HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 Draft Talk : Live From Montreal!

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
Wasn't it Torp?

anyway... I just want Duchene
http://dartmouthsports.com/ViewArtic...&ATCLID=942417

Quote:
Letterwinner in both hockey and tennis...Helped lead tennis team to state title twice...Was the Section 7AA tennis champion as a junior and senior.
As far as Duchene is concerned, wish for a top 5 pick, top 7 at the very worst...

Old
01-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
http://dartmouthsports.com/ViewArtic...&ATCLID=942417

As far as Duchene is concerned, wish for a top 5 pick, top 7 at the very worst...
crap... I thought Torp was the tennis player. I was wrong.

and yeah, I know for Duchene lol, hence the

Old
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2009/NHL-D.../Peter-Holland

Check the highlights on the October 24th.....Great size, nice scoring touch. You can all check the highlights for other games as well....scores most of his goals in the crease, the guy uses his body really well....Honestly this guy is top 5 on my list right now.

http://www.guelphstorm.com/media/video?channel=2
Interesting... I don't know if I've seen quite the power game they describe, at least not in the "traditional PF" sense, in that I don't find Holland to be that aggressive or ferocious on the forecheck, but he does use his size to protect the puck well and certainly doesn't back off anywhere. With him and Beck and now Latta there, Guelph has some pretty well-built guys for draft-aged players. I haven't actually seen Guelph since the Latta trade, but I could imagine those 3 actually getting airlifted as a line to the WU-18. Beck and Holland definitely played together when I was watching them.

Old
01-09-2009, 01:25 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Interesting... I don't know if I've seen quite the power game they describe, at least not in the "traditional PF" sense, in that I don't find Holland to be that aggressive or ferocious on the forecheck, but he does use his size to protect the puck well and certainly doesn't back off anywhere. With him and Beck and now Latta there, Guelph has some pretty well-built guys for draft-aged players. I haven't actually seen Guelph since the Latta trade, but I could imagine those 3 actually getting airlifted as a line to the WU-18. Beck and Holland definitely played together when I was watching them.
Mike Richards with a little less offence? They seem to be similar players. Granted Richards was on a stacked Rangers team.

Old
01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I had us drafting Lee last year in the 7th round (i think) in my mock draft article on my site. I know I passed it along to TDG to tell Timmins to keep an eye out for this kid. (not that I ever thought that Timmins would even remotely consider or even care)
It's probably more like he already knew everything he needed to know about him.

Old
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Mike Richards with a little less offence? They seem to be similar players. Granted Richards was on a stacked Rangers team.
I wouldn't compare him to Richards at all, actually. Holland is more "smooth" to me, and bigger, and a better skater. Richards was a ball of fire, and he had to use his unbelievable work ethic to make up for a lack of size and speed, but he was an absolutely game-controlling player even so. I see Holland differently, he's maybe more like a Marleau, a bit subtle at times, though maybe not with the absolute elite speed element that Marleau has.

Old
01-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Mustafa*

The Habs 1st round pick in 2008 seems to be turning all right, and a Habs fan BTW.

Greg Nemisz
Height 6.03 -- Weight 197 -- Shoots R

2008-09 Windsor Spitfires OHL 39GP 21G 25A 46Pts

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have traded, i'm all for the tanguay trade, seriously, i just want to give you that info, the Big right handed center is doing realy well. And it's too bad we had to make this trade on his draft year, but we had to.

Old
01-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
The Habs 1st round pick in 2008 seems to be turning all right, and a Habs fan BTW.

Greg Nemisz

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have traded, i'm all for the tanguay trade, seriously, i just want to give you that info, the Big right handed center is doing realy well. And it's too bad we had to make this trade on his draft year, but we had to.
Who says that we were going to pick him? It's who Calgary picked, but how do we know that he was on Timmins radar? Not because a guy is picked at our rank that he would have been a Habs.

Can't stress enough how we need some big centermen.....but to be honest he wasn't on my radar. Honestly, I saw him play only once and the time I saw him, he reminded of a slightly better version than Joel Champagne who I am not a fan of...Skating is an issue which makes me think that for a 1st rounder, he probably wasn't on Timmins radar as well.

Old
01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post

Greg Nemisz

Thanks for the info, Mustafa. He's having a good year, although a look at the rest of the Spitfires' stats makes it seem less impressive. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl.php?tid=841

Old
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Roulin

Not sure if anyone will be interested in this, but I figure I might as well share just in case. I've attached a spreadsheet with a small list of draft eligible forwards, their Desjardins projections, and their ages as of Jan 1st. I'm not trying to present any kind of of definitive ranking, just another piece of the puzzle. It's similar to what Lowetide does once in a while. I've just added age, an underrated variable to the equation, and use a slightly more complete list of prospects. Context is important - for example, being aware that Tavares played for a terrible team in Oshawa, and should surge to the top of this list in London.

Ferraro's mix of bloodlines, age, right handed shot and scoring ability are making him look like an interesting prospect who may be available when the Habs pick. Have any of you WHL followers seen him play? sbtatter, maybe?
Attached Files
File Type: xls 09 draft - foward prospect projections.xls‎ (17.5 KB, 15 views)

Old
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HOW DOES ONE ATTEND THIS DRAFT?

Please.

Old
01-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Who says that we were going to pick him? It's who Calgary picked, but how do we know that he was on Timmins radar? Not because a guy is picked at our rank that he would have been a Habs.
It was more of a joke.

Old
01-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So based on the Guelph vs Sarnia game that I've watched for 2 periods and a half...here are my comments on the available players and on some others:

Best player of the game: Hands down to Di Benedetto, don't know but look like another great Isles pick in 2008. Looked dominating.

2009 Draftees:

GUELPH

Peter Holland: I really wonder if what I'm going to say on him wasn't said for Jeff Carter as well.....but the guy has some serious skills. Great elusive skater, great puckhandling, great wristers.....but I don't like his implication or his lack thereof. Doesn't really hate the physical contract but is definately not looking for it either. I think Montreal already stressed out how he's not that physical and clearly he was right, I was dissapointed in that regard. All in all, I'm not saying we shouldn't go after him, again, I really wonder if the same type of scouting report wasn't made for Carter 'cause clearly Holland deserves the #9 spot for the midterm rankings he just got......but still I would have love to see him take more charge in that game, played just a little more physical. I wasn't impressed yesterday

Ben Chiarot: Big, big defenceman, that is really really raw, could work on his foot speed but I liked what I saw as far stability and how solid he was. Decision making was somewhat average sometimes mind boggling, some other times great passes tape-to-tape. Still, seems that there's something we could do with that big man. Not in love, no first 3 rounds, but interesting project for the later rounds. Needs better foot work though.

Michael Latta: Talented, no question, but before his nice pass from behind the net, I had one word for him.....selfish. So much of a puckhog who was more interesting to do everything by himself than going for the right play. Clearly the guy knows how to stickhandle and has some nice speed to go with is. A good talent but seems to me that it's more mental than physical as far as his game is concerned. Not sure and somebody closer to the team could confirm it or not, seemed to me like to have an attitude already.....saw him whining and often looking mad at his line for missing plays and stuff. But that remains to be seen, what could be see like whining could also be leadership as he wasn't satisfied with his teamates' play and wanted to start something.....clearly Guelph didn't play a good game to say the least...

Taylor Beck: Has the tools to be a good power forward....still have some speed issues.....big time for me. Knack for scoring, is a guy from the blue line to the net, but with what I've seen yesterday, I could without especially because of his clear lack of speed. I would'nt start to look at him before the 4th round....Foot speed IS an issue.

Brandon Foote: Goalie....Showed some great things and not so great, not sure that positionnally he's so strong, clearly who goes with his athleticism and goes for the incredible saves.....but then gave 6 goals. A no for me.

SARNIA

Ben O'Quinn: Speed and talent that needs to be polished and refined. I liked the guy. Not big and strong enough might come with time. I would like to see him to assess more about his hockey sense, and his desire to play in traffic. Doesn't initiatie contacts, not his game at all. But I just like his overall talent, stickhandling and his skating. Needs to convert his chances way more though. Would need another look. Strange that he's not in the midterm rankings yet....

Miroslav Preisigner: Another talented kid. Still, I keep comparing him with O'Quinn and prefered to see what O'Quinn was giving as far as effort and talent is concern. But Preisigner is a good stickhandler and a fast skater as well. I know that Sarnia will play on Sportsnet next week so will be able to see both guys again.

Jesse Stoughton: I didn't name him on my initial list but despite his size, clearly the kid has some skills....but he's still really really small and tiny. I will take a closer look at him next Sunday game, but despite his size, he doesn't seem to fear no one. Interesting prospect....but seems to me that the CSS hates Sarnia players....no players from that team appears in the mid-term rankings.

Players to watch for the future:

Gregg Sutch: Incredible frame, would need to add some speed to his overall game but he's young and was impressive. For the 2010 draft

Justin Di Benedetto: Already picked by the Isles in their famous 2008 draft, this kid was picked really really late for a guy with his talent. Not a big guy though and probably not the fastest in hell....but scores goals and has quick hands. Really talented...potential steal for the Isles.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-12-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
korky00

Hey guys...

the chicoutimi sagueneens traded for the rights to Louis Leblanc (ushl omaha) even though Leblanc said he would not play in the Q as he wishes to go to Harvard next year.

As you may know, the sags are property of Guy Carbonneau...

do you see anything or pure coincidence? I'm not that good with prospects, is he good and could he be in Timmins' plans assuming that he is ranked near the place we should draft (bottom tier ).

Thx

Old
01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by korky00 View Post
Hey guys...

the chicoutimi sagueneens traded for the rights to Louis Leblanc (ushl omaha) even though Leblanc said he would not play in the Q as he wishes to go to Harvard next year.

As you may know, the sags are property of Guy Carbonneau...

do you see anything or pure coincidence? I'm not that good with prospects, is he good and could he be in Timmins' plans assuming that he is ranked near the place we should draft (bottom tier ).

Thx
Leblanc, so far, seems to be totally ranked where we'll be picking. The knock about Leblanc seems to be his physical game where he seems to be more a perimeter player than a physical one. But no doubt that the kid is really talented. My mind is not made yet, would love to see him play at least once and maybe more to know how I stand on that subject.....but I understand it would be more interesting to know how Timmins would stand....Montreal with his contacts could try to know it though...On his video, Leblanc gets a hat-trick, the 2nd, 4th, and 6th goals.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-12-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
michel newtown

Here is a scouting report on Leblanc from Mckeen's :
Universal centerman with a detailed and versatile game .. skates hunched over with a wide-based stride and will never wow you with his explosiveness, however he always finds enough speed to suit the situation and displays a good acceleratory gear with the puck .. boasts sharp strides along with swift agility and unshakable balance .. skilled with the puck and can play in all situations, but is more of a set up man than a dynamic finisher, as he seems content to be a complementary player instead of displaying the drive to be the difference maker .. in one viewing, he had three two-on-one's and deferred the puck every time even though the best option was for him to take the puck to the net .. most dangerous manufacturing offense by pulling the puck off the wall and attacking the slot .. smart and hard working defensively, as he comes deep into his own zone to support in coverage .. boasts endearing grit and he never stops hustling, which allows him to succeed in winning one-on-one puck battles because he simply outworks his opponent .. physical player and this side of his game should only blossom further with added strength.

Old
01-12-2009, 08:17 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel newtown View Post
Here is a scouting report on Leblanc from Mckeen's :
Universal centerman with a detailed and versatile game .. skates hunched over with a wide-based stride and will never wow you with his explosiveness, however he always finds enough speed to suit the situation and displays a good acceleratory gear with the puck .. boasts sharp strides along with swift agility and unshakable balance .. skilled with the puck and can play in all situations, but is more of a set up man than a dynamic finisher, as he seems content to be a complementary player instead of displaying the drive to be the difference maker .. in one viewing, he had three two-on-one's and deferred the puck every time even though the best option was for him to take the puck to the net .. most dangerous manufacturing offense by pulling the puck off the wall and attacking the slot .. smart and hard working defensively, as he comes deep into his own zone to support in coverage .. boasts endearing grit and he never stops hustling, which allows him to succeed in winning one-on-one puck battles because he simply outworks his opponent .. physical player and this side of his game should only blossom further with added strength.

dont know if that scouting report was from max giese (x-sharkie here at hf) but last time i spoke with max about leblanc he was a big fan of him. he told me that more he watch him played more he like him. also he said he does a lot of thing well that goes unoticed by the average fans but get high remark from the scouts)

speaking of the 09 draft here are the mid-term ranking that we all have been waiting for
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|home

and here's a feature on the top ranked Q prospects Simon depres of saint-johns sea dogs
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=403117

Last edited by JeromeHP: 01-12-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old
01-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

After watching the Calgary Hitmen vs Swift Current Broncos here are the players that are draft eligible:

Cody Eakin: Most guys in this game that are 2009 draft eligible are not big.....but they sure have other assets. This kid has a great hand-eye coordination that he showed on his goal and on other plays. Would need to be stronger big time but has a lot of talent and awareness offensively and defensively (was used on the PK a lot). Nice stickhandler, not afraid of traffic and skates really really well. Good player....but small. He will be at the prospects game this week.

Justin Dowling: Not too sure what to make of this guy. Clearly aware in both zones, I would have the tendancy to call him a poor man's Cody Eakin....as aware in both zones, probably a better passer, but seems sometimes just as fast than Eakin. Thing is he looks less dangerous around the net. And another small one. If I had to make a choice based on 1 game, Eakin would have my vote.

Chaser Shaber: I just didn't see anythinf offensively during that game. Not a big guy again but throws his body way more than the other 2. Seems to me like a defensive specialist more than anything else. Only saw 2 great tape to tape passes from him.

Interesting overagers that looked fine were Tomas Karpov who scored a really nice goal, Bostjan Golicic who I always liked last year, he's a really nice skater with some great offensive instincts, his numbers probably don't always show it, but sometimes you like a player and you don't have a lot to back it with....well Golicic is one of them for me. Brandon Kozun is definately offensive gifted, one of the greatest skaters there is.....but small is not even the word....Jan Dalecky showed good flashes offensively.

Another point.....let's hope we didn't do a mistake....I wanted the Habs to pick Ian Schultz 'cause I remember we were looking for Lucic Part 2.....the guy is surprisingly a good skater who I think got already better in that department and has good offensive instincts and is a hard hitter and plays a mean game....honestly.....Quailer better be good....we pick Quailer one pick before Schultz....We said that Conboy fills a need we don't have in our prospect pool....well Schultz would have been another one and frankly, to me, better and more sure prospect than Conboy.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:47 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

habs scout Frank Jay on Jaroslav Janus

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...11/-1/SPORTS10

Quote:
Janus appears on Montreal's prospect list, said Canadiens scout Frank Jay, former Otters' director of scouting, even though 21-year-old standout Carey Price headlines the club's goaltending depth.

Jay expects a team will give Janus a chance. He should have been selected last summer, Jay said.

"If you picked him in the seventh round last year," Jay said, "then you're pretty happy today."

Old
01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

top prospects game tonight

at 7pm on rds and sportsnet

cant wait!! will get my first look at a lot of those prospects

Old
01-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
at 7pm on rds and sportsnet

cant wait!! will get my first look at a lot of those prospects
I really like what I'm seeing from the Q boys!

Paradis and Gilbert especially. Nice mix of size, speed and skill.

Old
01-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post

I agree especially as far as Gilbert is concerned. Probably his best game I've seen this year which says a lot about the character of this kid.

For me the best guys were:

Cody Eakin (see my post above.....I was already on his bandwagon....), David Gilbert, Simon Després (I know he was on some goals, and I didn't like when he kinda of let Kane go beside him though I think he was at the end of his shift but the kid is great), Matt Duchene who showed some serious skills, Kulikov, Gélinas, Kivisto, O'Reilly and Holland (when this kid will put everything together, we might have another Jeff Carter here...)

The worst were:

Foligno, Ferraro, Carter (who for me look like a poor man's Colton Gillies, not sure at all about his hockey sense) and Hlinka who I was expecting way more.

Would have seen those guys do more:

Caron (I was dissapointed to be honest...looked slow out there), Roussel (aside from his thunderous check, I am a fan, but I thought he would have done better), Paradis (I agree with you as far as what he can do, but he can do much much more, at one point he was running around just trying to hit somebody...), Bubnick, Kassian (despite hurting Tavares...), Nestrasil despite his goal, and Glennie.

The rest well, they were pretty quiet for me. Tough to follow all those guys though....I prefer to see a regular game in their respective league. Much easier to follow.

What it will do to my rankings? Not sure it will do anything except for Ferraro who I was really dissapointed to see. Jordan Caron is another one that I begin to be less interested in. Pretty sure he doesn't fit the Timmins mold. But one guy I really really liked and didn't know what to think of even if I saw 3 games of him was David Gilbert. Really liked what I saw from him.

Cody Eakin is not big, but has a great heart and can play every role in a team offensively and defensively. Could become a Darren Helm. But could end up much more.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-14-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old
01-14-2009, 10:12 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post

-yep was really impressed by Gilbert (kind of remind me of olivier fortier with better offensive upside)

-Paradis always like him since i saw him last year as a 16yo. He remind me of guillaume Latendresse (good upsided, need to improved skill and play physical)

-tough night for Depres (his team was terrible) got deked out of his jack strap on one goal but like what he did in the pp earlier on in the game how he rushed the puck from end to end one some shift. Love the way he skate really similar to Jay-Bo

-Olivier Roy, he show why he should be the no1 goalie ranked no doubt about it!!! the guy is an absolute dynamic goaltender. if he was 6-2 he would be a top10 pick in the draft

Old
01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
I agree especially as far as Gilbert is concerned. Probably his best game I've seen this year which says a lot about the character of this kid.

For me the best guys were:

Cody Eakin (see my post above.....I was already on his bandwagon....), David Gilbert, Simon Després (I know he was on some goals, and I didn't like when he kinda of let Kane go beside him though I think he was at the end of his shift but the kid is great), Matt Duchene who showed some serious skills, Kulikov, Gélinas, Kivisto, O'Reilly and Holland (when this kid will put everything together, we might have another Jeff Carter here...)

The worst were:

Foligno, Ferraro, Carter (who for me look like a poor man's Colton Gillies, not sure at all about his hockey sense) and Hlinka who I was expecting way more.

Would have seen those guys do more:

Caron (I was dissapointed to be honest...looked slow out there), Roussel (aside from his thunderous check, I am a fan, but I thought he would have done better), Paradis (I agree with you as far as what he can do, but he can do much much more, at one point he was running around just trying to hit somebody...), Bubnick, Kassian (despite hurting Tavares...), Nestrasil despite his goal, and Glennie.

The rest well, they were pretty quiet for me. Tough to follow all those guys though....I prefer to see a regular game in their respective league. Much easier to follow.

What it will do to my rankings? Not sure it will do anything except for Ferraro who I was really dissapointed to see. Jordan Caron is another one that I begin to be less interested in. Pretty sure he doesn't fit the Timmins mold. But one guy I really really liked and didn't know what to think of even if I saw 3 games of him was Éric Gilbert. Really liked what I saw from him.

Cody Eakin is not big, but has a great heart and can play every role in a team offensively and defensively. Could become a Darren Helm. But could end up much more.
mix between eric gelinas and david gilbert......

Old
01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
tough night for Depres (his team was terrible) got deked out of his jack strap on one goal but like what he did in the pp earlier on in the game how he rushed the puck from end to end one some shift. Love the way he skate really similar to Jay-Bo
His team was terrible. And like I said, even if he looked bad on one particular play, real bad and was on the ice for 2 goals, I just go beyond that performance and can see that this guy will be a stud. His skating his great, not sure he'll have a career as a PP quarterback guy but he's solid both offensively and defensively. I mean, I'm sold on the guy so I guess that tonight's game didn't matter to me.

Closed Thread