HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gay Hockey Fans Criticize Garden

Old
03-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Stinkin' Root Beer

vCash: 500
This isn't a matter of political correctness. First, ask why "homo" is used as a derogatory term, in this case a way of making fun of Larry. It's because homosexuality is viewed as wrong/deviant/disgusting, etc. In other words, it's a bad thing to be called a "homo." Regardless of how you feel about gay friends that anyone may have - and I'm not questioning those friendships - that is why the term "homo" is being used in this way.

That being said, any time you use "homo" in that way, you are saying that homosexuality is "bad." If the understanding among all people who use the term that way wasn't that homosexuality is bad, you wouldn't be saying "homo." To reduce the issue to political correctness or hyper-sensitivity is just an attempt to de-tooth what is otherwise a very legitimate point...the point I just made

Stinkin' Root Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Balej20*

There's a chance MSG sues this Newspaper for defamation of character. They lead people to believe that Madison Square Garden is the only sporting venue in the world that allows bad language.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjwheel View Post
I don't think testosterone makes people yell homophobic slurs. Intolerence makes people yell homophobic slurs.
Couldn't agree more AND that fact in your sig about the CBJ never losing a playoff game is pretty funny.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkin' Root Beer View Post
This isn't a matter of political correctness. First, ask why "homo" is used as a derogatory term, in this case a way of making fun of Larry. It's because homosexuality is viewed as wrong/deviant/disgusting, etc. In other words, it's a bad thing to be called a "homo." Regardless of how you feel about gay friends that anyone may have - and I'm not questioning those friendships - that is why the term "homo" is being used in this way.

That being said, any time you use "homo" in that way, you are saying that homosexuality is "bad." If the understanding among all people who use the term that way wasn't that homosexuality is bad, you wouldn't be saying "homo." To reduce the issue to political correctness or hyper-sensitivity is just an attempt to de-tooth what is otherwise a very legitimate point...the point I just made
Exactly, well said.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
There's a chance MSG sues this Newspaper for defamation of character. They lead people to believe that Madison Square Garden is the only sporting venue in the world that allows bad language.
I don't think MSG would have a case, considering everything in the article is true. But I do think it is really silly, and undermines the article, how they make it seem like this is unique to MSG.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Well of course its not a verbal attack if its a compliment... When was the last time you heard somebody say stop attacking me w/ compliments. Honestly.

You are entitled to think whatever you want. I don't agree w/ the liberal crap my friends spread but it's his opinion and I can respect it.

All this situation is is a person trying to make a big deal out of nothing. I have been around obnoxious people who have said things that I feel aren't right before but I don't really care. it's their opinion.
I haven't really commented on this case, I just explained why there is no "freedom of speech" on or in private property

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:14 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I think people are waaaayyyyy to sensitive. Its a term people will always use, right or wrong. I would take bigger issue with it if larry was actually a gay man. Then it would be offensive IMO.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
I think people are waaaayyyyy to sensitive. Its a term people will always use, right or wrong. I would take bigger issue with it if larry was actually a gay man. Then it would be offensive IMO.
So a gay season ticket holder who has a guy sitting next to him has to listen every home game to him say 'Homo Larry'? He shouldnt be so thin skinned?

Or if Larry was Italian or Jewish it would be ok for us to yell 'Wop Larry' or 'Jewboy Larry'. Thats ok though right?

Old
03-21-2008, 12:18 PM
jmb9191

I remember the first time I ever sat in the blues for a game, I was pretty young. The things that were said, the curse words I couldn't believe I was hearing

"Shoot the puck!"
"Shut the ******* up!"
"Shut up you old ****"

Its just the nature of an NHL arena, especially around here. If you don't want to deal with it, don't go to the game. Its not fair to Larry that they are cutting his thing becuase people are doing this...

technically, the people that say "homo larry" are winning since its getting Larry off the Jumbotron.

Enough people like Larry to the point that they should stay on, and if people want to chant homo larry, then so be it. Thats the MSG crowd.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:22 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So a gay season ticket holder who has a guy sitting next to him has to listen every home game to him say 'Homo Larry'? He shouldnt be so thin skinned?

Or if Larry was Italian or Jewish it would be ok for us to yell 'Wop Larry' or 'Jewboy Larry'. Thats ok though right?
those words will always be used. What is MSG supposed to do about? And yes, he shouldn't be so thin skinned. But, then again that is easy for me to say. I understand your point, I just don't think there is anything that can be done about it. People will always say what they want. Bluenote, I am in no way supporting these people who chant the word, but if people are going to be offended everytime someone says something that may be hurtful, insulting, then they will be offended all of the time because people say stupid **** all the time. Sometimes its better to just ignore it and move on, especially if it wasn't directed at the person who feels insulted. Again easy for me to say, but JMO.

Last edited by IslesFanatic: 03-21-2008 at 12:28 PM.
IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
those words will always be used. What is MSG supposed to do about? And yes, he shouldn't be so thin skinned. But, then again that is easy for me to say. I understand your point, I just don't think there is anything that can be done about it. People will always say what they want.
Your right, i'm not sure they could do much about it except talk about it over and over until the neanderthals get it through their heads that more than enough fans won't stand for it.

It really has to do with the fans who dont hold them accountable. That day may never come but it doesnt mean that i can just sit here and not let those idiots know how i feel.

Old
03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
It really has to do with the fans who dont hold them accountable. That day may never come but it doesnt mean that i can just sit here and not let those idiots know how i feel.
So now it's other fan's responsibility to keep people from yelling stuff?

They have every right to yell whatever they want at a hockey game just as you have every right to yell back how you feel.

Next time everyone starts chanting Homo Larry, stand up and yell at all of them. Tell me how that works our for you.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
I don't think MSG would have a case, considering everything in the article is true. But I do think it is really silly, and undermines the article, how they make it seem like this is unique to MSG.
Exactly. And that's what makes this article so laughable. For the first thread and a half, I actually thought the article was a joke. And BTW, the last thing MSG needs right now is some more bad press.

Old
03-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
So now it's other fan's responsibility to keep people from yelling stuff?

They have every right to yell whatever they want at a hockey game just as you have every right to yell back how you feel.

Next time everyone starts chanting Homo Larry, stand up and yell at all of them. Tell me how that works our for you.
Well, its obviously a complicated matter, maybe theres no way to stop fans from saying anything, its just a shame cause its duragatory and hurtful. And like i said, if it was a jewish, Italian or Irish remark fans wouldnt put up with it.

Old
03-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Ovens

I guess we will just have to get used to dancing Granny she really fires up the Garden!,oh wait folks I'm really sorry for the tasteless ageism comment.

We could always play the chicken dance over the PA, it goes down so well at the other arenas...

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:47 PM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
how do you know the fans don't mean "homosapien" when they chant "homo larry"

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Exactly. And that's what makes this article so laughable. For the first thread and a half, I actually thought the article was a joke. And BTW, the last thing MSG needs right now is some more bad press.
They bring it on themselves as far as I can tell.

Old
03-21-2008, 12:48 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Your right, i'm not sure they could do much about it except talk about it over and over until the neanderthals get it through their heads that more than enough fans won't stand for it.

there shouldn't be anything done about it. People are brought up different ways. Some people are brought up tougher "skinned" than others. Everything can and will be taken out of context in this country to try to make a point. It just part of the culture. Look at how PC this country has gotten. Ever talk to people who have fought in WW2, or grew up during the depression. They talk differently. People weren't so sensitive that they had to censor everything. There is no reason that people have to make everything PC so a couple people out of a couple thousand in this case can feel more comfortable. Just ignore it and move on. People really need to stop being so sensitive about anything. And if that makes a couple people upset and leave than ****'em. There is worse crap that is being said, and exploited on their favorite TV show's probably. These people that complain just want to complain to get a share of the spotlight.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Balej20*

Quote:

First of all, Larry isn't "Gay," so it's not like they are poking fun at him for BEING "Gay." And I am Italian, and I would have NO problem whatsoever if fans started chanting wop or anyother bad terms towards Italians.

These people are attention seekers, bottom line. This Nation has become a bunch of Feel-Bad-For-Me whiners, because you always get what you want when you complain.

Old
03-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
They bring it on themselves as far as I can tell.
Oh absolutely...but this, for the first time, is something they did NOT bring upon themselves. This is something that goes on at every sporting event across the world.

Old
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah, but its not Larry who is complaining.
yeah i understand....just saying these types of things have to be expected in an environment such as a hockey game...

i am sure the same types of things happen at other sports events...but now since an attention-seeking figure projected himself and opened himself up to criticism, it brings the matter into the limelight and stains the Garden when it should not even be an issue at all.

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
I guess we will just have to get used to dancing Granny she really fires up the Garden!,oh wait folks I'm really sorry for the tasteless ageism comment.

We could always play the chicken dance over the PA, it goes down so well at the other arenas...
I think the chicken dance is German... we don't want to just use one countries dance. We must us them all to appease people of all nationalities, races, religions, hair colors, eye colors, hand size, chin size etc.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
there shouldn't be anything done about it. People are brought up different ways. Some people are brought up tougher "skinned" than others. Everything can and will be taken out of context in this country to try to make a point. It just part of the culture. Look at how PC this country has gotten. Ever talk to people who have fought in WW2, or grew up during the depression. They talk differently. People weren't so sensitive that they had to censor everything. There is no reason that people have to make everything PC so a couple people out of a couple thousand in this case can feel more comfortable. Just ignore it and move on. People really need to stop being so sensitive about anything. And if that makes a couple people upset and leave than ****'em. There is worse crap that is being said, and exploited on their favorite TV show's probably. These people that complain just want to complain to get a share of the spotlight.
I guess you missed this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkin' Root Beer View Post

Old
03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post

You may have been trying to make a joke, but you are right. It is ageism to call her Granny. And it's the samething as what this article is trying to get at. Bottom line, poltical correctness goes WAY WAY too far in this country.

Old
03-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
First of all, Larry isn't "Gay," so it's not like they are poking fun at him for BEING "Gay." And I am Italian, and I would have NO problem whatsoever if fans started chanting wop or anyother bad terms towards Italians.

These people are attention seekers, bottom line. This Nation has become a bunch of Feel-Bad-For-Me whiners, because you always get what you want when you complain.
I'm Italian too, and i've never been beaten up or had some kind of injustice done to me because of it, but Homosexuals in this country cannot tell you the same.

And the people who yell "Homo Larry' arent attention seekers !!!!!!????