HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

eating right

Old
03-22-2008, 04:46 PM
NYR89

vCash: 500
eating right

i'm looking for some tips on how i should appraoch eating ... i play hockey every sunday morning at 730 for about 2 hours...now i'm wondering wether it's better for me to eat before/after or both...and then what to eat...i'm trying to cut down on weight and not gain anymore

thanks guys

NYR89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 04:55 PM
XX
He's a good guy

You definitely need to eat beforehand and after. Since it's so early in the morning, you should eat something that absorbs slowly. Or drink a protein shake in milk.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
MikeD

I sure wouldnt suggest a milk protein shake before any ice time. Proteins arent that redily available as an energy source and unless its skim milk the fat content will slow oxygen delivery to the muscle cells as well as reduce the rate that waste products are removed. This leads to cramping, fatigue and soreness from lactic acid build up. At the very least you might just end up making a mess on the bench or ice when the concoction comes back up. The following article is goalie specific but I feel it still applies to the out player for the most part.

Post work out is when the body is at its fastest as far as replacing energy stores in the liver and muscles. The 1-1.5 hour window after is a good time to get carbs back in. A skim choc milk is a good starter. Given your desirte to drop some weight you might want to drop the fat precentage a tad bit or at least make sure its the "good" variety.

Edit: Added final page that I forgot in original post

Last edited by MikeD: 03-23-2008 at 04:30 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 02:29 AM
lotus

MikeD you're like the wikipedia of everything hockey playing. I wish they made you in pocket sizes. I can't count the number of time's I've saved images of stuff you've posted, good stuff. Thanks ;P

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
MikeD

At 5' 7" I think all my Sons would describe me as pocket sized! lol Just sharing the info I have searched out over the last 46-ish years of playing this great game. This site has a very large group of people who share thier knowledge and experience in a friendly manner so it makes it very easy to also participate.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote