HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Let Rozy walk???

Old
03-23-2008, 07:25 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
To clarify RE: shut-down d...Rosie doesn't put the fear of God into opposing forwards, and that's what I meant. Yes, he's done well against other teams' top lines, but for $5.5MM, I may want to see what else is available.
i absolutely agree, and im sure sather will do that but if rozy will resign for 4-4.5....heck even 4.75 he is a deal....he is a legit top-pairing defenceman in the national hockey league.....4.75 million for a top pairing defenceman is average....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 09:10 PM
NY Ranger86

As shaky as he's been playing as of late, u cant let him go. Free up space with Mara and Backman if you want better D. Shanny most likely gone, so thatll add more cap space. AND Jagr is not going ANYWHERE, so sick of reading about it. Who's the poster boy next season when we play at Prague? JAGR. He's the one who made that game happen, but ya we'll be letting him go next year. 2nd highest in points on the team, but "hey mr. jagr, see ya later" i think NOT.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Roszival will (rightfully) ask for over 5 million per year. I think this one can go either way.

He's also not a legitimate #1 NHL defenseman but Renney's defensive system, his above average offensive skills, and this offseason's market will sure make him look like one. The Rangers picked him off of a terrible Pittsburgh's scrapheap a few years ago, then again, if he wants to take the money and run away from the franchise that benefitted him the most, who could blame him?...Some team WILL offer him 4-5 years (25-30 million), and the Rangers wont be that team. Like I said, can go either way. Im actually not too worried 1. because this season isnt even over and 2. Renney and Lundqvist can mask a lot of problems in the defensive end.

I like the idea of signing Orpik at a reasonable price. Theres something really beneficial to having a mean defenseman. A guy that makes forwards think twice in everything they do.

Staal-Roszival (or UFA)
Tyutin-Girardi
Orpik-Mara (if he takes a slight paycut)

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
To clarify RE: shut-down d...Rosie doesn't put the fear of God into opposing forwards, and that's what I meant. Yes, he's done well against other teams' top lines, but for $5.5MM, I may want to see what else is available.
A - if you mean he doesn't put the fear of God into opposing forwards as in he doesn't hit often enough... Why should that matter? Most team have 3rd pairing guys who average 13-15 mins a game for that. Guys like Lidstrom, Tallinder, Hannan, etc. hardly ever hit.

If you mean do people try and avoid him on the ice and exploit the other pairings? I don't re-watch every game, but I do know Ruff tried getting Briere's line on vs Tyutin and Girardi instead of Rozsival. Renney had more success there though and Briere ended up playing Rozy about 65% (roughly) of his ice time at ES. And all the points he got were in the other 35%.

B - That's the thing, who is available?
For 5.5 million? A top-4 guy with offensive ability, decent puckmover, willing to take abuse to make plays, and has been used consistently against other teams' top pairing? Noone.
The best three guys available are Rozsival, Redden and Campbell.
The market for defensemen went crazy last season, and I don't see why it should be any different this summer. Only 3 high-profile guys are available, everyone else is at the very, very best a #4 defenseman, if that (Commodore, Kalinin etc).
If Sather can pull of a deal for Bieksa or someone, then sure, signing Rozy for 5-6 million would be redundant. But unless that happens (meaning a good trade), Rozy's the best UFA option for every single team in the league lwhich needs for an all-around RH defenseman.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:23 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
If rozsival leaves I wouldn't mind the rangers looking to pick up filip kuba either through trade or free agency depending on his contract status. Rozsival is a better player however they have similar style. I think that kuba could be the stop gap I'd be worried about if rozsival leaves. I think he could be had for a reasonable price and wouldn't be signing a 5 year deal with a no trade clause.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:48 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
If rozsival leaves I wouldn't mind the rangers looking to pick up filip kuba either through trade or free agency depending on his contract status. Rozsival is a better player however they have similar style. I think that kuba could be the stop gap I'd be worried about if rozsival leaves. I think he could be had for a reasonable price and wouldn't be signing a 5 year deal with a no trade clause.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 04:22 AM
mike14

Kuba is signed for 2 more years @ $3m per. can't see the Lightning let him go unless it's for massive overpayment

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 04:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
I sorta agree with RB here.
I watched Rozsival quite often during 03-04 lockout season(he played for my favourite Czech club) and he seemed to DONE.
Rangers gave him second chance to play NHL with right players(mainly JJ and Malik) and Rozsival took his chance(thankfully).
It's time to take home discount, similar to what Kaberle did.
5 years/4.2M$ per
Thank you.I'm not talking about about paying him $2.5 million per.It's $3.5-$4 million which is what most of the defensemen have received as potential group III's to remain with their current teams.Pavel Kubina could have stayed in TB for a nice salary but he went for the big money with the Leafs and all he hears is how much he sucks.He isn't a team player because he refused to waive his NTC.The Leafs should send him to the Marlies in the AHL as a sort of punishment.The Leafs can't wait to trade him this summer when the window opens up which allows the Leafs to trade Kubina if they miss the playoffs.Who needs that ****?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 06:24 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Potential group III's in 2008 who re-upped with their current teams.

Barrett Jackman-4 years/$14.4 million
Nick Schultz-6 years/$21 million
Kevin Bieksa-3 years/$11.25 million
Paul Martin-3 years/$11.75 million
Robyn Regher-5 years/$20 million/NMC

2007 group III's who gave up UFA to stay with their current teams

Sami Salo-4 years/$15 million
Chris Phillips-4 years/$15 million
Craig Rivet-4 years/$15 million
Eric Brewer-4 years/$17 million

Old
03-24-2008, 06:31 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Prucha/Liffiton to Calgary for Rhett Warrener
Rozie resigns at 3 years 14 M (cap hit of 4.66 M)

Rozie - Staal

Girardi - Tyutin

Warrener - Backman

Hutch/Baranka, new tough UFA Defensive D signed

Super talent pool - Sanguinetti, Sauer, Potter in Hartford (to start)

Cap hit on D is then about:
Rozie 4.666
Staal 827
Girardi 1,550
Backman 2,300
Warrener 2,300
Tyutin 2,844
Hutch/Baranka 800 ?
UFA D 550 ?

Total is around 15.237 USD. Pretty reasonable imo.
ADD on around 7.675 USD in goal (Lundy/Vally?)
Add for cap overage 1.375 this year
Presume cap hit is 55,500 next year
This leaves around 31 million for the signing of forwards

Lets just speculate and say Jagr is resigned at 5,500, Avery at 3,500 and Dawes at 900. This is 9.900 million.
We already have 18.056 USD tied up in 8 players (Gomez, Drury, Callahan, Betts, Hollweg, Sjostrom, Orr, Dubinsky)
We are then tight up against the cap - but could afford taking a chance on Cherepenov coming over and signing with NYR. And signing one more gritty UFA at 1-2 million (or utilizing some chips).I would like to see Korpedo replace Hollweg in the lineup next year as well. Something like:

Cherepenov - Dubinsky - Jagr

Dawes - Gomez - Avery

Callahan - Drury - Sjostrom

Korpedo - Betts - Orr/new UFA with grit

Waiting: AA, Byers, Moore, Bourret, Huge, Paranteau (AHLer?), Dupont, Owens, Gratton

Adding on the above D - man is the talent pool loaded. Some of these guys are going to be have used as tradechips further down the road - hopefully attaining a good return - as there is no way that more than a handful of these future NHL talents cracks the roster in ŽNYC. not a bad scenario actually.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Thank you.I'm not talking about about paying him $2.5 million per.It's $3.5-$4 million which is what most of the defensemen have received as potential group III's to remain with their current teams.Pavel Kubina could have stayed in TB for a nice salary but he went for the big money with the Leafs and all he hears is how much he sucks.He isn't a team player because he refused to waive his NTC.The Leafs should send him to the Marlies in the AHL as a sort of punishment.The Leafs can't wait to trade him this summer when the window opens up which allows the Leafs to trade Kubina if they miss the playoffs.Who needs that ****?
That's rubbish. Kubina's been absolutely stellar since the trade deadline and the Leafs are riding their D and Toskala and winning games that they have no business winning.
They're 4 points out of the 8th with back-to-back games vs the 8th placed Bruins coming up.
Kubina's been worth the money this season for the Leafs, especially the way he stepped up since McCabe came back.

I don't think you'll see many Leaf fans saying Kubina sucks. Overpaid, sometimes. But overall, he's probably been their D over the last two seasons.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Same as Corto, i disagree about Kubina.
He has been quite good this season for Leafs, sure he is overpriced, but it's not like he is not playing well.
Shame his contract really sucks, he is a warrior, someone who can clear the crease and shoot the puck.
I always liked him when he played for national team, all-heart performance.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:56 AM
mstraka82

Rosi doesnt deserve alot but he should come back

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 09:38 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I would keep Roszival only after a) sign Redden or Campbell or b) Let Sanguinetti and Stall or Girardi be our main PP dmen

Roszival is a no. 4 d-man. He might have scored 13 goals and set up some more, but how many is he responsible for giving up.

Personally, I'm done with Roszival.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:08 AM
odd carom

Is there any evidence that management has even approached Roszival's agent about a new contract? Doesn't see like it, which might be an early indication of whether Roszival will return next year.

odd carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I think Rozy is simply the #1 d-man here by default. Other than Staal, we don't have a d-man in our lineup that could claim that position other than Rozy, so he's what we ended up with. We have a pretty remarkable prospect pool of d-men, but I highly doubt Sangs will be NHL ready next season.

Our chances of finding a legitimate 2-way d-man is pretty slim (I think everyone can agree on that). However, the Pens seem to have the exact opposite situation, as they have a log jam of offensive d-men in their line-up that they could deal under the right circumstances. Letang, Gonchar, Whitney and Goligoski are all offensive minded and I can't see the Pens wanting to carry all 4 through next season.

Unfortunately, I think the Pens would look to offload Whitney before any of the others, simply because his contract is back-loaded and they'll be looking to clear some space to sign Hossa and Malkin. We all know what kind of turn-over machine he can be, but he might fit well with Staal. My pick would be Letang, but it might take a lot of resources to pull him away from them. He seems to have great hockey sense, plays physical and is even good in the shootout. Right now he's playing on the 2nd unit behind Whitney/Gonchar, so his production is a bit low. But if he could be had at the right price, he might be a good stop-gap until Sangs is ready.

Orpik makes a lot of sense as well from the defensive minded perspective. He's definitely the physical defensemen we're lacking. Plus if Sangs was ready mid-way through the season, I'd trust Orpik to pick up the defensive slack if we stuck Sangs on the 3rd pairing.

Staal - Letang
Girardi - Toots
Orpik - Backman
Baranka

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That's rubbish. Kubina's been absolutely stellar since the trade deadline and the Leafs are riding their D and Toskala and winning games that they have no business winning.
They're 4 points out of the 8th with back-to-back games vs the 8th placed Bruins coming up.
Kubina's been worth the money this season for the Leafs, especially the way he stepped up since McCabe came back.

I don't think you'll see many Leaf fans saying Kubina sucks. Overpaid, sometimes. But overall, he's probably been their D over the last two seasons.
Three weeks ago,Kubina was a bum,Today they love Kubina.In two weeks,they will go back to hating him and proposing Kubina trades in every forum on this board.

Old
03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Jimmy Collins

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy Collins
what kind of a defenseman is Hutchenson

Jimmy Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:24 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think Rozy is simply the #1 d-man here by default. Other than Staal, we don't have a d-man in our lineup that could claim that position other than Rozy, so he's what we ended up with. We have a pretty remarkable prospect pool of d-men, but I highly doubt Sangs will be NHL ready next season.

Our chances of finding a legitimate 2-way d-man is pretty slim (I think everyone can agree on that). However, the Pens seem to have the exact opposite situation, as they have a log jam of offensive d-men in their line-up that they could deal under the right circumstances. Letang, Gonchar, Whitney and Goligoski are all offensive minded and I can't see the Pens wanting to carry all 4 through next season.

Unfortunately, I think the Pens would look to offload Whitney before any of the others, simply because his contract is back-loaded and they'll be looking to clear some space to sign Hossa and Malkin. We all know what kind of turn-over machine he can be, but he might fit well with Staal. My pick would be Letang, but it might take a lot of resources to pull him away from them. He seems to have great hockey sense, plays physical and is even good in the shootout. Right now he's playing on the 2nd unit behind Whitney/Gonchar, so his production is a bit low. But if he could be had at the right price, he might be a good stop-gap until Sangs is ready.

Orpik makes a lot of sense as well from the defensive minded perspective. He's definitely the physical defensemen we're lacking. Plus if Sangs was ready mid-way through the season, I'd trust Orpik to pick up the defensive slack if we stuck Sangs on the 3rd pairing.

Staal - Letang
Girardi - Toots
Orpik - Backman
Baranka

i agree withthe lines for next year except getting letang will be almost impossible......they will want dubinsky or sanguinetti......he is cheap and playiong big minutes and still very young.....would be hard to get him

i would love to get orpik, he should be the #1 priority for the offseason as he is exactly what the team needs....a big, hard-hitting defenceman who can play 15-18 minutes or more a night

Old
03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Collins View Post
what kind of a defenseman is Hutchenson
Puck-moving pp quarterback type, however probably not quick enough to effectively play that role in the NHL.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i agree withthe lines for next year except getting letang will be almost impossible......they will want dubinsky or sanguinetti......he is cheap and playiong big minutes and still very young.....would be hard to get him

i would love to get orpik, he should be the #1 priority for the offseason as he is exactly what the team needs....a big, hard-hitting defenceman who can play 15-18 minutes or more a night
We're on the same page in terms of Letang requiring a lot going the other way, but I can't say they'd be calling for Dubi or Sangs. The Pens are already rolling 3 of the best centers in the league down the middle (Crosby, Malkin and Staal) and they're bottlenecked by offensive d-men on the blue line. I think they'd be looking for depth on the wings and/or defensive d-men plus picks.

Whitney, on the other hand, could probably be snagged for a decent roster player + mid-prospect + 2nd/3rd. Merely for the sake of clearing space to sign Gonchar, Hossa, Fleury, Malkin, Malone.. etc in the next few seasons.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd carom View Post
Is there any evidence that management has even approached Roszival's agent about a new contract? Doesn't see like it, which might be an early indication of whether Roszival will return next year.
All it takes is a phone call, and you would never know if that phone call ever did happen.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Your Dang Tyutin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
Puck-moving pp quarterback type, however probably not quick enough to effectively play that role in the NHL.

plus he's an unrestricted free agent after this season. As for Rosy, let him walk, he's gonna want at least 4 mill. I can't see giving him that type of cash.

Your Dang Tyutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 12:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
We're on the same page in terms of Letang requiring a lot going the other way, but I can't say they'd be calling for Dubi or Sangs. The Pens are already rolling 3 of the best centers in the league down the middle (Crosby, Malkin and Staal) and they're bottlenecked by offensive d-men on the blue line. I think they'd be looking for depth on the wings and/or defensive d-men plus picks.

Whitney, on the other hand, could probably be snagged for a decent roster player + mid-prospect + 2nd/3rd. Merely for the sake of clearing space to sign Gonchar, Hossa, Fleury, Malkin, Malone.. etc in the next few seasons.
i agree, they will be shopping whitney.....but he is bad......especially defensively....IMO i dont mind a defenceman who doesnt score a whole lot as long as he is good in his defensive end.....whitney isnt the answer and if the rangers are gonna trade for him, then i would rather trade prucha and moore or some other b-level prospect to toronto for mccabe.....at least he is ok in his defensive zone

Old
03-24-2008, 01:13 PM
odd carom

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
All it takes is a phone call, and you would never know if that phone call ever did happen.

True, although usually you hear something that at least shows there's an interest.

odd carom is offline   Reply With Quote