HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Lowe just being coy?

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 01:01 PM
rec28

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to rec28
Is Lowe just being coy?

Apparently Lowe is not looking at making any deals with Florida...

'No," said Lowe, asked if he's talked to Dudley about a trade involving Smith or any other player in recent weeks. "There's nothing going on."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040204/nhl_edm2-sun.html

Am I the only one blind with rage over Lowe's implication that he's not looking to make any moves? I realize that this quote only refers to Florida, but it kind of sounds like more of a blanket statement to me. I've been a big fan of his to date, but if he's not looking to make any moves whatsoever, he's crossed the line into irresponsible management, IMHO. After the crap that we've been forced to endure lately, in order to at least begin to placate the fans the very least he could come up with is something like "we're looking at all our options". Please, Kevin, give us *some* reason to hold on to some freakin' hope!

/rant off

Old
02-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Slats432

It is all a matter of perception. I didn't at all take it as he isn't talking with anyone. I took it in the context of meaningful discussion with Dudley.

I have heard several interviews that Lowe says that he is talking to other GMs every single day. Whether or not they are talking about players, CBA or the weather in Palm Springs, who knows?

I would expect he has some irons in the fire, but nothing worth discussing. Lowe has in the past said that he doesn't like to feed the rumour mill and even if he talked to Dudley recently, it wouldn't make sense to say, "Sure we have talked about Smith, and he is offering that floater Huselius...I want Jokinen." That would be counter productive. Until he is 100% sure that the team is Pebble Beach bound, he will likely be very silent.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Enough Already

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28
Apparently Lowe is not looking at making any deals with Florida...

'No," said Lowe, asked if he's talked to Dudley about a trade involving Smith or any other player in recent weeks. "There's nothing going on."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040204/nhl_edm2-sun.html

Am I the only one blind with rage over Lowe's implication that he's not looking to make any moves? I realize that this quote only refers to Florida, but it kind of sounds like more of a blanket statement to me. I've been a big fan of his to date, but if he's not looking to make any moves whatsoever, he's crossed the line into irresponsible management, IMHO. After the crap that we've been forced to endure lately, in order to at least begin to placate the fans the very least he could come up with is something like "we're looking at all our options". Please, Kevin, give us *some* reason to hold on to some freakin' hope!

/rant off
I've just about had it with these stupid trade proposal. I'm on Lowe's side on this one. How are the Oilers ever going to get chemistry if they're constantly trading. This team needs stability and what Lowe is saying they're going to go with this group they have right now. People complain they want consistency but then they want to trade half the team. To get consistency, the team needs to keep players together and not make trades all the time.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:26 PM
creative giant*

One thing I've learned about Lowe is that he never talks about trades. When everyone knew that Anaheim was the team Comrie was 'supposed' to be traded to, Lowe still refused to name the team. (even though Bryan Murray admitted to talking with Lowe)

If he's looking to make a move, or not make a move, he won't let us know anyways and all the trades he's made so far seem to come at us from nowhere.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
I've just about had it with these stupid trade proposal. I'm on Lowe's side on this one. How are the Oilers ever going to get chemistry if they're constantly trading. This team needs stability and what Lowe is saying they're going to go with this group they have right now. People complain they want consistency but then they want to trade half the team. To get consistency, the team needs to keep players together and not make trades all the time.
Maybe if they want chemistry, MacT should stick with the same lines for more than 3 shifts. Nothintg I hate more than seeing all three forwards out of position behind the net.

Fact is, this team can't and won't get it done if they keep it the way it is. Just my opinion. If a good trade offer comes along, Lowe should gio for it.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:35 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
It is all a matter of perception. I didn't at all take it as he isn't talking with anyone. I took it in the context of meaningful discussion with Dudley.

...Until he is 100% sure that the team is Pebble Beach bound, he will likely be very silent.
You're probably right, of course. I should lay off the coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Constantly trading? Aside from the Comrie deal which he was forced into, how has Lowe been "constantly trading" this year? This team has had all year to gel and find some/any chemistry - it's painfully obvious that it's not going to happen. What is also painfully obvious is that this team simply does not have the skill to compete in a few very important areas (goal, 1st line, offensive D). IMO, there is no way that Lowe should be satisfied with the make-up of this team, as is.

Old
02-04-2004, 01:41 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28
You're probably right, of course. I should lay off the coffee

Constantly trading? Aside from the Comrie deal which he was forced into, how has Lowe been "constantly trading" this year? This team has had all year to gel and find some/any chemistry - it's painfully obvious that it's not going to happen. What is also painfully obvious is that this team simply does not have the skill to compete in a few very important areas (goal, 1st line, offensive D). IMO, there is no way that Lowe should be satisfied with the make-up of this team, as is.
Since Lowe has been GM, he has made the following deals:

Brewer, Green, pick for Hamrlik
Reasoner, Hecht for Weight
Picks for Hecht
York for Poti, Murray
Isbister, Torres, pick for Niinimaa
Dvorak, Cross for Carter, Pisa
Wyowitka for Comrie

Chemistry doesn't happen in one year. If it did, Ottawa and Vancouver would have Cups right now. I don't think Lowe is happy with this team, and he'll be the first to admit it. But this team isn't about this year anyways, so his happiness with it is in context.

I'm sure he is happy with how Torres, Stoll, Semenov and Conklin have progressed and I am sure he is happy with the fact that Hemsky knows he can play an all round game. Does he want to be in the playoffs? Damn right he does. Does he want to be in there at all costs?

Nope.

Old
02-04-2004, 02:13 PM
HotToddy

One of the worst things a team can do is try and double-down they're way out of a lousy season with trades.

Who can he really move? Laraque and Salo need to be moved but the market value for them is at an all time low. You could only realistically expect a mid-round pick for Big G and Salo is essentially back-up quality now.

Smyth- every team in the league would like him but do we want to trade a guy like that when he's at all time market low? I don't think so.

Smith - yeah his contract status is a factor but I believe Lowe wants to try every possible way to ink him first. Trading him for Huselius would be a blunder.

To me the most logical trade options are Staios and Cross and even then we'll be getting picks most likely.

Old
02-04-2004, 05:14 PM
OilerMania83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Since Lowe has been GM, he has made the following deals:

Brewer, Green, pick for Hamrlik
Reasoner, Hecht for Weight
Picks for Hecht
York for Poti, Murray
Isbister, Torres, pick for Niinimaa
Dvorak, Cross for Carter, Pisa
Wyowitka for Comrie

Chemistry doesn't happen in one year. If it did, Ottawa and Vancouver would have Cups right now. I don't think Lowe is happy with this team, and he'll be the first to admit it. But this team isn't about this year anyways, so his happiness with it is in context.

I'm sure he is happy with how Torres, Stoll, Semenov and Conklin have progressed and I am sure he is happy with the fact that Hemsky knows he can play an all round game. Does he want to be in the playoffs? Damn right he does. Does he want to be in there at all costs?

Nope.
I think it was Niinimaa and a pick for Isbister and Torres...

Old
02-04-2004, 05:55 PM
pucklove

I have this theory..... Edmonton if they do trade with Florda will be shooting for their first round pick. At this point in the season they are just trying to offset the worst case senario (a 9th place finish and a 15th place draft order, an eastern team will make the playoffs with less points.) The draft may have more signifigance this year as it may determine prefference for next year as well if their is a full season lockout. To go after a player that makes the imediate impact fans want seems out of character for the organization. I don't see cost certainty coming from the new CBA; but I do see an amended rookie cap. (I'm basing this on the cost certainty of the the last rookie cap being botched by the owners and the risk of the loss to a team that a player won't sign...hence amended) This makes 1st rounders more desirable to Edmonton's current finacial situation. I'm not saying they are going to throw the towel in; but they are not going out on a limb either. The veterans haven't looked any more consistant than our inexperienced players (okay maybe one or two).As Fans we tend to live and die game to game but if we look at what we building for the future it gives some justification to Mac-T's coaching. The rewarding of ice time to theless talented based on work ethic, the benching of the talented for soft plays, the forcing of our call ups to outperform regulars in Practice to earn thier spot.(keep in mind if Mac-T scratches some players like Smyth at this point he' d be linched) The line juggling still has me baffelled though.

I admit I'm a novice on this board so I welcome your input.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:04 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucklove
I have this theory..... Edmonton if they do trade with Florda will be shooting for their first round pick. At this point in the season they are just trying to offset the worst case senario (a 9th place finish and a 15th place draft order, an eastern team will make the playoffs with less points.) The draft may have more signifigance this year as it may determine prefference for next year as well if their is a full season lockout. To go after a player that makes the imediate impact fans want seems out of character for the organization. I don't see cost certainty coming from the new CBA; but I do see an amended rookie cap. (I'm basing this on the cost certainty of the the last rookie cap being botched by the owners and the risk of the loss to a team that a player won't sign...hence amended) This makes 1st rounders more desirable to Edmonton's current finacial situation. I'm not saying they are going to throw the towel in; but they are not going out on a limb either. The veterans haven't looked any more consistant than our inexperienced players (okay maybe one or two).As Fans we tend to live and die game to game but if we look at what we building for the future it gives some justification to Mac-T's coaching. The rewarding of ice time to theless talented based on work ethic, the benching of the talented for soft plays, the forcing of our call ups to outperform regulars in Practice to earn thier spot.(keep in mind if Mac-T scratches some players like Smyth at this point he' d be linched) The line juggling still has me baffelled though.

I admit I'm a novice on this board so I welcome your input.
If all the Oilers get out of a new CBA is a better rookie cap, the team is done. The Rookie salary cap hasn't hurt us, it's the free spending of about 9 or 10 teams that has.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:05 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerMania83
I think it was Niinimaa and a pick for Isbister and Torres...
It was, I just put the for in the wrong spot.

thanks for the heads up though.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:14 PM
pucklove

I thought paying Comrie hurt us... If we ever get another young Phenom it will again.(phenom lol) Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:29 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucklove
I thought paying Comrie hurt us... If we ever get another young Phenom it will again.(phenom lol) Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.
It only hurt us because he bolted out of town... if he was still here at whatever he signed for in Philly, it would be a different story.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:46 PM
pucklove

I was refering to his previous contract while unproven in the Nhl, He wasn't who I was thinking of though...More the Thorton's,Heatly's, ect.They are extremes I realize and maybe they earned their lucrative bonuses but if you concider the idea that they were only suppose to make the 1.1 million cap that could have made the difference in a some trades the team made.Poor example I know but you know what I mean. Its Time To Watch Hockey I,ll check back later.

Old
02-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy

To me the most logical trade options are Staios and Cross and even then we'll be getting picks most likely.

Staios has been one of our better, most consistant d-man this season, he's leading our d-men with 17 points on the season, & with Lowe inking him to a contract extension, I'd say Staios isn't going anywhere, unless Lowe gets a absolutely over the top offer for Staios..& Cross has been pretty reliable and he's a pretty good d-man, & signed a 3 year deal this past offseason, in which he's making no more then 1.1 in each season. resonable price for a pretty good d-man. I dont think Lowe would sign them to 3 year contracts, if he had any intention of dealing them, especially Staios.

Old
02-05-2004, 01:24 PM
copperaddict

The Oil need a top 2 line center with size!Even when York and Reasoner come back there is still room.Also to find an offensive Dman should be at the top of a need list.There is a guy by the name of Tverdovsky playing in the Russian Super League that would more than upgrade the blueline.In the glory years Sather use to bring that dman over every year just before the playoffs.I know their season ends early,but I don't know if it is still possible to do this?

Old
02-05-2004, 01:46 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
ya, I had said during the offseason that the Oilers should be trying to sign Berard or Tverdovsky. Berard didn't sign for much, and Tverdovsky went to Russia because the money was better then what was being offered here (which means the Oilers could have afforded him too!)

Imagine this blueline:
Brewer-Smith
Semenov-Ulanov
Staios-Berard

Berard is on pace for like 45 points this year and in less then 60 games - what a signing he's been for the Hawks!

Closed Thread