HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

ESPN breaks it down, contracts & players

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2004, 02:35 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
ESPN breaks it down, contracts & players

Good article going over all the available guys and contracts.

Dollars and Sense

Old
02-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Reign Nateo

Very astute breakdowns for the available players. I would agree with most if not all of what he said.

Old
02-04-2004, 03:43 PM
PhoPhan

Say what you want about ESPN's hockey coverage, but EJ Hradek is always on the ball.

Old
02-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Takeo

Hey some props to ESPN, what do you know...

Old
02-04-2004, 03:53 PM
neelynugs

good job by hradek...however, i disagree on kolzig and lang. i think those guys will fetch a very significant return, regardless of their contract. kolzig is a money goalie, and money goalies making 6 million are still pretty valuable. lang is a top 5 scorer with nobody to pass to- i think detroit would be willing to take him and his salary on, and give up a solid asset to boot.

Old
02-04-2004, 03:57 PM
officeglen

Excellent article. Now can we ignore it and get back to trading without contract consequences?

Old
02-04-2004, 03:58 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
good job by hradek...however, i disagree on kolzig and lang. i think those guys will fetch a very significant return, regardless of their contract. kolzig is a money goalie, and money goalies making 6 million are still pretty valuable. lang is a top 5 scorer with nobody to pass to- i think detroit would be willing to take him and his salary on, and give up a solid asset to boot.
Lang will fetch something valuable. He's competing for the Art Ross for pete's sake. And he makes similar to Naslund money. If he's consistent, then $5 M per is not overpaid.
Kolzig probably won't fetch as much as you're thinking. The goalie market isn't hot right now and Kolzig isn't at his Vezina year form(that's when he signed the $6 M per contract right?). Perhaps under a different system and team he'll flourish again, but right now his value isn't that high.

Old
02-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Darth Milbury

I disagree about Nikolai Khabibulin. I don't think Tampa is going to even consider moving him. But, as always, that is just my guess and I claim no inside information.

Old
02-04-2004, 04:50 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Lang is 33 now. Isn't he signed through to 2007? The problem with that isn't this year, its the next year and next year...

Old
02-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
Disagree with your point.

Kolzig has been a money goaltender once, about 6 years ago. Since then his team has been bounced in the first round 3 or 4 times, with at least a couple of those to a lower seeded team. Add in he is REALLY struggling this year (and it's not just the defense either - he's let in some real soft goals), and I don't see how teams would be lining up to pick up over $12M of contract over the next two year.

Lang is having a career year, and playing great. But a team would be on the hook for 3 more years after this one, and if (when more likely) Lang comes back to his very respectable 2nd line forward production (& icetime on a good team), he will be way overpaid.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:37 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
Kolzig has been a money goaltender once, about 6 years ago. Since then his team has been bounced in the first round 3 or 4 times, with at least a couple of those to a lower seeded team. Add in he is REALLY struggling this year (and it's not just the defense either - he's let in some real soft goals), and I don't see how teams would be lining up to pick up over $12M of contract over the next two year.

Old
02-04-2004, 06:54 PM
EroCaps

Kolzig stands on his head in the playoffs, it was the visionless, leaderless, immature coaching, and defeatist veterans who let the Caps down the last 3-4 years.

If goalies could wear the "C", it'd be Olie's, and his teammates have always known that.

Old
02-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Malefic74

It was a good list, but is there a Canes fan who can confirm on Brind'amour? I could have sworn he had a NTC on that sweetheart of a deal he's got.

Old
02-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I disagree about Nikolai Khabibulin. I don't think Tampa is going to even consider moving him. But, as always, that is just my guess and I claim no inside information.
You're right, moving him is not an option, not to mention the info given is WRONG anyway. You'd think someone who's writing for ESPN could at least use a fact checker. Khabi's contract this year is for $4.4+ mil, not $3.5, with a bonus of $1 mil for making the playoffs (which looks likely). Basically, not knowing what the other bonuses are for, he'll be making at least $5.4 this season, so picking up the option for $6.5 isn't such a big jump and moving him to save salary isn't necessary.

Old
02-05-2004, 09:59 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
It was a good list, but is there a Canes fan who can confirm on Brind'amour? I could have sworn he had a NTC on that sweetheart of a deal he's got.

Yes, he does have a NTC, which I'm sure he would waive depending upon the team.

Old
02-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Zhackpot

Bure is on the list and I'm sure Florida would love to move him if they can get a decent return.

Dudley knows Bure won't put up good numbers next season (whenever that is?).

Contract year=Good year for Val.

Whatever team he goes to should only sign him to a two year deal that way they only have to put up with one bad season before he turns it on the year his contract expires.

Closed Thread