HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who are the Key UFA this summer?

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 09:45 AM
balddog66

vCash: 500
Who are the Key UFA this summer?

I know there are a lot of them...but who are the main free agents this summer for your teams?

With Bertuzzi perhaps setting the bar, what do people think UFA will get?

UFA has implications for my fantasy team...that's why I ask...

Old
02-04-2004, 10:22 AM
popperbolt*

Send a message via ICQ to popperbolt*
Quote:
Originally Posted by balddog66
I know there are a lot of them...but who are the main free agents this summer for your teams?

I think the Canucks have resigned Bertuzzi

Old
02-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Oiltalk

Yup. The Canucks did resign Bertuzzi a few months ago.

Old
02-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by balddog66

A lot will depend on the negociations for the CBA. I don't expect a lockout this year, the NHL can't afford to have one. Most owners will have a general idea about potential caps in July or what it may look like, lux. tax....

Even w/ a Cap, elite players will get the big $s. 6-8 mill per season. But the Lapointes, Holiks, will get a lot less. No more 5 mill a season for grinders. 3-5 mill for good nhlers top 6 forwards, 2nd pairing D.

But who really knows, this is what I think will happen and doesn't mean much.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:36 PM
balddog66

sorry, guess that's what I meant with Bertuzzi, he signed for around 6 million a year, less than he could have when you compare to guys like Holik, Yashin, Bure...etc...does this now mean that Alfredsson will sign for less than he could have a few years ago?

Old
02-04-2004, 12:51 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I don't think you can use Bertuzzi as setting any bars for the UFA market.

Bertuzzi was a RFA, and the only team he could negotiate with was the Canucks... that doesn't compare with UFAs who truly test the market in negotiating their contracts... RFAs and UFAs shouldn't really be compared against each other in market value.

I think that this will be a very slow UFA market to start the offseason... the negotiations in all likelihood will still be ongoing with the CBA, and owners will likely direct their GMs to not make many moves.... if a team signs a big name UFA (say Alfredsson for example) to a huge contract, they themselves will be weakening their own positions in the CBA negotiating.... therefore I see the big names waiting this year, unlike in past season when they are usually the first ones to sign.

As far as UFAs from the canucks, there isn't much to pick from: Keane, Lindgren, Hedberg.... there are a few key RFAs though (Morrison, Ohlund, both Sedins)

Old
02-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Boomhower

One thing is certain, anyone looking for a checking line center will have a lot of options..... and considering their are so many available, I doubt the bidding will get too high for any one in particular:
Craig Conroy
Keith Primeau
Wes Walz
Brian Rolston
Kris Draper
Mike Ricci
Curtis Brown
Joe Nieuwendyk
Mike Sillinger

Old
02-04-2004, 01:18 PM
ginnungagap

Detroit's 80's/90's all-star collection is almost all coming up for UFA status with Lidstrom, Hull, Chelios, Hasek, Schneider, Holmstrom, and Draper. Shanahan has a team option that very well could be declined and Yzerman will be a UFA but I can't imagine he would play for another team if he does decide to keep playing.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:11 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Walz won't be a FA very long, the Wild will make sure he is resigned to a reasonable contract...

Old
02-04-2004, 02:28 PM
caliamad

Kariya, Selanne both are UFA's after this year...

Old
02-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Curtis Brown is not a UFA, he just turned 28 last week. Alexei Zhitnik will be UFA at season's end. And there is the possibility that Tim Connolly wont be qualified due to his concussions (see Boyd Deveraux's departure from Edmonton) so he'll be free to sign with whomever if that were to happen. That is, if he is able to play again...

Old
02-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Curtis Brown is not a UFA, he just turned 28 last week. Alexei Zhitnik will be UFA at season's end. And there is the possibility that Tim Connolly wont be qualified due to his concussions (see Boyd Deveraux's departure from Edmonton) so he'll be free to sign with whomever if that were to happen. That is, if he is able to play again...
Brown is a group 5 UFA, he has been signed to an NHL contract for 10 years and is currently making below the league average. (he makes $1.6M)

Old
02-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
Brown is a group 5 UFA, he has been signed to an NHL contract for 10 years and is currently making below the league average. (he makes $1.6M)
True enough. Good catch.

Old
02-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Teemu

Chicago:
Theooooo (as good as dead)
Alexander Karpovtsev (i see him in the Russian Superleague next year, since he'll be expecting money and recieving none)
Igor Korolev (some team who needs a 4th liner might sign him really cheap. 6th rounder comp.)
Steve Passmore (probably will sign with an AHL team)
Steve Poapst (someone will surely take a chance on him. Probably some rebuilding team who needs another defenseman 6th round comp.)
Alexei Zhamnov (could go to an upper-eschelon team... or not. Still among the best passers in the league, but needs a halfway-decent coach to succeed. late 2nd round comp.)
Jon Aitken (probably re-sign. Good 7th defenseman, but thats about it)
Blake Bellefeille (this guy is our property? didnt even know that)
AJ Baines (will proably sign with the Norfolk Admirals)
Burke Henry (another AHL signee)
Shawn Thornton (seems like the typical guy pulford would re-sign. Not a bad part time enforcer, though)

Old
02-04-2004, 08:26 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

link for list of all free agents

here is a full listing from the ever-helpful spector's hockey site
click on free agents on the lefthand side, and then click on "2004 Free Agent List"
the site uses frames so there is no direct link

link here

Closed Thread