HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers a seller at the trading deadline?!

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 06:39 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
The Rangers a seller at the trading deadline?!

According to Diamos, there is a growing sentiment among Ranger brass (including Sather) that the Ranger could be a seller at the trading deadline. Common sense from this organization? Bestill my heart! :p

Old
02-06-2004, 07:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
According to Diamos, there is a growing sentiment among Ranger brass (including Sather) that the Ranger could be a seller at the trading deadline. Common sense from this organization? Bestill my heart! :p
I have to wonder what do they really have to sell?

Also, this is hardly a conscious decision, the Rangers are 8 points back of the 8th spot with one team ahead of them (Buffalo) and two right on their heels (Florida and Atlanta). They be sellers (as much as they can be) because of their circumstance not by choice.

02-06-2004, 07:33 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I'll give you three names right off the bat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

Also, this is hardly a conscious decision, the Rangers are 8 points back of the 8th spot with one team ahead of them (Buffalo) and two right on their heels (Florida and Atlanta). They be sellers (as much as they can be) because of their circumstance not by choice.
Kovalev, Nedved and Poti. All three have contracts that expire at the end of the year, and most of this year's contracts are paid up. While Sather may not make a killing, each player could bring back picks and/or prospects.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Kovalev, Nedved and Poti. All three have contracts that expire at the end of the year, and most of this year's contracts are paid up. While Sather may not make a killing, each player could bring back picks and/or prospects.
I guess.

Nedved's contract is up (although he has a club option for next season)

Poti is still due another year @ 3.1M.

Kovalev is up at the end of the season but it would cost a lot for a team to sign him. Teams might now want to give up all that much for a rental that they will let walk.

Good names though.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Laches

I can't think of many players on the team I wouldn't trade. This whole thing need to be blown up so we can start from scratch.

Nedved, Kovalev and Poti would be a good start. Let's give Leetch and Mess one more shot at glory by sending them to contenders. Holik, Kaspar, De Vries and Jagre we're probably stuck with. I can't fathom why anyone would want Malakhov or Mironov, but for a late pick, I'd be happy to oblige. Rucinsky, Barnaby and Simon could potentially interest a contending team and bring a marginal return at the deadline.

In any case, let the fire sale begin!

Old
02-06-2004, 10:10 AM
kazo

Leetch remains the key if any serious rebuilding is to begin. Most everbody else's value is lessened by rediculous contract $, FA status, or lack of talent. Rucinsky, Barnaby, Simon, and maybe Poti might be exceptions.

Old
02-06-2004, 10:34 AM
NYR469

Quote:

first off it IS by choice cause in past years they have been in similar situations and opted to trade young players for the most overpaid player on the market in hopes of sneaking into the 8th seed...

and even if we only get midlevel prospects and draft picks in return, it would still be reason to celebrate because for the first time in 7 year it would mean the rangers didn't go for the quick fix but instead actually looked toward the future and took the first step toward possibly fixing things and changing the way the team is run...

Old
02-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Fletch

Kovalev would be a nice rental...

with about 3/4 - 7/8 of his contract already paid for by that time, most any team in the race can afford him and he can help. If he really is put out there, the return may not be great, but it won't be horrible if you can get multiple bidders.

Poti may have a couple takers here and there. On a better team with a decent defensive partner, he wouldn't be so bad.

Rucinsky's worth a 3-5 rounder. Malakhov a 5-7 rounder, if any. Ditto Mironov, maybe a fourth if the Rangers are lucky. Barnaby may fetch a third or fourth too.

Leetch? It's tough to trade him when there is noone to take his place. The PP is bad enough, imagine no point guy?

Messier...Would he want to abandon ship? My guess is he'd rather not abandon ship unless the Rangers totally give up, then perhaps a move. Would someone take him? The Devils have Larionov...why not?

Old
02-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Profet

Quote:

Well we are on the hook for half of Jagr's remaining salary...any chance we stay on the hook for 1/4 of his remaining salary and try to trade him at 3mill a season? i'm sure we could get some prospects/picks for Jagr at 3mill per.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:29 PM
TKLOOCH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Poti may have a couple takers here and there. On a better team with a decent defensive partner, he wouldn't be so bad.

Rucinsky's worth a 3-5 rounder. Malakhov a 5-7 rounder, if any. Ditto Mironov, maybe a fourth if the Rangers are lucky. Barnaby may fetch a third or fourth too.

Leetch? It's tough to trade him when there is noone to take his place. The PP is bad enough, imagine no point guy?

Messier...Would he want to abandon ship? My guess is he'd rather not abandon ship unless the Rangers totally give up, then perhaps a move. Would someone take him? The Devils have Larionov...why not?
This is a bit much, no? I mean Kovalev, Nedved, Hlavac(Granted you wont get much), Mironov, Malakhov and possibly Dunham should be sold, but no way will Sather or the Rangers gut the entire team. You probably wont be able to move Holik, Jagr, Lindros and you should definately keep Rucinsky around as he has done nothing but hustle and compete. Add in Simon, Messier and Barnaby and you have around 6 vets on offense that could be complemented with our own youngins or others thru trades. The point is, is I dont think the best thing to do is to gut the whole team of vets. I mean guys like Simon, Barnaby and Rucinsky dont quit and would be much more helpful to aiding the team in guiding the youth rather than trading them for a 5th.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:34 PM
RushingRocket

Send a message via AIM to RushingRocket Send a message via Yahoo to RushingRocket
Could we get a guy like Antropov in return for Kovalev?
He's a little bit a a project but...he could pay off.
Then again, the Rangers don't really do "projects" that well...

Old
02-06-2004, 02:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
Well we are on the hook for half of Jagr's remaining salary...any chance we stay on the hook for 1/4 of his remaining salary and try to trade him at 3mill a season? i'm sure we could get some prospects/picks for Jagr at 3mill per.
I think part of the the restructuring of Jagr's contract included a no trade clause.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Edge

i think a contending team would be willing to trade for kovalev {he does have a cup under his belt and a fairly good playoff track record} and give up a late first rounder.

the others are more vague. if leetch is willing his return could be pretty decent.

Barnaby, Simon could fetch something.

Nedved might get decent prospect.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKLOOCH22
This is a bit much, no? I mean Kovalev, Nedved, Hlavac(Granted you wont get much), Mironov, Malakhov and possibly Dunham should be sold, but no way will Sather or the Rangers gut the entire team. You probably wont be able to move Holik, Jagr, Lindros and you should definately keep Rucinsky around as he has done nothing but hustle and compete. Add in Simon, Messier and Barnaby and you have around 6 vets on offense that could be complemented with our own youngins or others thru trades. The point is, is I dont think the best thing to do is to gut the whole team of vets. I mean guys like Simon, Barnaby and Rucinsky dont quit and would be much more helpful to aiding the team in guiding the youth rather than trading them for a 5th.
Rucinsky, Simon, Barnaby and Messier (as is Kovalev) are only signed through the end of the year. They might very well have some value to a playoff team and we have no idea whether any of them would have any interest in returning to this organization next year. If we are going to be serious about being sellers at the deadline (be still my beating heart!!!!! ) then we better try and move these players too. The very reason why you want to keep them is the reason why they may have value to a team that needs their grit and skill. If they care so much about the franchise they can always re-sign here over the summer.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
i think a contending team would be willing to trade for kovalev {he does have a cup under his belt and a fairly good playoff track record} and give up a late first rounder.

the others are more vague. if leetch is willing his return could be pretty decent.

Barnaby, Simon could fetch something.

Nedved might get decent prospect.
Think Vancouver might be interested in Kovalev? I know they have some scoring punch (and have Jovocop out), but fans keep talking about how a solid wingers for the Sedins is needed.

Old
02-06-2004, 02:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I think we could fetch something good for barnaby and/or simon to ottawa.
kovalev is a definite playoff rental and we all hope poti could fetch something. anything!

i doubt this would happen this year but what sort of reaction/market do you think we'd get for jagr? with washington paying about half, we only have about $5 per on his contract right now and say we pay half of that, how many teams wouldn't want a jaromir jagr at $2.5M per? heck, even edmonton could afford that! i think that'd be an idea worth entertaining. see just how good of an offer you could get for that one.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:04 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
with washington paying about half, we only have about $5 per on his contract right now and say we pay half of that, how many teams wouldn't want a jaromir jagr at $2.5M per? heck, even edmonton could afford that! i think that'd be an idea worth entertaining. see just how good of an offer you could get for that one.
You're missing one BIG point. It's not that teams could not afford Jagr at $2.5-3m. Most clearly could and probably on most year would. However, chances are good that Jagr will count against any cap that comes into play (hard or soft) at his TOTAL VALUE. Which means $11m. And that is what will keep teams away from him. All except our Rangers, off course, who can not see past their own noses.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Edge

what? you mean sather didn't find some shrewd miracle way to make this team better AND beat the system.

You lie!

Old
02-06-2004, 03:13 PM
NYR469

guys like kovalev, rucinsky and leetch could have tremendous value to western conference contenders that might be looking to match the fire power of colorado...not many teams can match colorado's offense and teams might look at it as there is no way you are going to be able to completely shut them down so you are gonna need to be able to score too...

of course our guys aren't the only ones available...bondra and guys like that are available and might fit the bill better

Old
02-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Leetchie2

vCash:
I highly doubt Glen Sather will ever be a seller

As long as this man is GM of the Rangers, he won't be a seller because he needs to make the playoffs in order to keep his job. That is the unfortunate truth. In fact, I was reading an article today that talked about how he's looking to ACQUIRE a goalie. Same old crap. We're a lost cause until Slats goes.

Old
02-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Troy Mallette

Rangers being a seller at the trade deadline? I will believe it when I see it, especially, as others have pointed out, given Sather's job is on the line.

That said, I would love to see Leetch go to a contender. Not only would we get a great return, but it would give me a team to root for in April.

Old
02-06-2004, 06:14 PM
TKLOOCH22

Vancouver could be an extremely great team to trade with.

Matt Cooke, Ryan Kesler, Jason King, Kirill Koltsov and possibly R.J. Umberger. Along with picks. Nice.

Closed Thread