HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

how much is backman worth

Old
03-20-2008, 05:36 PM
gmanwrx

vCash: 500
on a given 1.5 to 2. million year.

only if he starts to move forward with the puck. he is alway moving backwards with the puck in our zone.
can't make a good 1st pass out of the zone skating backwards or flat footed.

renney can help him with that. 2mil max.

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
I'd take Backman over Mara any day of the week.
And he gets to play another season before we will have reason to discuss a new contract.
no way, Mara does his job, hits once and a while, and is a vet, he's a 5th D man at best but when he's healthy, Backmans going to become real good friends with Prucha, HOllywood, and Struds, maybe they can start a new band.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
otto1219

i know this point has already been made, but lets judge his performance based on playing with anyone BUT strudwick.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
mstraka82

rather would have mara over Backman solely for the slapshot

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:37 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
dont listen to people on this board.....please before you judge him watch a game....he led the defence in TOI last game and was playing both pk and pp.....he has looked better and better every single game and he positionaly sound, unlike mara most of the time....the only thing he isnt is overly physicla but i for one, would rather have that than a player who takes himself out of position hitting
Yes don't listen to the poeple on this board who all watch every game. Only listen to hockeyviper87, as his is the only opinion that should be taken seriously, apparently.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 07:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Yes don't listen to the poeple on this board who all watch every game. Only listen to hockeyviper87, as his is the only opinion that should be taken seriously, apparently.
yea...because thats exactly what i said.......haha

i said dont listen to anyone on this board...to a fan from another team who said he sounds like he looks the same as he did in st. louis....however i said he should watch one of the games before making a judgement on a player by pure opinions from fans(some who have experience in hockey and some who dont).....now......please tell me why that is such a bad thing.....

but hey, if everyone just wants to take my opinions as law, im good with that

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:32 PM
otto1219

all i know is according to eastside hockey manager, defensemen peak between 27-35.....

and how old is mr. backman? thats right my friends, 27.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
no way, Mara does his job, hits once and a while, and is a vet, he's a 5th D man at best but when he's healthy, Backmans going to become real good friends with Prucha, HOllywood, and Struds, maybe they can start a new band.

agreed.. backman takes way to many penalties.. and plays scared.. i'd resign malik before i thought about backman at this time (meanin today).. but im open to give him some time.. let the playoffs show what he can do.. maybe he'll turn into scott stevens

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:10 PM
nyr7andcounting

Nothing, assuming we keep everyone else except Malik. I think Mara and Strudwick are both better. Even if we let them go I'd rather pay 1-2 million for a different defenseman this summer. Let Backman walk

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35 View Post
mara hits and is a better point man on the pp than backman. i'm not saying he hasn't improved but backman is scared sh!tless to get hit, mara takes the body and will drop the gloves when necessary. backman is not a physical presence and does not scare anyone from driving to the net or go in to the corner. mara should take his spot.
A physical presence and intimidation are nice, but not essential -- Lidstrom is living proof of that.

I think a more legitimate concern is Backman putting himself in a poor position where he then has to take a bad penalty to recover. Though Mara does that as well.
I see them as fairly equivalent right now, with both having potential to perform better than we've seen them do.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 04:48 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
all i know is according to eastside hockey manager, defensemen peak between 27-35.....

and how old is mr. backman? thats right my friends, 27.
Excellent, that also means Strudwick should nicely be hitting his prime any day now at the ripe age of 32.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:48 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
yea...because thats exactly what i said.......haha

i said dont listen to anyone on this board...to a fan from another team who said he sounds like he looks the same as he did in st. louis....however i said he should watch one of the games before making a judgement on a player by pure opinions from fans(some who have experience in hockey and some who dont).....now......please tell me why that is such a bad thing.....

but hey, if everyone just wants to take my opinions as law, im good with that

sorry that was too funny to pass up

Old
03-21-2008, 08:01 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Nothing, assuming we keep everyone else except Malik. I think Mara and Strudwick are both better. Even if we let them go I'd rather pay 1-2 million for a different defenseman this summer. Let Backman walk
Now you're just being silly. Oh and Backman is signed through next season so we can't just let him walk.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:49 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
sorry that was too funny to pass up
lol....np....i just dont like people making blind opinions and then im sure he was going to spread it to his board.....

Old
03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
avery16*

i think people are judging him on his first game, it was rough.. the hardest position is defense in hockey.. he is obviously adjust to the rangers system.. the rangers defense are all about controlling the puck and not throwing it up the boards, they are all about making a solid pass out of the zone to their fowards, who are skilled enough to get the job done.. backman is all about just getting the puck out, and not using his d partner, but he is slowly coming around.. and the way the rangers play, is going to help backman.. backman will be a solid player for the rangers next season, let him adjust.. and he has been, each game he is getting better and better.. you also have to keep in mind, they keep changing his partner alot, and most recently his best play he has been playing with strudwick.. i like strudwick alot, but i think who ever plays with him has to keep their game more defensive because they know if struds is beat, something bad is going to happen if they arent there to bail him out..

rosival-malik
tyutin-giradi
staal-backman

i like mara, but he has been out, can he seriously jump in a be more effective then backman? and with playoffs comes injuries, always nice to have paul mara as a 7th d man.. i mean look at the Sabres the past two years, they had to use borderline ahl players in game 7s.. the rangers are looking good right now, the depth is there, and that is nothing to complain about..

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Now you're just being silly. Oh and Backman is signed through next season so we can't just let him walk.
I'd take Struds over Backman as well, we can trade him or demote him if need be.

Last edited by In The Flesh: 03-21-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old
03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Okay, I'm sorry, but if you're claiming that Backman is playing badly recently, you ARE clinging to your first impression from the first game or two. I knew this would happen which is why I started a whole thread on it a while back.

Look - he had the most TOI (25:46) of any player on the team not named Lundqvist against the Debbies. In a game where the team gave up ONE goal. That is indicative not only of his play, but also Renney's appraisal of his play. Those of you who are slamming him, please take those facts and explain how they fit into your arguments. Seriously - I'm genuinely curious how you can logically be claiming he's not worth a bag of pucks/should be sat for Struds/etc. given those circumstances.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Okay, I'm sorry, but if you're claiming that Backman is playing badly recently, you ARE clinging to your first impression from the first game or two. I knew this would happen which is why I started a whole thread on it a while back.

Look - he had the most TOI (25:46) of any player on the team not named Lundqvist against the Debbies. In a game where the team gave up ONE goal. That is indicative not only of his play, but also Renney's appraisal of his play. Those of you who are slamming him, please take those facts and explain how they fit into your arguments. Seriously - I'm genuinely curious how you can logically be claiming he's not worth a bag of pucks/should be sat for Struds/etc. given those circumstances.

perfectly said.....i agree 100%

Old
03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Poti = Malik = Backman

Backman +2008/09 = Ranger's whipping boy on defence.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:40 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

I didn't say he wasn't worth a bag of pucks. I said he was worth a bag of pucks.

Old
03-21-2008, 08:20 PM
blue2noise

Okay I am eating my hat with Backman tonight. Nice setup of Dawes and a nice game so far.

It's good to be wrong right now

Old
03-21-2008, 08:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Poti = Malik = Backman

Backman +2008/09 = Ranger's whipping boy on defence.
dead-on accurate man.....good defensively, 3 assists when the team needed em.....your exact.....lets see everyone eat their words....

Old
03-21-2008, 08:51 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I'd take Struds over Backman as well, we can trade him or demote him if need be.
taking a bite of crow right..........now

Old
03-21-2008, 08:54 PM
NHLhockey1234

He's worth the 3 assists that brought us back to life

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 08:54 PM
blue2noise

Any other players that you guys would like me to motivate?