HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan plans to return...

Old
03-24-2008, 02:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
No, but i'd like to see him on the 3rd line with Drury & Callahan, that line would be relentless pressure.
Yeah, that's something I'd certainly be open to trying.

03-24-2008, 02:12 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Players can always adapt later in their careers. Dave Andreychuk was a checking line center at the end of his career and killed penalties. I'm not exactly sure if he was still getting power play time at that point, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was. Shanahan on the third line (less even strength time but still some power play minutes) would be a good idea.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
pld459666

Shanny.

Here's $500,000.00, you will get 3rd line minutes and no PP or PK run.

Experience, Leadership and the ability to pot a few from the 3rd line is all we ned or want from you going forward.

You have served your purpose, now you need to serve our purpose.

3-4 million? HELL NO. Way to effing much.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
xnyker

Like Shanny said in an earlier interview this season, it's to bad there isn't a designated hitter postion in Hockey. Aside from his scoring, his leadership and experience are very valuable, exactley where do they fit on this team next year or into the future who knows. Renney said something about protecting Shanny, I think that would also include his rep as a future Hall of Famer.

xnyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:20 PM
TomLaidlaw

You put Prucha at 1.6 mill into Shanny's 5.0 mill spot and we would get better bang for our buck. Prucha scored 52 goals in his first two seasons playing on the 3rd line and on our 2nd PP unit. What if I presented Prucha with this situation. Hey Petr I am gonna let you play alongside Dawes and Scott Gomez at even strength all season. Also I am gonna let you play on our 1st PP unit and you can just sit in the slot and let the other 4 players on the ice do all the work to set your shot up. Not only that, I am gonna allow you to never enter any high contact areas and never expect you to forecheck at all. Would everyone agree that is exactly Shanny's current situation with our team? Does anyone think it would be outlandish to expect 20 goals from Prucha if we put him in that type of scenario? If anyone replies with " but Prucha wouldn't fight Brash" I am gonna cyber slap you.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:23 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
It doesn't matter what we pay him, it matters what he makes and that's 8.6. Shanahan took a dramatic pay cut from last year and also from 2 seasons agao.

7 million > 4 million > 2.5 million

His payments are not bonuses. They are statistical milestones. That's not his fault if he reaches them. That's the rangers organization fault for offering them. We act like he designed this contract. Since the start free agent period last summer he has said that he has made his money and just wants to play hockey.

The problem is, Ranger fans (including me) like to attack players who are not performing at the current moment. I don't see anybody booing Malik at the garden anymore. I don't see his name being brought up in posts as the broken ranger. Shanahan has done nothing but good for this team and he is worth every penny of 2.5 million. Just for his intangibles.
What am I missing here? Shanahan gets paid 5.3M this season and not a penny less. He got a significant raise from last season.
(2.5M base + 2M bonus for playing 10 games + 0.8M bonus for Rangers reaching playoffs)

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Fletch

We talked about Shanny's production...

in another thread at another time. Here's some interesting stats as I rethink his production (and his 1 goal, 5 points and -2 in the last 10 games):

he now has the same amount of goals as Prucha scored last season and he's done it with 40 more PP minutes and 17 more ES minutes (and those aren't ES minutes with Blair Betts, something Prucha had to contend with last season).

Interesting stats.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
in another thread at another time. Here's some interesting stats as I rethink his production (and his 1 goal, 5 points and -2 in the last 10 games):

he now has the same amount of goals as Prucha scored last season and he's done it with 40 more PP minutes and 17 more ES minutes (and those aren't ES minutes with Blair Betts, something Prucha had to contend with last season).

Interesting stats
But Fletch....he gives great interviews!! Stop bringing facts into this argument. Make sure you make your way to the Petr Prucha trade value thread there is a debate wheter we should trade him for a AHL'er, 7th round pick, or Jed Ortmeyer. Good times.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd carom View Post
Second that.
I third that.

I love Shanny. Great guy. But the guy can not skate anymore.

Cherepanov SHOULD take his spot next year.

Dawes - Gomez - Cherepanov

As the second line. That line would be incredible to watch all year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:39 PM
The Thomas J.*

i'm not surprised he want's to play another year, if Jagr doesn't come back Shanny Stays a Ranger.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Interesting stats.
Good points here.

I love Shanny as a leader, but I think its time for him to go unless he's willing to play on the 3rd line and take a pay-cut. Not the ridiculous 750k people are proposing, but no more than 2.5mil plus some milestone bonuses.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I third that.

I love Shanny. Great guy. But the guy can not skate anymore.

Cherepanov SHOULD take his spot next year.

As the second line. That line would be incredible to watch all year.
You can't bank on Cherepanov next season.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Good points here.

I love Shanny as a leader, but I think its time for him to go unless he's willing to play on the 3rd line and take a pay-cut. Not the ridiculous 750k people are proposing, but no more than 2.5mil plus some milestone bonuses.
you can't give Shanahan 2.5 when your this tight to the cap

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

Interesting stats.
And the man comes through.

My laziness to show up some statistics and search around for Shannys bonuses this year have payed off since others have done it for me.

Shanny costs us 5.3m this year. Jagr costs us 4.2. Jagr has played in all the games. Jagr has done more offensively. Shanahan can't skate. Jagr creates chances. Shanahan shoots right to the goalies chest.

He's more of a detriment in killing the teams overall speed, flow, and play than he is by scoring his 22 goals. As Fletch said, with more minutes in both PP and ES playing with Gomez and Drury and Dawes and better players, Shanahan has scored the same amount as Petr Prucha has.

Shanahan isn't worth over 2$ million. Including bonuses. Want him for 2$ million? Ok, sure, I'll take that. 15-20 goals for 2$ million is something I'd consider. I'm going to go out like everyone else defending Shanny and say THIRD LINER + PP for 2$ million. Certainly reasonable.

Shanahan won't take that though because he isn't like that. Massive ego.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm not going to get into the Shanny debate.

I do think the priority for the off-season should be finding a scoring winger to play with Gomez.
Cherepanov.

Has the speed, skill, and hockey sense to play in the NHL.

get him on a good conditioning plan and he would be incredible with Gomez and Dawes.

With Gomez, Drury, and every other vet on the squad there would be plenty of the right kind of guys to mentor him.

Having Tyutin to help with with the language is another plus.

If they can get Anisimov on the third line center and bump Drury to the top line LW that could also help all involved.

That would get Jagr and Dubinsky someone who goes to the net... and stays there for rebounds. And someone who is very sound defensively.

Gives Gomez a RW who can keep up and someone that Gomez would know can carry the puck and not be stationary.

Gives us a cheap, young center who can play both sides of the puck.

And makes it possible to have a 4th line that can put the puck in the net and not ONLY focus on defense.

Drury - Dubinsky - Jagr
Straka - Anisimov - Avery
Callahan - Betts - Sjostrom

Just an idea.

Plus that frees up some money (along with Malik and Mara going bye bye) to go out and sign a defenseman who can help the PP.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

this is a no brainer for me, we DO NOT resign him. We still need to re-sign Avery and I would rather re-sign Avery and maybe add a key FA for next season.

As for needing more 20 goal-scorers, here they are:
Drury - has 23 now
Jagr - has 19, will probably reach 20
Avery - has 15 goals in 50 games, believe it or not, over an 82 game season that averages out to 24.6 goals. So yes, Avery can and will score 20 if healthy.
Straka - has 13 in 58 games, thats 18.4 goals in a full season.

Then of course everyone is forgetting that with Shany gone guys like Dawes, Callahan, Dubinsky and Prucha will all get more ice time. We already know Prucha can get 20 goals, he has done it in the past. I'm sure at least one of Dawes, Callahan and Dubinsky can get us another 20 goals. If Cherepanov plays, who knows how many he will score.

So we will have about 5-6 20 goal scorers next season WITHOUT Shany, so whats the problem?

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Chimp

Way too many in here think of Cherepanov as some kind of saviour come next season. Don't hope too much. Personally, I would like him to stay in RSL another year to develop. He's not ready for NHL and certainly not top6 duty.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Cherepanov.

Has the speed, skill, and hockey sense to play in the NHL.

get him on a good conditioning plan and he would be incredible with Gomez and Dawes.

With Gomez, Drury, and every other vet on the squad there would be plenty of the right kind of guys to mentor him.

Having Tyutin to help with with the language is another plus.

If they can get Anisimov on the third line center and bump Drury to the top line LW that could also help all involved.

That would get Jagr and Dubinsky someone who goes to the net... and stays there for rebounds. And someone who is very sound defensively.

Gives Gomez a RW who can keep up and someone that Gomez would know can carry the puck and not be stationary.

Gives us a cheap, young center who can play both sides of the puck.

And makes it possible to have a 4th line that can put the puck in the net and not ONLY focus on defense.

Drury - Dubinsky - Jagr
Straka - Anisimov - Avery

Just an idea.

Plus that frees up some money (along with Malik and Mara going bye bye) to go out and sign a defenseman who can help the PP.

I agree with you that Cherepanov is ready for the NHL. I would however leave the Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr line together since they have great chemistry. My lines for next season would be.

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Straka
Drury - Anisimov - Cherepanov

I like Cherepanov with Anisimov since they are both Russian and have played a bit together in the WJC. Anisimov is good defensively and Drury will help on D as well on that line. I think this will give us 4 VERY deep lines.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
NYR Viper

the thing that is bothering me is that the rangers have one of the best farm systems in the league and people are saying there wont be any replacements for guys like shanny, jagr, and straka......guys like callahan, dubinsky, dawes, prucha, and sjostrom have the talent to replace those three.....all three have underperformed for the amount of money they are making and it will be the same way next year.....

there are free agents who could be interesting such as ryder and stillman who could come in and play on the top lines if need be but i think dawes and callahan and dubi and even sjostrom can score 15-25 goals each next year.......witht he added playing time they could reach those marks.......let gomez and drury be the leaders they were brought in to be and let go of the slower, older players.....

no matter what anyone says the rangers have been in a rebuilding mode for the past 3-4 years.....they traded away practically their whole team to get picks and prospects and they have protected their prospects like they are gold....because they know that winning right now, although very possible is second to making a good organization who can win year-after-year......next year is whan it all takes effect, start the change sather....time to play younger more energetic players

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Then of course everyone is forgetting that with Shany gone guys like Dawes, Callahan, Dubinsky and Prucha will all get more ice time.
Please don't mention Dawes and/or Prucha in same sentence with Shanahan.

I'm no fan of Shanny, but ... everything has its limits.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I agree with you that Cherepanov is ready for the NHL. I would however leave the Avery-Dubinsky-Jagr line together since they have great chemistry. My lines for next season would be.

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Straka

I like Cherepanov with Anisimov since they are both Russian and have played a bit together in the WJC. Anisimov is good defensively and Drury will help on D as well on that line. I think this will give us 4 VERY deep lines.
Why exactly is Shanahan being raked over the coals while Straka is getting a pass in this thread? What has Straka done to warrant a contract next season? For that matter is Straka worth the 3.3M he's making this season?

To the point about Cherepanov, it's fair to be excited about his potential. It's a mistake to bank on him making the team next season.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Straka

that line-up is so soft, they will get pushed around every game.....

dawes-gomez-cheraponov
avery-dubinsky-callahan
sjostrom-anisimov-drury
byers/korpikoski-betts-orr

prucha can play with sjostrom and drury if anisimov isnt ready or with gomez and dawes if cheraponov isnt ready.......no need for guys like jagr and straka to come back when players like byers and korpikoski are ready to play in the nhl....why hold them back and not have enough room in hartford for the players they want to play more....

Old
03-24-2008, 03:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Why exactly is Shanahan being raked over the coals while Straka is getting a pass in this thread? What has Straka done to warrant a contract next season? For that matter is Straka worth the 3.3M he's making this season?
Common, the guy is playing hurt. Whatever he did before the injury is worth his pay.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 03:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

To the point about Cherepanov, it's fair to be excited about his potential. It's a mistake to bank on him making the team next season.
i think people realize that straka still has the speed to play the game and still gives 100% effort out there.....he also is a very versatile player......plus he isnt making anywhere near as much as shanny.......i would take the speedy winger who tries and goes into the corners over a player who hs a good shot but cant skate and wont hit anything

Old
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Straka

don't forget byers, moore, korpikoski too

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote