HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antoine Vermette

Old
03-23-2008, 08:13 PM
CBJheadhunter

vCash: 500
Is it looking good in Ottawa that Vermette will be traded? I would involve any of our D (except Hejda, well maybe even Hejda) in a deal to get him...Brule/Fritsche could also go.

CBJheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Hmm. Upon further examination I like the Fritsche part of this even better.
Yeah, I really like that deal.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2008, 09:42 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

would someone like to tell me why Ottawa would want a few players/prospects who haven't panned out for their young, talented second line center???

Vermette is young and proven... why would they give him up?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Vermette wouldn't be our #1, but he'd be a very good addition to the second line. It would be nice to have two legitimate scoring lines for a change.
Vermette would be our number one. Howson loves him.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaterhassasin View Post
Proposal: Ott- Vermette, rights to Redden, Chicago's 2nd in 2008/Ott 2008 1st

CBJ- Ole-Kristian Tollefson, 1st

Pretty good value I think, that is if Redden would wave his no trade, more likely after the season when he knows for sure he won't be back as a sen.

Done in a heartbeat. Quick where do we sign, WHERE DO WE SIGN!

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:39 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I don't think he'd be our clear cut #1 by any stretch.

Again that is playing guys higher in the lineup than they should be. Sure he could perhaps get there someday but you don't pencil this guy into a #1 center position unless you are forced to.

I like Vermette but he's only got 3 years in this league and is looking at a career best year of a 46 to 47 points. Those aren't #1 center numbers. Yes I know he's played lower in the lineup in Ottawa but he's got to prove he can be that go-to guy, we don't hand it to him.

Of course with the way Hitch juggles his lineup there is no doubt Vermette wouldn't get a shot with Nash up there at some point.

Lets be carefull not to build this guy up more than he really is at this point.

I have a feeling at the end of this offseason we may be looking at just having a solid group of centers -- no true #1 per se -- but that would be a hell of a lot better than where we've been.

So thinkin out loud here:

Would anyone be upset with say a Vermette, Lombardi and Modano down the middle in some form or fashion?

Or what about Brendan Morrison, Jeff Carter, Chris Kelly trio?

...or go big and try to land a big fish via trade like Jokinen and then go from there.

I think there are more options out there than we think which is good but I'm starting to warm up to the idea of bringing in two solid #2s and if Peca doesn't work out then grabbing a deal on a 3rd as opposed to blowing our wad on a big time #1.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:51 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Vermette is young and proven... why would they give him up?
If the cap did not exist then ya Vermette would not get dealt but as it does he may make 3.0-3.5 and we can't really afford that.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Monk

Somebody call Howson

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 09:38 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Done in a heartbeat. Quick where do we sign, WHERE DO WE SIGN!
If you have inside information, please share the source. This is the second time in as many day's you've intimated some sort of inside track into the thought process within the organization.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Dionysus

Seems to be a win win for both clubs, Ottawa gets a high draft pick (8ish?) a probable cheap third pairing d-man and possibly a prospect.

Columbus gets their much needed centre, a puck moving d-man, and a late first/early 2nd pick.

Somebody tell the gm's

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Dionysus

With Ottawa's less than mediocre goaltending, another player they might be interested in could be Steve Mason, not sure if he is an untouchable prospect for you guys or not.

Old
03-24-2008, 10:18 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post

Again that is playing guys higher in the lineup than they should be. Sure he could perhaps get there someday but you don't pencil this guy into a #1 center position unless you are forced to.

I like Vermette but he's only got 3 years in this league and is looking at a career best year of a 46 to 47 points. Those aren't #1 center numbers. Yes I know he's played lower in the lineup in Ottawa but he's got to prove he can be that go-to guy, we don't hand it to him.

Of course with the way Hitch juggles his lineup there is no doubt Vermette wouldn't get a shot with Nash up there at some point.

Lets be carefull not to build this guy up more than he really is at this point.

I have a feeling at the end of this offseason we may be looking at just having a solid group of centers -- no true #1 per se -- but that would be a hell of a lot better than where we've been.

Would anyone be upset with say a Vermette, Lombardi and Modano down the middle in some form or fashion?

...or go big and try to land a big fish via trade like Jokinen and then go from there.

I think there are more options out there than we think which is good but I'm starting to warm up to the idea of bringing in two solid #2s and if Peca doesn't work out then grabbing a deal on a 3rd as opposed to blowing our wad on a big time #1.

Going into next year with two true number 2 centers is fine with me if we can couple that with a top pair defender.

If we could land Vermette, Carter and #1 d that would be incredible.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:26 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaterhassasin View Post
With Ottawa's less than mediocre goaltending, another player they might be interested in could be Steve Mason, not sure if he is an untouchable prospect for you guys or not.
My gut feeling is that Howson will not be moving Mason anytime soon. Personally, I think he's too good of a prospect to be thrown into a trade involving Antoine Vermette.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Dionysus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
My gut feeling is that Howson will not be moving Mason anytime soon. Personally, I think he's too good of a prospect to be thrown into a trade involving Antoine Vermette.
Hmm fair enough, I didn't think Mason would be moving, I'll just stick with the original proposal.

Old
03-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
On the surface, this deal looks good. But I'm sure Howson's strategy is to use our first to land a top line center as it's going to be higher than Colorado's. So, I counter with:

Ott - Same as your offer.

CBJ - OKT, Colorado's 1st, Brule/Fritsche.

If you want Brule, we get your first. If you want Fritsche, we get Chicago's second.
I like this, the Fritsche option more than the Brule option.

Ole, COL 1st, Fritsche for Vermette and rights to Redden. Hitch has coached Redden for Team Canada and he obviously fills a hole. I think he would sign here.

Quote:
How do you know Howson loves him?

Quote:

After hearing recently that the Jackets don't like Jokinen, I'm completely on the centre-by-commitee train.

If we can somehow swing the Vermette trade I mentioned above, and also package our first rounder and Brule for Carter, we'd be in good shape.

Essentially,

Brule, Fritsche, Tollefsen, CBJ 1st, COL 1st

FOR

Vermette, Carter, Rights to Redden

After signing Redden, and taking care of some of our own guys, we can throw what's left in the bank at a winger to play on the second line. My choice has been Prospal for a while now, but i'm sure there are a few guys that would work in that position. We could also use a guy like Lindstrom there as well.

Nash - Carter - Modin
Prospal - Vermette - Zherdev
Chimera - Brassard - Voracek
Murray - Malhotra - Boll
Novotny

Klesla - Redden
Hainsey - Hejda
Russell - Methot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Howson made that clear (to me anyway) that he doesn't want to move Russell, Brassard, Voracek or Mason.

Makes sense.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

Exactly what I've been saying for the last week. Malhotra centering Nash is a real possibility next season simply because we aren't landing a Patrick Marleau this off season.

In 4 games the stats are insane for this tandem:

Manny: 5G 2A +4
Nash: 2G 5A +4

If they post a point a game together for the last 7, count on Manny getting a shot at the job in October.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Exactly what I've been saying for the last week. Malhotra centering Nash is a real possibility next season simply because we aren't landing a Patrick Marleau this off season.

In 4 games the stats are insane for this tandem:

Manny: 5G 2A +4
Nash: 2G 5A +4

If they post a point a game together for the last 7, count on Manny getting a shot at the job in October.
I know Manny is on a nice little run here but if he's still in the top 6 next season then Howson should be canned

Old
03-24-2008, 02:59 PM
CBJSlash

Manny is what should be called a pleasant fill-in.

If a center is injured next year....then let Manny center Nash.... but lets not start that way.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 50
The only dilemma with Wade Redden, is I believe he wants to go to a Cup Contender, hence why he wouldn't waive his NTC...Just what I've speculated and what not.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:08 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Why are we not getting a Patrick Marleau?

Putting Manny at top line center for next season is the surest way to kill what little season ticket holder base we have left.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

It really comes down to what Howson can make happen this offseason with trades. I'm pessimistic on the trade front, and of the current crop, I'll take Manny. Brassard of course is a wild card, he could mature exponentially like kids sometimes do at that age(physically and mentally).

Given the look of the UFA market, I'd be shocked if the bulk of our freed up cash isn't sitting in Wade Redden or Brian Campbell's lock boxes next season. And then there are the UFA LW/RW's. Naslund, Shanahan, Nagy, Ryder, Hossa, Demitra, Satan, just to name the big ones. Put one of these guys opposite Nash and I'm convinced the Center position can be filled by any capable of winning > .500 faceoffs, back checking, and firing in the occasional goal.

Old
03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
The only dilemma with Wade Redden, is I believe he wants to go to a Cup Contender, hence why he wouldn't waive his NTC...Just what I've speculated and what not.
The way I percieved it was that Redden thought the Sens were the best chance of him winning a cup this year, and that a trade to any other team would be a step backward.

I honestly don't think the Sens have what it takes to win the cup this season, so after this year I can see Redden wanting to explore his options. He sees Brian Lee on his six and knows he might see his role reduced if he remains a Sen.

The Jackets are a team on the rise, and I think it's possible that Redden would want to be a part of that.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
I'm not sure if trading his rights would eligible under the NTC?

Anyhow he's a UFA this summer so I would suspect that Ottawa would give the Jackets permission to talk with the Jackets to guage his interst and if terms could be worked out then they would work out some sort of compensation. Similar to how Philly/Nashville worked it out last summer. The trade for Timmonen/Hartnell's rights didn't happen until after terms were reached.

Old
03-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 50
Quote:
It really comes down to what Howson can make happen this offseason with trades. I'm pessimistic on the trade front, and of the current crop, I'll take Manny. Brassard of course is a wild card, he could mature exponentially like kids sometimes do at that age(physically and mentally).

Given the look of the UFA market, I'd be shocked if the bulk of our freed up cash isn't sitting in Wade Redden or Brian Campbell's lock boxes next season. And then there are the UFA LW/RW's. Naslund, Shanahan, Nagy, Ryder, Hossa, Demitra, Satan, just to name the big ones. Put one of these guys opposite Nash and I'm convinced the Center position can be filled by any capable of winning > .500 faceoffs, back checking, and firing in the occasional goal.
Naslund's a big maybe kinda, Canuck fans don't want him back though, bad sign.
Shanny will be 40 next year, I think we all can agree we don't want someone that old.
Nagy, eh, maybe.
Ryder- I honestly don't think Montreal will be giving him up, aka, they'll resign.
Hossa-We'd never get him in a million years.
Demitra-meh
Satan- He played this entire season practically on one leg, he's injury prone right now.

Langkow, Marleau(who's had a bad year), are among the best bets IMO

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Why are we not getting a Patrick Marleau?

Putting Manny at top line center for next season is the surest way to kill what little season ticket holder base we have left.
They signed PM for 6.3 per a couple months ago. SJ would have to be in salary dump mode to trade him right after signing him.

So if we bring in Wade Redden, and Pavol Demitra, you think folks would dump their season tickets because our top line could be Nash-Malhotra-Demitra ? That'd be the best top line we've ever iced.