HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Confession Booth: Habs in the playoffs, all those doubted post here.

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2008, 06:43 PM
bipolarhabfan

vCash: 500
I thought that the team would be on the bubble. Anywhere from 5th to 10th. There were too many variables pointing towards that direction for me to feel very optimistic about this year. I thought next season was going to be our coming out party. However, I was always harping on our youth (even to skeptics like my brother) and felt that their development was going to be the predictor of future success. Many have developed faster than I would have thought. And, we cannot forget the play of Alexi Kovalev. He is our MVP this season.

Old
03-23-2008, 06:43 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneaufan44 View Post
I know they can win the cup but I honestly have my doubts, simply because the Habs aren't the only team surging, hopefully San Jose, Detroit, and Ottawa can lose early

The official Hockey News predictions had the Habs finishing 15th in the East, please note the same people had the PEI Rocket finishing 2nd in the Q and 5th in the entire CHL, if you want to check the final standings
Briere must of had something to say about those rankings.

Old
03-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Mathletic

wrong

I thought they would finish 8th
Souray's offense would not be replaced

right

no use for Smolinski and Dandenault
Sergei and O'Byrne had to make the team
Kovalev would be better than last year ... I didn't think he'd be that good though
and dating a couple of years back I said Price was a much better pick than Brule
one last thing, I said the Habs would be at least as good as the Flyers meaning both teams would battle for 8th spot and that it wasn't fair to say the Flyers were a much better team than the Canadiens when Briere signed there
... I'll blow my horn one last time, I said during free agency period that Radim Vrbata would be an interesting guy to have on the team since he had one of the higher total of shots last season ... among other things ... with Chicago and better linemates in Montreal would help him scoring a few more goals. His average scoring percentage was around 12% before last year, he had some ups and downs but usually he was at about 12% and last year he had one of the highest total of shots in the league so I hoped his % percentage would go up and and quantity of shots stay about the same. Now granted he plays on an average team and plays with their best players maybe his production is inflated but I thought he was an interesting guy.

Last edited by Mathletic: 03-23-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old
03-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

I didn't really predict them to be in any specific place, I just made an optimistic points prediction. Here is a quote from another site that I made in September (and yes I like the Rangers too if you were unaware): ''Anyways, my two teams are the Habs and the Rangers. Rangers could be a solid contender this year and I don't know about the Habs. Gainey really didn't do much in the off-season. He signed a few guys, but no blockbusters. We could still have a pretty good season, though. Maybe a 95-100pt season.''

Old
03-23-2008, 06:59 PM
BJCOLLINS

Last year I had us at 7-8th spot. After the meltdown last Feb. I still thought we showed a good push towards the end (minus the TO games).

At the start of this year I looked at the other teams with the legs to get to the PO's. Pitt, Pens, Ott, Atlanta IMHO were locks so I predicted the Habs would be in the 4-6 spot.

O well I was right about Pitt and we have done alright.

PS I had the B's and TO 12 to 15. As any good Hab fan would.

Old
03-23-2008, 07:08 PM
ari1160

i knew habs was going to make the playoffs but never thought we would be first in east. i haad the habs placed between 6th-8th spot.

Old
03-23-2008, 07:11 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
i knew habs was going to make the playoffs but never thought we would be first in east. i haad the habs placed between 6th-8th spot.
Same here. The way Carbo was coaching early in the year had me worried too, but Kovalev decided to show up this year and Hamrlik has been a great addition.

Old
03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Partially right
-They could finish 5 or 6th.
-That the hockey media in general, and the Montreal media in particular were in a competition to see how low they could place the Habs.
(I was particularly shocked when some Montreal commentators had TB, a team that hadn't improved, had no farm and no goaltending would finish 2nd while putting Mtl in 14th)
-That the media were clueless about or seriously undervalued our young players and prospects.
-Hamrlik would seriously help our transition game.
-Our 5 on 5 scoring would improve.

Wrong
-Smolinski and Brisebois would be more helpfull.
-Kostopoulos would be less helpfull.
-How well Kovalev performed.
-To what degree Komisarek and Plekanec improved.
-Ryder was going to score 30 goals.
-Gorges would be a healthy scratch most of the season.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 03-23-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old
03-23-2008, 07:41 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
yes we are.
although not mathamaticly confirmed, 94 pts is enough to make the playoffs.
Mathematics rules all!

Old
03-23-2008, 07:49 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneaufan44 View Post
I personally had them around 5th place, I knew Ottawa would have a good team so I had them at 3rd and Washington at 2nd, Pens were at 1
Washington 2nd?

At best, 3rd because of the division, but 2nd?

Nothing against your opinion, I'm just

Old
03-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I had thought Ottawa would run away again with the conference, and Montreal would finish at best, 6th.

Old
03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Looking at the standings today, my worst evaluation was the Bruins. Never would I have imagined that they could make the playoffs or even compete for a playoff spot. And that was considering a healthy lineup with Bergeron and the others who fell to injury. My favorite hobby is making fun of Claude Julien but he has to take alot of credit for their performance this season.

Old
03-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Avim86

I based myself abit on last year , seeing as how we were strong all year right before the major flu issue. This year I had a feeling Price would bring more consistency then Aebischer could ever , and I knew the young talents this year could really show some surprises. However overall this team is 4-5 spots ahead of what I projected , I pegged this team as a playoff team maybe top 6 barring any serious injuries. The way they have been playing has surely surprised a lot of people , but I've always been optimistic even in the last 5 years or so I'm seeing something I didn't see when we had players like : Benoit Poulin ,Gino Odjick or Sergei berezin... Go Habs Go I believe and will follow this cup run like I've followed every season since the last cup run!

Old
03-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Lone Rogue

What is truly sad is people still continued to eat crow throughout the season. Nevermind beginning predictions.

- Fire Carbonneau (December)
- Gainey (December on)
- Koivu is washed up (Still ongoing)
- Huet being traded was stupid (February)
- We need Hossa (Still ongoing while we're the top scoring team in the East. People still want to sign him for an extravagant amount)
- Fat Tenderness to the AHL (November on, despite his 5 on 5 goals and playing 10 minutes a game, including his high hit count and the fight he got in this year)
- Price is not elite (December/January when Price was sent down to the AHL)
- Hamrlik is overpaid (June)
- We need a goon (After winning the series against Philadelphia and sweeping the Big, Bad Bruins)

There are tons I'm sure I missed. We can be as bad as Leaf fans sometimes. Can't simply weigh out the Pro's and Cons, we have to focus on the Cons and assume our team is horrible.

Old
03-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I expected us to be in a dog fight for 8th.
Never would have expected to be 5th or greater.

Old
03-23-2008, 09:18 PM
karho

I pegged the Habs as 6th to 8th. I always thought they'd make the playoffs but they'd be fighting for the spot until near the end.

I'm glad that I was wrong. To be all but officially confirmed for the playoffs, and even fighting for 1st in the East, is such a nice feeling I haven't experienced in such a long time.

Old
03-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by karho View Post
I pegged the Habs as 6th to 8th. I always thought they'd make the playoffs but they'd be fighting for the spot until near the end.

I'm glad that I was wrong. To be all but officially confirmed for the playoffs, and even fighting for 1st in the East, is such a nice feeling I haven't experienced in such a long time.

i spoke about this yesterday with one of the guys I coach with.
for the first time in so long, comming down to the last 2-3 weeks of the year, i dont have to get stressed out and worried if im gonna be able to see my team play in April.

i laughed him after cuz hes a bruins fan.

Old
03-23-2008, 09:24 PM
RE-HABS

I saw us as a playoff contender, did I see first place no, but I did think in the top 4-6 spots. I thought Buffalo would be weaker because of the players leaving and they were, I didn't believe in Ottawa because to me Emery last season was a fluke and it has played out that way this year, I didn't think NJ would be so high though, I didn't think Philly was going to be battling yet and I didn't think Boston would be either.

The so called reporters always have us written off, I think when you have a team that has so many young talents coming into their won on a team with some good vets that every year we realistically have a chance in making the playoffs. The way this team looks it looks like we will be in the playoffs for many years to come.

Old
03-23-2008, 09:48 PM
snakeye

I had Montreal top 4 for the following reasons:

Higgins was going to do better
Ryder was going to score at least 35
Our decent defense
Goalies
Experience (no Dec 23 crisis)
Kovalev was going to bounce back

Was sooo wrong about the first two, but was right about the rest.

Btw we would have been in 6-7th place if we didn't sweep the Bruins this season.

Old
03-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN85 View Post
Btw we would have been in 6-7th place if we didn't sweep the Bruins this season.
exactly and I think ... not to be negative ... is what trumps the Habs record this year. Now, I don't mean the Habs are weak or whatever but the wins against the Bruins truly make a big difference, so in a sense saying they were supposed to end up 8th or 7th or even 6 isn't that far off.

Old
03-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Toro

I thought 4th to 6th so my caption has said habs in the top 6 all year long.

I thought we would make the transition to a young team but all our young players have contributed positively and some beyond expectations. Pleks has really stepped it up. Komisarek has become the player we all hoped he would be in a few years now....and markov too. Gorges has really impressed and O'Byrne too, wow his size and speed are going to be huge in the playoffs especially if Komo isn't ready to go right away.
The Kostitsyn bros are amazing and grabs and lats are playing good. Lapierre and Chipchura may be the only youngster's that hasn't been consistant enough or been lacking in in a crucial area(faceoffs for these boys) although laps has improved his faceoffs while grabs has been atrocios but otherwise good.

A great number of veterans have excelled this year if not came out of nowhere and had a fantastic season. Kovalev and Streit come to mind. Also hamrlik has been a great addition Souray who? wow. Bouillon has rebounded with a great season keep it up Cube. Begin when healthy has been good and still has his warriors edge for the playoffs. Higgins and Koivu have been inconsistant but have been plagued most of the year playing with Ryder who has completely forgot who he is and what his skills are. Shoot the friggin puck already..dont look for another pass or try to dipsy. Shoot!!

Kovalev Has completely turned his career around, and will no doubt retire a fan favorite hab legend forever now if he keeps it up. His skills are among the greats of all habs time. He seems to have figured out how to communicate to the press properly and has directed his energy towards bettering himself like a good pro. He is special.

Price and Halak have done exactly what i had hoped. But i envisioned this for next year. Now that it is upon us i am glad as this is a young team that needs to learn together. This core of young talent will be hear for a while and will be filled by very good players in the next few years. I get crazy when i type about it....

Go Habs Go

p.s.

Imagine if Smoke had turned out better and ryder didn't lose his touch.

Imagine koivu and higgins with a ryder that pots 32 goals by now? then where would they be in the standings?

I like this team and i like the future, it looks bright.

Old
03-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Mise en echec
Nothin' but mammals

This summer when Koivu said we weren't "contenders", I agreed.

When all the predicions were made, I agreed.

When we traded Huet and left a rookie Price to take the lead in net, I was skeptical, but all in all..

I was WRONG!

This is the only time I'll admit I was wrong, and have a smile on my face while doing it.

Old
03-23-2008, 10:09 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

- I said Habs could be from 4th to 10th as the East was wide open (I thought Ottawa would run away with it).
- I said Kovalev would rebound this season
- I said the kids will keep progressing
- I said Carbo would improve as a coach

Was I confident in those predictions? No.
Did I have us fighting for no1 this late? No.
Did I think anything can happen? YES

Old
03-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Russeltown

- I said the Habs would finish 6th or 7th.
- I said the Habs should get rid of Kovalev.
- I was really mad when Hossa was traded to Pittsburgh.

Old
03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
exactly and I think ... not to be negative ... is what trumps the Habs record this year. Now, I don't mean the Habs are weak or whatever but the wins against the Bruins truly make a big difference, so in a sense saying they were supposed to end up 8th or 7th or even 6 isn't that far off.
If we didn't sweep the bruins.....

Well.... If we were 3-3 against the sens instead of 1-5 and 5-3 against the bruins, we'd still be in first in the division...

I hate the IF we didn't do this argument.... Its a moot point, cause it happened....

If we were better vs the west or if the leafs swept us... are just as relevant arguments as any looking at our record vs the bruins.

Closed Thread