able to see Picard this year with Syracuse.

On the positive side .. his skating seems to no longer be an issue .. sure he's awkward looking with that hunched over stride and galloping first few steps .. but he gets were he needs to be without issue.

He's a gritty and combatitive player .. good away from the puck, and is willing to pay the price to score .. quick shot as well.

But! He will likely ultimately never amount to a top six winger because he lacks poise with the puck, and seems to brain cramp with the puck. I question his anticipation and hockey sense. Not a savvy player by any means and some times the game moves too fast for him.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.