HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller blading

Old
03-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 500
Roller blading

Quick question for you guys: I can ice skate very well (been doing it since I was young), and I can roller blade quite well too (6 years or so). However, I'm looking to take my rollerblading skills to another level. I can do all the complex stuff like backwards crossovers and can stop on a dime, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites/videos/other sources that teach the really high level, "expert" stuff or give tips for using your skating to maximize your hockey play?

I'm basically looking for tips about maximizing my acceleration, cardio programs, developing leg strength, transitioning, and things like that.

Thanks for the help gents

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Quick question for you guys: I can ice skate very well (been doing it since I was young), and I can roller blade quite well too (6 years or so). However, I'm looking to take my rollerblading skills to another level. I can do all the complex stuff like backwards crossovers and can stop on a dime, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites/videos/other sources that teach the really high level, "expert" stuff or give tips for using your skating to maximize your hockey play?

I'm basically looking for tips about maximizing my acceleration, cardio programs, developing leg strength, transitioning, and things like that.

Thanks for the help gents
Can you elaborate on that? Indoors, outdoors, wheels etc. I cannot imagine someone could stop on a dime without their wheels well matched to a very consistent surface.

This may be a good thread to discuss the technical differences at a high level ("expert stuff")

I would think most of the physical training should be very similar to that of ice skating.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Can you elaborate on that? Indoors, outdoors, wheels etc. I cannot imagine someone could stop on a dime without their wheels well matched to a very consistent surface.

This may be a good thread to discuss the technical differences at a high level ("expert stuff")

I would think most of the physical training should be very similar to that of ice skating.
Sure I'll elaborate - I skate indoors (on I believe it's called "Sport Court" at my indoor hockey rink) with my Mission skates, wheel sizes 80-76-76-72 mm. All wheels are 76A in hardness and have extra grip ("sticky"); they are Rink Rats I believe. I change my wheels every 4-6 weeks, skating roughly 2x a week competitively (playing actual hockey rather than working out for endurance).

I welcome anyone with similar questions about rollerblading to co-hijack this thread so we could all learn something haha

Old
03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
Sure I'll elaborate - I skate indoors (on I believe it's called "Sport Court" at my indoor hockey rink) with my Mission skates, wheel sizes 80-76-76-72 mm. All wheels are 76A in hardness and have extra grip ("sticky"); they are Rink Rats I believe. I change my wheels every 4-6 weeks, skating roughly 2x a week competitively (playing actual hockey rather than working out for endurance).

I welcome anyone with similar questions about rollerblading to co-hijack this thread so we could all learn something haha
Thanks Sniper!

How does Sport Court compare to smooth concrete? Do you stop as often as you would on ice?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:

That's almost 5 years worth of stopping on a dime. I skate on asphault. Hopefully, i'll be getting new wheels this week. I definitley pushed these to the limit... the back wheel especially.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

how the hell do you even stop on a dime anyway? Do you basically stop very similar to a "hockey stop" on ice?

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
how the hell do you even stop on a dime anyway? Do you basically stop very similar to a "hockey stop" on ice?
Yes, exactly like a hockey stop on ice.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
deanosaur

call me stupid but on rollerblades and dooing the stop same way as doing it on the ice.. is doable? haha ive tried failed. i prefer ice.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Thanks Sniper!

How does Sport Court compare to smooth concrete? Do you stop as often as you would on ice?
Sport court has one huge advantage over the smoothest of concretes - it treats your wheels a lot better. I used to play hockey outdoors at the park with my friends on basketball courts, which is fairly smooth concrete, and my wheels would be shredded like the previous poster's wheels within just a few sessions. Sport court provides something close to the smoothness of ice, allowing you to do power slides and hard stops without little chunks of rubber (usually) falling off of your wheels.

EDIT: You can by little 4' x 2' strips of sport court from a lot of hockey suppliers. I personally own one that I take to the park and shoot pucks off of with my good stick to keep it from scratching up the lie of the blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
call me stupid but on rollerblades and dooing the stop same way as doing it on the ice.. is doable? haha ive tried failed. i prefer ice.
It looks the same, though I personally use slightly different techniques.

Old
03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The weight shift is very different stopping on rollerblades as compared to icehockey.

You have no "edges", so basically you find the lean on the skate that allows the wheels to slide sideways.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote