HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Golfing Expo? What were they thinking?

Old
03-21-2008, 10:07 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Golfing Expo? What were they thinking?

Anybody else find it in poor taste and timing that the Jackets are hosting a GOLF EXPO during Saturday's game?

I was going to let it go until I read in the Dispatch this morning that the Calgary players were taunting the Jackets with "golf swings" at the end of the game scrum. (plus it's a slow hockey news day)

NHLers are famous for loving golf, and it's Spring, so I get that. But WHAT WERE THEY THINKING !!! Hosting a golf expo at the beginning of yet another EXTENDED GOLF SEASON is a marketing joke.

Schawing.. http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app?...ryBrowser&pg=8

Last edited by JACKETfan: 03-21-2008 at 10:23 AM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Anybody else find it in poor taste and timing that the Jackets are hosting a GOLF EXPO during Saturday's game?

I was going to let it go until I read in the Dispatch this morning that the Calgary players were taunting the Jackets with "golf swings" at the end of the game scrum. (plus it's a slow hockey news day)

NHLers are famous for loving golf, and it's Spring, so I get that. But WHAT WERE THEY THINKING !!! Hosting a golf expo at the beginning of yet another EXTENDED GOLF SEASON is a marketing joke.
This thread is a waste of space, obviously they plan these things many months in advance and they aren't going to cancel a huge promotion like this because of some stupid Calgary player running his mouth. And on to your second point about "this being the beginning of another extended golf season," I disagree and I haven't given up hope, they will have 2 games at hand on Colorado at the drop of the puck tomorrow and hopefully still only be 7 points out.

Last edited by ca5150: 03-21-2008 at 10:39 AM.
ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:23 AM
evengodlovesthecbj

I had not thought of it that way. I do think that it kind of cheesy. I am not sure if I can attend as of yet, and if I do I hope I am the 10,001st fan through the door.IMO

evengodlovesthecbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
This thread is a waste of space, obviously they plan these things many months in advance and they aren't going to cancel a huge promotion like this because of some stupid Calgary player running his mouth. And on to your second point about "this being the beginning of another extended golf season," I disagree and I haven't given up hope, they will have 2 games at hand on Colorado at the drop of the puck tomorrow and hopefully still only be 7 games out.
Someone would basically have to lose the rest of their games for us to have a shot (and that's assuming, somehow, that we go on a tear).

Were you one of the ones saying that it's just a small leak when the Titanic was going down?

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I'm happy that you still think we're in the playoff hunt, ca51, which explains why the irony of the golf expo is lost on you.

If I'm Howson (and who knows, I might be) I would have quietly nuked this idea.
I would also have nuked the "Zherdev Hot Dog" promotion night.

Old
03-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I thought that was Nash Hot Dog night?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:41 AM
ca5150

Quote:
I'm happy that you still think we're in the playoff hunt, ca51, which explains why the irony of the golf expo is lost on you.

I understand the irony but I don't understand your call for the promotion to be cancelled. These are sponsers that have payed a ton of money for this, it's not a big deal, I'm looking forward to my free visor!

Old
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Nut View Post
Someone would basically have to lose the rest of their games for us to have a shot (and that's assuming, somehow, that we go on a tear).

Were you one of the ones saying that it's just a small leak when the Titanic was going down?
Math hard.

If the Avs lost all their games we would have to play .500. to beat them out. .500 is not a tear.

If they play .500 they would have 91 points. We would have to go 7-0-1. If they play below .500, it reduces that. There are other teams involed as well, as we all know.

Is it likely with our team? No.

Winning out to give yourselves a realistic chance is a given. It's happened before. If you do that you put pressure on people.

Back on topic. I find the promotion kind of funny going into the home stretch.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:47 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Nut View Post

Again I disagree, tomorrow Colorado has a 3p game @Edm, if they lose we will have 2 games at hand on them down 7, assuming we win those 2 games we are only 3 out at that point. I'm not saying it's easy but I'm not willing to give up like all the rest of you. Why are you on this board or even watching the games if you think the season is over?? I haven't watched 6 years worth of games to give up with 8 to go in the only season we've ever had a shot at the playoffs.

Old
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Never in history has so much been read into something so meaningless.

03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Again I disagree, tomorrow Colorado has a 3p game @Edm, if they lose we will have 2 games at hand on them down 7, assuming we win those 2 games we are only 3 out at that point. I'm not saying it's easy but I'm not willing to give up like all the rest of you. Why are you on this board or even watching the games if you think the season is over?? I haven't watched 6 years worth of games to give up with 8 to go in the only season we've ever had a shot at the playoffs.
I would be blown away if we were able to beat Detroit and Nashville in consecutive games, especially since we're a MASH unit right now.

Old
03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Schawing.. http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app?...ryBrowser&pg=8
Its a stupid promotion either way. There's no tie-in to the team. Its a pure money grab. And what golfer that wasn't already going to the game is going out of his way to show up at this thing.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Nothing says playoff-push hockey like a golf swing simulator!!

Old
03-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
What exactly do you mean by that comment?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:46 AM
DougKnowsBest

i about fell out of my chair when i heard the commercial today.

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:50 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Hey, go with what you know!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I love golf, if I was a Jacket player I'd be checking out the equipment before the fans. They want to make the post season more than any of us but heck, if not, life goes on and there's no better way to spend some of those big bucks than playing golf during the day and partying at night in myrtle beach..... check out Talyor Made guys and gals, they are awesome clubs.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
puckfan64

Quote:
Amen! Call me an eternal optimist, but until the day we are MATHEMATICALLY eliminated from playoff contention, I will hold out hope. However unlikely (and/or hopeless) it may seem, stranger things have happened in the world of sports...

puckfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:08 PM
puckfan64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Amen X2!

puckfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Hey, go with what you know!

Old
03-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfan64 View Post
Amen! Call me an eternal optimist, but until the day we are MATHEMATICALLY eliminated from playoff contention, I will hold out hope. However unlikely (and/or hopeless) it may seem, stranger things have happened in the world of sports...
I wanted to see playoff intensity hockey and thats what I've been watching since the trade deadline so I'm a happy fan. The playoffs would be the ultimate payoff for me, but I'm enjoying the ride because these guys clearly haven't given up yet.

These divisional games are fun to watch.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
A ****ing GOLF EXPO?!?!?!?!

Awesome

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:

Howson may have tried to nuke the golf idea, JF. As you and I both know, Hitch adores golf ... and shares a close, personal, and longstanding bond with a golfer or two. Hitch wasn't going to let Howson get too close to the little red nuke button on this one.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
This is the front office playing head games with us plain and simple. I've had enough.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
After thinking this over...

Maybe JacketFan is on too something. I mean, put the pieces together. The team fired Maclean, a guy who was a season away from bringing us to the top. They hired Howson, who clearly doesn't want to see the team succeed. The team failed to bring anybody in. They traded away Foote and Fedorov, the teams only hope of bringing the franchise to the post season. And they certainly didn't add anybody.

This got me thinking, the team clearly wants the players out of the playoffs. And early off seasons=plenty of downtime=golf. Which leads me to the conclusion that the team is run by a Cabal of Golfers, secretly trying to get Blue Jackets players and fans out golfing often. I mean, McConnell does own Double Eagle. This promotion makes the conclusion even more clear.

The Blue Jackets are a conspiracy to get us golfing.

Avert Your Mind JacketFan. You know too much. Maclean was fired, and he was only beginning to scratch the surface. Who knows what they would do if you uncovered the whole thing.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote