HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

habs goaltender

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2004, 11:31 AM
phil76

vCash: 500
habs goaltender

with olivier michaud performing in hamilton

i would guess they would be no place for garon im mtl
mtl would keep theo #1 and michaud #3

when would be the right time to trade garon
so he can have a bright future as a #1
to another team
hes already 26

give me your comments

Old
02-03-2004, 12:18 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil76

to another team
hes already 26

give me your comments
I'd keep Garon for another two seasons before even thinking of trading him. His stock value will increase over time. Right now he's hardly worth anything, because he's still an unproven backup.

Old
02-03-2004, 02:00 PM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
For once, I am in favour of dealing a player.

It's Garon's time to shine, he needs to go somewhere where he can play.

and personally, despite what everyone thinks, I believe he has good value around the league and could get something interesting in return.

The amount Theodore is playing, I am perfectly comfortable having Eric Fichaud as our back-up...I have read some reports that have said he deserves and has the ability to be a backup with almost any team in the league.

I can see a scenario like this happening...

To PHI: Jocelyn Thibault
To CHI: Mathieu Garon, (whatever draft pick MTL has to add to even it up..3rd?)
To MTL: Michal Handzus

Old
02-03-2004, 02:19 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise

It's Garon's time to shine, he needs to go somewhere where he can play.

and personally, despite what everyone thinks, I believe he has good value around the league and could get something interesting in return.

The amount Theodore is playing, I am perfectly comfortable having Eric Fichaud as our back-up...I have read some reports that have said he deserves and has the ability to be a backup with almost any team in the league.

If Philly were crazy enough to do Handuz for Thibault, Chicago would probably just keep Handuz. Handuz is worth way more than Garon and a 3rd...

Old
02-03-2004, 02:49 PM
gohabsgo

Send a message via ICQ to gohabsgo Send a message via MSN to gohabsgo Send a message via Yahoo to gohabsgo
Hey now, Garon's not having a terrible season. Here's his line:

10 GP
587:60 MINS
4-5-1-0 record
23 GA
257 SA
0.911 SAVE%
2.35 GAA

...not that he should be expected to sparkle every night, but that's not a bad line. He hasn't had much playing time, what with being behind Theo and all.

As far as trading him... no, I agree with All-Star that they should keep him around for awhile yet, to see what happens.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Corey

There's no one on the system ready to step into Garon's place as a backup to Théodore. Gainey wouldn't let him go unless it was in a multiplayer trade that brought back another NHL-ready goaltender.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:18 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
goaltending is not something we need to look at
we are all set in that area

Garon would probably be a starter in a lot of teams rotations but here he is a great goaltender being brought along slowly but still good enough to step in if Theo misses time and Montreal would not be that concerned about Garon's play

It's great to have the time to leave Michaud and Damphousse in Hamilton and not have to bring them up too soon out of need. A situation some other teams do not have the luxury of.

No player or line is untouchable but this situation should be.

Old
02-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Habs4ever

Mochaud is 20 years old and he still has three years before

passing Waiver wire, atleast let him dominate AHL, before even thinking about bringing him over, I'd say he has some stiff competetion in coming years with Probably one of Halak or Purrula coming over they both could surprise lot of people, and Michaud had terrible season in minors last year, Knowing he hasn't been consistent enough I would hold on to Garon as long as possible.

Old
02-03-2004, 04:19 PM
habsfan4life

For once it seems like I agree with the majority of the posters on this board. Garon should not be moved, he's developing just fine under the wing of Theodore in Montreal.

His progress in the last year has been a great accomplishment. He's gone from an above average AHL quality goaltender that lacked the confidence required to play in the NHL to AHL all-star goalie with confidence and now he's arguably one of the best backup goalies in the league.

Garon is the perfect guy to have behind Theodore right now and at least until next years trade deadline (whenever that is). When he's in the habs goal, our team is still confident in his abilities to keep them in the game.

I love this young french tandem... I hope that team management agrees with us

Old
02-03-2004, 04:51 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Trade Garon? Sure, then if Theo gets hurt we can watch our season go down the crapper. A Fichaud/Michaud combo would really kick ass, while having no one for the AHL, since Damphousse is out till March something.

Garon's value is not that high, imo, but if he continues to improve his game, he can be a very good goalie. Lets have two good goalies, instead. Crazy idea, but worth a try no?

Old
02-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan4life
For once it seems like I agree with the majority of the posters on this board. Garon should not be moved, he's developing just fine under the wing of Theodore in Montreal.

His progress in the last year has been a great accomplishment. He's gone from an above average AHL quality goaltender that lacked the confidence required to play in the NHL to AHL all-star goalie with confidence and now he's arguably one of the best backup goalies in the league.

Garon is the perfect guy to have behind Theodore right now and at least until next years trade deadline (whenever that is). When he's in the habs goal, our team is still confident in his abilities to keep them in the game.

I love this young french tandem... I hope that team management agrees with us
I agree I would not deal Garon, I would actually say that if Michaud ends up just as good as Garon was in the AHL and that some how due to injurries he would prove he can handle games in the NHL (that would be like two seasons down the road) then I would consider trading a goalie. I would actually consider trading Theo before trading Garon. Cause lets not forget that Theo also comes with is increasing price tag.

Old
02-03-2004, 07:28 PM
habsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
I agree I would not deal Garon, I would actually say that if Michaud ends up just as good as Garon was in the AHL and that some how due to injurries he would prove he can handle games in the NHL (that would be like two seasons down the road) then I would consider trading a goalie. I would actually consider trading Theo before trading Garon. Cause lets not forget that Theo also comes with is increasing price tag.
If Theordore can put his consistency issues behind him and play consistent hockey, I believe he is the type of goalie to build around. Even if his stats leveled out to something slightly worse than his current level of play, he would still be one of the best in the game.

I think that it would be cool to see Theodore change to no. 33 to signify the end of ten bad years of hockey. Theodore just may be the first goalie to bring us back le Coupe de Stanley (bare with me if that was wrong... I've forgotten most of my french!).

edit: The point of that ramble... Theodore comes with an increased price tag becuase he is that damn good. If he has some longevity in him, he could be a lifetime habber... wouldn't it be nice?

Old
02-03-2004, 11:01 PM
phil76

so basicaly yeah lets keep him and ruin his hockey career
he his already 26
so if we wait until theo contract end wich im sure they will sign him another contract so garon will be ready for retirement
without having play a #1 role in team
how selfish of everybody

Old
02-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
If Philly were crazy enough to do Handuz for Thibault, Chicago would probably just keep Handuz. Handuz is worth way more than Garon and a 3rd...
wtf Thibault is among the 10 best goalie of the NHL .

Old
02-04-2004, 01:05 AM
habsfan4life

Quote:
so basicaly yeah lets keep him and ruin his hockey career
he his already 26
so if we wait until theo contract end wich im sure they will sign him another contract so garon will be ready for retirement
without having play a #1 role in team
how selfish of everybody
Ruin his career? how so? more like... MAKE HIS CAREER!

He's gotta start somewhere and that somewhere is under the wing of Jose with the great goaltending coaches in the province of Quebec and with the Montreal Canadiens.

We aren't ruining his career by keeping him in the no.2 role for the forseeable future, we are making the Habs a better team and him a better player.

If Garon continues progressing, Montreal wont be able to afford keeping him and Theodore and no.1 and no.2 ... whether he can increase his value that much is purely in his hands now.

If Theo goes down with an injury, Garon could be the next five million man... that's how Theodore got his chance to earn seven digits!

Last edited by habsfan4life: 02-04-2004 at 01:10 AM.
Old
02-04-2004, 02:01 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Washington wants to cut salary so Garon would fit in well there. We don't need Kolzig so it'd probably be a 3 way deal.

Washington gets: Garon 2nd round pick (MTL)
Montreal gets: Tanguay or Handzus
Philadelphia or Colorado gets: Kolzig

You could interchange Philly or Colorado with any team that might want a goalie before the deadline... Vancouver, Calgary etc...

Imagine Tanguay-Ribiero-Zednik

Old
02-04-2004, 03:04 AM
CHareth

Quote:

to another team
hes already 26

give me your comments
I think the right time to trade Garon is whenever another GM can offer a valuable return that fulfills a need for this team. Management does not owe Garon a career as a starter in this league, be it with this team or another, and I would certainly not support any trade significantly motivated on that basis. Team first.

As far as there being "no place for Garon in Montreal" you've put Theodore at #1 and Michaud at #3, so it seems to me that the perfect place for Garon in Montreal is at #2. There's nothing wrong with that, he's continuing to learn as a backup, and it's certainly debatable whether Garon is even ready to supplant a bunch of #1 goalies on other teams. Unless he is asking for a trade or is otherwise a distraction for the team, and I have neither seen nor heard an indication that such is the case, I am not in favor of making any trades just because of a particular individual.

Old
02-04-2004, 03:21 AM
phil76

Quote:

He's gotta start somewhere and that somewhere is under the wing of Jose with the great goaltending coaches in the province of Quebec and with the Montreal Canadiens.

We aren't ruining his career by keeping him in the no.2 role for the forseeable future, we are making the Habs a better team and him a better player.

If Garon continues progressing, Montreal wont be able to afford keeping him and Theodore and no.1 and no.2 ... whether he can increase his value that much is purely in his hands now.

If Theo goes down with an injury, Garon could be the next five million man... that's how Theodore got his chance to earn seven digits!

yes but by the time we keep him he will always be a #2
so if i look at the future tha you want to keep him forever
so he will be #1 at what 32-35 yrs old

how pathetic to start a #1 career at 32-35yrs old
after that between 5-8 yrs beeing #1

it sucks as a career
look at all the #1 the have play at least more then 10 yrs at #1

and you want garon to play less then 8yrs at #1

the guy as the potential. i would trade him so he can have his chance at beeing #1 before its to late

Old
02-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I am puzzled by some people responses. Personally I think that if a good trade is to come along then I would pull the trigger. As long as Theo is around Garon is never going to be the #1 goalie and honestly that's the way I like it. Theo is the type of goalie that is going to play 60-65 games a year and maybe more and I think that Fichaud is perfectly capable of handling 10-15 games against weaker teams.

Of course people will say "But what if Theo gets hurt..." well injuries are part of the game and are unpredictable so to keep Garon on that condition would be a waste of an asset. And that's all I see Garon as to this team, an asset. Not an asset for the future but rather as one of our trading prospects.

I don't expect him to be dealt this season but I also wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season in Montreal, and I would actually like to see him go and get a chance somewhere else rather then sit on our bench.

Old
02-04-2004, 03:36 AM
phil76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
I am puzzled by some people responses. Personally I think that if a good trade is to come along then I would pull the trigger. As long as Theo is around Garon is never going to be the #1 goalie and honestly that's the way I like it. Theo is the type of goalie that is going to play 60-65 games a year and maybe more and I think that Fichaud is perfectly capable of handling 10-15 games against weaker teams.

Of course people will say "But what if Theo gets hurt..." well injuries are part of the game and are unpredictable so to keep Garon on that condition would be a waste of an asset. And that's all I see Garon as to this team, an asset. Not an asset for the future but rather as one of our trading prospects.

I don't expect him to be dealt this season but I also wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season in Montreal, and I would actually like to see him go and get a chance somewhere else rather then sit on our bench.

finnaly somebody thinks like me

Old
02-04-2004, 06:24 AM
gohabsgo

Send a message via ICQ to gohabsgo Send a message via MSN to gohabsgo Send a message via Yahoo to gohabsgo
Quote:
yes but by the time we keep him he will always be a #2
so if i look at the future tha you want to keep him forever
so he will be #1 at what 32-35 yrs old

how pathetic to start a #1 career at 32-35yrs old
after that between 5-8 yrs beeing #1

it sucks as a career
Tell that to Manny Legace... he's been a backup his whole career in the NHL, but he's probably a starter-caliber goalie anywhere in the league, but he's still a backup.

Besides, what's wrong with being a #2? You're still getting playing time and there's not a whole lot of pressure on you.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:44 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
wtf Thibault is among the 10 best goalie of the NHL .
Thibault is still more or less unproven when it comes to the playoffs. In high pressure situations Thibault isn't who I'd want in front of the net. He's just not enough of a upgrade over Esche to be worth Handuz straight-up. In the end he's just not what Philly needs. They are looking for a goalie that can take them all the way.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter: both Thibault and Esche are down. The Flyers are probably looking for a goaly because Hackett isn't really up to the task. They'll probably end up overpaying for whomever they get.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:46 PM
English Hab

Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
Quote:

Completely agree with you on that one.... And look at it this way.. if we want to progress whether it be in the playoffs or until the end of the season, what we don't need to be doing is getting rid of our Backup. Lets not forget he is doing quite an admirable job for us in that role... and if we can get a good 20-25 games out of him this season - and hopefully him beaking just above .500 for wins then will be fine and he will only have an increased trade value for next year.. But to go as far to say that we're holding him back i think that couldn't be further from the truth.....

Old
02-04-2004, 07:03 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:

Care to elaborate on why? Last season Matheiu Garon was placed on waivers and cleared. Since then hasn't done much to improve his stock too much. He's proven that in spot starts against the league's weakers sisters he can perform the backup job but nothing else. He faltered badly when he filled in as a starter previously in his career and the league's goalie market is totally flooded.

Quote:
Going to have to call you on this. Please cite one source where you read that Eric Fichaud 'deserves and has the ability to be the backup." That you go on to say 'with almost any team in the league is hilarious. Just find a source that says he could be the backup on even one team. There's no way. he's a good insurance policy as a number 3, but that's it. He had several chances in several cities (New York, Edmonton, Nashville, Carolina, Montreal) and simply wasn unable to secure a foothold in the NHL.

Quote:

This is a ridiculous notion. Even if somehow Matheiu Garon's stock had risen that he went from a waiver-wire pass to a sought after commodity, at best, his value would be in the range of Miikka Kiprusoff (when he was a Shark, not now.) The Flames gave up a 2nd to get Kipper. You think that the Canadiens would somehow add a 3rd draft pick and get a key player like Michal Handzus?

You are dreaming.

Old
02-04-2004, 07:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy

It's very easy to sit on a computer and say injuries are part of the game, but if we trade Garon (who has little value, imo cause of a lack of experience and a 1M salary) then we have to put Fichaud as the backup unless we get another goalie in return. Would you be happy with a Theodore/Fichaud combo, with the Dogs having to go with Michaud as the starter until Damphousse is back. (keep in mind that the Dogs success is very important to the future of the Habs, and that they are one of the top teams this year with a great chance of going all the way this year)

Closed Thread