HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel Girardi

Old
03-22-2008, 10:08 PM
rickyrod

vCash: 500
I think both his and Tyutin's games would get better if they were split up. I don't think they compliment each other very well, and I'd personally would rather see Girardi develop his defensive game more than his offensive game. That's what he was absolutely great at last year, being a solid, steady shut-down d-man with no flash. Every time he got beat you could see what he learned from it on the next play. That's that Girardi I was sold on and want back.

Also, a lot of our low GA is carryover from the first month and a half of the season when Henke was lights out and because our overall defensive system is solid enough to withstand a few hiccups a game. I wouldn't necessarily say that defensemen are the biggest defensive assets we have on this team.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 10:28 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I believe, technically, that 2007-08 was his rookie year.
Nope. He played too many games last season to be considered a rookie this year.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Nope. He played too many games last season to be considered a rookie this year.
I think you may be right, what about callahan? last or this year his rookie?

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 10:59 PM
storm fan

this year is his rookie year.

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I guess Girardi's not allowed to have the typical learning curve of any young defenseman?
None of our players are. At least that's how some fans see it.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Daniel Girardi is not nearly as good as his reputation would indicate. He played nearly flawless defensive hockey last year and got a massively inflated rep and expectations because of that. It's not exactly fair he made an incredible first impression but because of it some people will remember those moments and overrate him, and others will have a disconnect between his performance last year and this year and be disappointed in him.

I think he's a real good 2nd pair defenseman who doesn't do anything well enough to be a 1st pairing guy. That's a compliment.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 02:37 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
Daniel Girardi is not nearly as good as his reputation would indicate. He played nearly flawless defensive hockey last year and got a massively inflated rep and expectations because of that. It's not exactly fair he made an incredible first impression but because of it some people will remember those moments and overrate him, and others will have a disconnect between his performance last year and this year and be disappointed in him.

I think he's a real good 2nd pair defenseman who doesn't do anything well enough to be a 1st pairing guy. That's a compliment.
again....dead-on.....i would be very happy if he and tyutin became a very solid second pairing for a long time to come with staal and sangs as the first.....that would be the ideal situation down the road....

as it is right now he and tyutin rarely look out of place playing against the other teams best lines.....as a coach that is the ultimate team if he doesnt have to worry about his second pairing being outmatched by the other teams best players...it allows even distribution of ice time and less wear-and-tear on everyones bodies

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 03:45 AM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
If you people zero in on Girardi like you do Malik and Backman, Girardi has been worse than them.

I dont know if there is a defenseman on our team that has worse decision making. Girardi at least once a game makes a terrible pass coming out of our zone. Players have been able to skate right around him, he has not been physical lately and when he decides to pinch he often gets trapped resulting in odd man rushes.
If you think this of Girardi , Staal should be playing junior b.wow girardi makes at least one mistake a game. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!he led the team in hit last game.
In the Phillie game. Rosival was by far the worse d man out there if you watched the whole game.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 07:06 AM
eco's bones

Girardi is a very smart young player who plays his position well and can add offense. He also has a physical element--153 hits so far this season--and does not take penalties only 14. For a 23 year old playing as a top 4 chipping in with some offense he's doing very well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
I agree with you... And I don't expect him to be any more then a 3-4 Defenseman now, or ever.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 04:00 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
I think both his and Tyutin's games would get better if they were split up. I don't think they compliment each other very well, and I'd personally would rather see Girardi develop his defensive game more than his offensive game. That's what he was absolutely great at last year, being a solid, steady shut-down d-man with no flash. Every time he got beat you could see what he learned from it on the next play. That's that Girardi I was sold on and want back.

Also, a lot of our low GA is carryover from the first month and a half of the season when Henke was lights out and because our overall defensive system is solid enough to withstand a few hiccups a game. I wouldn't necessarily say that defensemen are the biggest defensive assets we have on this team.
I dunno, I have to highly disagree with that.

When they were first put together both of them played better, and since then I think they have a real easy time playing with each other. Both know where the other one is and both can cover for the others mistakes with ease.

I love them paired together and i'd be very dissapointed if Renney split them up. They give us a very, very solid 2nd pairing for years to come.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Levitate

The Rangers like two way defensemen a whole lot, so it's not a huge surprise that Girardi didn't stay completely defense oriented. Not to mention he was a solid point producer in the AHL.

I think his defensive lapses have been because he's trying to do more this year, and because he's played a lot this year and probably has worn down some. The "trying to do more" thing can end up going either way...there's a learning curve to it, so of course he'll make more mistakes, but if he can work it all out, he'll be a much more valuable defenseman. If not...he needs to go back to keeping it simple.

He's had his ups and downs this year, but I wouldn't call him terrible at all. Overall, he's still a good player for the Rangers. Yes, I'd call him a good 2nd pair defenseman. Not a top pairing guy, but should be better than a bottom pair type.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
IMO, Girardi's defensive game has begun to suffer when he started getting more points up and discovering his offensive game (coincedence or not, dunno).
He dropped off since New Year's and one example was this last game vs Philly.
He had the chance to level Briere before one of his goals, and he would've done that in November... Now he just let off and glided away.
If your talking around the wrap around goal he didn't just glide off he tried to dive and pokecheck but his stick got caught on the post

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 05:35 PM
shon

I find it interesting that players can play a good game play solid and make one or two mistakes and they are condemed on this board. Some players play terrible and make one or two good plays and are just fantastic.
I guess Ranger fans in general are lacking in hockey knowledge and don't know any better.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 07:52 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

there is not 1 single player who doesnt make mistakes....

i just dont understand some peoples thinking sometimes....

girardi is about as solid a 2nd pairing d as it gets at the grandfather like age of 23...and hes only going to get better.......hes smart..positionally sound....hits well...makes good 1st passes

does he make mistakes???? yes ...ofcourse......but do me a favor and name one player who doesnt...

lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

People tend to forget that most Defensemen don't usually hit their primes until their late 20s early 30s. This guy's 23 and in his second year and people talk like he's a 30 something year old vet.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 11:11 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Up until mid-December, Girardi played mistake-free hockey. He was practically flawless, and was hands down our best defenseman. His offensive production has shot up a bit, and his defensive game has suffered. He's young, he's trying to learn how to balance the two, and it's going to take a little time. It doesn't come over night. Girardi will be a solid two-way #3, borderline #2 when it's all said and done. He'll be a key part of any defense corps he plays on, and I hope that it's with us.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Block More Shots

Wow, for all those who have knocked Girardi on his game, I didn't think that Girardi and terrible could be used in the same sentence. Sure, every now and then you'll see him slip up a bit, but terrible? No way this guy is a 6th or 7th d-man either, he's a solid 3rd/4th.

Ever since he was brought up, I've seen nothing but good things from him.

I really like our defense, even with Malik in there. Once Mara is back, we'll tighten up even more.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Block More Shots

I forgot to add that offensively, Girardi is exactly what our defense needs. This is a guy who almost always gets shots on net from the point. I've seen Rozy, Mara, and even Staal have great lanes to shoot and miss the net constantly. Girardi knows how to put the puck on net.

I think he knows that it's not necessarily about scoring when your at the point, but about getting pucks on net so that the forwards can get to loose pucks. Some of our defensemen like to wind up and let big shots go. Girardi gets hard, low shots on net and gives the forwards opportunities to bang in rebounds.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:41 AM
odd carom

It doesn't really get more diamond in the rough than Girardi.

odd carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:46 AM
the zamboni

Rookie Qualifications
To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in 25 or more NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

Just wanted to clarify that Girardi was a rookie in 06-07.

For Callahan, this year is considered his rookie year.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote