HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Let's clear some things up about the Blues...

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 11:59 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Let's clear some things up about the Blues...

Management has not yet decided whether or not they're going to try to improve their team or be sellers at the deadline (per today's St. Louis Post Dispatch).

However, some things do need to be cleared up.

If the Blues do decide to become sellers, they will not be tearing apart the franchise. Chris Pronger will not be going anywhere. Neither will Doug Weight (NTC). Neither will Keith Tkachuk (NTC). Other current NHLers probably not going anywhere would be: Jackman, Backman, Boguniecki, Cajanek, & Salvador. These are the players that the foundation of the team will be built around.

Chances are, the only players that would be on the market are:
1. Pavol Demitra (RFA)
2. Scott Mellanby (UFA)
3. Dallas Drake (UFA)
4. Jeff Finley (UFA)
5. Sasha Khavanov (UFA)
6. Chris Osgood (Team Option/UFA)

In return, the Blues would likely be looking for young players that are ready or very close to being ready for the NHL.

If you want to assume the Blues will be sellers, then feel free to make a proposal that doesn't include the players mentioned above as not available. It'll only waste everyone's time.

Last edited by degroat*: 02-04-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old
02-04-2004, 12:01 PM
AshRaTempel

Boguniecki? I'd have thought he'd be available for the right price.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:02 PM
degroat*

Boguniecki would be available if the Blues were trying to improve the team right now. However, as a rebuilding team, his production is too valuable at his price.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:03 PM
punchy1

These are the specific reasons why I feel the Blues will not win the cup. If they stay this course with this group of characters as their core then I would expect them not to win the cup for some time.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:04 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Jeez, only 3 points separates 5th thru 9th in the West, so I'm not sure why so many fans are hitting the panic button.
But the Blues do need a kick in the butt, so I think most likely Demitra will be on the move. Mellanby could be a nice playoff rental though...

Old
02-04-2004, 12:05 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
These are the specific reasons why I feel the Blues will not win the cup. If they stay this course with this group of characters as their core then I would expect them not to win the cup for some time.
Good for you.

That's not what this thread is about.

Go away.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:06 PM
AshRaTempel

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Boguniecki would be available if the Blues were trying to improve the team right now. However, as a rebuilding team, his production is too valuable at his price.
Degroat, are you comfortable with Osgood and Divis as your tandem? Boguniecki might intrigue some teams with a goalie to trade.

Personally, I think Osgood will regain his form after the break.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:06 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Jeez, only 3 points separates 5th thru 9th in the West, so I'm not sure why so many fans are hitting the panic button.
I was quite clear in my post that those players are the ones that would be moved IF the Blues decided to be sellers.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Nick Blue

I would add Osgood to that list as well Degroat.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:07 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshRaTempel
Degroat, are you comfortable with Osgood and Divis as your tandem? Boguniecki might intrigue some teams with a goalie to trade.

If the Blues did try to improve their team, goaltending would be the last position they'd concentrate on. They need more help both up front and in goal.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Safir*

Is Demitra more like a center of more like a right winger?

Atlanta may be interested, if he's a good center. I've always liked #38, but I'm not sure if Atlanta can afford Demitra and if they have the assets to aquire him.

I'll start my offer with Pat Stefan...

Old
02-04-2004, 12:08 PM
ehc73

Quote:
I was quite clear in my post that those players are the ones that would be moved IF the Blues decided to be sellers.
Actually I was referring to all of those people proposing to trade Pronger, Weight and the like, not you.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:09 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
I would add Osgood to that list as well Degroat.
Good call...

Old
02-04-2004, 12:10 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Is Demitra more like a center of more like a right winger?

Atlanta may be interested, if he's a good center. I've always liked #38, but I'm not sure if Atlanta can afford Demitra and if they have the assets to aquire him.

I'll start my offer with Pat Stefan...
He's been equally productive at both positions.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:11 PM
ehc73

What would it take to get Mellanby? Just curious considering he's a UFA and might be a decent playoff rental.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Safir*

Quote:
He's been equally productive at both positions.
If the Blues decide to trade him, what do you want from Atlanta?

Old
02-04-2004, 12:19 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshRaTempel

i know hes only been in STL for a little over a year but..

this IS Osgood's Form. This is Chris Osgood. an Inconsistant mediocre goalie who can play OUT OF HIS MIND for periods of time.. And Fall back to not even being a top 30 goalie in the NHL.

Its why Detroit got rid of him, Its why he never took the job over in NYI. And its why hes playing like he is in STL.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Its why Detroit got rid of him, Its why he never took the job over in NYI. And its why hes playing like he is in STL.
He was the biggest reason why NYI made the playoffs two years ago. then he got injured and lost the starting job to a hot Snow. Mondays game was not vintage Osgood.

He, and he alone won us multiple game at the beginning of the year. Every goalie including Marty will get pulled at some point during the year....

TOMACE, I don't know enough about Atlanta to reply. I would expect that Demitra, who I consider Elite, to have trade value to teams like Minn, Atlanta, Nashville, Chicago, Teams that have low overall player costs and can afford to add a top player at 6.5 mil. per year and not have to worry about potential cap infractions/implications.

I would hope that he brings Keith Tkachuck type return - young scoring forward w/ highend potential, cheap mid ranger, Decent prospect, and a pick. But that is asking way to much.

Last edited by Frenzy1: 02-04-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old
02-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Snugglepuss

To St.Louis: Brendan Bell, 1st rounder in 05
To Toronto: Pavol Demitra

Would you do that deal?

Old
02-04-2004, 12:25 PM
punchy1

That is EXACTLY what this thread is about mate. What your team would need to do in order to win the cup and what it will and won't be doing. You made a statement that said that YOU believe what your team will and won't do (an opinion by the way, not a fact) and I stated what I felt the results of that line of thought would be. I won't "go away" as I feel we all have the right to respond to what another poster places on these public boards. Sorry mate, but your bullying is getting old. I am done with the attack business that you wallow in and won't discuss it further.

My opinion is that the Blues need to move the core players you would protect as they seem to have a poor chemistry together. The title of the thread is "Lets clear some things up about the Blues". Do you mean "The only truth about the Blues is what I degrout has to say about them?" just curious.

I feel that your opinion is the opposite of what needs to be done. I would move Weight/Tkachuk/Bogunieci and Keep Drake. First, I don't think the Blues should panic or do any of this yet, they have come this far with this team, they should stick it out until the deadline and see if something outside their team influences their chances on winning. Injuries to other teams key players etc can have a serious impact on how things turn out. Osgood could catch a hot streak like JS did last year and carry them to a division title game, too many factors with things being this close to do anything drastic yet.

If though, things don't straighten out, then I would make those changes. Tkachuk and Weight might be the exact type of players that other teams will over pay for in the hopes to win the cup. They cost allot of money and after the CBA with Pronger around $9mill and Tkachuk and Weight costing a bit over average as well, if their is a salary cap it could mean that the Blues, in order to keep these lads will have to lose some of their younger talented players. Disaster to my way of thinking.

If I thought I didn't have a legitimate chance and where in the Blues situation, I would look to move these two for certain in order to be able to hang on to my young talent. I also would be looking to move Weight and Tkachuk for young talent and picks that would help make the young players like Jackman etc become the core to win a cup with. In other words, give these top players you have now (tkachuk etc) one last shot until the trade deadline to put it back together and if they don't, do a partial sale. Too much talent in your younger players to call it a total retooling.

Of course, again, not meant to offend, just my take on what needs to be done to get things straight about the Blues.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:35 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
He was the biggest reason why NYI made the playoffs two years ago. then he got injured and lost the starting job to a hot Snow. Mondays game was not vintage Osgood.
and thats not the first time this has happened to him.

3-4 years ago in Detroit. he started the season like he did this year in STL. He had a sub 2.00 GAA, and a +.940 Save %. They played St. Louis and he broke his hand gloving an Al MacInnis Slap Shot. he came back, was attrocious and lost his Starting Job to Manny Legace. There were already reports and "unnamed quotes" that the guy had TERRIBLE practicing habits. So much so that one big report came out and flooded the radio stations in Detroit that Steve Yzerman pulled him aside and told him he needs to "grow up and Focus." So when he didnt come back in top form, people wondered if he was even practiciting before he returned.

Again, you arent telling me anything new. Detroit fans have been living through this since he was Drafted and then made his Debut. This is Chris Osgood, what you see is exactly what you get. If you could ever predict what form he would be, and which he would return to, you would be Coach of the year in the NHL.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:35 PM
blues1234

Quote:
That is EXACTLY what this thread is about mate. What your team would need to do in order to win the cup and what it will and won't be doing. You made a statement that said that YOU believe what your team will and won't do (an opinion by the way, not a fact) and I stated what I felt the results of that line of thought would be. I won't "go away" as I feel we all have the right to respond to what another poster places on these public boards. Sorry mate, but your bullying is getting old. I am done with the attack business that you wallow in and won't discuss it further.

My opinion is that the Blues need to move the core players you would protect as they seem to have a poor chemistry together. The title of the thread is "Lets clear some things up about the Blues". Do you mean "The only truth about the Blues is what I degrout has to say about them?" just curious.

I feel that your opinion is the opposite of what needs to be done. I would move Weight/Tkachuk/Bogunieci and Keep Drake. First, I don't think the Blues should panic or do any of this yet, they have come this far with this team, they should stick it out until the deadline and see if something outside their team influences their chances on winning. Injuries to other teams key players etc can have a serious impact on how things turn out. Osgood could catch a hot streak like JS did last year and carry them to a division title game, too many factors with things being this close to do anything drastic yet.

If though, things don't straighten out, then I would make those changes. Tkachuk and Weight might be the exact type of players that other teams will over pay for in the hopes to win the cup. They cost allot of money and after the CBA with Pronger around $9mill and Tkachuk and Weight costing a bit over average as well, if their is a salary cap it could mean that the Blues, in order to keep these lads will have to lose some of their younger talented players. Disaster to my way of thinking.

If I thought I didn't have a legitimate chance and where in the Blues situation, I would look to move these two for certain in order to be able to hang on to my young talent. I also would be looking to move Weight and Tkachuk for young talent and picks that would help make the young players like Jackman etc become the core to win a cup with. In other words, give these top players you have now (tkachuk etc) one last shot until the trade deadline to put it back together and if they don't, do a partial sale. Too much talent in your younger players to call it a total retooling.

Of course, again, not meant to offend, just my take on what needs to be done to get things straight about the Blues.
I agree with you the blues will not win the cup and would trade Tkachuk and Weight, the only problem is they have NTC and make to much money. If the blues could get something for them I would do it.

I still think the blues should trade Weight the the wings. And then try to trade Tkachuk to the Eastern conference.

Old
02-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Chemistry isn't the problem, unless you refer to the lack of scoring from the 2nd line. They are in a funk.. They have outshot many teams in the losing streak and but can't score. The PK and PP which were both flying have fallen way, way off....

If chemistry was problem they wouldn't have made the playoffs last season and would be well out of it this season. Instead they have expectations, even w/ injuries, to make and compete in the playoffs.

You have stated on a couple of occassions that you don't like the mix of players and that certain players or cancers. I haven't heard anything about this or these problems and I follow the team very closely (as all rabid fans do). Why do you think certain players are cancers and why they lack chemistry as a team?

I am not saying that your opinions are not valid, but I wan't to know where you are getting them from and why you believe this.

Walknucklers. It would take more then Bell and a 1st to get Demitra, IMO.

As for Atlanta, I think the Blues would ask for Coburn AND..... I am not sure if Atlanta would consider getting rid of Coburn, lots of tallent and potential - but that doesn't mean it will ever be realized.

Last edited by Frenzy1: 02-04-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old
02-04-2004, 12:49 PM
degroat*

Quote:
That is EXACTLY what this thread is about mate.
Sorry mate, This thread has nothing to do with why you think the Blues won't win the Cup.

This thread was purely informative to put an end to the ridiculous Pronger proposals, mate.

Your obsession with the Blues has gotten old already and I've only known about it for a few hours.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Just wishing here. Three guys on the Blues roster I'd like to add to NYI heading into the stretch run and playoffs:

Mellanby - vet experience, grit up front
Mayers - grit (normally) front
Baron - grit on the backline as a depth dman.

Not sure of the contract status of these three. INO, only guys who might fit Blues needs and who NYI might consider moving would be Parrish and Mapletoft.

Not proposing a swap here, just thinking out loud.

Closed Thread