HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

GAME TAKES: officially in the playoffs - Mtl: 7 Ott: 5

Old
03-24-2008, 10:13 PM
m00ks

vCash: 500
This victory is so sweet at the expense of the Senators. I'm licking my chops. I really could care less about the third period. I'd seriously be lost if I was up 7-1. All four lines scored which is pretty sick. Let's hope we can keep the division lead.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Magic33

got a win, and the truth is, every team in the NHL would start relaxing if they were up 7-1 so im not that upset.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:15 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Did you really have to come in here with your common sense and good sportsmanship? You're ruining a perfectly good B**** fest..
Oh, I already annoyed my quota in the Lapointe thread.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
This victory is so sweet at the expense of the Senators. I'm licking my chops. I really could care less about the third period. I'd seriously be lost if I was up 7-1. All four lines scored which is pretty sick. Let's hope we can keep the division lead.
The only redeeming factor IMO in that 3rd period, was the fact they felt they still had a chance and avoided cheap shots against our better players.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Stephen Locke*

How sweet it is to observe Francois Gagnon being finally humble and admit that he commited a mistake as he deliberately excluded the Habs from playoff contention.

He's fully eating crow!He demands to be excused....

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:24 PM
guest1467

Something interesting:

Kovalev leads the team in 8 major catergories:

Goals, Assists, Points, Plus/Minus, PP goals, PP points, Pts/game and Ice time for forwards.

What a season he is having.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:30 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
How sweet it is to observe Francois Gagnon being finally humble and admit that he commited a mistake as he deliberately excluded the Habs from playoff contention.
I wonder what he'll have to say about the third...

But let's face it... Ottawa does not score four goals in the third if Montreal does not enter it with a six-goal lead. Period.

I wish that they'd had a real blowout because it would have been so sweet against the Sens and it would have been so nice to shut down the Triumvirate... but whatever. Big game, big win, and for all that Hab fans had palpitations, it was never really in doubt.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
PricePkPatch

Hum.. I'm watching the replay of the match, (with no interruption, a simple 60 of cardiac pulsion if you don't know what happened in the actual game), and I am simply surprise of all the post we hit during the game.

About 2-3, if memory serves right, once in the 3rd period.

I would not say that the 3rd period was 100% bad. I mean, we got our chances to score, we simply went badlucky on those. If we managed to score on that post hit, their back would have been truly broken, 8-3.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Kirk Muller

Top minutes

Heatley 25:43
Alfie 24:05
Spezza 24:13
Stillman 22:12
Vermette 20:14

Thats what going to happen in the third when one team continues to roll out its top offensive forwards and the other coach responds with 3rd and 4th lines trying to play "defensive" hockey.

Never been more pissed about a win.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:57 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Thats what going to happen in the third when one team continues to roll out its top offensive forwards and the other coach responds with 3rd and 4th lines trying to play "defensive" hockey.
Very good point, although I bet Carbo was also trying to keep Kovalev and company away from Neil and his ilk. And even with the piss-poor effort in the third period, where the Habs mailed it in and expected the Sens to do the same, the game was never really in doubt except in the minds of some overly tested Hab fans.

Turns out that no, the Habs could not figure out a way to lose this one.

But see -- the Habs are going to go on a 3-game layoff. And the Sens have a game at 7PM tomorrow -- today now. A game where this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Heatley 25:43
Alfie 24:05
Spezza 24:13
Stillman 22:12
Vermette 20:14
Might suddenly not sound like a good idea in hindsight.

I think that the Habs have earned themselves some leniency about the third by building that 7-1 lead in an dominating fashion in the first place, wouldn't you say? Earned themselves five goals of leniency, actually, and they only used four.

That third period debacle leaves a bad taste in my mouth, too, and it's really taking the edge of my joy. I sooooo would have liked a blowout. But seriously -- it was a *six* *goal* *lead*. Ottawa simply does not score four goals on Montreal if Montreal had not gone into that period leading 7-1. That put the game out of reach. Key words: "out of reach". That third period was entirely garbage time, stressed fans or not. Perfect time to rest the big guns and give the kids and the grinders some ice.

Let's focus on the positives. Montreal did to demonstrate that they could build a 7-1 lead against Ottawa. They slew a dragon. They clinched a playoff spot, which was the season's objective and we're now in "everything else in gravy" mode. Speaking of gravy, they have a 5-point lead on the division title and are extremely likely to end up with home ice in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erythro73 View Post
I think we got lucky to win the game. Add another five minutes, and we lose.
Lucky???? The Habs built up a 7-1 lead!

Winning at that point isn't lucky, it's a given!

So what do I do here?

Am I filled with glee because my team took a 7-1 lead in an extremely dominating fashion?

Or am I worried because they gave up four unanswered goals in a single period -- after clearly letting up?

I really dislike Ottawa and I would have liked to leave them with a soul-crushing 7-1 loss, especially with them playing again in less than 24 hours. And I wanted to see the Big Line shut down.

That said... Montreal suckered them into tiring themselves into a futile comeback against a 6-goal lead with another game hours away...

So yeah. Weird win. Kind of an odd way to clinch. Feels oddly unsatisfying despite the fact that Ottawa was pretty thoroughly beaten.

Have to believe they killed a dragon tonight tho.

Still... CH Express is at the 40-minute mark and I'll turn the TV off now.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Corey

It's a good thing I resisted the impulse to post on the Ottawa board when the score was 7-1. For 2 periods the Senators were pathetic stumblebums. In the 3rd the Habs took their place. It was a relief the game ended when it did.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
So what do I do here?

Am I filled with glee because my team took a 7-1 lead in an extremely dominating fashion?

Or am I worried because they gave up four unanswered goals in a single period -- after clearly letting up?

I really dislike Ottawa and I would have liked to leave them with a soul-crushing 7-1 loss, especially with them playing again in less than 24 hours. And I wanted to see the Big Line shut down.

That said... Montreal suckered them into tiring themselves into a futile comeback against a 6-goal lead with another game hours away...

So yeah. Weird win. Kind of an odd way to clinch. Feels oddly unsatisfying despite the fact that Ottawa was pretty thoroughly beaten.

Have to believe they killed a dragon tonight tho.

Still... CH Express is at the 40-minute mark and I'll turn the TV off now.
Reading the Sens board propped up my mood. Lots of very insightful posters there. For any Sens fans reading this: yes, you are right, your goaltending does suck!

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Erythro73

Lesson learned... I hope.

I was so proud that the habs took a 7-1 lead, geez, even Bouillon and Kostopoulos scored.

But damn they made me swear in the third. Me and my gf were stressed out, especially during that 3-5.

Erythro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:07 PM
superstar436

the problem is not to use ur defensive line against other team best line coz that is how BG and carbo lived. The real problem that worries me is that we dončt have a real 3rd line that does the shut down job

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You couldn't really ask for a better 3rd period. Montreal was reminded by the sens that you can never let your gaurd down no matter if its 3-1 or 7-1. This reminder was delivered strongly and no points had to be sacrificed while recieving the message.

It will keep the habs sharp down the stretch and into the playoffs. In a strange way, the sens kinda did the habs a favour.

I agree 100% with you.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I'm glad the Habs have a few days to think about that 3rd period before playing a Buffalo team that will be playing their 3rd game in 4 nights on Friday.

I'm ecstatic that they're in the playoffs and have a 7 point division lead!

Bill McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Habsrichard

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but it's hard to say a team that had a 7-1 lead was lucky to win the game. They obviously backed off in the 3rd which made it close, but they still won by 2. If there had been more time left, the Habs may have played a little different.

Habsrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Montrealer

I would much rather give up 4 goals in a period up 6 then give up 4 goals in a period down 2.

I also enjoy a very young team learning very important lessons at the least cost possible. I think the 3rd period of this game qualifies.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
You're right. If the league suddenly switches to 70 minute games, we're in big trouble. Gainey must address this contingency in the off-season.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Montreals next game is Friday with 4 days rest against Buffalo who will play 2 times on Tuesday and Thursday vs Ottawa before that game.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Erika

Good for the win and clinching a playoff spot, but a pathetic 3rd period made me nervous but not surprise...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Lucky???? The Habs built up a 7-1 lead!

Winning at that point isn't lucky, it's a given!
Agree 100%

you build up a 7-1 lead you kinda give yourself room to slack abit.
Is it acceptable? well, no, because it gives heart attacks but EVERY team in every league slows down when up huge in the last period.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Stradale

I still wonder why Carbo never wants to use his time out.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:35 PM
m00ks

Quite easy to forget the third for me. I take refuge in the fact that we were able to score 7 (most are pretty pretty goals I might add) against Ottawa and that we simply held down the A-S-H line for 40 min without Komisarek. Also comforting to see that it was a team breakdown rather than a goalie breakdown. When Price was basically alone for most of the third, he held it down as much as he could and really couldn't be faulted.
7-1 lead coming into the last 20 min? In your mind you've beaten them, you've embarrassed them, you've shut them down, it's hard to keep a strong motivation to finish the game. We got the two points and a monkey off our back. There's no sense getting greedy.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 03-25-2008 at 02:16 PM.
m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I still wonder why Carbo never wants to use his time out.
Didn't he use it when it was 7-4 to add on to the TV timeout?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote