HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Numminen deposits grievance at NHLPA for sabres suspension

Old
03-21-2008, 09:20 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

vCash: 500
OT: Numminen deposits grievance at NHLPA for sabres suspension

I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I read this on RDS and was shocked.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/248324.html

The Sabres suspended Numminen without salary because he underwent heart surgery during the off season in relation to a cardiac malformation and wasn't "physically fit" to undergo the season...

That he be suspended, fine...but without salary??? Only to make room in the $#@$# cap???

Imagine the habs suspending Koivu for having Chemotherapy and not being "Physically fit". I for sure would cease to be a habs fan.

I used to hate buffalo because...well you know...just cause I'm a habs fan. But now, I genuinely hate them for being an inhumane, unsupportive, disgusting hockey club.

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:26 AM
VanNistelrooy

Buffalo is the cheapest hockey organisation in the NHL today. That's no breaking news.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

doesn't insurance cover this type of thing??

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Forum Ghost

Quote:
That he be suspended, fine...but without salary??? Only to make room in the $#@$# cap???
It's not about the cap, it's strictly about dollars. By putting him on IR, his salary wouldn't count against the cap, but by suspending him, they save the actual $$$'s. Which is unbelievably cheap of the Sabres. Wouldn't the insurance cover most of the salary?

Forum Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:00 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Ghost View Post
It's not about the cap, it's strictly about dollars. By putting him on IR, his salary wouldn't count against the cap, but by suspending him, they save the actual $$$'s. Which is unbelievably cheap of the Sabres. Wouldn't the insurance cover most of the salary?
wow...that makes it actually worse, if that's any possible...

Damn...how can this be alowed?

I know this **** can't happen here in Canada, as work laws are pretty solid.

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:28 AM
RC51

I hope the NHLPA tells all players that get offers to Buffalo in the off season that life as a Sabre is like this so don't GO

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I hope the NHLPA tells all players that get offers to Buffalo in the off season that life as a Sabre is like this so don't GO
It's not like the Sabres would throw money around anyway...

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Pascal

Meh, I was cheering for the Sabres to make the playoffs, but not anymore.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It's not like the Sabres would throw money around anyway...
the vanek contract really hurt them...

that's just disrespectfull to numienen ....

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:25 PM
wedge

the guy gave everything for the team and he's treated like that. They lack class, that's awful.

makes me think of the Devils and how they treat their UFAs by sendent them to the farm.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:26 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Absolutely disgusting. Nothing else can be said.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:30 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
doesn't insurance cover this type of thing??
I may be thinking of another team, but I think they don't have insurance?

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

The Sabres were in their rights to do it.

Of course, that wasnt a classy act.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 02:44 PM
guapo23

Wow that's horrible !

What a bad move by management.
Moves like this kill team spirit.
Players don;t want to play for cheap ********.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
The Sabres were in their rights to do it.
I don't think we can say that is 100% true. That is why there was a grievance filed. We will have to wait and see how the arbitrator rules before saying whether or not the Sabres were within their rights to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
Of course, that wasnt a classy act.
Agreed 100%.... This shows a complete lack co class on the organization and I hope they get screwed by the grievance.... I also hope they miss the playoffs. I'm glad we don't have an organization like that.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Iwishihadacup

This is a really cheap act by the sabres... they will probably lose one of their experience guys at the end of the season

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

The Buffalo Srooges are at it again.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 08:56 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
wow...that makes it actually worse, if that's any possible...

Damn...how can this be alowed?

I know this **** can't happen here in Canada, as work laws are pretty solid.
What are you talking about? There is no work law that says an employer must pay salary to an employee who is off of work because of a bad heart.

The employer must only keep the job open until the employee is well enough to return.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Oh well it's a business.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Megaforce

Numminen owns the Montreal hockey stick company. You see several NHL goalies with these sticks that read Montreal in big letters. So, ironically the opposition sometimes has the word Montreal while the word Montreal appears nowhere on our team's uniforms, so the opposition has more uniform mentions of Montreal than the Canadiens.

The company is based in Finland and it's been around for a long time. I always liked him for that.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Ghost View Post
Maybe I should refresh my memory before commenting, but... nah. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the Sabres argue that Numminen knew about his heart condition before signing, hence it's nothing related to hockey, hence they do indeed have the right to suspend him.

But flip side, I think the Sabres knew about it too (the problem has cropped up previously with Numminen after all, so obviously EVERYBODY knew there was potential for it to come up again). Yet they still signed him to a nice fat UFA contract all the same.

One has to think they talked about it before the contract was signed. And that there was an agreement made that the Sabres would give him that big salary only on the condition that if it did come up, he'd be ready to be suspended instead of just IR'ed.

And yes, the Sabres have historically cut corners on insurance. Insurance policies on professional hockey players are expensive. Probably moreso on players who have demonstrated histories of heart conditions and couldn't pass training camp physicals. Presumably there's no insurance on Numminen's contract. The cap doesn't matter to the Sabres. It's purely $$$. They don't have a lot of $$$. So to get away from paying Numminen, he was suspended.

Which is all well and good if both sides had that arrangement in mind back as the contract was negotiated and camp was approaching.

Where things have gone off the rail perhaps is more recently when Numminen felt he was ready to come back, and then more recently still when he was actually cleared and returned to practise with the team, but the Sabres never lifted the suspension and started his paycheques flowing again. The Sabres seem to want to wait until he's actually in the lineup before paying him. That can't fit even under whatever previous gentlemen's agreement they might have had.

Now, to me, it might have been classless to suspend a guy who has given so much to the organization over the years in the first place. But let's face it, Numminen at his age wasn't going to get $2.6M from anybody else in the league, so I have to try to believe both sides did indeed have an agreement beforehand. Subsequently, however, the Sabres have just gone too far. If they don't have insurance on guys like Connolly or their injured d-men or whoever, well, they're already spilling money on injured assets and paying their callups moreso than maybe they expected. Maybe there is a cash crunch there. But for the pro-rated $500k or less that Numminen might have left on his contract, that's a pretty cold-hearted extra step to take by them.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Belso

Buffalo got what they deserve. UFA don't want to play there as much anymore because of the way they treat their player..

I'm glad they suck this year...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Sounds like Numminen actually did have a clause in his contract agreeing to suspension without pay. And that it's more the NHLPA objecting to the precedent that such a clause would set than any particularly strong battle between Numminen and the Sabres themselves. FWIW.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
I used to hate buffalo because...well you know...just cause I'm a habs fan. But now, I genuinely hate them for being an inhumane, unsupportive, disgusting hockey club.

Congrats on being tool.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Forum Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
[SIZE="1"]
If they don't have insurance on guys like Connolly or their injured d-men or whoever, well, they're already spilling money on injured assets and paying their callups moreso than maybe they expected. Maybe there is a cash crunch there. But for the pro-rated $500k or less that Numminen might have left on his contract, that's a pretty cold-hearted extra step to take by them.
In his book "Future Greats and Heartbreaks", Gare Joyce calls Sabres' owner Tom Golisano "penny-wise and pound foolish" (for decimating the scouting staff & saving maybe $750k - the price of a poorly-scouted fourth-liner). I think this is another example of that.

Forum Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote